The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Watched from the Window ... » Pearl Jam

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 113 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: Dave A. on drumming for Pearl Jam, Eddie, etc.
PostPosted: Fri March 15, 2024 7:24 pm 
Major Dude

Clem Halibut wrote:

His contribution on Vs. & Vitalogy was great - but I've never missed his presence in the band, and truly believe that both Jack and Matt could not only replicate his parts...but played the parts even better live than Dave A ever could. Jack's live drumming on the Vitalogy tracks have always been superior to Dave's (See 1995 tour and The 94 self pollution radio broadcast)

This is so wrong on so many levels

PostPosted: Sat March 16, 2024 1:12 pm 
Broken Tamborine

wease wrote:
Clem Halibut wrote:

His contribution on Vs. & Vitalogy was great - but I've never missed his presence in the band, and truly believe that both Jack and Matt could not only replicate his parts...but played the parts even better live than Dave A ever could. Jack's live drumming on the Vitalogy tracks have always been superior to Dave's (See 1995 tour and The 94 self pollution radio broadcast)

This is so wrong on so many levels

We can say that he's trolling.

PostPosted: Mon March 18, 2024 11:33 pm 
Major Dude

Finally got to finish the interview. How has he not had a book out yet?

PostPosted: Tue March 19, 2024 12:10 am 
The Master

I’m not sure he can read.

PostPosted: Tue March 19, 2024 12:29 am 
Major Dude

He doesn’t have to be able to read.

PostPosted: Tue March 19, 2024 1:17 am 
AnalLog

As I said sometime last week in another thread, one of my favorite drummers of his era and will always value his contributions and time in the band, but, he's been peddling the same drivel for nigh on three decades now. I get the impulse to answer questions if people still ask, but, seems like not a day goes by where he's not re-living, regurgitating, or re-litigating a three year span of time.

We still make records to be listened to — not that everyone will listen to a record track one to twelve in a row or side A or Side B — but we still make 'em in case somebody does want to listen to it like that, that's how we make em…

PostPosted: Tue March 19, 2024 8:41 am 
likes rhythmic things that butt up against each other

I don't get the fascination with Dave A at all.
Aside from the drama surrounding his dismissal, what else is there to talk about for 30 years?
Had he been a generational talent like some seem to revere him, he'd have landed a job with another high profile band long ago.

PostPosted: Tue March 19, 2024 8:41 am 

I don't get the fascination with Dave A at all.
Aside from the drama surrounding his dismissal, what else is there to talk about for 30 years?
Had he been a generational talent like some seem to revere him, he'd have landed a job with another high profile band long ago.

PostPosted: Tue March 19, 2024 9:12 am 
Posting (live)

He didn't and doesn't want that. He has repeatedly (yep) stated that. He was offered GnR, jammed and turned it down.

He seems to have made a living (prob off of vs and Vitalogy) playing with friends and who can blame him. He seems happy with himself with the exception maybe that he can't let PJ go. And it is always brought up as well by fans and journos.

PostPosted: Tue March 19, 2024 9:53 am 

LetMeSleep wrote:
he can't let PJ go. And it is always brought up as well by fans and journos.

That can be easily dealt with.
“I’ve moved on. Next question, please.”

PostPosted: Tue March 19, 2024 9:59 am 
Broken Tamborine

Val wrote:
LetMeSleep wrote:

People are interviewing him more now because he's choosing to talk about it.

PostPosted: Tue March 19, 2024 10:20 am 
AnalLog

Val wrote:
LetMeSleep wrote:

No kidding, right?

There's a very simple way to carry yourself with dignity here once you feel like you've gotten your side of the story out and had your say on the matter, and he never seems to have found it..."I'm grateful for that period in my life, appreciative of the fan support, and very focused on what I'm doing now and what's in front of me."

We still make records to be listened to — not that everyone will listen to a record track one to twelve in a row or side A or Side B — but we still make 'em in case somebody does want to listen to it like that, that's how we make em…

PostPosted: Tue March 19, 2024 10:26 am 
10Club Complaint Department

I mean, he was just an ordinary dude playing around in local Texas bands when he got the Pearl Jam gig. He wasn't some Sunset Strip hustler who was desperate to make it, nor playing DIY house shows with some hard touring indie band.

