47%
2 Stars
20%
1 Star
6%

Total votes : 156

Re: Running

Thu March 28, 2024 3:47 am

Running reminds me alot of if Nirvana's Breed made by 60year Olds. That's not a jab. I really like Running.

Thu March 28, 2024 4:57 am

tragabigzanda wrote:
coptheriotact wrote:i gotta remember the no attention trick everytime i cant decide on a tempo

??

how the backend of no attention is the main riff at half speed.
i can use that idea if i only have half a song, of if the riff sounds good slow and fast and i cant pick.

Thu March 28, 2024 10:33 am

coptheriotact wrote:
tragabigzanda wrote:
coptheriotact wrote:i gotta remember the no attention trick everytime i cant decide on a tempo

??

how the backend of no attention is the main riff at half speed.
i can use that idea if i only have half a song, of if the riff sounds good slow and fast and i cant pick.

:bammer:

Thu March 28, 2024 10:37 am

Tj wrote:Running reminds me alot of if Nirvana's Breed made by 60year Olds. That's not a jab. I really like Running.

It’s nowhere near as good a song as Breed. And I’m not even a Nirvana fan.

Thu March 28, 2024 10:48 am

wease wrote:
Tj wrote:Running reminds me alot of if Nirvana's Breed made by 60year Olds. That's not a jab. I really like Running.

It’s nowhere near as good a song as Breed. And I’m not even a Nirvana fan.

Yeah, something in those chords or in the overall song's tonality sets it apart from the Blink 182 variety which Running is essentially a part of.

Thu March 28, 2024 10:54 am

Got Some wrote:
stip wrote:
Thurman Murman wrote:
VinylGuy wrote:yeah i prefer SBWM but this one grew a lot.

I much prefer SBWM, but at least initially that song did nothing for me as well. I just really started loving it within the context of the entire album. Hoping that something similar will happen with Running.

I think SBWM has lyrical, thematic, and structural layers that really reward going deep and treating it seriously as a song that has things to say and not slide into the 'throwaway' track mindset.

That's not to say that there isn't more to discover with Running, and the album may give it a new or deeper contextualization. but this feels like a superficial comparison. Smile and Hail Hail both feature crunchy guitars, but we can readily see how that's a weird 1-1 comparison

"And love notwithstanding. We are each of us fucked"

My fav lyric from Gigaton

"It’s gonna take much more than ordinary love, To lift this up"
"All the answers will be found, In the mistakes that we have made"

Honorable mentions

the love notwithstanding is probably number 2 for me

Thu March 28, 2024 12:47 pm

Huge number 2

Thu March 28, 2024 12:48 pm

tragabigzanda wrote:Huge number 2

stop

Thu March 28, 2024 12:55 pm

Monkey_Driven wrote:
tragabigzanda wrote:Huge number 2

stop

You mean pinch it off?

Thu March 28, 2024 3:17 pm

Running reminds me of Whipping

Thu March 28, 2024 3:29 pm

Coach wrote:Running reminds me of Whipping

I hear Mind Your Manners + Supersonic * Lost Dogs.

Thu March 28, 2024 3:43 pm

3 stars.

Okay, who rated this a 5 star song? Show yourselves!

Thu March 28, 2024 4:11 pm

Yeah - agreed. I made a similar comment last week when it first dropped.

I DEF hear Breed in the guitars. So much so - I’d argue this song is some sort of (accidental or intentional) homage to grunge or older PNW sound (listen to the guitars in the beginning and in the verses).

I think it also supports the idea that Watt’s strategy was to use a ‘something old/something new’ approach.

Thu March 28, 2024 4:19 pm

Yield Often wrote:

I DEF hear Breed in the guitars. So much so - I’d argue this song is some sort of (accidental or intentional) homage to grunge or older PNW sound (listen to the guitars in the beginning and in the verses).

I think it also supports the idea that Watt’s strategy was to use a ‘something old/something new’ approach.

fwiw my kid gave Running its first listen today and said "it's the PJ of old or something close to it"

Thu March 28, 2024 4:32 pm

Val wrote:
Yield Often wrote:

fwiw my kid gave Running its first listen today and said "it's the PJ of old or something close to it"

My 13-year-old has listened to Earthling, Iggy's latest record, and the new Stones record, and he definitely notices the sheen. He also really enjoys the two new PJ singles and is psyched for DM.

Thu March 28, 2024 4:37 pm

I do wish the guitar tones were thicker sounding.

Thu March 28, 2024 4:40 pm

Leatherhead wrote:I do wish the guitar tones were thicker sounding.

yeah me too, and Running sounds even thinner than DM

Thu March 28, 2024 4:44 pm

Val wrote:
Yield Often wrote:

I am sorry Val but your kid is an idiot

Thu March 28, 2024 4:47 pm

tragabigzanda wrote:
Val wrote:
Yield Often wrote:

I am sorry Val but your kid is an idiot

holy shit.

Thu March 28, 2024 4:48 pm

Too far? We’re just telling jokes here.

Val I’m sure your kid is lovely.
Post a reply