The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Watched from the Window ... » Pearl Jam

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 708 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29 ... 36  Next

Wreckage (so far)
5 stars 50%  50%  [ 52 ]
4 stars 40%  40%  [ 42 ]
3 stars 5%  5%  [ 5 ]
2 stars 4%  4%  [ 4 ]
1 star 2%  2%  [ 2 ]
Total votes : 105
 Post subject: Re: Wreckage
PostPosted: Wed April 17, 2024 4:32 pm 
jeeeesus relax already

Tj wrote:
I'm slayed. Just slayed. Alot of loss this last few months for me in the way of loved ones passing. I knew for whatever the reason I hadn't really dealt with it.
The song just as a song is stunning. Jeff's bass is really what is allowing this to take off. Ed owes him here. Mike guitar is harmonious with Ed in this in way I haven't heard. Then the words my they resonate. This could settle in my too 5 all time. I won't know that for at least half a decade. Knowing what life starts to look like in middle age and beyond yeah this goes in my knapsack.

damn im sorry about your last months, im glad this one feels closer to you.

PostPosted: Wed April 17, 2024 4:34 pm 
AnalLog

Strat, this album is gonna resurrect you and kill you again a hundred times over

PostPosted: Wed April 17, 2024 4:34 pm 
Yeah Yeah Yeah

"Spoils go the victor, and the other left for dead"

Surely about Chris Cornell/ Vicky

PostPosted: Wed April 17, 2024 4:35 pm 
jeeeesus relax already

worldwithyourheart wrote:
"Spoils go the victor, and the other left for dead"

Surely about Chris Cornell/ Vicky

yeah, could be

PostPosted: Wed April 17, 2024 4:37 pm 
The Master

RockPusher wrote:
Strat, this album is gonna resurrect you and kill you again a hundred times over

Death by joy. I welcome it

My lifestyle determines my deathstyle.

PostPosted: Wed April 17, 2024 4:39 pm 
She / Her

I'm obsessed with Wreckage immediately

I like the others but they took time to grow on me

both of these responses is completely normal for me and Pearl Jam

we're gonna be fine, home strait now

Last edited by Ms Harmless on Wed April 17, 2024 4:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

A Return To Form

vedder316 wrote:
Strat wrote:
Im smitten. I haven't had this emotional reaction upon first listen to pearl jam in awhile.

This song is lights. fucking. out.

exact same feeling. wowee

I think it's been maybe 30 years for me. I'm blindsided by all this.

Yeah Yeah Yeah

I love the whole song but from 3:15 out is absolutely wonderful. Damn. 30 + years in and we're still getting this.

PostPosted: Wed April 17, 2024 4:43 pm 
Broken Tamborine

As someone who has crapped on most of their work since Binaural, this song is beautiful. Best they've done in a long, long time imo.

PostPosted: Wed April 17, 2024 4:45 pm 
Rank This Poster

Had a chance to listen to this one a few times (presumably the last taste before release day), I like it. It's definitely my favorite out of the gate in terms of the singles (though Dark Matter's improved for me with repeated listens). I like that it gives the band some space to spread out, and I really like the two instrumental breaks.

I think I wanted something after the choruses for the song to really sink its hooks into me, it felt like it was building to something more momentous instead of petering out. But I do like how they just get to ride the outro for a little while instead of cutting it off prematurely.

I also feel like my hearing must be going, because I'm having an even harder time understanding Ed than usual.

PostPosted: Wed April 17, 2024 4:50 pm 
tl;dr

Strat wrote:
Im smitten. I haven't had this emotional reaction upon first listen to pearl jam in awhile.

It really is -- it's like all of the isolated good bits and pieces of Ed's Springsteen/Petty influence of the last 10-15 years, brought together and put through a Pearl Jam filter in a way that finally makes it feel like theirs and not just his. And man, it just works. Simple but beautiful lyrics, a straightforward yet perfect melody, and a tasteful, unhurried band performance -- the outro feels very Ten-esque in the way that it kind of lingers in the same space without feeling the need to shift structure or direction, and instead just rolls out a red carpet for Eddie to vocalize and pull different shapes and colors from the same few words (I guess in that sense it's also a bit "Come Back"-esque, but...in a good way).

