The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Watched from the Window ... » Pearl Jam

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 4546 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 216, 217, 218, 219, 220, 221, 222 ... 228  Next

Dark Matter Initial Reactions
5 Stars 12%  12%  [ 23 ]
4 Stars 51%  51%  [ 96 ]
3 Stars 30%  30%  [ 56 ]
2 Stars 5%  5%  [ 9 ]
1 Star 2%  2%  [ 3 ]
Total votes : 187
 Post subject: Re: Dark Matter (song)
PostPosted: Sun March 24, 2024 7:29 pm 
AnalLog

Ms Harmless wrote:

I'm really hoping that the "movie" thing being released to cinemas is available to stream like Gigaton's was because I thought that was really, really good

I'm glad you said this. I own the one for Gigaton on my AppleTV and really enjoyed it. I know the Atmos mix will be on disc 2 of the deluxe edition, but, nothing is mentioned of including a visual component on that one.

We still make records to be listened to — not that everyone will listen to a record track one to twelve in a row or side A or Side B — but we still make 'em in case somebody does want to listen to it like that, that's how we make em…

PostPosted: Sun March 24, 2024 7:36 pm 
10Club Complaint Department

oneway23 wrote:
Ms Harmless wrote:

I'm really hoping that the "movie" thing being released to cinemas is available to stream like Gigaton's was because I thought that was really, really good

I'm glad you said this. I own the one for Gigaton on my AppleTV and really enjoyed it. I know the Atmos mix will be on disc 2 of the deluxe edition, but, nothing is mentioned of including a visual component on that one.

It's a Blu Ray, so it possibly includes the visuals.

PostPosted: Sun March 24, 2024 7:44 pm 
AnalLog

Birds in Hell wrote:
oneway23 wrote:
Ms Harmless wrote:

It's a Blu Ray, so it possibly includes the visuals.

I sure hope so. I have the latest Tears For Fears record on blu-ray and there are no visuals whatsoever, just a menu and the song titles while the song plays.
The new Porcupine Tree on blu-ray has each song as basically a background wallpaper with minimal movement.

FWIW, SDE in the UK makes no mention of a visual component in their listing. Doesn't mean it won't be there, but, it's not referenced, at least as of right now.

I'm hoping Apple makes it available as a complete package again.

We still make records to be listened to — not that everyone will listen to a record track one to twelve in a row or side A or Side B — but we still make 'em in case somebody does want to listen to it like that, that's how we make em…

PostPosted: Sun March 24, 2024 9:32 pm 
The worst

two things i really love about the DM chorus (which I think is pretty great).

1. Eddie’s voice pushes out to fill the space without getting too screechy or flashy about it - leaning into his organic power quite successfully

2. the way he pushes himself right up to but not beyond his break point, so the few moments he goes over have more impact

I Am No Guide - Pearl Jam Song by Song - Coming this July!
He/Him/His

PostPosted: Sun March 24, 2024 9:33 pm 
The worst

this is a pretty great vocal performance start to finish, though

I Am No Guide - Pearl Jam Song by Song - Coming this July!
He/Him/His

PostPosted: Sun March 24, 2024 9:35 pm 
She / Her

agreed

PostPosted: Sun March 24, 2024 10:00 pm 
The Master

I too am compressed with this song’s chorus.

PostPosted: Sun March 24, 2024 10:00 pm 
The Master

I meant impressed!

PostPosted: Sun March 24, 2024 10:17 pm 
jeeeesus relax already

stip wrote:
this is a pretty great vocal performance start to finish, though

Yeah I love it. Specially the energy that comes from it

PostPosted: Sun March 24, 2024 10:19 pm 
Future Drummer

I like Eddie on both of these songs. These days I much prefer his shouting voice to his screaming voice.

PostPosted: Sun March 24, 2024 10:20 pm 
Production Police

tommy wrote:
I like Eddie on both of these songs. These days I much prefer his shouting voice to his screaming voice.

:lol: I love that you're not even joking, yet it's the best assessment of what we're working with here

PostPosted: Sun March 24, 2024 10:23 pm 
Future Drummer

tragabigzanda wrote:
tommy wrote:

:lol: I love that you're not even joking, yet it's the best assessment of what we're working with here

He's an old smoker, we're lucky he can sing at all

PostPosted: Sun March 24, 2024 10:25 pm 
Production Police

tommy wrote:
tragabigzanda wrote:
tommy wrote:

John Prine had half neck taken out, dialed back his singing to something manageable, and finished his career beautifully. Just sayin'.

PostPosted: Sun March 24, 2024 10:28 pm 
Future Drummer

tragabigzanda wrote:
tommy wrote:
tragabigzanda wrote:
tommy wrote:

John Prine had half neck taken out, dialed back his singing to something manageable, and finished his career beautifully. Just sayin'.

I would definitely prefer dialed back Riot Act Eddie, but Gigaton/DM Ed is a big improvement over Avocado Ed.

PostPosted: Sun March 24, 2024 10:30 pm 
She / Her

tommy wrote:
tragabigzanda wrote:
tommy wrote:
tragabigzanda wrote:
tommy wrote:

I would definitely prefer dialed back Riot Act Eddie, but Gigaton/DM Ed is a big improvement over Avocado Ed.

truth

PostPosted: Sun March 24, 2024 10:31 pm 
Production Police

tommy wrote:
tragabigzanda wrote:
tommy wrote:
tragabigzanda wrote:
tommy wrote:

Interesting. I think that Ed wears his age well on S/T, for the most part (but not totally). He did it again on Gigaton but he seems to be swinging for the fences on these two new ones and it sounds pretty rough to my ears.

PostPosted: Sun March 24, 2024 10:53 pm 
Rank This Poster

Gigaton, for the most part, sounded to me like Eddie sounds now, I think the positive thing there was more in the songwriting; he found ways to highlight the positive aspects of what his voice can deliver now. These new songs sound like he's moving farther outside of that space, so the results end up sounding like they've got a lot of polish on them (DM) or kind of confused, like the end of Running; I love what he's doing at the beginning of the track, where he sounds really locked in on the verses, but I don't know what he's going for at the end.

PostPosted: Sun March 24, 2024 11:04 pm 
Posting (live)

I'm with Trag on this about Ed's voice. Binaural and RA indicated that Ed's voice was going to age nicely but the screechy-ness is too much.

There are plenty of singers who have had to adapt their voices with age.

PostPosted: Sun March 24, 2024 11:06 pm 
Production Police

digster wrote:
Gigaton, for the most part, sounded to me like Eddie sounds now, I think the positive thing there was more in the songwriting; he found ways to highlight the positive aspects of what his voice can deliver now. These new songs sound like he's moving farther outside of that space, so the results end up sounding like they've got a lot of polish on them (DM) or kind of confused, like the end of Running; I love what he's doing at the beginning of the track, where he sounds really locked in on the verses, but I don't know what he's going for at the end.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Some people on Reddit pointing to time stamps on DM and Running saying they can hear autotune. Honestly, I haven't listened enough to say one way or another, and I kind of accept that virtually every singer today uses at least a little autotune. But I think your point is right on the money.

PostPosted: Sun March 24, 2024 11:07 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

LetMeSleep wrote:
I'm with Trag on this about Ed's voice. Binaural and RA indicated that Ed's voice was going to age nicely but the screechy-ness is too much.

lmao he was like 37 years old

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 4546 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 216, 217, 218, 219, 220, 221, 222 ... 228  Next

Board index » Watched from the Window ... » Pearl Jam