The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Watched from the Window ... » Pearl Jam

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 113 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: Dave A. on drumming for Pearl Jam, Eddie, etc.
PostPosted: Tue March 12, 2024 12:17 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

wease wrote:
Anders wrote:
Would love to hear the Vitalogy that he heard initially. Probably better than what we got.

I wonder if there were any tunes on it that didn’t make the release. We know Hard To Imagine was done/worked on during the sessions. Was that on there? Anything else?

Exactly what I was thinking about it. It probably had less of the weirder/artsy tracks, maybe sort of Vs. feel. According to Dave A in the interview above, it would have made Pearl Jam bigger than ever.

Don't think they dropped immortality/Corduroy level songs, but have a feeling that the album then, was something quite different than what we ended up with.

PostPosted: Tue March 12, 2024 12:52 pm 
Broken Tamborine

I think time has flavored his narrative. Time and time again the interviewer fails to call him on anything. It usually starts with him saying he won't say anything negative - to then implying that Vedder is an imposter who's persona got in the way. That he...Dave...was the one who didn't care about fame, money, fans...and it was Vedder who sabotaged it all. Which he kind of did, but you gotta dig into the reasons why. And the fact that neither Dave, nor the interviewers ever point that part out- that maybe it was hard back then and things were a little less easy street for the guy getting ALL the attention - that fact makes me distrust a lot of what his memory wants to share. A lot of Vedder hating, as mild as it is. But he hasn't talked to ANY of the band since that time. That says plenty.

I've met all the guys at one point or another. And the experiences were all positive, but the most genuine conversation I've had was McCready aaaaaaaaand Vedder. I'll never forget that and it definitely flavors my own narrative I guess. But in those moments when you catch someone just being themself are the best. Neither here nor there, but I've heard the same about Dave.

Dave was great for the songs Pearl Jam made on VS. He played the shit out of the songs on Ten. But he wasn't right for the songs to come and the scaling back of the band - whether we like them or not. I haven't loved all of it but I've come to appreciate more of it than I did at the time. There is never going to be an occasion where Dave will play with the band again. And that is because he still - after all these years, just has the grudge and none of the reflection of how things came to be.

PostPosted: Tue March 12, 2024 2:55 pm 
Major Dude

I’ve not finished this interview so I don’t know if he says he’s not spoken to any of them, but in past interviews, he has said he has seen/spoken to all of them since he was fired. Even Ed. And apparently is still in regular contact with Matt.

PostPosted: Tue March 12, 2024 2:58 pm 
The Master

Dave also lives in a very far off land so i doubt a reunion will ever happen. For many other reasons too

PostPosted: Tue March 12, 2024 3:42 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

Middle-earth?

PostPosted: Tue March 12, 2024 3:43 pm 
likes rhythmic things that butt up against each other

Tatooine?

Production Police

I was gonna say Mos Eisley

likes rhythmic things that butt up against each other

tragabigzanda wrote:
I was gonna say Mos Eisley

Ha!

PostPosted: Tue March 12, 2024 3:47 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

Not enough food on Tatooine.

PostPosted: Tue March 12, 2024 4:00 pm 
The Master

He actually looks like he may live on yavin 4

PostPosted: Tue March 12, 2024 8:53 pm 
Rank This Poster

DeeDee wrote:
LetMeSleep wrote:
It was a really nice chilled and vulnerable chat. He spoke really well of his days with PJ and also addressed his naivety regarding the business.

I could watch an hour long interview with every member, past member, crew member or producer/engineer. Those stories and angles are fascinating to me.

That's it.

I can't understand why people hate on Dave.

i don't hate the guy, i just have no interest in watching him rehash the same stories i've heard since he got fired. i could probably watch jack irons talk for an hour about being in pearl jam b/c i haven't heard that story a bunch.

PostPosted: Wed March 13, 2024 2:49 am 
Broken Tamborine

LetMeSleep wrote:
I can't believe this place sometimes. There have been 10 musicians in PJ over the years. Here we have 1 of them discussing what most of us think of as a wonderful time and there's apathy.

I've probably spent more time reading and voting in this MM alone than it takes to watch this interview and to what end?

Because he's done the same "exclusive" interview 100+ times over the last 30 years and it's usually 90% the same self-serving and conveniently misleading commentary about the two years he spent in Pearl Jam. Even when he's somewhat vindicated or reveals something interesting (like the true story behind Glorified G), it's hard to get too excited about it. At this point, it's about as relevant and eye-opening as Mike telling us how the next album is a return to form and Rolling Stone explaining how Pearl Jam rose from the ashes of Mother Love Bone.

And meanwhile, a large portion of the fanbase complains that they want him back in the band because Matt Cameron sucks, as if it will ever happen, which only encourages him. It's not really a hill worth dying on. So there will be jokes and sarcastic comments made.

