The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Watched from the Window ... » Pearl Jam

Post subject: Re: The cancelled Pearl Jam album from 2018?
PostPosted: Wed January 31, 2024 1:46 am 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

Leatherhead wrote:
Ms Harmless wrote:
Leatherhead wrote:
Ms Harmless wrote:
agreed, and I like Ed's snarling performance as well, it reminds me of Vitalogy; considering the lyrics are far less embarrassing than some that made it onto albums in recent years, I like it more than some here and maybe most

What's worse than "You may be rich, but you can't control me."?

you really need me to list the several late PJ lyrics worse than that?

No.

let's all just agree to agree that Ed writes terrible lyrics, is poorly educated, overly stoned and drunk all the time, not interesting, not insightful, no longer skilled at singing, boring to listen to speak, not credible, is rambly, is inarticulate, does not get to the point, is vain, is not that talented, has terrible hair, sounds like a homeless person who just woke up after a bender, looks terrible, makes bad life choices, is short, and belongs in TV commercials at this point and nothing more

i mean i think that's fair right

i think that's what we're all saying at this point

All posts by this account, even those referencing real things, are entirely fictional and are for entertainment purposes only; i.e. very low-quality entertainment. These may contain coarse language and due to their content should not be viewed by anyone

PostPosted: Wed January 31, 2024 1:02 pm 
She / Her

you didn't list a single bad lyric in that diatribe, you love him

PostPosted: Wed January 31, 2024 4:26 pm 
Broken Tamborine

Interesting. I didn’t know Can’t Deny Me was from a scrapped session. Based on that track alone maybe it was best that they scrapped it.

PostPosted: Wed January 31, 2024 7:08 pm 
The worst

I think Can't Deny Me is one of Ed's weaker outings, but that kind of direct lyrics about something he is really passionate about does not really play to his strengths as a writer. And class has never been where he is at his best (honestly Even Flow is probably his best lyric, or Sleight of Hand, but neither is directly about class), or political screeds. His best political songs usually bring in the political messaging from the side.

Having said that, I don't think Eddie has changed all that much in terms of quality throughout his career. He often writes more than he used to (but I think his facility with melody has improved which has helped offset a loss of raw power)

Eddie has written amazing lyrics throughout his career
He has written decent lyrics that are elevated by being part of an incredible song (or incredible delivery)
He has written weaker lyrics that are elevated to okay by the song or performance
He has written strong lyrics that are undercut by weaker surrounding songs
He has written decent and weaker lyrics undercut by their surrounding songs.

Ed writes lyrics, not poetry. They are often poetic lyrics but they are clearly designed to be sung, by him, and with a musical accompaniment. The idea that his writing has dropped off seems wrong to me. I think it's just that many fans are less enamored with some of the more recent songs that have housed them (at whatever point someone starts to consider Pearl Jam 'late period'_

In my opinion :)

I Am No Guide - Pearl Jam Song by Song - Coming this July!
He/Him/His

PostPosted: Thu February 01, 2024 2:01 pm 
Rank This Poster

between gigaton and EVs solo stuff i image we've heard the best of whatever this was

PostPosted: Thu February 01, 2024 5:33 pm 
AnalLog

96583UP wrote:
Leatherhead wrote:
Ms Harmless wrote:
Leatherhead wrote:
Ms Harmless wrote:
agreed, and I like Ed's snarling performance as well, it reminds me of Vitalogy; considering the lyrics are far less embarrassing than some that made it onto albums in recent years, I like it more than some here and maybe most

What's worse than "You may be rich, but you can't control me."?

you really need me to list the several late PJ lyrics worse than that?

No.

let's all just agree to agree that Ed writes terrible lyrics, is poorly educated, overly stoned and drunk all the time, not interesting, not insightful, no longer skilled at singing, boring to listen to speak, not credible, is rambly, is inarticulate, does not get to the point, is vain, is not that talented, has terrible hair, sounds like a homeless person who just woke up after a bender, looks terrible, makes bad life choices, is short, and belongs in TV commercials at this point and nothing more

Disagree

PostPosted: Thu February 01, 2024 6:28 pm 
Troglodyte
 WWW  Profile

96583UP wrote:

Hey, can I interest you in a book? https://bookshop.org/p/books/i-am-no-gu ... 1781559086

PostPosted: Thu February 01, 2024 6:36 pm 
likes rhythmic things that butt up against each other

According to the Italians:

First Gigaton session was September 2016. Whatever songs they recorded are not listed. BOB is credited on keys and piano.

Recorded March 2017:
Around and Around (Chuck Berry)
Again Today (Brandi Carlile)
Retrograde (alternate)
Rivercross (Ed demo)

BOB not credited on any instruments.
Dave Krusen credited on drums for (I think) Around and Around.

Recorded February 2018:
Can’t Deny Me
Get It Back
Seven O’clock (versione strumentale)

BOB credited on keys and piano

Then the two sessions in 2019 where they recorded everything that went on the album.
BOB credited on keyboard for Quick Escape and Retrograde.

Board index » Watched from the Window ... » Pearl Jam