The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Watched from the Window ... » Pearl Jam

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 13803 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 471, 472, 473, 474, 475, 476, 477 ... 691  Next

Rank Dark Matter
5 Stars 60%  60%  [ 109 ]
4 Stars 29%  29%  [ 53 ]
3 Stars 8%  8%  [ 14 ]
2 Stars 1%  1%  [ 1 ]
2 Star 1%  1%  [ 1 ]
%#*! Andrew Watt 2%  2%  [ 3 ]
Total votes : 181
 Post subject: Re: Dark Matter: Official Album Thread
PostPosted: Wed April 17, 2024 1:49 pm 
Troglodyte
 WWW  Profile

DeeDee wrote:
Arthur Morgan wrote:
Ms Harmless wrote:
B wrote:
Does anybody have any idea of what Jeff did on this album? Did he do anything other than the intro for the movie theater?

he wrote parts for at least one song (one was based on a dream he had, can't remember which)

Won’t tell

And React/respond. And I'd bet he had a lot of weight writing Upper hand. And the bass in WFS is amazing. And so on...

Dude, it is TOO SOON to be using acronyms for song titles. I had to go look that up.

I think the bass in theaters was pretty shitty, which is odd. And before anyone says it, I DID move to the middle of the theater.

PostPosted: Wed April 17, 2024 1:56 pm 
AnalLog

Ms Harmless wrote:
I think for the first time in a while it feels like maybe they didn't give their first and best ideas away to side projects because "Ed wasn't feeling them"; if they had an idea, Watt got them to work on it

Really fantastic point!

It's their creative process, I get it, but, I've often wondered how many potentially amazing songs were left unformed and unfulfilled.

We still make records to be listened to — not that everyone will listen to a record track one to twelve in a row or side A or Side B — but we still make 'em in case somebody does want to listen to it like that, that's how we make em…

Last edited by oneway23 on Wed April 17, 2024 1:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Wed April 17, 2024 1:57 pm 
Guys, I am not a moderator! I swear to God! Why does everyone think I'm a moderator?

B wrote:
DeeDee wrote:
Arthur Morgan wrote:
Ms Harmless wrote:
B wrote:
Does anybody have any idea of what Jeff did on this album? Did he do anything other than the intro for the movie theater?

he wrote parts for at least one song (one was based on a dream he had, can't remember which)

Won’t tell

And React/respond. And I'd bet he had a lot of weight writing Upper hand. And the bass in WFS is amazing. And so on...

Dude, it is TOO SOON to be using acronyms for song titles. I had to go look that up.

I think the bass in theaters was pretty shitty, which is odd. And before anyone says it, I DID move to the middle of the theater.

For B:

SoF
R/R
Wreckage
DM
WT
UH
WfS
Running
SS
GtG
SS

PostPosted: Wed April 17, 2024 1:58 pm 
likes rhythmic things that butt up against each other

E.H. Ruddock wrote:
SoF
R/R
Wreckage
DM
WT
UH
WfS
Running
SS
GtG
SS

"You said rape twice."
"I like rape."

PostPosted: Wed April 17, 2024 1:59 pm 
The worst

we have two SS acronyms. This is going to be a serious problem we need to get out in front of!

I Am No Guide - Pearl Jam Song by Song - Coming this July!
He/Him/His

PostPosted: Wed April 17, 2024 1:59 pm 
Guys, I am not a moderator! I swear to God! Why does everyone think I'm a moderator?

stip wrote:
we have two SS acronyms. This is going to be a serious problem we need to get out in front of!

Let's just leave as is to confuse B!

PostPosted: Wed April 17, 2024 2:00 pm 
Future Drummer
 WWW  Profile

"Any time the English like you, you're just totally excited. I don't know why I just need their praise but it's fun when you get it."

ha, that's my fav part of the Stone interview

PostPosted: Wed April 17, 2024 2:01 pm 
Troglodyte
 WWW  Profile

:gomez:

PostPosted: Wed April 17, 2024 2:01 pm 
Troglodyte
 WWW  Profile

stip wrote:

Secret Nazi messages?

PostPosted: Wed April 17, 2024 2:02 pm 
The worst

this album will play well in Brazil

He/Him/His

PostPosted: Wed April 17, 2024 2:03 pm 
Future Drummer
 WWW  Profile

stip wrote:

Suggestion: We pretend that Something Special never existed and never again talk about it. From here on out, SS only refers to Setting Sun.

