The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Watched from the Window ... » Pearl Jam

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 13998 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 577, 578, 579, 580, 581, 582, 583 ... 700  Next

Rank Dark Matter
5 Stars 61%  61%  [ 112 ]
4 Stars 28%  28%  [ 52 ]
3 Stars 8%  8%  [ 15 ]
2 Stars 1%  1%  [ 1 ]
2 Star 1%  1%  [ 1 ]
%#*! Andrew Watt 2%  2%  [ 3 ]
Total votes : 184
 Post subject: Re: Dark Matter: Official Album Thread
PostPosted: Fri April 19, 2024 3:30 pm 
AnalLog

stip wrote:
Fattie_Vedder wrote:
I’ve got the Dolby atmos version on Apple Music but I don’t know if this is the “good one”, or if it doesn’t matter because I’m listening on AirPods. But I’ve compared it to Spotify, and a couple of differences I noticed: atmos version has more room sound, more echo, and more bass. Noticeable drum difference. More distinction between left and right. However, I can hear some things better in the Spotify version. Certain second guitars are louder, and this is noticeable on react, respond and WFS; the solo is louder in the latter.

damn it. this is exactly what I didn't want. There should be one definitive version and then you're done!

I told you, stip :nice:

We still make records to be listened to — not that everyone will listen to a record track one to twelve in a row or side A or Side B — but we still make 'em in case somebody does want to listen to it like that, that's how we make em…

Last edited by oneway23 on Fri April 19, 2024 3:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Fri April 19, 2024 3:31 pm 
The worst

bluestate wrote:
sward wrote:
More of a lurker here in general but definitely check in more when a new album is out.. ....I love the album but also enjoying seeing the old school hard to pleasers professing joy over this!

Well done Pearl Jam - that is a feat worth more than anything else!

Yeah, even the harshest of skeptics are feeling the mojo... love it. There are 1 or 2 more of our hard-hearted comrades I'm waiting to hear from. Not holding my breath though.

Jorge hasn't chimed in and I am eager to hear from Kevin Davis (and I think Digster and Brett haven't weighed in, but I may have missed them)

I Am No Guide - Pearl Jam Song by Song - Coming this July!
He/Him/His

PostPosted: Fri April 19, 2024 3:32 pm 
The worst

oneway23 wrote:
stip wrote:
Fattie_Vedder wrote:
I’ve got the Dolby atmos version on Apple Music but I don’t know if this is the “good one”, or if it doesn’t matter because I’m listening on AirPods. But I’ve compared it to Spotify, and a couple of differences I noticed: atmos version has more room sound, more echo, and more bass. Noticeable drum difference. More distinction between left and right. However, I can hear some things better in the Spotify version. Certain second guitars are louder, and this is noticeable on react, respond and WFS; the solo is louder in the latter.

damn it. this is exactly what I didn't want. There should be one definitive version and then you're done!

I told you, stip :nice:

And each time it hurts

He/Him/His

Guys, I am not a moderator! I swear to God! Why does everyone think I'm a moderator?

stip wrote:
bluestate wrote:
sward wrote:
More of a lurker here in general but definitely check in more when a new album is out.. ....I love the album but also enjoying seeing the old school hard to pleasers professing joy over this!

Yeah, even the harshest of skeptics are feeling the mojo... love it. There are 1 or 2 more of our hard-hearted comrades I'm waiting to hear from. Not holding my breath though.

Jorge hasn't chimed in and I am eager to hear from Kevin Davis (and I think Digster and Brett haven't weighed in, but I may have missed them)

Also spenno

known prankster

Does the bloke with the Simpsons beer baron avatar still post here?

PostPosted: Fri April 19, 2024 3:34 pm 
The worst

E.H. Ruddock wrote:
stip wrote:
bluestate wrote:
sward wrote:

Also spenno

he's popped in and out. Maybe not after the 'official' launch

He/Him/His

PostPosted: Fri April 19, 2024 3:36 pm 
Future Drummer

Playing this in album order, it almost feels like a rock opera

PostPosted: Fri April 19, 2024 3:37 pm 
AnalLog

McParadigm wrote:
Stevie feels like such a correct climax for the journey that the record has been on, and the musical piece after it ends reenforces that feeling. Then the album just goes “nah, fuck that” and starts running again.

And thank god it does because the next journey that ends with Got to Give and Setting Sun is dramatic as hell!

