The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Watched from the Window ... » Pearl Jam

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 4568 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 215, 216, 217, 218, 219, 220, 221 ... 229  Next

Dark Matter Initial Reactions
5 Stars 12%  12%  [ 23 ]
4 Stars 51%  51%  [ 96 ]
3 Stars 30%  30%  [ 57 ]
2 Stars 5%  5%  [ 9 ]
1 Star 2%  2%  [ 3 ]
Total votes : 188
 Post subject: Re: Dark Matter (song)
PostPosted: Sun March 24, 2024 5:29 pm 
The worst

RockPusher wrote:
Strat wrote:
I regret that at one point in my fandom i was the one who told people who didnt like pearl jam to stop posting about pearl jam.

That is not what I’m doing. And I can be critical of Pearl Jam. Evacuation for example is a song I actively dislike.

Okay, how about on the count of three we all just let this go and move on with our day. Streamer bots and how we measure widespread success is an interesting conversation. We've hit our quota of board meta commentary for the week.

I Am No Guide - Pearl Jam Song by Song - Coming this July!
He/Him/His

PostPosted: Sun March 24, 2024 5:30 pm 
The Master

tragabigzanda wrote:
stip wrote:
tragabigzanda wrote:
stip wrote:
It's ahead of half of Gigaton, and pretty much all of Backspacer and Riot Act as well. Good chunk of Yield. It's hard to figure out how to parse this. Those albums would have gotten a boost with a streaming release, but they've also had years of opportunities for casual play.

Dark Matter has clearly done well so far, regardless

Serious question: What's the usage of bots like these days to drive plays and streaming revenues/hype? I've not kept up with this at all, but if it happens on X it probably happens on streaming platforms.

I'm not the person to answer that. I am sure some gaming happens, but I have spent some idle moments looking at Pearl Jam's spotify numbers song by song (it's a nice distraction when there is space to check out in a remote meeting) and they do pretty much track the way I would expect them too, with the songs identified as singles and hits usually fairly far ahead of the deeper album cuts. I've always wondered how much Pearl Jam's numbers are impacted by the existence of a SIRUS XM station devoted exclusively to the band.

Based on some of the articles you posted, it doesn't seem like their use would be as prevalent with legacy artists who have built in fan bases.

I miss the days of album sales as a shorthand for interest/distribution and success. I'm sure there were tons of challenges with that as well (Monster sold a lot of copies, as did Vitalogy, but they were easily the most popular Pearl Jam and REM entries in every used CD section i ever perused), but it seems cleaner

This all seems fair.

My skepticism about the numbers for Running have virtually nothing to do with the song, and more to do with the fact that it's been out for like 48 hours.

3. Bargaining

PostPosted: Sun March 24, 2024 5:30 pm 
She / Her

people who loudly and aggressively hate things I love, in what I perceive as my space (rightly or wrongly) can and do put me off those things over time; I absorb their feelings over time, even if I know deep down they're still not my feelings (because every time I spend time with the music I associate it with our conflict); so, when people are expressing opposite feelings to mine about Pearl Jam (within reason), I have to take a break from the discourse and just listen on my own, where nobody's feelings matter but mine; it's just how my brain works and I accept it, don't feel I have to change it, and have ways to cope with it; I only get into verbal fisticuffs when I feel someone's innate humanity, intelligence, and physical ability is being insulted just because we feel different about a piece of pop art

Last edited by Ms Harmless on Sun March 24, 2024 5:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun March 24, 2024 5:31 pm 
The worst

tragabigzanda wrote:
stip wrote:
tragabigzanda wrote:
stip wrote:
It's ahead of half of Gigaton, and pretty much all of Backspacer and Riot Act as well. Good chunk of Yield. It's hard to figure out how to parse this. Those albums would have gotten a boost with a streaming release, but they've also had years of opportunities for casual play.

Serious question: What's the usage of bots like these days to drive plays and streaming revenues/hype? I've not kept up with this at all, but if it happens on X it probably happens on streaming platforms.

I'm not the person to answer that. I am sure some gaming happens, but I have spent some idle moments looking at Pearl Jam's spotify numbers song by song (it's a nice distraction when there is space to check out in a remote meeting) and they do pretty much track the way I would expect them too, with the songs identified as singles and hits usually fairly far ahead of the deeper album cuts. I've always wondered how much Pearl Jam's numbers are impacted by the existence of a SIRUS XM station devoted exclusively to the band.

Based on some of the articles you posted, it doesn't seem like their use would be as prevalent with legacy artists who have built in fan bases.

I miss the days of album sales as a shorthand for interest/distribution and success. I'm sure there were tons of challenges with that as well (Monster sold a lot of copies, as did Vitalogy, but they were easily the most popular Pearl Jam and REM entries in every used CD section i ever perused), but it seems cleaner

This all seems fair.

My skepticism about the numbers for Running have virtually nothing to do with the song, and more to do with the fact that it's been out for like 48 hours.

I don't think Running is that high yet. The early comment was about Dark Matter. As of a few seconds ago:

Dark Matter -5,139,272
Running - 341,892

that running number feels plausible. If anything it feels low, but that might just be because a day of a song's release feels like two weeks given the pace of the board conversation

He/Him/His

PostPosted: Sun March 24, 2024 5:35 pm 
Future Drummer

Streaming is an interesting beast for assessing popularity. Going by Spotify numbers, many listeners in the current generation apparently view "Here Comes the Sun" as among the most popular in that catalog.
Great song, but, that would probably be a pretty wild take were it isolated as an opinion on, say, a Beatle-centric forum.

