The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Watched from the Window ... » Pearl Jam

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 708 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30 ... 36  Next

Wreckage (so far)
5 stars 50%  50%  [ 52 ]
4 stars 40%  40%  [ 42 ]
3 stars 5%  5%  [ 5 ]
2 stars 4%  4%  [ 4 ]
1 star 2%  2%  [ 2 ]
Total votes : 105
 Post subject: Re: Wreckage
PostPosted: Wed April 17, 2024 5:19 pm 
Rank This Poster

This is so much better than the “leak” made it seem.

PostPosted: Wed April 17, 2024 5:25 pm 
Future Drummer

Adult contempo, Sirens esc. A Petty turd.

It's funny. How long has this band been around now? Thirty years or so? And they still do the same thing. Songs that "fit" neat categories. It's not bad for what it is, but eh.

Have you considered stacking papers and getting paid?

Last edited by super nintendo chalmers on Wed April 17, 2024 5:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Wed April 17, 2024 5:26 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

tragabigzanda wrote:
Homeboyd wrote:
Coach wrote:
Just listened through Apple Music in my new car stereo and this thing sounded great. I think the production nerds will be happy.

During the outro, when Ed sings that last "combing through the wreckage" line at the very very end, he goes a bit lower and slower and just nails it.

Great, great tune.

Production nerds are never happy...it's part of the job description.

:lol: We're never happy once a benchmark has been established. It's really hard to go from Riot Act to whatever this is...

I was listening to U2's War this morning and thought "I bet this sounded AMAZING, until Achtung Baby came out..."

I love Until the End of the World on that one.

PostPosted: Wed April 17, 2024 5:27 pm 
Production Police

Coach wrote:
tragabigzanda wrote:
Homeboyd wrote:
Coach wrote:
Just listened through Apple Music in my new car stereo and this thing sounded great. I think the production nerds will be happy.

During the outro, when Ed sings that last "combing through the wreckage" line at the very very end, he goes a bit lower and slower and just nails it.

Great, great tune.

Production nerds are never happy...it's part of the job description.

:lol: We're never happy once a benchmark has been established. It's really hard to go from Riot Act to whatever this is...

I was listening to U2's War this morning and thought "I bet this sounded AMAZING, until Achtung Baby came out..."

I love Until the End of the World on that one.

:bammer: Our college radio station played Seconds and I had to just keep listening to the whole album after that. Such a GREAT sounding record.

PostPosted: Wed April 17, 2024 5:33 pm 
Broken Tamborine

This sounds great on my 15 year old Sennheiser corded headphones streaming off Apple Music in normal Non-Spatial Audio/Dolby Atmos.

I have no issues with the drum sounds. The guitars and bass sound rich and clear. Lots of little details happening out on the fringes.

PostPosted: Wed April 17, 2024 5:37 pm 
known prankster

The drums sound live, natural and beautiful. Watt has crafted one of the most beautiful sounding and well produced songs I've heard in years

PostPosted: Wed April 17, 2024 5:38 pm 
Guys, I am not a moderator! I swear to God! Why does everyone think I'm a moderator?

Ms Harmless wrote:

we're gonna be fine, home strait now

Forgive my subject change, but I'm always curious about sayings in different countries. Is this the phrase used there? Here in the States it is the "home stretch". I wonder how/why it changed for us here?

PostPosted: Wed April 17, 2024 5:41 pm 
She / Her

E.H. Ruddock wrote:
Ms Harmless wrote:

Forgive my subject change, but I'm always curious about sayings in different countries. Is this the phrase used there? Here in the States it is the "home stretch". I wonder how/why it changed for us here?

I'm not sure tbh! I understand home stretch as well; I think strait is specific to running? and I've also heard it in Formula 1, which my dad used to love growing up (it's generally pretty popular here among the middle class especially)

PostPosted: Wed April 17, 2024 5:42 pm 
AnalLog

Stone said this came later in the process, at Shangri-La and that his said this one keeps revealing itself to him. His understanding of the song has been a slow burn and is now one of his favorites from DM.

PostPosted: Wed April 17, 2024 5:43 pm 
Guys, I am not a moderator! I swear to God! Why does everyone think I'm a moderator?

Ms Harmless wrote:
E.H. Ruddock wrote:
Ms Harmless wrote:

I'm not sure tbh! I understand home stretch as well; I think strait is specific to running? and I've also heard it in Formula 1, which my dad used to love growing up (it's generally pretty popular here among the middle class especially)

haha yeah, I watch a lot of F1 and hear it there, but they are always announcers from the UK saying it!