PostPosted: Fri April 19, 2024 3:38 pm 
tl;dr

stip wrote:
bluestate wrote:
sward wrote:

Aw, I appreciate being on your list, buddy. I've got the CD coming today and I'm going to take the first opportunity I have for a proper sit-down/no-distractions listen, which should be this weekend at the latest. That's a small pleasure I miss from the pre-internet days and who knows how many more opportunities there will be to do it with a PJ record, so I want to savor it this time around. The only songs I've heard in full so far are "Dark Matter" which I like and "Wreckage" which I really like, and that coupled with everyone's enthusiasm (sans production gripes, which I'm mentally prepared for) has me really excited.

Last edited by Kevin Davis on Fri April 19, 2024 3:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri April 19, 2024 3:39 pm 
The Master

washing machine wrote:
McParadigm wrote:
Kinda expected running/special/got to give to give the album a weak second half, but those songs are so much better inside the album than they are on their own. And Got to Give has really grown on me. That Daltryesque delivery of “you and me can take on anyone” is such a fucking delight.

I never knew it until recently, but I've been waiting my entire life as a runner for a Pearl Jam song called "Running" that actually has a beat that you can run to.

Alas, I'm experiencing my first headphone listen with this thing with Octonauts on as a backdrop while folding my kiddo's clothes.

This should be the music video for Something Special.

PostPosted: Fri April 19, 2024 3:40 pm 
The worst

McParadigm wrote:
Stevie feels like such a correct climax for the journey that the record has been on, and the musical piece after it ends reenforces that feeling. Then the album just goes “nah, fuck that” and starts running again.

yup - it's like a main set/encore structure

He/Him/His

PostPosted: Fri April 19, 2024 3:42 pm 
likes rhythmic things that butt up against each other

oneway23 wrote:
Fattie_Vedder wrote:

What setting in the dolby atmos drop-down box found in the app settings is it set to, fattie?

If you have airpods, make sure it's set to automatic.

Also, please touch and hold the volume control in Control Center and tell me what it says...thanks

I’m not sure. I don’t see those settings; I’m on my phone. It’s the Apple Music app. I don’t see the volume control center either; just the volume gauge. Maybe that’s a desktop version thing?

I’m about to board a plane but I’ll check it out more later! See you on page 734 when I land!

PostPosted: Fri April 19, 2024 3:43 pm 
The Master

E.H. Ruddock wrote:
stip wrote:
bluestate wrote:
sward wrote:

Also spenno
what if he loves it too

PostPosted: Fri April 19, 2024 3:44 pm 
The Master

Listening on Spotify. It doesn’t sound as good as that Mega leak.

PostPosted: Fri April 19, 2024 3:44 pm 
AnalLog

Fattie_Vedder wrote:
I’m about to board a plane but I’ll check it out more later! See you on page 734 when I land!

Safe travels!

We still make records to be listened to — not that everyone will listen to a record track one to twelve in a row or side A or Side B — but we still make 'em in case somebody does want to listen to it like that, that's how we make em…

PostPosted: Fri April 19, 2024 3:45 pm 
10Club Complaint Department

spike wrote:
E.H. Ruddock wrote:
stip wrote:
bluestate wrote:
sward wrote:

Also spenno
what if he loves it too

the board might crash.

A Return To Form

They sequenced this album really well.

The crunchy guitars to start Scared of Fear kick ass!

Yeah Yeah Yeah

stip wrote:
sounds like I need to wait on an answer but where should i go for the best sounding version of this (and their music generally). i have airpods for my phone and quality headphones for my computer but not speaker set up.

i ordered the josh evans mix, have spotify, and just bought the album on itunes before oneway could warn me atmos was subscription only.

I want to upgrade and there are too many choices! where should i purchase or subscribe!

You should be able to find a free trial for Apple Music or even Amazon Music and listen to the Atmos mix that way. I’m curious to know how the deluxe cd/Blu-ray sounds. Still waiting for that and my vinyl to arrive.

PostPosted: Fri April 19, 2024 3:46 pm 
A Return To Form

I love how it’s not front loaded - it ends as strong as it starts!

PostPosted: Fri April 19, 2024 3:47 pm 
AnalLog

spike wrote:
Listening on Spotify. It doesn’t sound as good as that Mega leak.

Are you in wifi with highest audio quality selected? It makes a difference.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 13998 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 577, 578, 579, 580, 581, 582, 583 ... 700  Next

Board index » Watched from the Window ... » Pearl Jam