The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Watched from the Window ... » Pearl Jam

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 344 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16 ... 18  Next

Waiting for Stevie
5 Stars 68%  68%  [ 73 ]
4 Stars 22%  22%  [ 24 ]
3 Stars 7%  7%  [ 8 ]
2 Stars 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
1 Star 2%  2%  [ 2 ]
Total votes : 107
 Post subject: Re: Waiting For Stevie
PostPosted: Sun April 21, 2024 8:03 pm 
The worst

EJ wrote:
epilogue wrote:
stip wrote:
wease wrote:
Just played it for Mrs Wease. She said “this sounds like something else they’ve done.” She liked it tho. I can’t fucking wait to see this live.

I honestly don't know that it is, even though we all think so. Hold On is closeish. I think it's really, truly, that this has, in some magical kind of way, just bottled what Pearl Jam (or this element of Pearl Jam) down to its essence. It feels familiar because its DNA comes from the experience of listening to so many other songs.

I agree with your bottled PJ take. But this also sounds a lot like other songs. Hold On, sure. But Breath is the biggest that comes to mind for me.

good call, I hear both. my first reaction was, wow this riff sounds like it was written for the Singles soundtrack.

if there is a single song id compare it to its breath

I Am No Guide - Pearl Jam Song by Song - Coming this July!
He/Him/His

PostPosted: Sun April 21, 2024 8:59 pm 
Major Dude

stip wrote:
EJ wrote:
epilogue wrote:
stip wrote:
wease wrote:
Just played it for Mrs Wease. She said “this sounds like something else they’ve done.” She liked it tho. I can’t fucking wait to see this live.

I honestly don't know that it is, even though we all think so. Hold On is closeish. I think it's really, truly, that this has, in some magical kind of way, just bottled what Pearl Jam (or this element of Pearl Jam) down to its essence. It feels familiar because its DNA comes from the experience of listening to so many other songs.

I agree with your bottled PJ take. But this also sounds a lot like other songs. Hold On, sure. But Breath is the biggest that comes to mind for me.

good call, I hear both. my first reaction was, wow this riff sounds like it was written for the Singles soundtrack.

if there is a single song id compare it to its breath

I’ve already answered this. I Got Shit and Cinnamon Girl.

PostPosted: Sun April 21, 2024 9:21 pm 
10Club Complaint Department

ElonDusk wrote:
I’m not sure I believe the origin story of this song. I think it’s just a Watt riff and they didn’t want to fly the flag on that so openly.

This is my read too, hence why I think the "oh, and it sounded like something Ed told me he'd also written years before" explanation (which only started being mentioned later) feels like a tacked on explanation to make it sound less overt.

stip mentioned before that the song feels like the bridge section of Breath expanded to a whole song and maybe that's why it doesn't land for me either - that's never something I've wanted from the band. I don't even like that song very much, I don't want Eddie Vedder to take me on soaring, life-affirming journey!

I prefer my Pearl Jam kind of solemn, introspective, but also sometimes rueful, moody and occasionally angry. Pearl Jam starts with Vs for me and that's still the high water mark.

PostPosted: Sun April 21, 2024 9:38 pm 
tl;dr

I have to wonder what it is about this riff by itself that would have compelled Eddie or anyone else in the band to latch onto it and think, “Oh man, we didn’t write that, but we totally need to use it on our record.” I think they made a solid song out of it, but the riff by itself is a bunch of nothing — even Stone’s throwaway riffs from the Ten sessions like “Brother” and “Just a Girl” are more ear-catching IMO.

I wish that “Be Mighty Humble” interlude at the end went on for like 3 hours though — man that’s lovely. It reminds me of the TB2K instrumentals, just…not instrumental.

PostPosted: Sun April 21, 2024 9:48 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

I tend to lean more towards spenno's PJ.

PostPosted: Sun April 21, 2024 9:49 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

Kevin Davis wrote:
I have to wonder what it is about this riff by itself that would have compelled Eddie or anyone else in the band to latch onto it and think, “Oh man, we didn’t write that, but we totally need to use it on our record.” I think they made a solid song out of it, but the riff by itself is a bunch of nothing — even Stone’s throwaway riffs from the Ten sessions like “Brother” and “Just a Girl” are more ear-catching IMO.