PostPosted: Wed April 17, 2024 5:43 pm 
Future Drummer

This is great. I love it.

He sounds so good. I love the background vocals.

:hooray:

PostPosted: Wed April 17, 2024 5:44 pm 
She / Her

E.H. Ruddock wrote:
Ms Harmless wrote:
E.H. Ruddock wrote:
Ms Harmless wrote:

haha yeah, I watch a lot of F1 and hear it there, but they are always announcers from the UK saying it!

lol yep :)

PostPosted: Wed April 17, 2024 5:45 pm 
Production Police

lecherouslittlestump wrote:
The drums sound live, natural and beautiful. Watt has crafted one of the most beautiful sounding and well produced songs I've heard in years

:lol:

PostPosted: Wed April 17, 2024 5:46 pm 
Future Drummer

Aunt_Claire_Foy posted the lyrics in the dark matter thread

Visited by thought
Another darkened day
How you are like the sun
Hiding somewhere beyond the rain

I’m needing for the light
Stormy is the grey
Rivers overflowing
Drowning all our yesterdays

Visited by thoughts
On another darkened week
How even every winner
Hits a losing streak

The mistakes we all make
And perfectly repeat
Chains are made, by dna refusing
Refusing to release

Combing through the wreckage
Pouring through the sand
Surrounded by the remnants
What we could and couldn’t have

Raking through the ashes
Falling through my hands
Charcoal on the faces in the
Burned up photographs

Visited by thoughts
And this I got to say
If you’re feeling the leaving
I can’t make you stay

I’ve only ever wanted
For it not to be this way
But you’re now like the water
And the water will find its way

Holding out,... holding on

Visited by thoughts
And not just in the night
That I no longer give a fuck
Who is wrong and who’s right

This game of winner takes all
And all means nothing left
Spoils go the victor
And the other left for dead

Falling through the wreckage
Crawling through the wreckage
Combing through the wreckage.

PostPosted: Wed April 17, 2024 5:47 pm 
likes rhythmic things that butt up against each other

E.H. Ruddock wrote:
Ms Harmless wrote:
E.H. Ruddock wrote:
Ms Harmless wrote:

Oooooh, I love etymology talk!
Could be it comes from horse racing?
You know, England's staple pastime.

PostPosted: Wed April 17, 2024 5:50 pm 
She / Her

Val wrote:
E.H. Ruddock wrote:
Ms Harmless wrote:
E.H. Ruddock wrote:
Ms Harmless wrote:

ah yeah it's definitely used in horse racing too

also according to Google I should be using the word "straight"; strait means something different? I will continue to use "strait" though as I am allergic to the other word

PostPosted: Wed April 17, 2024 5:52 pm 
likes rhythmic things that butt up against each other

Ms Harmless wrote:
Val wrote:
E.H. Ruddock wrote:
Ms Harmless wrote:
E.H. Ruddock wrote:
Ms Harmless wrote:

also according to Google I should be using the word "straight"; strait means something different? I will continue to use "strait" though as I am allergic to the other word

A strait would a body of water.
Dire Straits, remember

PostPosted: Wed April 17, 2024 5:55 pm 
Future Drummer

Now the reasons I think this is about a divorce/lost relationship and not Chris Cornell....

Quote:
Visited by thought
Another darkened day
How you are like the sun

Stormy is the grey
Rivers overflowing

To me, this is saying that the person whose absence is darkening him is still out there but just not available to him. Reminds me of "I know some day you'll have a beautiful life, I know you'll be a star, in somebody else's sky, but why, why, why, can't it be, oh can't it be mine?"

Quote:
Visited by thoughts
On another darkened week
How even every winner
Hits a losing streak

The mistakes we all make
And perfectly repeat
Refusing to release

Comes off to me as talking about damage done after years of repeating the same patterns, past trauma etc, like a long relationship that finally fractures after years of making the same mistakes and not fixing them.

Quote:
Pouring through the sand

Raking through the ashes
Falling through my hands
Burned up photographs

The charcoal on faces in the burned up photographs thing just feels too personal to me. I see this as being surrounded by old and now sour memories of the life he had and lost.