Through a huge stroke of luck, and his friend Matt Chamberlain, he ended up scoring a gig playing for a promising interstate band who shortly thereafter became the biggest thing in the world. It must have been an absolute whirlwind and one that ended very abruptly, leaving him back where he started and watching his former bandmates go on to have continued success.

I understand why something like that would in many ways define his life and career. The guy played on some iconic records and experienced success at the highest level - barely anyone can say that.

PostPosted: Tue March 19, 2024 10:56 am 
AnalLog

Birds in Hell wrote:
I mean, he was just an ordinary dude playing around in local Texas bands when he got the Pearl Jam gig. He wasn't some Sunset Strip hustler who was desperate to make it, nor playing DIY house shows with some hard touring indie band.

Through a huge stroke of luck, and his friend Matt Chamberlain, he ended up scoring a gig playing for a promising interstate band who shortly thereafter became the biggest thing in the world. It must have been an absolute whirlwind and one that ended very abruptly, leaving him back where he started and watching his former bandmates go on to have continued success.

I understand why something like that would in many ways define his life and career. The guy played on some iconic records and experienced success at the highest level - barely anyone can say that.

Not taking any of that success and good fortune away from the man, but, again, we're taking about a span of time equivalent to the space between JFK being assassinated and Clinton being in the White House since he's been with the band.

I mean, sure, one could argue that he was given a proper closure with the Hall of Fame induction that Dave A. was not, but, I'm certain Dave Krusen also had many private moments of resentment, bewilderment and bitterness over his dismissal from the band, and yet, even before the HoF induction, he wasn't online on pretty frequent basis bemoaning his lot in life with passive aggressive resentment. He had the self-reflection to acknowledge that it saved his life. I'm pretty sure it took Dave Krusen a lot of years to come to that point, personally, but, he did the work to get there.

You're correct in saying that few of us could truly say how we would handle similar circumstances, but, I've gotta believe there's a more effective way to process these things.

PostPosted: Tue March 19, 2024 11:23 am 

is he agreeing to sit and talk to any random podcaster for an hour just so he can keep repeating his story about being in pearl jam?

or do these podcasters pay him? also what other non-pearl jam related questions are people interested in hearing from him? kombucha? where's girbilio?

PostPosted: Tue March 19, 2024 11:49 am 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

He was in the band for almost exactly three years. Matt Chamberlain was Pearl Jam's drummer in July of 1991. Dave A joined shortly afterwards. Probably got going properly in August of 1991. I think his first show was September 25, 1991. Abbruzzese was let go from Pearl Jam in August 1994. Dave A's last show with Pearl Jam was April 17, 1994.

This is almost exactly the same time as I was in middle school. I started August of 1991, and finished in June of 1994. I started high school in August of 1994. It's a long time ago, and I barely think of my time in middle school now.

But I don't blame Dave A for sharing. I enjoy hearing from him, as this was a very special time in Pearl Jam's history.

PostPosted: Tue March 19, 2024 12:00 pm 
AnalLog

Anders wrote:
But I don't blame Dave A for sharing. I enjoy hearing from him, as this was a very special time in Pearl Jam's history.

Yes..please, don't get me wrong, I love hearing anecdotes about his time in the band, stories about the songwriting, etc...all great stuff.

PostPosted: Tue March 19, 2024 12:03 pm 
jeeeesus relax already

I used to feel sorry for the guy, but at this point i moved from him. He did some amazing work with the band but i understand why those guys got Jack.

PostPosted: Tue March 19, 2024 2:07 pm 
Broken Tamborine

Anders wrote:
He was in the band for almost exactly three years. Matt Chamberlain was Pearl Jam's drummer in July of 1991. Dave A joined shortly afterwards. Probably got going properly in August of 1991. I think his first show was September 25, 1991. Abbruzzese was let go from Pearl Jam in August 1994. Dave A's last show with Pearl Jam was April 17, 1994.

This is almost exactly the same time as I was in middle school. I started August of 1991, and finished in June of 1994. I started high school in August of 1994. It's a long time ago, and I barely think of my time in middle school now.

He played the Mural Amphitheater show, August 23rd, 1991.

PostPosted: Tue March 19, 2024 4:45 pm 
Broken Tamborine

coptheriotact wrote:
also what other non-pearl jam related questions are people interested in hearing from him? kombucha? where's girbilio?

Meth and Cockage Tapes. The story behind the derp.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 113 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Board index » Watched from the Window ... » Pearl Jam