PostPosted: Wed March 13, 2024 3:14 am 
Production Police

Happy Trees wrote:
the next album is a return to form

Oh hell yes

PostPosted: Wed March 13, 2024 3:49 am 
Broken Tamborine

I've always appreciated Dave A's contribution to the band. His work on Vs. is incredible—Vitalogy less so but that was a pretty fraught record obviously. I feel like he went from kind of under appreciated in PJ history to now being annoyingly over appreciated. Every other damn comment on YouTube now is about how "they never recovered after Dave A." which is of course bullshit. They evolved but so does any band that is going to survive for 3+ decades. He didn't even play on Ten but people act like he was this integral force from the beginning. It's a dumb narrative.

PostPosted: Wed March 13, 2024 3:53 am 
Broken Tamborine

Happy Trees wrote:
LetMeSleep wrote:
I can't believe this place sometimes. There have been 10 musicians in PJ over the years. Here we have 1 of them discussing what most of us think of as a wonderful time and there's apathy.

I've probably spent more time reading and voting in this MM alone than it takes to watch this interview and to what end?

Because he's done the same "exclusive" interview 100+ times over the last 30 years and it's usually 90% the same self-serving and conveniently misleading commentary about the two years he spent in Pearl Jam. Even when he's somewhat vindicated or reveals something interesting (like the true story behind Glorified G), it's hard to get too excited about it. At this point, it's about as relevant and eye-opening as Mike telling us how the next album is a return to form and Rolling Stone explaining how Pearl Jam rose from the ashes of Mother Love Bone.

And meanwhile, a large portion of the fanbase complains that they want him back in the band because Matt Cameron sucks, as if it will ever happen, which only encourages him. It's not really a hill worth dying on. So there will be jokes and sarcastic comments made.

He seems pretty stuck in the past so he sits right at home with the "we only like Ten and Vs" Pearl Jam "fans". Still has the soul patch I see...haha. I don't really like ragging on the guy too much though. He's a great drummer but it's clear from listening to him he wasn't a good fit for the band's personality long-term.

PostPosted: Wed March 13, 2024 4:34 am 
The Master

darthvedder81 wrote:
Happy Trees wrote:
LetMeSleep wrote:

He seems pretty stuck in the past so he sits right at home with the "we only like Ten and Vs" Pearl Jam "fans". Still has the soul patch I see...haha. I don't really like ragging on the guy too much though. He's a great drummer but it's clear from listening to him he wasn't a good fit for the band's personality long-term.

This

PostPosted: Wed March 13, 2024 5:53 am 
Broken Tamborine

darthvedder81 wrote:
I've always appreciated Dave A's contribution to the band. His work on Vs. is incredible—Vitalogy less so but that was a pretty fraught record obviously. I feel like he went from kind of under appreciated in PJ history to now being annoyingly over appreciated. Every other damn comment on YouTube now is about how "they never recovered after Dave A." which is of course bullshit. They evolved but so does any band that is going to survive for 3+ decades. He didn't even play on Ten but people act like he was this integral force from the beginning. It's a dumb narrative.

I love Dave A's contributions too. But it's a matter of context and reality. There is nothing so mind-blowing about his drumming that makes him a huge loss and worthy of returning under tense circumstances. As a matter of fact, there are amusing annoyances in his drumming style that even Jeff was irritated with. And they did their best work after he left - in my opinion, because I chose to actually listen and internalize.

I've been reading amusing discussion where some fans thought/still think that Led Zeppelin "sold out" with Houses Of The Holy and what a piece of shit it is and how they never recovered, for whatever reason. And of course you have the Radiohead thing. No guitars, bleeps and bloops and so forth. But I like everything both bands did, and I find those notions preposterous, however common or uncommon, or how influenced my opinion is by having been alive at the time or not.

To continue under restrictive/destructive circumstances is a certain death. But give the people what they want, or they'll never let go.

God bless Uncle Neil.

PostPosted: Wed March 13, 2024 2:01 pm 
Broken Tamborine

Happy Trees wrote:
LetMeSleep wrote:

I mean...

PostPosted: Wed March 13, 2024 2:02 pm 
Broken Tamborine

Happy Trees wrote:
darthvedder81 wrote:

I love Dave A's contributions too. But it's a matter of context and reality. There is nothing so mind-blowing about his drumming that makes him a huge loss and worthy of returning under tense circumstances. As a matter of fact, there are amusing annoyances in his drumming style that even Jeff was irritated with. And they did their best work after he left - in my opinion, because I chose to actually listen and internalize.

I've been reading amusing discussion where some fans thought/still think that Led Zeppelin "sold out" with Houses Of The Holy and what a piece of shit it is and how they never recovered, for whatever reason. And of course you have the Radiohead thing. No guitars, bleeps and bloops and so forth. But I like everything both bands did, and I find those notions preposterous, however common or uncommon, or how influenced my opinion is by having been alive at the time or not.

To continue under restrictive/destructive circumstances is a certain death. But give the people what they want, or they'll never let go.

God bless Uncle Neil.

No, they did not.

PostPosted: Wed March 13, 2024 2:57 pm 
Rank This Poster

no code and yield are their two best albums

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 113 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Board index » Watched from the Window ... » Pearl Jam