The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Watched from the Window ... » Pearl Jam

Post subject: Re: Lets Actually Listen to the Album: Gigaton
PostPosted: Sat April 13, 2024 1:41 am 
Future Drummer

This page is full of great takes right now.

PostPosted: Sat April 13, 2024 1:44 am 
She / Her

stip wrote:
Never Destination is really good. Even Gigaton’s least moments are still fine. this is legit one of their best albums

yep!

PostPosted: Sat April 13, 2024 2:51 am 
jeeeesus relax already

Gigaton is great. The album they were supposed to do after Yield maybe.

PostPosted: Sat April 13, 2024 10:25 pm 
The worst

giving gigaton a listen. This absolutely should be held up in any conversation about pearl jam’s great albums. Its such layered, unhurried, almost meditative album. and every song works

I Am No Guide - Pearl Jam Song by Song - Coming this July!
He/Him/His

PostPosted: Sat April 13, 2024 10:26 pm 
jeeeesus relax already

Yeah it’s a current Number 3 and it’s been that way for a while

PostPosted: Sun April 14, 2024 2:20 am 
Fake NYC Setlist Relayer

On the live stuff, I was most impressed with how Alright and Seven O’Clock sounded in the live setting. Add Josh’s Picks and you have a very good Release in there. All good stuff!

PostPosted: Sun April 14, 2024 2:37 am 
10Club Complaint Department

In the lead up to the new album, I recently attempted to make a relatively short (80 mins, give or take) compilation drawn from the 2021-2023 shows, focusing mainly on the Gigaton material where possible.

I made a 'final' version I wasn't ultimately happy with so it's kind of on the back-burner for now but, during that process, I listened to every single live version of the Gigaton songs: they didn't play Seven O'Clock well once, not a single version I was happy with. There's always some blunder, or Ed screws it up, or the band slow down part-way through and lumber on like they're bored out of their minds, etc.

Superblood Wolfmoon and Never Destination were also generally pretty bad, though I could find good (if not great) versions of both.

River Cross, also impossible to find a good version of - and the one time they got it right, Mike blasts straight into SOLAT from the final note of the song. That instant transition between songs is something they do much more often now and, beyond making live compilations tough, I don't think it's actually helped their live performances.

PostPosted: Sun April 14, 2024 2:49 am 
what on earth am I talking about

Birds in Hell wrote:
In the lead up to the new album, I recently attempted to make a relatively short (80 mins, give or take) compilation drawn from the 2021-2023 shows, focusing mainly on the Gigaton material where possible.

I made a 'final' version I wasn't ultimately happy with so it's kind of on the back-burner for now but, during that process, I listened to every single live version of the Gigaton songs: they didn't play Seven O'Clock well once, not a single version I was happy with. There's always some blunder, or Ed screws it up, or the band slow down part-way through and lumber on like they're bored out of their minds, etc.

Superblood Wolfmoon and Never Destination were also generally pretty bad, though I could find good (if not great) versions of both.

River Cross, also impossible to find a good version of - and the one time they got it right, Mike blasts straight into SOLAT from the final note of the song. That instant transition between songs is something they do much more often now and, beyond making live compilations tough, I don't think it's actually helped their live performances.

I’ve a pretty great version of river cross but it’s Ed solo. If it’s any use to you shout

PostPosted: Sun April 14, 2024 3:51 am 
jeeeesus relax already

liebzz wrote:
On the live stuff, I was most impressed with how Alright and Seven O’Clock sounded in the live setting. Add Josh’s Picks and you have a very good Release in there. All good stuff!

Yeah I love that version from Josh’ picks.

I also need to dive into the 2023 boots soon.

PostPosted: Sun April 14, 2024 12:35 pm 
A Return To Form

VinylGuy wrote:
Gigaton is great. The album they were supposed to do after Yield maybe.

Totally this.

PostPosted: Sun April 14, 2024 10:28 pm 
Broken Tamborine

I haven’t been here much in the last few years for just basic life reasons. I have always really enjoyed everyone’s opinions here so I am just surprised by the love for this album. I like half the album but it just never resonated. I can’t explain why.

PostPosted: Mon April 15, 2024 12:09 am 
what on earth am I talking about

jdopj wrote:
I haven’t been here much in the last few years for just basic life reasons. I have always really enjoyed everyone’s opinions here so I am just surprised by the love for this album. I like half the album but it just never resonated. I can’t explain why.

By your own admission

That’s a you thing.

Not a Pearl jam thing.

PostPosted: Mon April 15, 2024 12:31 am 
Fake NYC Setlist Relayer

Yeah, blowing through the whole catalogue in a couple of weeks, I can say I truly enjoyed this one. I love the twists and turns the songs take, that it doesn’t cut off right when it could get good. Even if it’s not experimental turns, they complete songs in ways they really hadn’t done consistently since I would argue either Binaural or Riot Act. The consistency in theme is on par with at least the self-titled, and yet, this thing has its own personality and doesn’t ultimately come off to me, super fan, as derivative of their past work while still sounding like Pearl Jam. I can only hope Dark Matter finds ways to accomplish similar things in repeat listens. Love this album.

PostPosted: Mon April 15, 2024 1:03 am 
Rank This Poster

Birds in Hell wrote:

Don't you only like 2-3 songs on Gigaton? I imagine it'd be hard to find "good" versions if you don't even like the songs.

Board index » Watched from the Window ... » Pearl Jam