The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Watched from the Window ... » Pearl Jam

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 535 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 23, 24, 25, 26, 27

Rate Vs.
5 Stars 71%  71%  [ 82 ]
4 Stars 23%  23%  [ 27 ]
3 Stars 5%  5%  [ 6 ]
2 Stars 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
1 Star 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 115
 Post subject: Re: Vs: Official Album thread
PostPosted: Mon December 18, 2023 11:47 pm 
tl;dr

If only I could forgive myself

PostPosted: Tue December 19, 2023 12:23 am 
likes rhythmic things that butt up against each other

Kevin Davis wrote:
"1,2,3,4, papa gets one."

:haha:
Papa deserves at least 1 out of 5.
I didn’t even know Ed was counting until about my 10th listen.

PostPosted: Tue December 19, 2023 9:08 pm 
AnalLog

Matters wrote:
When I was younger it felt like the “I can feel your heart in your neck” lyric was kinda nonsense but later in life the interpretation hit me that the narrator is kneeling over a still living gun shot victim and feeling for a pulse. I always liked the song but that really improved it for me.

The last line switching to "I can steal your heart from your neck" always evoked Mortal Kombat fatality imagery to my younger self.

PostPosted: Tue December 19, 2023 9:13 pm 
Fake NYC Setlist Relayer

Buby wrote:
Matters wrote:
When I was younger it felt like the “I can feel your heart in your neck” lyric was kinda nonsense but later in life the interpretation hit me that the narrator is kneeling over a still living gun shot victim and feeling for a pulse. I always liked the song but that really improved it for me.

The last line switching to "I can steal your heart from your neck" always evoked Mortal Kombat fatality imagery to my younger self.

Finish him!

PostPosted: Tue December 19, 2023 10:12 pm 
AnalLog

liebzz wrote:
Buby wrote:
Matters wrote:

Finish him!

:lol:

PostPosted: Fri December 22, 2023 12:23 pm 
AnalLog

tommy wrote:
Dissident and Leash are the true stinkers on this album

nevertheless is was Dissident that stuck in my head with that intrusive melody. "A dissideeeeeaant!.. a dissident is heeeeeeaaaaawwwwwwwwaaaaahh.."

PostPosted: Sat March 30, 2024 7:25 pm 
Fake NYC Setlist Relayer

So…the link to Let’s Actually Listen to Vs. didn’t work. I tried.

Here’s the run down for Vs.

Vs.: Go, Animal, Daughter, Glorified G, Dissident, WMA, Blood, Rearviewmirror, Rats, Small Town, Leash Indifference

B-sides: Angel (Xmas Single), Alone (Go single), Cready Stomp (expanded Vs.), Hold On (expanded Vs.), Crazy Mary (expanded Vs.), Bee Girl (Lost Dogs)

Seattle, WA 12/8/93: Release, Even Flow, Dissident, Sick O’ Pussies, Go, Animal, Jeremy, Deep, Why Go, Daughter, Glorified G, Alive, Once, Footsteps, Porch, Encore Break, Last Exit, Tremor Christ, Blood, State of Love and Trust, I’ve Got a Feeling, Rearviewmirror, Encore Break 2, Rockin in the Free World

https://open.spotify.com/playlist/3jp0h ... mx4RLVT7yF

PostPosted: Sat March 30, 2024 9:37 pm 
Fake NYC Setlist Relayer

Starting with Vs., this is the album that really made me a fan. Largely an unaware 15 year old, I went to my friend’s small communion party, and as a group of us were hanging out, my friend opened a gift that was the cassette of this album. She popped the album into her tape player and the rest is history. Despite never hearing this before, any of it, it somehow seemed as it does today, like a collection of songs I have always known, and have always been a part of me. They still are.

Go and Animal open this thing with a fury, the kind of thing where no matter what you are doing and how fast things go by, they seem in slow motion compared to what’s happening. I remember playing some basketball game, I think Bulls vs. Blazers, and while going as fast as I can, it felt like slow walking up the court to this in the background. Daughter and Small Town are the two that just seem so familiar and yet distinct at the same time. Songs that lives have been lived in. Rearviewmirror is one of their great tunes that maybe got old for me at one point but I appreciate every bit of it now. Indifference pulls the magic trick of being a rallying cry where the words and the vibe have no business being so. WMA is that grower of a song that you still find nuggets to enjoy 30 years later. This one doesn’t at all sound like Ten (save for Dissident and to some extent Leash), but it has its own character and warmth, and quirks like Rats, that separate it for me from the grandeur of Ten, and make it ultimately the superior album.

The b-sides are not as extensive but still high quality. Alone (which is probably just as easily a Ten b-side), the big Cready Stomp, the Dave A. Angel, all good stuff, save for the silly Bee Girl. I’m sure I missed stuff but perhaps I will catch back on when talking about the show…

PostPosted: Mon April 01, 2024 12:30 pm 
Fake NYC Setlist Relayer

Okay, regarding this live show, the Vs. shows, and era I think ultimately marked between summer ‘93 through April ‘94 are undoubtedly some of the most ferocious shows in this band’s history. If ‘91 & ‘92 are marked by a band in a wild ride and playing their asses off, ‘93 finds the band full of piss and vinegar, taking the wild energy of the Ten era shows and adding angst perhaps from the rapid fame Vedder found. Who really knows except there’s a chip on their shoulders, and Vedder’s voice is taken over the edge repeatedly on this era’s Deep, Blood, Porch, Jeremy, Animal, etc. Go absolutely rips on this tour. In my own adulthood, I came to really prefer the more measured yet still powerful tours in the second half of the 90s, but this captures a true moment in time.

PostPosted: Mon April 01, 2024 12:57 pm 
The worst

I think that 94 transition tour may be their very best live moment (I'd say 2005 may be second)

I Am No Guide - Pearl Jam Song by Song - Coming this July!
He/Him/His

PostPosted: Mon April 01, 2024 2:57 pm 
Major Dude

stip wrote:
I think that 94 transition tour may be their very best live moment (I'd say 2005 may be second)

Don’t think I can disagree with that.

PostPosted: Mon April 01, 2024 2:59 pm 
jeeeesus relax already

stip wrote:

im a huge fan of 2005 so im very happy with seeing it mentioned here

PostPosted: Mon April 01, 2024 8:55 pm 
Broken Tamborine

tommy wrote:
Dissident and Leash are the true stinkers on this album

And that's why Vs is the best record of all time.

PostPosted: Mon April 01, 2024 9:27 pm 
Fake NYC Setlist Relayer

Dissident is one of those songs that if I hear it on the radio or in life by surprise, I’m totally into it, it in the context of Vs., where everything is exciting a new, it feels like the song most revisiting Ten, but never reaches the heights of most of the songs on that album. It suffers in comparison, but in its own it is a very good song. And is the second of songs to note this week that works on both Ten and Vs. - but it is at the bottom of the album personally for me. But that said, the flavor ice cream I love the least, I still love.

PostPosted: Mon April 01, 2024 9:29 pm 
Broken Tamborine

The guitar work is amazing in Dissident.

One of their best.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 535 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 23, 24, 25, 26, 27

Board index » Watched from the Window ... » Pearl Jam