The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Watched from the Window ... » Pearl Jam

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2183 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 95, 96, 97, 98, 99, 100, 101 ... 110  Next

Rate the Song
5 Stars 8%  8%  [ 12 ]
4 Stars 19%  19%  [ 29 ]
3 Stars 47%  47%  [ 72 ]
2 Stars 20%  20%  [ 31 ]
1 Star 6%  6%  [ 9 ]
Total votes : 153
 Post subject: Re: Running
PostPosted: Thu March 28, 2024 7:34 pm 
AnalLog

We still make records to be listened to — not that everyone will listen to a record track one to twelve in a row or side A or Side B — but we still make 'em in case somebody does want to listen to it like that, that's how we make em…

PostPosted: Thu March 28, 2024 7:38 pm 
Future Drummer

I'm not really sure what it actually is that makes it so older guys can't have songs that sound as intense, raw, and aggressive as they did when they were younger (too clean production might be part of it?) or what makes it come off 'corny' or 'uncool' when it never did back in the 90s. Maybe it's just a youthful aggression that just isn't in them anymore? And that's fine. I guess I just prefer older Pearl Jam when they are more thoughtful or something? IDK. There's nothing wrong with them having a fun time and playing songs like this that they enjoy, it just comes off as a bit unappealing to me on the albums. Maybe I just expect rock (especially punkier rock) to have more teeth? And that's something Breed does have that this does not.

I do like their corny rockers sometimes, I liked the song Lightning Bolt even, but these ones specifically just never work for me for some reason.

Unless it's like Backspacer where they lean so far into it you can no longer deny them.

I also liked Self-Titled for some reason, which similarly seemed to lean into what it was but the energy there was exuberant to me.

Maybe somebody better with expressing themselves about music than me can put together what Im not getting from Running that makes it sound so...sterile? I dont know.

PostPosted: Thu March 28, 2024 7:38 pm 
AnalLog

Ms Harmless wrote:
I think Backspacer pretended to be a lot of things it wasn't (a good pop album, a good new-wave album)

To think I once fully appreciated and respected you. SAD :shake:

PostPosted: Thu March 28, 2024 7:46 pm 
She / Her

Tj wrote:
Ms Harmless wrote:
I think Backspacer pretended to be a lot of things it wasn't (a good pop album, a good new-wave album)

don't get me wrong, I think Backspacer is good in other ways, but my main issue with it is the same as Lightning Bolt: it's all over the place tonally and thematically; yeah, there's a bit of pop on there, yeah, there's a bit of new-wave on there, but for two albums that do those things more consistently across their whole runtime, look at Paramore's After Laughter and This is Why

PostPosted: Thu March 28, 2024 7:49 pm 
Guys, I am not a moderator! I swear to God! Why does everyone think I'm a moderator?

RockPusher wrote:
E.H. Ruddock wrote:
Please calm down

Why?

Strat was getting a little too excited with that post. He needs to calm down.

PostPosted: Thu March 28, 2024 7:54 pm 
AnalLog

Ms Harmless wrote:
Tj wrote:
Ms Harmless wrote:

don't get me wrong, I think Backspacer is good in other ways, but my main issue with it is the same as Lightning Bolt: it's all over the place tonally and thematically; yeah, there's a bit of pop on there, yeah, there's a bit of new-wave on there, but for two albums that do those things more consistently across their whole runtime, look at Paramore's After Laughter and This is Why

Ok, After Laughter and This is Why I'm back on team Harmless. I have a Thick Skull

PostPosted: Thu March 28, 2024 7:54 pm 
A Return To Form

It's been said before on this thread but REMs 'Accelerate' is a good example of a late career rock album where the band sounds authentic.

PostPosted: Thu March 28, 2024 7:55 pm 
Guys, I am not a moderator! I swear to God! Why does everyone think I'm a moderator?

Strat wrote:
im sick of ruddo policing me

I'll help you

PostPosted: Thu March 28, 2024 7:56 pm 
AnalLog

E.H. Ruddock wrote:
RockPusher wrote:
E.H. Ruddock wrote:
Please calm down

Why?