I have heard "Let Me Sleep" referenced a few times in the reviews, and I can't remember if it was in regards to this song or not, but Mike's (I assume it's Mike, it sounds like Mike) riff during the intro gives me serious "Let Me Sleep" throwbacks.

A+ effort. The kind of song that will justify the album for me even if I hate every other track (which I don't expect to).

Last edited by Kevin Davis on Wed April 17, 2024 4:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed April 17, 2024 4:50 pm 
Broken Tamborine

Strat wrote:

I'm kinda in the same boat, some of these songs, and this one in particular are hitting in a way they haven't in a good long time. I'm not really sure why but I'm not gonna overthink it, just gonna enjoy the ride.

PostPosted: Wed April 17, 2024 4:55 pm 
She / Her

Kevin Davis wrote:
Strat wrote:

It really is -- it's like all of the isolated good bits and pieces of Ed's Springsteen/Petty influence of the last 10-15 years, brought together and put through a Pearl Jam filter in a way that finally makes it feel like theirs and not just his. And man, it just works. Simple but beautiful lyrics, a straightforward yet perfect melody, and a tasteful, unhurried band performance -- the outro feels very Ten-esque in the way that it kind of lingers in the same space without feeling the need to shift structure or direction, and instead just rolls out a red carpet for Eddie to vocalize and pull different shapes and colors from the same few words (I guess in that sense it's also a bit "Come Back"-esque, but...in a good way).

I have heard "Let Me Sleep" referenced a few times in the reviews, and I can't remember if it was in regards to this song or not, but Mike's (I assume it's Mike, it sounds like Mike) riff during the intro gives me serious "Let Me Sleep" throwbacks.

A+ effort. The kind of song that will justify the album for me even if I hate every other track (which I don't expect to).

Setting Sun felt very Let Me Sleep to me, especially in terms of percussion

PostPosted: Wed April 17, 2024 5:01 pm 
A Return To Form

Man Eddie is going to sell the hell out of this outro when they play this live.

PostPosted: Wed April 17, 2024 5:05 pm 
Broken Tamborine

Can’t tell if the “combing through the Wreckage” line is worthy (melodically speaking) of the weight it’s given. It’s a great line lyrically.

PostPosted: Wed April 17, 2024 5:11 pm 
Yeah Yeah Yeah

Not sure if this is posted already somewhere, but:

https://youtu.be/M-UaEQHA704?si=g2t4NCQKAaWGA_uW

PostPosted: Wed April 17, 2024 5:14 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

Just listened through Apple Music in my new car stereo and this thing sounded great. I think the production nerds will be happy.

During the outro, when Ed sings that last "combing through the wreckage" line at the very very end, he goes a bit lower and slower and just nails it.

Great, great tune.

PostPosted: Wed April 17, 2024 5:16 pm 
Broken Tamborine

Coach wrote:
Just listened through Apple Music in my new car stereo and this thing sounded great. I think the production nerds will be happy.

During the outro, when Ed sings that last "combing through the wreckage" line at the very very end, he goes a bit lower and slower and just nails it.

Great, great tune.

Production nerds are never happy...it's part of the job description.

PostPosted: Wed April 17, 2024 5:18 pm 
AnalLog

3:50 :heartbeat: :heartbeat: :heartbeat: :hooray:

PostPosted: Wed April 17, 2024 5:18 pm 
Production Police

Homeboyd wrote:
Coach wrote:

Great, great tune.

Production nerds are never happy...it's part of the job description.

:lol: We're never happy once a benchmark has been established. It's really hard to go from Riot Act to whatever this is...

I was listening to U2's War this morning and thought "I bet this sounded AMAZING, until Achtung Baby came out..."

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 708 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29 ... 36  Next

Board index » Watched from the Window ... » Pearl Jam