We still make records to be listened to — not that everyone will listen to a record track one to twelve in a row or side A or Side B — but we still make 'em in case somebody does want to listen to it like that, that's how we make em…

PostPosted: Sun March 24, 2024 5:36 pm 
The worst

4 years out, Dance has 37 million listens, and Superblood has 22.5. QE and REtrograde have about 13. Everything else ranges between 4-7 million. But DM seems to have been a much bigger hit

Mind Your Manners (going back a long ways) has 16 million listens, and I think that did pretty well, but it's right in line with a few of the other bigger fan hits on the album (Getaway, Lightning Bolt, Pendulum - all 16-21).

Future Days, which had some 3rd party placement, is at 32.5

Sirens, a decade out, has 101 million

That's just for some recent context. I don't remember how fast Dance started to put up its numbers. Those were the early days of my Spotify usage when I was still using itunes as much as possible

He/Him/His

PostPosted: Sun March 24, 2024 5:37 pm 
Production Police

oneway23 wrote:
Streaming is an interesting beast for assessing popularity. Going by Spotify numbers, many listeners in the current generation apparently view "Here Comes the Sun" as among the most popular in that catalog.
Great song, but, that would probably be a pretty wild take were it isolated as an opinion on, say, a Beatle-centric forum.

:thumbsup: One of my favorite scenes in that show Dave was when his manager gives the PowerPoint to the label execs about his online engagements. That was all starting to happen just as I was leaving the industry, so I was only aware by proxy. I enjoyed seeing it played out on the screen like that and suspect it's basically how it goes in real life now.

PostPosted: Sun March 24, 2024 5:38 pm 
Production Police

stip wrote:
tragabigzanda wrote:
stip wrote:
tragabigzanda wrote:
stip wrote:

This all seems fair.

I don't think Running is that high yet. The early comment was about Dark Matter. As of a few seconds ago:

Dark Matter -5,139,272
Running - 341,892

that running number feels plausible. If anything it feels low, but that might just be because a day of a song's release feels like two weeks given the pace of the board conversation

yeah I don't think that's crazy for DM at all. But nor would I be surprised if there were some shenanigans behind the scenes.

PostPosted: Sun March 24, 2024 5:49 pm 
The Master

Its all about streaming plays. Its really only how bands will get signed by any degree. So, yea, its all streaming.

Im gonna pay so many bots somehow and get myself famous so you can all E my A

PostPosted: Sun March 24, 2024 5:52 pm 
The Master

Strat wrote:
Its all about streaming plays. Its really only how bands will get signed by any degree. So, yea, its all streaming.

Every time you feel the urge to make a post defending trag, detour to Spotify and play one of your songs instead.

PostPosted: Sun March 24, 2024 5:53 pm 
The worst

I'll leave you on repeat, Strat!

He/Him/His

PostPosted: Sun March 24, 2024 5:55 pm 
The Master

With PJ's social media presence the way it is these days, no way anyone would sign them.

PostPosted: Sun March 24, 2024 5:57 pm 
Future Drummer

Strat wrote:

I bet you'll leave ambient mics in the mix and you'll ease up on the master compression bus on your record.
If you get famous and meet Wotman, please get him to see the error of his ways and change his approach on the next PJ album. I might just E your A

We still make records to be listened to — not that everyone will listen to a record track one to twelve in a row or side A or Side B — but we still make 'em in case somebody does want to listen to it like that, that's how we make em…

Last edited by oneway23 on Sun March 24, 2024 7:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun March 24, 2024 6:10 pm 
She / Her

Strat wrote:
With PJ's social media presence the way it is these days, no way anyone would sign them.

I really wasn't expecting it to fall so hard again after Gigaton lol

PostPosted: Sun March 24, 2024 6:11 pm 
NYUCK NYUCK NYUCK

The "Dark Matter" streaming numbers make sense especially if it's been placed in a few high profile playlists, which I think it has

PostPosted: Sun March 24, 2024 6:50 pm 
Production Police

Ms Harmless wrote:
Strat wrote:

That’s another thing that irks me about this promotional cycle: it feels so unformed and directionless. “Here’s a 2-minute song, maybe go for a jog and point your phone at the sun.”

PostPosted: Sun March 24, 2024 7:01 pm 
She / Her

tragabigzanda wrote:
Ms Harmless wrote:
Strat wrote:

That’s another thing that irks me about this promotional cycle: it feels so unformed and directionless. “Here’s a 2-minute song, maybe go for a jog and point your phone at the sun.”

I agree with you there, hilariously weird and phoned in (pun definitely intended) which is why I'm sticking entirely to me and the music this time

PostPosted: Sun March 24, 2024 7:10 pm 
The worst

tragabigzanda wrote:
Ms Harmless wrote:
Strat wrote:

As opposed to Gigaton's? Three videos for the same thing and point your cell phone towards the sky for a clip of SBWM. Pearl Jam has never been good at self-promotion. Their hearts are not into it.

Uninformed and directionless is 100% fair, but it's nothing new.

He/Him/His

PostPosted: Sun March 24, 2024 7:14 pm 
She / Her

stip wrote:
tragabigzanda wrote:
Ms Harmless wrote:
Strat wrote:

As opposed to Gigaton's? Three videos for the same thing and point your cell phone towards the sky for a clip of SBWM. Pearl Jam has never been good at self-promotion. Their hearts are not into it.

I'm really hoping that the "movie" thing being released to cinemas is available to stream like Gigaton's was because I thought that was really, really good

PostPosted: Sun March 24, 2024 7:28 pm 
Production Police

stip wrote:
tragabigzanda wrote:
Ms Harmless wrote:
Strat wrote:

you know what I truly loved? The homemade DOTC video where Ed's family was dancing with the lights off. It was such a fun, goofy thing to come out of the pandemic. Not exactly high art, but it fit the moment really well.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 4568 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 215, 216, 217, 218, 219, 220, 221 ... 229  Next

Board index » Watched from the Window ... » Pearl Jam