The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Watched from the Window ... » Pearl Jam

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 224 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 12  Next

Setting Sun
5 Stars 73%  73%  [ 65 ]
4 Stars 21%  21%  [ 19 ]
3 Stars 6%  6%  [ 5 ]
2 Star 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
1 Star 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 89
 Post subject: Re: Setting Sun
PostPosted: Tue April 16, 2024 9:36 pm 
Broken Tamborine

I enjoyed the Let Me Sleep vibe on this one building to Amongst the Waves, somehow.

PostPosted: Wed April 17, 2024 1:32 am 
Future Drummer

This might be my fifth favorite song on the album. It’s a nice closer. Lyrically iti reminds me of Black I feel but a much more mature version

PostPosted: Wed April 17, 2024 1:59 am 
Troglodyte
 WWW  Profile

I love the drums up front. WHY didn't they bring them back in at the end?

Also, the verses Ed's worst performance on the album.

PostPosted: Wed April 17, 2024 2:00 am 
The worst

i love this one based on the iphone recording

I Am No Guide - Pearl Jam Song by Song - Coming this July!
He/Him/His

PostPosted: Wed April 17, 2024 4:16 am 
Broken Tamborine

"If you could see what I see know you'd find a way to stay some how"

"If you could see what I see know you'd make a way to stay some how"

Love that classic Ed move of changing the lyric slightly and repeating.

This song is both sad and incredibly moving. There's something beautiful to see if you stick it out. Then the beauty will in turn inspire you to keep going. Love he receives is the love that is saved. Kingdom come.

PostPosted: Wed April 17, 2024 7:01 am 
AnalLog

darthvedder81 wrote:
"If you could see what I see know you'd find a way to stay some how"

"If you could see what I see know you'd make a way to stay some how"

Love that classic Ed move of changing the lyric slightly and repeating.

This song is both sad and incredibly moving. There's something beautiful to see if you stick it out. Then the beauty will in turn inspire you to keep going. Love he receives is the love that is saved. Kingdom come.

Those lines are really poignant and delivered in a way that gave me goosebumps. I don't think people are fully appreciating yet how damn great Ed is in the outro here. It's an all-time PJ moment for me.

PostPosted: Wed April 17, 2024 7:33 am 
Broken Tamborine

This one is a grower...maybe my second favorite on the album. At the very least it's another great closing track and it's been a hot minute since PJ has done that.

PostPosted: Wed April 17, 2024 10:52 am 
AnalLog

Just want the outro never to end just let it play till my last breath. Their best work musically ever the outro. The fragility of Vitalogy the weathered beauty of No Code the ascending release of Yield. It is a master piece.

PostPosted: Wed April 17, 2024 12:16 pm 
The worst

this one got to me on my drive into work

He/Him/His

PostPosted: Wed April 17, 2024 12:23 pm 
The worst

Tj wrote:
Just want the outro never to end just let it play till my last breath. Their best work musically ever the outro. The fragility of Vitalogy the weathered beauty of No Code the ascending release of Yield. It is a master piece.

Just want to note I've really enjoyed reading your effusive praise of this album. Completely sincere comment

He/Him/His

PostPosted: Wed April 17, 2024 12:28 pm 
She / Her

I'm really excited to dig into the lyrics next time I listen to this one, because they left me under

whelmed; maybe that's because of the sadness / resignation in so much of this album, in contrast with the beauty and positivity of most of the music (which is also a very The Cure thing that they nailed: upbeat music, downbeat lyrics)

PostPosted: Wed April 17, 2024 12:32 pm 
The worst

there seems to be a lot of that. I have not engaged with the lyrics outside of processing a phrase here or there, but I was surprised to hear how minor key they were given the brightness of the album. Should make for some interesting and surprising juxtapositions

He/Him/His

PostPosted: Wed April 17, 2024 12:33 pm 
She / Her

absolutely, that's very much the kind of thing that makes an album long-lasting for me

PostPosted: Wed April 17, 2024 12:33 pm 
She / Her

they did it a little on Backspacer, but they went all in here

PostPosted: Wed April 17, 2024 12:38 pm 
The worst

A lot of these themes that seem to be emerging are pretty consistent with what's been on Eddie's mind since Backspacer.

He/Him/His

PostPosted: Wed April 17, 2024 4:36 pm 
Future Drummer

Im very curious to hear takes on this one. The rolling stone article also considered it hopeful which somebody echoed in the album thread. And quoted the lyrics they see as hopeful and I see as desperately clinging ala Black. To me this was not a hopeful song at all but others read it differently.

PostPosted: Wed April 17, 2024 4:44 pm 
She / Her

mikejasond wrote:
Im very curious to hear takes on this one. The rolling stone article also considered it hopeful which somebody echoed in the album thread. And quoted the lyrics they see as hopeful and I see as desperately clinging ala Black. To me this was not a hopeful song at all but others read it differently.

I thought it felt hopeful until I read the lyrics

PostPosted: Wed April 17, 2024 4:54 pm 
A Return To Form

mikejasond wrote:

I'll take the bait here. I think you referenced Black. Black the relationship is over. This one it's not. I think he is also playing across multiple ideas here: Chris, the band, maybe his wife, and at the end we could be one last setting sun or I forget the exact lyric but more of a sunrise into let us not fade. That last few seconds turns the coin to something hopeful.

I love the idea of the final part of the song being Ed looking a the band all back in a room excited, and thinking look at this, maybe we thought this was the end, but it could be a sunrise if we hang on.

PostPosted: Wed April 17, 2024 4:54 pm 
A Return To Form

mikejasond wrote:

I'll take the bait here. I think you referenced Black. Black the relationship is over. This one it's not. I think he is also playing across multiple ideas here: Chris, the band, maybe his wife, and at the end we could be one last setting sun or I forget the exact lyric but more of a sunrise into let us not fade. That last few seconds turns the coin to something hopeful.

I love the idea of the final part of the song being Ed looking a the band all back in a room excited, and thinking look at this, maybe we thought this was the end, but it could be a sunrise if we hang on.

PostPosted: Wed April 17, 2024 5:17 pm 
Broken Tamborine

mikejasond wrote:

Think that was me :)

I don’t necessarily disagree with you that the story being told is sad/bleak. Still trying to put my finger on it but there’s a hopeful quality to the music in this song (and in most of the album) that sort of lifts you up/gives hope in spite of the darker subject matter? As far as the lyrics Ed is seeing something (someone?) that gives hope and transcends the pain. Is he singing about someone else or maybe a past version of himself that’s going through hell? I’ve been hearing it as the latter. I’ve been through dark times where you are hurting but know it won’t last and just wish you got a message from above/your future self that assured you it would be OK.

Reminds me thematically of Thumbing My Way (my favorite Ed song ever). It's a lonely sad tale but the empathy and will to carry on make it my go to when I'm sad and want to feel better/inspired again/not alone.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 224 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 12  Next

Board index » Watched from the Window ... » Pearl Jam