Quote:
Visited by thoughts
And this I got to say
I can’t make you stay

I’ve only ever wanted

This could be about anything, the death of somebody who committed suicide surely, but also just the simple explanation of somebody wanted to leave him and they did, and there's nothing he can do about it anymore. (this theme will play into other lyrics on other songs that seem to support that reading, but we will get to that when the album releases)
Quote:

Visited by thoughts

Spoils go the victor

This part is IMO the biggest sign this is about a relationship gone sour and not about a friend's death. They used to argue, and it seems unimportant now. That in their quest to be right, and win arguments, etc, they were left with everything (they won) and nothing (they lost the other). I see the "left for dead" part as a double meaning. An expression of how little he and the other person cared about the other and the effect they had on them in their quest to be right, and also him now being left alone by the other, which he is slightly resentful of. So both regretful (I didn't care about your feelings) and mournful/resentful (you don't care for mine).

I see this song as Eddie having been left by somebody he cares about, and he is sad, regretful for his own part in it, acknowledging the patterns that led them there, and slightly angry that it happened and he is surrounded by the remnants to sort through the 'wreckage' he has been left with, his old life now reduced to painful memories.

This reading IMO is also supported by (Spoilers for unreleased song lyrics)
Spoiler: show
Setting Sun, in which Eddie seems to mourn that he tried to repair and hold on to a love with somebody he thought he would be with forever, but they left him, and though he still sees them together he feels that the other person does not. To me there is a mixture of betrayal and regret and desperation.

PostPosted: Wed April 17, 2024 5:55 pm 
Future Drummer

Now the reasons I think this is about a divorce/lost relationship and not Chris Cornell....

Quote:
Visited by thought
Another darkened day
How you are like the sun

Stormy is the grey
Rivers overflowing

To me, this is saying that the person whose absence is darkening him is still out there but just not available to him. Reminds me of "I know some day you'll have a beautiful life, I know you'll be a star, in somebody else's sky, but why, why, why, can't it be, oh can't it be mine?"

Quote:
Visited by thoughts
On another darkened week
How even every winner
Hits a losing streak

The mistakes we all make
And perfectly repeat
Refusing to release

Comes off to me as talking about damage done after years of repeating the same patterns, past trauma etc, like a long relationship that finally fractures after years of making the same mistakes and not fixing them.

Quote:
Pouring through the sand

Raking through the ashes
Falling through my hands
Burned up photographs

The charcoal on faces in the burned up photographs thing just feels too personal to me. I see this as being surrounded by old and now sour memories of the life he had and lost.

Quote:
Visited by thoughts
And this I got to say
I can’t make you stay

I’ve only ever wanted

This could be about anything, the death of somebody who committed suicide surely, but also just the simple explanation of somebody wanted to leave him and they did, and there's nothing he can do about it anymore. (this theme will play into other lyrics on other songs that seem to support that reading, but we will get to that when the album releases)
Quote:

Visited by thoughts

Spoils go the victor

This part is IMO the biggest sign this is about a relationship gone sour and not about a friend's death. They used to argue, and it seems unimportant now. That in their quest to be right, and win arguments, etc, they were left with everything (they won) and nothing (they lost the other). I see the "left for dead" part as a double meaning. An expression of how little he and the other person cared about the other and the effect they had on them in their quest to be right, and also him now being left alone by the other, which he is slightly resentful of. So both regretful (I didn't care about your feelings) and mournful/resentful (you don't care for mine).

I see this song as Eddie having been left by somebody he cares about, and he is sad, regretful for his own part in it, acknowledging the patterns that led them there, and slightly angry that it happened and he is surrounded by the remnants to sort through the 'wreckage' he has been left with, his old life now reduced to painful memories.

This reading IMO is also supported by (Spoilers for unreleased song lyrics)
Spoiler: show
Setting Sun, in which Eddie seems to mourn that he tried to repair and hold on to a love with somebody he thought he would be with forever, but they left him, and though he still sees them together he feels that the other person does not. To me there is a mixture of betrayal and regret and desperation.

PostPosted: Wed April 17, 2024 5:56 pm 
She / Her

Val wrote:
Ms Harmless wrote:
Val wrote:
E.H. Ruddock wrote:
Ms Harmless wrote:
E.H. Ruddock wrote:
Ms Harmless wrote:

A strait would a body of water.
Dire Straits, remember

it means narrow, strict, constricted, as in strait-laced or strait-jacket, does that sound relevant to the water thing?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 708 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30 ... 36  Next

Board index » Watched from the Window ... » Pearl Jam