The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Watched from the Window ... » Pearl Jam

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 14056 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 648, 649, 650, 651, 652, 653, 654 ... 703  Next

Rank Dark Matter
5 Stars 61%  61%  [ 112 ]
4 Stars 28%  28%  [ 52 ]
3 Stars 8%  8%  [ 15 ]
2 Stars 1%  1%  [ 1 ]
2 Star 1%  1%  [ 1 ]
%#*! Andrew Watt 2%  2%  [ 3 ]
Total votes : 184
 Post subject: Re: Dark Matter: Official Album Thread
PostPosted: Tue April 23, 2024 2:43 am 
Rank This Poster

stip wrote:
DDWJMUVW wrote:
I also thought he sounded good considering. And that’s the key word. If you’re expecting him to sound like 91-94 Ed you’re batshit. If you’re expecting 98 tour you’re nuts. If you’re expecting 09/13 you’re asking a lot.

I think Watt kept him in his pocket vocally on this record and I like that. Don’t choose registers that don’t work for him at this point. He still has an amazing voice, and one of the most unique in rock history, but play to your strengths given your age.

If he can be selective with how he uses his voice night by night on the tour, it will serve him well in the long term. I was a little disappointed when he didn’t answer Howard’s question about maintaining his voice with: oh I do x/y/z and instead said he “just leans into it”. No dude - you need to be preserving with exercises and therapy. He admitted at St Paul N1 last summer to smoking in the shower in his hotel that morning. WTF are you still smoking for??

it's infuriating

Fuck this. He's a fuckin' rock star. Smoke all you fuckin' want Ed!

PostPosted: Tue April 23, 2024 2:56 am 
Broken Tamborine

DDWJMUVW wrote:
I also thought he sounded good considering. And that’s the key word. If you’re expecting him to sound like 91-94 Ed you’re batshit. If you’re expecting 98 tour you’re nuts. If you’re expecting 09/13 you’re asking a lot.

I think Watt kept him in his pocket vocally on this record and I like that. Don’t choose registers that don’t work for him at this point. He still has an amazing voice, and one of the most unique in rock history, but play to your strengths given your age.

If he can be selective with how he uses his voice night by night on the tour, it will serve him well in the long term. I was a little disappointed when he didn’t answer Howard’s question about maintaining his voice with: oh I do x/y/z and instead said he “just leans into it”. No dude - you need to be preserving with exercises and therapy. He admitted at St Paul N1 last summer to smoking in the shower in his hotel that morning. WTF are you still smoking for??

I was actually going to post this!

Yes, regarding Ed answering Howard’s question it sounds like Ed does nothing to help his voice. It’s crazy and you wonder the difference it could’ve made over the years if he would have taken care of his voice more.

PostPosted: Tue April 23, 2024 3:18 am 
Rank This Poster
 WWW  Profile

that's so cool eddie met hunter s thompson.

PostPosted: Tue April 23, 2024 4:00 am 
Broken Tamborine

Of the main "grunge" lead singers only Kurt and Eddie consistently shredded their voices...it would be interesting (and awesome) if more than just Eddie were still alive to hear what they sounded like now. CC and Layne seemed to sing in a controlled way that was more sustainable. No chance if Kurt were alive he still sounds like he did as he put a ton of stress on his voice. In any case I really don't listen to the bootlegs anymore as it's a clear step down even if the playing is probably as good as ever. When you see them live it really isn't an issue yet imo.

PostPosted: Tue April 23, 2024 4:47 am 
The Master

I know we dissect every other fucking aspect of Pearl Jam ad museum but I truly can't think of anything else as boring and pointless as talking about the decline of Ed's voice at this point. Dude is fucking 60' and been shredding his voice for 30 plus years.

Dumb.

Let's shit on stones tone using that fucking weird semi hollow body gold top that sounds thin and lifeless

PostPosted: Tue April 23, 2024 5:13 am 
Broken Tamborine

Stip, I finally had a chance to read your review and I just want to say bravo. Such a wonderful review of such a wonderful album.