I wish that “Be Mighty Humble” interlude at the end went on for like 3 hours though — man that’s lovely. It reminds me of the TB2K instrumentals, just…not instrumental.

Yeah, buddy... That coda is fucking awesome. I love how it's the same song but still a totally different take.

I also wish it was a longer song.

PostPosted: Sun April 21, 2024 9:53 pm 
She / Her

I have zero problem believing that Ed and Watt both contributed to the riff

PostPosted: Sun April 21, 2024 10:08 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

Birds in Hell wrote:
that's never something I've wanted from the band. I don't even like that song very much, I don't want Eddie Vedder to take me on soaring, life-affirming journey!

Then your loss is my gain. Yet again, I am demonstrated to be the protagonist of the story.

PostPosted: Sun April 21, 2024 10:11 pm 
AnalLog

Ms Harmless wrote:

Same

PostPosted: Sun April 21, 2024 10:21 pm 
Future Drummer

In an album with so many strong songs I'm genuniely surprised to see this being so many people's favourite. It's the only song that hasn't clicked with me so far. On paper it should (I quite like Breath) but I think it's Ed's long drawn-out vocals that I don't like - the same reason I never liked 'Hold On', and probably why 'Alive' has never been a favourite of mine either.

I really enjoyed Stip's write up of the song though and his reaction to it which I can totally appreciate - it's just not doing it for me.

PostPosted: Sun April 21, 2024 10:46 pm 
AnalLog

ridleybradout wrote:
In an album with so many strong songs I'm genuniely surprised to see this being so many people's favourite. It's the only song that hasn't clicked with me so far. On paper it should (I quite like Breath) but I think it's Ed's long drawn-out vocals that I don't like - the same reason I never liked 'Hold On', and probably why 'Alive' has never been a favourite of mine either.

I really enjoyed Stip's write up of the song though and his reaction to it which I can totally appreciate - it's just not doing it for me.

I'm with you there. Don't get me wrong, WFS is a strong song. Great even. But I think I've listened to it the least out of everything else thus far, maybe because it sounds TOO familiar (if that makes sense). I've no doubt it will continue to grow on me as I give it more spins. Absolutely love the lyrics

PostPosted: Sun April 21, 2024 10:47 pm 
AnalLog

Kevin Davis wrote:

1000%

PostPosted: Sun April 21, 2024 11:13 pm 
The worst

ridleybradout wrote:

It is definitely a type. It is trying to do something. And it is doing all of it really really really hard. And so if you aren't on board i understand why this might not connect.

Again, I REALLY cannot recommend the visualizer experience highly enough for this one. The definitive way to hear this song, for now., I think

He/Him/His

PostPosted: Sun April 21, 2024 11:14 pm 
The worst

it's a good Visualizer in itself, but the lyrics showing up as part of the visualizer (which granted they do everywhere) draw the right focus. This is a song that is declaimed as much as it is sung, and they feel really impactful when the text just shows up

He/Him/His

PostPosted: Sun April 21, 2024 11:56 pm 
Banned from the Pit

RockPusher wrote:
Ms Harmless wrote:

Same

Are we sure about the Ed part though? It sounds nothing like something he would write.

PostPosted: Sun April 21, 2024 11:59 pm 
The worst

I don't think it matters. Whatever emerged is an act of creation of the band and the fusion of their voices.

He/Him/His

PostPosted: Mon April 22, 2024 12:36 am 
Banned from the Pit

I'm fully with stip on this. There are many awesome songs on this album, but I can't stop listening to this one. A totally unexpected gift, at least for many who grew up with the band early on.

PostPosted: Mon April 22, 2024 12:50 am 
The worst

Great avatar. Pearl Jam should cover Yakkity Sax

He/Him/His

PostPosted: Mon April 22, 2024 2:18 am 
A Return To Form

ElonDusk wrote:
RockPusher wrote:
Ms Harmless wrote:

Same

Are we sure about the Ed part though? It sounds nothing like something he would write.

I'd like to know whose riff is on the record. If the story is true - and I believe it is - then the two riffs were similar but not the same.

On sirius, Stone introduced this song by saying it was "Watt's baby" and the "closest we've come to co-writing".

PostPosted: Mon April 22, 2024 6:51 am 
Posting (live)

This and Running are bottom of the DM pile for me.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 344 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16 ... 18  Next

Board index » Watched from the Window ... » Pearl Jam