The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Watched from the Window ... » Pearl Jam

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 14043 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 649, 650, 651, 652, 653, 654, 655 ... 703  Next

Rank Dark Matter
5 Stars 61%  61%  [ 112 ]
4 Stars 28%  28%  [ 52 ]
3 Stars 8%  8%  [ 15 ]
2 Stars 1%  1%  [ 1 ]
2 Star 1%  1%  [ 1 ]
%#*! Andrew Watt 2%  2%  [ 3 ]
Total votes : 184
 Post subject: Re: Dark Matter: Official Album Thread
PostPosted: Tue April 23, 2024 12:51 pm 
AnalLog

Re: the whole outside writer thing

This isn't Steven Tyler working with Marti Fredericksen et al and coming up with awful power ballads that the rest of the band is embarrassed to play but you know, ka-ching

Klinghoffer is a touring member (and has proven himself to be a damn valuable one at that) and Watt essentially drove this record to the places they clearly wanted to go with BOB for Backspacer...the songs just weren't there for BS

PostPosted: Tue April 23, 2024 12:55 pm 
Yeah Yeah Yeah

Strat wrote:
I know we dissect every other fucking aspect of Pearl Jam ad museum but I truly can't think of anything else as boring and pointless as talking about the decline of Ed's voice at this point. Dude is fucking 60' and been shredding his voice for 30 plus years.

Dumb.

Let's shit on stones tone using that fucking weird semi hollow body gold top that sounds thin and lifeless

This x1000.

I don't understand what people expect from a 60 year old vocalist who has used every ounce of his voice for over 30 years. I hear "Ed's voice isn't the same" all the time. Fuckin' duh. How are old are these people with this opinion? Are they the same they were at 25? 28? 35?. Fuckin' weird ass opinion.

PostPosted: Tue April 23, 2024 12:59 pm 
Posting (live)
 WWW  Profile

Got Some wrote:
Walker Bait wrote:
Stip, I finally had a chance to read your review and I just want to say bravo. Such a wonderful review of such a wonderful album.

100% agree. Masterful as always Stip

These reviews are one of the the reasons I love being on this website

Agreed, Stip, great work. I must say though that I did catch a few typos.

PostPosted: Tue April 23, 2024 1:03 pm 
She / Her

FlatSideofaDog wrote:
stip wrote:
team, is scared of fear one of pearl jam’s best songs, period? it might be

Yes, if we're talking about React/Respond.

PostPosted: Tue April 23, 2024 1:09 pm 
AnalLog

E.H. Ruddock wrote:
I love this band but find it ridiculous that almost a week after the album was released and i still don’t have my physical copy that i preordered from the fan club months ago. I know that isn’t the band’s fault but i wish they would reevaluate who is running the show over there

Yeah same...the vinyl and CD i pre-ordered back in February just shipped last night. Yeah ok fine they gave us a digital download but really would have loved to have the album in my hands going thru the liner notes during those initial listens.

PostPosted: Tue April 23, 2024 1:17 pm 
Banned from the Pit

Just listened to the Howard stern review, sounded fun.
I noticed how Ed’s voice sounded softer, particularly during the old songs.
Wonder if this is down to an early morning start, or gear setup in rehearsal space, or not wearing his voice out on tour, or a new style. Only time will tell I guess until the tour starts.

Also Daughter sounded slowed down to regular speed right, not like the faster version from recent tours.

PostPosted: Tue April 23, 2024 1:21 pm 
likes rhythmic things that butt up against each other

stip wrote:

Definitely one of the biggest growers. It has every thing you want in a rocking PJ track. Catchy verses, catchy chorus, two amazing solos, an amazing bridge and an uplifting outro. It's an all timer.

I feel like both Scared of Fear and React Respond represent the early 2000's rock PJ era. They would both slot in on Binaural or Riot Act perfectly. I hear elements of Breakerfall, Grievance, Insignificance and Save You on SoF especially.

PostPosted: Tue April 23, 2024 1:22 pm 
She / Her

Vindicator wrote:
stip wrote:

Definitely one of the biggest growers. It has every thing you want in a rocking PJ track. Catchy verses, catchy chorus, two amazing solos, an amazing bridge and an uplifting outro. It's an all timer.

I feel like both Scared of Fear and React Respond represent the early 2000's rock PJ era. They would both slot in on Binaural or Riot Act perfectly. I hear elements of Breakerfall, Grievance, Insignificance and Save You on SoF especially.

totally

PostPosted: Tue April 23, 2024 1:29 pm 
Future Drummer

stip wrote:

It's sort of some mixture of Hail Hail + Insignificance, so...

PostPosted: Tue April 23, 2024 1:30 pm 
Broken Tamborine

Thurman Murman wrote:
E.H. Ruddock wrote:
I love this band but find it ridiculous that almost a week after the album was released and i still don’t have my physical copy that i preordered from the fan club months ago. I know that isn’t the band’s fault but i wish they would reevaluate who is running the show over there

Yeah same...the vinyl and CD i pre-ordered back in February just shipped last night. Yeah ok fine they gave us a digital download but really would have loved to have the album in my hands going thru the liner notes during those initial listens.

