The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Watched from the Window ... » Pearl Jam

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 729 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30 ... 37  Next
 Post subject: Re: Dark Matter Reviews
PostPosted: Sat April 13, 2024 12:39 pm 
AnalLog

I'm looking forward to the hooks. Really think that's part of what got me into PJ initially and why I love the Ten-Vitalogy era the most: Ed's vocals combined with great hooks. I struggle to like the middle period records as much (Yield is probably the closest to my preferences) because the hooks aren't as apparent nor as good to my ears.

PostPosted: Sat April 13, 2024 12:45 pm 
likes rhythmic things that butt up against each other

E.H. Ruddock wrote:
Quote:
song hooks like cheese with macaroni.

WTF

Not a very poetic metaphor

PostPosted: Sat April 13, 2024 12:50 pm 
Future Drummer

E.H. Ruddock wrote:
Quote:
song hooks like cheese with macaroni.

WTF

You know its not good but you cant stop eating

PostPosted: Sat April 13, 2024 12:52 pm 
The worst

Release_Me wrote:
I'm looking forward to the hooks. Really think that's part of what got me into PJ initially and why I love the Ten-Vitalogy era the most: Ed's vocals combined with great hooks. I struggle to like the middle period records as much (Yield is probably the closest to my preferences) because the hooks aren't as apparent nor as good to my ears.

that's probably it. This is the period that Eddie was generally playing against type by design.

I Am No Guide - Pearl Jam Song by Song - Coming this July!
He/Him/His

PostPosted: Sat April 13, 2024 12:58 pm 
Broken Tamborine

Release_Me wrote:

The hooks and the groove were strong on the first 2 albums. The hooks I think were still there afterwards, albeit not in such abundance. But the groove/swing vanished never to return. Mainly cos Stone was the architect of the groove and as his influence diminished, so did that particular element. But also because Stone's writing appears to have moved away from that kind of groove. Mother Love Bone was built on it. I wonder if he still writes those kind of riffs and they're overlooked or if he's just moved on completely.

PostPosted: Sat April 13, 2024 1:02 pm 
AnalLog

stip wrote:
Release_Me wrote:

that's probably it. This is the period that Eddie was generally playing against type by design.

Agreed. I understand that many here prefer the middle period (I exclude Vitalogy from this because I think that album has plenty of hooks and generally has more in common with early PJ). It's a matter of preference, really.

PostPosted: Sat April 13, 2024 1:06 pm 
AnalLog

igotworms wrote:
Release_Me wrote:

The hooks and the groove were strong on the first 2 albums. The hooks I think were still there afterwards, albeit not in such abundance. But the groove/swing vanished never to return. Mainly cos Stone was the architect of the groove and as his influence diminished, so did that particular element. But also because Stone's writing appears to have moved away from that kind of groove. Mother Love Bone was built on it. I wonder if he still writes those kind of riffs and they're overlooked or if he's just moved on completely.

I am in general agreement with this. Personally, I still love Vitalogy even though it lacks the groove of the first two albums. I think that's because Ed's voice is still awesome on it and there are plenty of hooks. Better Man is probably the most radio-friendly thing they ever released, for example. Corduroy has a great vocal melody that gets in your head. So on and so forth. What I can conclude from my own preferences is that groove is important, but hooks are more important for me to really fall in love with songs. Those who are into PJ for the riffs, I can totally understand why they would think otherwise.

PostPosted: Sat April 13, 2024 1:08 pm 
AnalLog

The most promising thing about DM is that it not only has hooks, but also some great riffs (going by some of the reviews). There's a lot to look forward to for fans like myself.

PostPosted: Sat April 13, 2024 1:18 pm 
The worst

igotworms wrote:
Release_Me wrote:

I'd guess he just moved on. I don't know his solo work particularly well, but on the songs where he is the primary songwriter it's less prevalent. At some point I think he just moved onto a preference for weirder, less immediately accessible compositions.

That's a VERY broad generalization on my part though, and I don't know how confident I am int

I Am No Guide - Pearl Jam Song by Song - Coming this July!
He/Him/His

PostPosted: Sat April 13, 2024 1:36 pm 
AnalLog

Pearl Jam has definitely had some cheesy hooks. Looking at you, Shania Stone.

We still make records to be listened to — not that everyone will listen to a record track one to twelve in a row or side A or Side B — but we still make 'em in case somebody does want to listen to it like that, that's how we make em…

PostPosted: Sat April 13, 2024 1:36 pm 
Broken Tamborine

stip wrote:
igotworms wrote:
Release_Me wrote:

I'd guess he just moved on. I don't know his solo work particularly well, but on the songs where he is the primary songwriter it's less prevalent. At some point I think he just moved onto a preference for weirder, less immediately accessible compositions.

That's a VERY broad generalization on my part though, and I don't know how confident I am int

Yeah I think the lack of groove on his solo albums does suggest he tired of it.

PostPosted: Sat April 13, 2024 2:34 pm 

But Stone is funky! Have you seen his moves?

PostPosted: Sat April 13, 2024 2:44 pm 
AnalLog

Hypnos wrote:
But Stone is funky! Have you seen his moves?

I require one duck-walk classic per record

We still make records to be listened to — not that everyone will listen to a record track one to twelve in a row or side A or Side B — but we still make 'em in case somebody does want to listen to it like that, that's how we make em…

PostPosted: Sat April 13, 2024 4:09 pm 

igotworms wrote:
Release_Me wrote:

I hear those grooves in painted shield songs. Unfortunately, painted shield songs aren’t as strong or compelling overall as PJ songs.

PostPosted: Sun April 14, 2024 10:57 pm 
Production Police

Ms Harmless wrote:
there are a lot of exciting crescendos here

PostPosted: Sun April 14, 2024 10:59 pm 
Production Police

Clem Halibut wrote:
Just has the whole formula.

PostPosted: Sun April 14, 2024 11:01 pm 
Production Police

E.H. Ruddock wrote:
Just let me jizz

PostPosted: Sun April 14, 2024 11:12 pm 
Production Police

bluestate wrote:
Thanks so much for the positive vibes!

PostPosted: Sun April 14, 2024 11:15 pm 
Production Police

Coach wrote:
The sound is low at my record listening party

PostPosted: Sun April 14, 2024 11:26 pm 
Production Police

stip wrote:
I look to the future with optimism and pride

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 729 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30 ... 37  Next

Board index » Watched from the Window ... » Pearl Jam