The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Watched from the Window ... » Pearl Jam

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 14017 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 587, 588, 589, 590, 591, 592, 593 ... 701  Next

Rank Dark Matter
5 Stars 61%  61%  [ 112 ]
4 Stars 28%  28%  [ 52 ]
3 Stars 8%  8%  [ 15 ]
2 Stars 1%  1%  [ 1 ]
2 Star 1%  1%  [ 1 ]
%#*! Andrew Watt 2%  2%  [ 3 ]
Total votes : 184
 Post subject: Re: Dark Matter: Official Album Thread
PostPosted: Sat April 20, 2024 12:04 am 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

Strat wrote:
Oh! So you haven't listened yet other than the theater ??

Nope! Not yet. I'll get my first listen in (with headphones!) in about 20 minutes!

PostPosted: Sat April 20, 2024 12:05 am 
Rank This Poster

Hold on to your butts!

PostPosted: Sat April 20, 2024 12:18 am 
Lost Cat

Wow - clearly an album about a couple on the verge of breaking up. It might be all fiction - maybe Ed's version of Quadrophenia, but that's clearly the theme of the ENTIRE record. It's mentioned in every single song. Even Something Special sounds like a dad reassuring his kids that he loves them and everything will be ok. That's followed by Got to Give (the husband is in agony and can't live like this anymore) and then Setting Sun (I hope we don't fade away like the setting sun). The lyrics in several songs also seem to suggest that the wife in the story had an affair and wants to leave. The husband seems willing to do whatever it takes to hold things together, but is afraid that he and his kids are going to lose her. Now, of course, the lyrics were written a while ago and Ed's whole family is still together so it seems to be a big story about failed love with a few personal facts thrown in. That usually makes for good art and that is definitely what we got with this album.

PostPosted: Sat April 20, 2024 12:20 am 
The worst

Okay, I've got six pages of stray thoughts and an infinite well of feeling to turn into something coherent. But I'll check in for Joey's headphones reaction

I Am No Guide - Pearl Jam Song by Song - Coming this July!
He/Him/His

PostPosted: Sat April 20, 2024 12:27 am 
Rank This Poster
 WWW  Profile

MitchCumstein74 wrote:
Wow - clearly an album about a couple on the verge of breaking up. It might be all fiction - maybe Ed's version of Quadrophenia, but that's clearly the theme of the ENTIRE record. It's mentioned in every single song. Even Something Special sounds like a dad reassuring his kids that he loves them and everything will be ok. That's followed by Got to Give (the husband is in agony and can't live like this anymore) and then Setting Sun (I hope we don't fade away like the setting sun). The lyrics in several songs also seem to suggest that the wife in the story had an affair and wants to leave. The husband seems willing to do whatever it takes to hold things together, but is afraid that he and his kids are going to lose her. Now, of course, the lyrics were written a while ago and Ed's whole family is still together so it seems to be a big story about failed love with a few personal facts thrown in. That usually makes for good art and that is definitely what we got with this album.

it's like the parting ways of albums..

PostPosted: Sat April 20, 2024 12:32 am 
Mind Your Tanners

bluestate wrote:
Oh shit, well apparently we do get a hi-res download from the Ten Club. Not sure why they didn't explain that to me when I sent them an angry email?

I sent them an angry Email and asked about digital, and the reply I got was 'No digital download with your purchase ' then last night an Email with the digital download

PostPosted: Sat April 20, 2024 12:35 am 
Future Drummer

Rangi Guy wrote:
bluestate wrote:
Oh shit, well apparently we do get a hi-res download from the Ten Club. Not sure why they didn't explain that to me when I sent them an angry email?

I sent them an angry Email and asked about digital, and the reply I got was 'No digital download with your purchase ' then last night an Email with the digital download

PostPosted: Sat April 20, 2024 12:46 am 
A Return To Form

MitchCumstein74 wrote:

Nice first post and I agree!

PostPosted: Sat April 20, 2024 12:47 am 
A Return To Form

Double post.

PostPosted: Sat April 20, 2024 12:56 am 
A Return To Form

I’m not one for hyperbole and I recognize the element of recency bias when it comes to opinions. However, I have a strong feeling that this album is something special. I loved Gigaton at first but it’s largely faded, aside from a couple songs. This album clicked right away but in a much different way. I really think this is an all time great album, beyond just the PJ catalog even. Dark Matter is transcendent, soaring, awe inspiring and beautiful in a way that few albums fully are. The emotions that this evokes are wide and far reaching, a true experience from end to end. Obvious classic rock and roll regurgitation and production issues aside, this could be an all time historically great album.