:roll:

PostPosted: Thu March 28, 2024 7:57 pm 
She / Her

Tj wrote:
Ms Harmless wrote:
Tj wrote:
Ms Harmless wrote:

Ok, After Laughter and This is Why I'm back on team Harmless. I have a Thick Skull

I like Backspacer, I like Lightning Bolt less, but they both have good attempts at that kind of thing on them; I just feel like they've never convinced me that "pop" or "new wave" are in their bones; maybe Dark Matter will do it? here's hoping

PostPosted: Thu March 28, 2024 7:58 pm 

RockPusher wrote:
E.H. Ruddock wrote:
RockPusher wrote:
E.H. Ruddock wrote:
Please calm down

Why?

:roll:

I mean, "LET'S GO!" is pretty aggressive.

PostPosted: Thu March 28, 2024 7:59 pm 
She / Her

I know I've said it over and over again but to me, the most "fun" PJ have ever sounded was on Lost Dogs (Hitchhiker, Gremmie)

PostPosted: Thu March 28, 2024 8:00 pm 
Rank This Poster

mikejasond wrote:
I'm not really sure what it actually is that makes it so older guys can't have songs that sound as intense, raw, and aggressive as they did when they were younger (too clean production might be part of it?) or what makes it come off 'corny' or 'uncool' when it never did back in the 90s. Maybe it's just a youthful aggression that just isn't in them anymore? And that's fine. I guess I just prefer older Pearl Jam when they are more thoughtful or something? IDK. There's nothing wrong with them having a fun time and playing songs like this that they enjoy, it just comes off as a bit unappealing to me on the albums. Maybe I just expect rock (especially punkier rock) to have more teeth? And that's something Breed does have that this does not.

I do like their corny rockers sometimes, I liked the song Lightning Bolt even, but these ones specifically just never work for me for some reason.

Unless it's like Backspacer where they lean so far into it you can no longer deny them.

I also liked Self-Titled for some reason, which similarly seemed to lean into what it was but the energy there was exuberant to me.

Maybe somebody better with expressing themselves about music than me can put together what Im not getting from Running that makes it sound so...sterile? I dont know.

Age-ism.

Ms Harmless wrote:
I know I've said it over and over again but to me, the most "fun" PJ have ever sounded was on Lost Dogs (Hitchhiker, Gremmie)

Oh yeah, two excellent songs.

Fake NYC Setlist Relayer

Here’s the thing where trag has a real point: any sense that these songs are artificial or not authentic I think would have less to do with their numbered ages and more to do with the drums sounding like they were generated from a computer program than a human being. They sound canned even if they are actually being played by a person, which is a sound issue more than a song issue. Both of these songs I think will sound better live sounding drums.

A note that I actually enjoyed both songs and rated Dark Matter 4 stars and Running 3 stars.

PostPosted: Thu March 28, 2024 8:02 pm 
AnalLog

I think Pearl Jam sounds authentic. I just think there a bunch of uncool dad dorks I'm ok with that.

PostPosted: Thu March 28, 2024 8:02 pm 
She / Her

Tj wrote:
I think Pearl Jam sounds authentic. I just think there a bunch of uncool dad dorks I'm ok with that.

PostPosted: Thu March 28, 2024 8:03 pm 

I always considered myself a cool dad dork, now I have to rethink things!

PostPosted: Thu March 28, 2024 8:04 pm 
Production Police

oneway23 wrote:

:heartbeat: :heartbeat: :heartbeat: Love this so much

PostPosted: Thu March 28, 2024 8:05 pm 
AnalLog

E.H. Ruddock wrote:
I always considered myself a cool dad dork, now I have to rethink things!

A paradox within a paradox, to be sure

tragabigzanda wrote:
:heartbeat: :heartbeat: :heartbeat: Love this so much

Somehow, I thought you might

We still make records to be listened to — not that everyone will listen to a record track one to twelve in a row or side A or Side B — but we still make 'em in case somebody does want to listen to it like that, that's how we make em…

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2183 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 95, 96, 97, 98, 99, 100, 101 ... 110  Next

Board index » Watched from the Window ... » Pearl Jam