The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Watched from the Window ... » Pearl Jam

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 321 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 17  Next

Waiting for Stevie
5 Stars 68%  68%  [ 73 ]
4 Stars 22%  22%  [ 24 ]
3 Stars 7%  7%  [ 8 ]
2 Stars 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
1 Star 2%  2%  [ 2 ]
Total votes : 107
 Post subject: Re: Waiting For Stevie
PostPosted: Thu April 18, 2024 2:35 am 
AnalLog

injuddstree wrote:
This song is massive. Fucking. Massive.

Did not think they had this left in them.

The thought of this live is gonna make me shell out way too much money

PostPosted: Thu April 18, 2024 4:10 am 
Future Drummer

I think at least one of the "fear" lines is be:

"Dissolve the fear you are what you're not"

PostPosted: Thu April 18, 2024 4:36 am 
AnalLog

Rolling Stone's review (very positive) mentions every song but this one:

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/musi ... 235005622/

PostPosted: Thu April 18, 2024 5:49 am 
AnalLog

I could see this song fitting on Into the Wild

PostPosted: Thu April 18, 2024 6:33 am 
Future Drummer

Strat wrote:
Only 1 listen but biggest letdown and i blame all the hype. Still was really fucking awesome though? Looking forward to working through it quite a bit more.

Mike is shredding all over this album but i wouldnt say he has very memorable solos? At least not yet, perhaps.

This outro could have maybe benefited from crafting some sort of beginning, middle, and end as far as the solo goes.

Most of the time on this Album I prefer the song to the solo section end the end of a lot of songs. The solos feel very very spontaenously improvised. They bring a whole lot energy but are not very memorable.

PostPosted: Thu April 18, 2024 6:37 am 
She / Her

I never remember solos or jams, they're always very much an "in the moment" experience for me

PostPosted: Thu April 18, 2024 6:55 am 
Broken Tamborine

Ms Harmless wrote:
I never remember solos or jams, they're always very much an "in the moment" experience for me

I’m the same, with some rare and notable exceptions, solo’s are really about the feel. Just a straight album solo doesn’t do much for me. My favorite on DM is the solo at the end of Won’t Tell and it’s not even really a solo. Now, when I see a band play live, of course, it’s a different matter.

PostPosted: Thu April 18, 2024 6:56 am 
AnalLog
 WWW  Profile

I was in love with this from note one.

PostPosted: Thu April 18, 2024 6:58 am 
She / Her

Homeboyd wrote:
Ms Harmless wrote:

I’m the same, with some rare and notable exceptions, solo’s are really about the feel. Just a straight album solo doesn’t do much for me. My favorite on DM is the solo at the end of Won’t Tell and it’s not even really a solo. Now, when I see a band play live, of course, it’s a different matter.

however I'm really enjoying all the jamming on the album (sure, not all of it's "necessary" but is that the point in art?) and the mix up of styles and peaks and troughs of energy definitely does feel like a PJ concert

PostPosted: Thu April 18, 2024 7:13 am 
Broken Tamborine

Ms Harmless wrote:
Homeboyd wrote:
Ms Harmless wrote:

however I'm really enjoying all the jamming on the album (sure, not all of it's "necessary" but is that the point in art?) and the mix up of styles and peaks and troughs of energy definitely does feel like a PJ concert

I certainly don’t mind them at all on DM and I think if Upper Hand and WFS weren’t back to back I doubt it wouldn’t even really get noticed. I think both songs benefit from having a live feel to the outro.

PostPosted: Thu April 18, 2024 10:30 am 
The worst

Mike wrote:
Strat wrote:
Only 1 listen but biggest letdown and i blame all the hype. Still was really fucking awesome though? Looking forward to working through it quite a bit more.

Mike is shredding all over this album but i wouldnt say he has very memorable solos? At least not yet, perhaps.

This outro could have maybe benefited from crafting some sort of beginning, middle, and end as far as the solo goes.

Most of the time on this Album I prefer the song to the solo section end the end of a lot of songs. The solos feel very very spontaenously improvised. They bring a whole lot energy but are not very memorable.

So far that’s been my experience. But it may be that there are so many none immediately stood out

They feel like his live improvs, which I suppose they are

I Am No Guide - Pearl Jam Song by Song - Coming this July!
He/Him/His

PostPosted: Thu April 18, 2024 10:43 am 
She / Her

stip wrote:
Mike wrote:
Strat wrote:

So far that’s been my experience. But it may be that there are so many none immediately stood out

They feel like his live improvs, which I suppose they are

that ascending wobbly high note at the end of R/R is awesome though

PostPosted: Thu April 18, 2024 11:24 am 
AnalLog

I was expecting this to be great and it is. The early 90s PJ comparisons do make sense, especially with Eddie's sustained notes throughout and Mike's crazy solo. The song I didn't think they'd make, but they did. And I am grateful. 5 stars.

PostPosted: Thu April 18, 2024 11:42 am 
Future Drummer

Very interesting bass tone on this song. I don't think Jeff used something like this before. Almost has that wet sounding Tool bass sound

PostPosted: Thu April 18, 2024 11:46 am 
AnalLog

One of Pearl Jams biggest strengths is the ability to improvise off the cuff on the live setting. This really come from a musical brotherhood they share a five against one mentality. They as a band are light years better than the individual. There are instances they have brought this to the studio. Present Tense is a great example as is Alive. I want to feel this as well as hear it on every song to a certain extent. I like the Gilmore reference by Mike. Mike is really good at deciding when to compose a solo like in Daughter and when to just let it rip like in Dark Matter. As a guitar player I think it's one of his strengths. I desperately wanted this album to feel like 5 brothers letting loose in room. It accomplished that in spades. The extended jams that don't feel composed are the primary reason. On some of the poppier stuff they would not work quite as well which means every that is not of that ilk sit nicely with a outro jam. Yes I may have preferred a little more of a raw production on these, but that would have felt a little odd juxtaposed against the poppies songs. So I guess my point is the solo here on this one is meant to live in the moment and not remembered and I love that. I will say composed solo early in the song may have been welcomed, but it isn't missing either.

PostPosted: Thu April 18, 2024 1:45 pm 
likes rhythmic things that butt up against each other

PJ be like we’re so sorry our best song in the last 25 years sounds like it was written 25 years ago

PostPosted: Thu April 18, 2024 3:51 pm 
AnalLog

Hoping so hard that they play this on Howard Stern.

PostPosted: Thu April 18, 2024 4:24 pm 
jeeeesus relax already

Mike wrote:
Very interesting bass tone on this song. I don't think Jeff used something like this before. Almost has that wet sounding Tool bass sound

Yeah i love it too. Very present in the mix, very distorted too.

Yeah, this one is massive AF

PostPosted: Thu April 18, 2024 4:30 pm 
AnalLog

Fuck this song is awesome. Hearing the leak mp3 in headphones for the first time (turned down a little from usual so not an ears assault) and it's just perfection and Matt's drumming is the best I've ever heard in this band.

PostPosted: Thu April 18, 2024 5:42 pm 
The Master

Upper hand into this?!?!

are you serious????

:shock: :luv:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 321 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 17  Next

Board index » Watched from the Window ... » Pearl Jam