PostPosted: Sat April 20, 2024 1:00 am 
AnalLog

AllNiteThing wrote:
I’m not one for hyperbole and I recognize the element of recency bias when it comes to opinions. However, I have a strong feeling that this album is something special. I loved Gigaton at first but it’s largely faded, aside from a couple songs. This album clicked right away but in a much different way. I really think this is an all time great album, beyond just the PJ catalog even. Dark Matter is transcendent, soaring, awe inspiring and beautiful in a way that few albums fully are. The emotions that this evokes are wide and far reaching, a true experience from end to end. Obvious classic rock and roll regurgitation and production issues aside, this could be an all time historically great album.

I’m not one for hyperbole either and try to temper my Pear Jam opinions, especially when comparing them with other artists, but I think you are exactly right.

What is weird to me over this day is how varied the listening experience can be based on what setting I place on my phone or if I play this through my car speakers. I appreciate the suggestions in this thread and will keep looking for guidance on the best way to experience this incredible record.

PostPosted: Sat April 20, 2024 1:06 am 
AnalLog

Rangi Guy wrote:
bluestate wrote:

Must be you have to email them to do that, and I don't feel like it's worth the effort. My CD was apparently transferred to my local post office late this morning, so it might show up tomorrow. I listened to the album a couple times on Spotify earlier today, and I'm gearing up to spin it again so I can write down some thoughts about it. So, Stip, you should hear from me pretty soon.

PostPosted: Sat April 20, 2024 1:07 am 
AnalLog

AllNiteThing wrote:

Thank you for getting across what I have been trying to convey for days. If this was released in 97 77 or 87 it would have sold 20 million copies

PostPosted: Sat April 20, 2024 1:09 am 
Broken Tamborine

AllNiteThing wrote:

I love the album and I understand where you’re coming from. I hope the album does well commercially but the industry has changed a lot since the good old days. I keep watching the Wreckage visualizer numbers on YouTube. I think a real music video would help the numbers.

Personally, as far as where this ranks in the bands discography, if I had to vote right now it would be ahead of everything post Yield.

The real question for me however is, do I consider it PJ’s 6th truly great album or just better than the rest.

I’m currently encouraged but time will tell.

PostPosted: Sat April 20, 2024 1:11 am 
Broken Tamborine

Tj wrote:
AllNiteThing wrote:

Thank you for getting across what I have been trying to convey for days. If this was released in 97 77 or 87 it would have sold 20 million copies

I agree this album would kill before the industry changed and people were buying records.

PostPosted: Sat April 20, 2024 1:20 am 
AnalLog

It is no doubt a all timer for me. I was confused why I cared they putting out new music. Gig was a crash and burn for me as was lightning bolt. Both had a few songs I enjoyed. Gig had Dance which is outstanding but not much else the singles were good, but I did not expect this I need 1 top 30 song I was fine with that . Then this happens. I'm guessing 47 months till 13

PostPosted: Sat April 20, 2024 1:23 am 
A Return To Form

Arthur Morgan wrote:
AllNiteThing wrote:

I love the album and I understand where you’re coming from. I hope the album does well commercially but the industry has changed a lot since the good old days. I keep watching the Wreckage visualizer numbers on YouTube. I think a real music video would help the numbers.

Personally, as far as where this ranks in the bands discography, if I had to vote right now it would be ahead of everything post Yield.

The real question for me however is, do I consider it PJ’s 6th truly great album or just better than the rest.

I’m currently encouraged but time will tell.

Agreed! I’m a huge fan of Riot Act though, so I may slot this behind everything up to Yield + RA. I like Binaural but RA is ahead of that for me. DM is an absolute beast of a record.

PostPosted: Sat April 20, 2024 1:26 am 
A Return To Form

Tj wrote:
It is no doubt a all timer for me. I was confused why I cared they putting out new music. Gig was a crash and burn for me as was lightning bolt. Both had a few songs I enjoyed. Gig had Dance which is outstanding but not much else the singles were good, but I did not expect this I need 1 top 30 song I was fine with that . Then this happens. I'm guessing 47 months till 13

4 years until the next album? I’d bet sooner than that, given Stone’s comments and their obvious recent inspiration and reinvigoration.

PostPosted: Sat April 20, 2024 1:28 am 
Rank This Poster

I think its a p good n solid album but I'm not buying into the whole "best thing since yield" hype

Actually I'm not sure the best song, whatever that may be (wreckage, upper hand, Stevie, ?), would be a top 3 song on gigaton (CTG, dance, quick escape)

PostPosted: Sat April 20, 2024 1:30 am 
A Return To Form

One more thought to get out tonight….this does NOT sound like an album that a band releases AFTER they’ve been inducted into the Rock and Roll hall of fame. They have no business releasing something so grand so late in their career.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 14017 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 587, 588, 589, 590, 591, 592, 593 ... 701  Next

Board index » Watched from the Window ... » Pearl Jam