It's OOOOKay!! Sometimes you'll find yourself...having to put allll yoooour faith, in noooooo faa-a-aith!! Mine is mine and yours won't take its place, now make your getaway-HEY!

PostPosted: Tue April 23, 2024 6:20 am 
Broken Tamborine

Arthur Morgan wrote:
DDWJMUVW wrote:

I was actually going to post this!

Yes, regarding Ed answering Howard’s question it sounds like Ed does nothing to help his voice. It’s crazy and you wonder the difference it could’ve made over the years if he would have taken care of his voice more.

Ed's being facetious with his answer. He's spoken previously about his pre-tour detox regime. Apologies I can't remember the interview (it's pre-Gigaton) but he does quit the tabs for a time, has specific drinks for his throat, stays off the booze. I think once he's actually out on tour anything goes tho.

Agreed he's at the age he should be quitting the cigs. Cornell's voice improved immeasurably when he quit. Ed's spoken about having pressure from his family to give up, but 30+ years is a hard habit to kick.

PostPosted: Tue April 23, 2024 7:15 am 
Broken Tamborine

https://youtu.be/2SHHwmcAWZE?si=8DNLri6oQ150_DBD

Not sure if the links work but this was about the high water mark for me. DM doesn't reach that level but it at least approaches...

PostPosted: Tue April 23, 2024 8:47 am 
The worst

Walker Bait wrote:
Stip, I finally had a chance to read your review and I just want to say bravo. Such a wonderful review of such a wonderful album.

thank you :)

I Am No Guide - Pearl Jam Song by Song - Coming this July!
He/Him/His

PostPosted: Tue April 23, 2024 10:17 am 
AnalLog

Walker Bait wrote:

100% agree. Masterful as always Stip

These reviews are one of the the reasons I love being on this website

PostPosted: Tue April 23, 2024 11:14 am 
Future Drummer

FIrst time in a long time that I'd be happy if they played most of the new record at the concert I'm going to

PostPosted: Tue April 23, 2024 11:46 am 
Broken Tamborine

Jeff and Stone did the Broken Record podcast. It's out now.

PostPosted: Tue April 23, 2024 11:47 am 
Rank This Poster

Strat wrote:
Let's shit on stones tone using that fucking weird semi hollow body gold top that sounds thin and lifeless

Come on, he's almost 60. His semi hollow body gold top tone is not going to be as thick and full of life as it was in his 20s

PostPosted: Tue April 23, 2024 11:54 am 
Future Drummer

Strat wrote:
I know we dissect every other fucking aspect of Pearl Jam ad museum but I truly can't think of anything else as boring and pointless as talking about the decline of Ed's voice at this point. Dude is fucking 60' and been shredding his voice for 30 plus years.

Dumb.

Heh. Ad museum.

PostPosted: Tue April 23, 2024 12:04 pm 
Guys, I am not a moderator! I swear to God! Why does everyone think I'm a moderator?

I love this band but find it ridiculous that almost a week after the album was released and i still don’t have my physical copy that i preordered from the fan club months ago. I know that isn’t the band’s fault but i wish they would reevaluate who is running the show over there

PostPosted: Tue April 23, 2024 12:18 pm 
Future Drummer

Wreckage is nice

PostPosted: Tue April 23, 2024 12:23 pm 
Production Police

Habitman wrote:
Jeff and Stone did the Broken Record podcast. It's out now.

tragabigzanda wrote:
Mirrorball in Atmos is coming, according to Jeff on the Broken Record podcast

PostPosted: Tue April 23, 2024 12:28 pm 
The worst

team, is scared of fear one of pearl jam’s best songs, period? it might be

I Am No Guide - Pearl Jam Song by Song - Coming this July!
He/Him/His

PostPosted: Tue April 23, 2024 12:45 pm 
A Return To Form

stip wrote:

Yes, if we're talking about React/Respond.

PostPosted: Tue April 23, 2024 12:50 pm 
10Club Complaint Department

stip wrote:

i'm in this camp.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 14056 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 648, 649, 650, 651, 652, 653, 654 ... 703  Next

Board index » Watched from the Window ... » Pearl Jam