Still waiting here as well. Ordered from 10c in Feb. it’s disappointing but at least it’s on its way.

PostPosted: Tue April 23, 2024 1:34 pm 

Jaeti wrote:
stip wrote:

The bridge totally evokes the bridge of Insignificance, love it

PostPosted: Tue April 23, 2024 1:36 pm 
tl;dr

Arthur Morgan wrote:
Thurman Murman wrote:
E.H. Ruddock wrote:

Still waiting here as well. Ordered from 10c in Feb. it’s disappointing but at least it’s on its way.

This is frustrating. Sometimes I feel bad ordering from Amazon instead of 10C or other direct artist support channels, but...they certainly deliver on time.

PostPosted: Tue April 23, 2024 1:36 pm 
Broken Tamborine

chadisme417 wrote:
Strat wrote:
I know we dissect every other fucking aspect of Pearl Jam ad museum but I truly can't think of anything else as boring and pointless as talking about the decline of Ed's voice at this point. Dude is fucking 60' and been shredding his voice for 30 plus years.

Dumb.

Let's shit on stones tone using that fucking weird semi hollow body gold top that sounds thin and lifeless

This x1000.

I don't understand what people expect from a 60 year old vocalist who has used every ounce of his voice for over 30 years. I hear "Ed's voice isn't the same" all the time. Fuckin' duh. How are old are these people with this opinion? Are they the same they were at 25? 28? 35?. Fuckin' weird ass opinion.

Just to be clear I am not complaining about the current form of his voice. I still listen to newly released boots and enjoy them. I don’t expect Ed to recapture the glory days. I would be setting myself up for disappointment.

Myself and others were just pointing out that it is frustrating that Ed seems to not be interested in self care based on his answer that Stern asked yesterday.

I personally think Ed’s gradual decline and unwillingness to let it stop him from performing as a great example of being able to accept one’s aging process and still living the life that you want to. I really mean that.

PostPosted: Tue April 23, 2024 1:39 pm 

I was thinking about how this album kinda represented almost every era and style of the band and I think the only thing missing from the album is a "dark" PJ song, like Nothing As It Seems, Pendulum, Tremor Christ, Sleight of Hand, Immortality, etc.

Just that dark, depressing but beautiful style they do sometimes. They touched on it a bit with Upper Hand and Setting Sun but those are more atmospheric than dark.

Not a complaint, the album is fantastic. Just didn't get a dark song this time

PostPosted: Tue April 23, 2024 1:39 pm 
The worst

Kevin Davis wrote:
Arthur Morgan wrote:
Thurman Murman wrote:
E.H. Ruddock wrote:

This is frustrating. Sometimes I feel bad ordering from Amazon instead of 10C or other direct artist support channels, but...they certainly deliver on time.

i am still waiting for republic records to ship my cd!

I Am No Guide - Pearl Jam Song by Song - Coming this July!
He/Him/His

PostPosted: Tue April 23, 2024 1:40 pm 
The worst

which, come to think of, I’m not sure i can actually play

He/Him/His

PostPosted: Tue April 23, 2024 1:43 pm 
Broken Tamborine

stip wrote:
which, come to think of, I’m not sure i can actually play

Lol

PostPosted: Tue April 23, 2024 1:44 pm 
Production Police

Vindicator wrote:
Jaeti wrote:
stip wrote:

It’s a bit too derivative of past works for me to get behind this. But I will say it’s the best opener since GSMF and maybe even Life Wasted, and it conveys a sense of urgency that’s been missing from their music for like 15 years now. Four stars.

PostPosted: Tue April 23, 2024 1:45 pm 
The worst

tree_ wrote:
Got Some wrote:
Walker Bait wrote:
Stip, I finally had a chance to read your review and I just want to say bravo. Such a wonderful review of such a wonderful album.

100% agree. Masterful as always Stip

These reviews are one of the the reasons I love being on this website

Agreed, Stip, great work. I must say though that I did catch a few typos.

me too. I sat down at 8:30 and finished the draft around 5:30. proofread once, and posted. i actually nodded off a few times during the stretch where i was writing about wreckage -upper hand and I am a fast/careless typist much of the time. Im amazed there arent more

He/Him/His

PostPosted: Tue April 23, 2024 1:46 pm 
The worst

tragabigzanda wrote:
Vindicator wrote:
Jaeti wrote:
stip wrote:

It’s a bit too derivative of past works for me to get behind this. But I will say it’s the best opener since GSMF and maybe even Life Wasted, and it conveys a sense of urgency that’s been missing from their music for like 15 years now. Four stars.

its not new, that’s fair, but my internal curve generally undervalues experimentation and focuses on experience of listening. but sometimes both align perfectly and you get Dance

He/Him/His

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 14043 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 649, 650, 651, 652, 653, 654, 655 ... 703  Next

Board index » Watched from the Window ... » Pearl Jam