PostPosted: Wed April 17, 2024 2:04 pm 

I'm going to barf out some initial thoughts of the album from the theater experience as very rough notes and first time seeing the lyrics, so bear with me. Thankfully, the sound quality in the theater was excellent. Surround sound dolby atmos was interesting to say the least. Real separation between left and right channels, but for me, left was way faded compared to right, and Eddie's vocals were sitting on top of everything for some reason. The difference was noticeable on Dark Matter and Running because I had something to compare to previously.

I said previously that this might be the album that I personally need now, in 2024, while Gigaton was the album I needed in 2020. That was based on the assumption that this album would represent the bright new future that Gigaton was hoping for and reminding us to look forward to. I'm not so sure of that anymore. Gigaton and Dark Matter share many of the same themes (sticking together through rough times, and coming back to ourselves and our inner strength and resolve, holding on for a better future), they have wildly different energies with different circumstances. Gigaton's music is quieter, more somber and reflective, but it is a more hopeful and positive album. Dark Matter's music is brighter, louder, more upbeat, but it is desperate and less positive or hopeful about the future. It is a desperate plea to not let go of what we have, fearing that the end is near, whatever that end might be (life/death, the band, personal relationships? All the above? ...). Themes of things ending are prevalent on Dark Matter, and while it tries to maintain a positive and hopeful outlook at what new beginnings may come after such endings, it's focused on the imminent threat of the ending itself, whereas Gigaton was more focused on the hopeful future. This is a "heavy" album in the sense that the subject matter is dark and heavy.

We've mentioned before how Eddie's lyrics are best when he draws from the personal to describe the universal. Some of the things Eddie sings about feel extremely personal that you can't help but wonder if he's talking about his marriage or some personal relationships. If I'm not mistaken, I think on one song he says something it could be just him and "just the two of you" which seemed like a very direct message to his daughters (this was not on Something Special). But he does extrapolate from these seemingly very specific lyrics to broader themes. There is very little here that indicates political messaging (Dark Matter is probably the most 'political' of these), but that future he's both hopeful and worried about could be our collective future just as much as it could be his personal future. The hopefulness on this album comes from the moments where Eddie centers love as the north star to guide our actions and direction when fear would have us react in detrimental ways. In this way it is similar to Gigaton, but it is more foreboding.

The lyrics generally didn't feel as polished, poetic, or pretty as Gigaton. There are definitely clunky lyrical moments. Gigaton is rife with lovely metaphors; this is more on the nose.

Yield and Backspacer had a baby: I see what folks are saying, to some extent. This is the pop Pearl Jam album Eddie has always wanted to make. It has so much of Eddie's sensibilities but tapped into the 'original' PJ of way back. It has some bright, soaring moments like Yield, but while Yield is very riff centric, this is a very chord driven album. I was actually surprised at the lack of pure riffage (not talking about Mike's shredding). Yield has a LOT more space between notes, where some instruments take focus over others at different times. Dark Matter sounds like all the instruments are yelling for attention. I'm not saying it does not have layers like Yield, it does, it just not only sounds different but also is put together and composed differently. Overall, this is the best example yet of all the things that Pearl Jam was, is, and has become. It's an evolution of the band's sound without losing its foundation. When people change over time, they may take on new views of the world and ways of being, but deep down they are still very much the people they originally became in their formative years. This is that.

Relentless is another way I would describe this album. It's loud, it's message is desperate, and it does not relent at trying to get you to heed its message, and the desperation is because whoever this is directed at don't seem to be listening, or don't see the same edge of the cliff coming up fast that Eddie sees.

As of now, I absolutely love this album. It's so powerful and has some stunningly beautiful moments, but some things leave me feeling unsettled. I am jut so happy for this band to have tapped into something great this late into their careers, and maybe my love for it is biased by being surprised by what they have been able to achieve in 2024. I wonder if in time it will hold up as much as other classics like Yield (my personal favorite) because the thing I love most about Yield is what is missing here. In fairness, this needs several more proper listens with good headphones. The other thing missing is spaciousness. PJ have not incorporated spaciousness in their songs in forever. Even Gigaton, which we praised for letting songs breathe more, at times felt like its spaciousness was forced in there between songs by Josh Evans, whereas songs on Yield just feel more spacious, even the fast and hard ones.

The first listen in the dark was preferable to the visuals. We joked that they looked like windows 2000 screensavers. Closing my eyes and just listening to it was the way to go.

--------------------------------------------------------

Scared of Fear:
- Love the verse "riff" (again more chord forward). The bridge is a delight too. Chorus did not grab me like it did others. Love the solo on this one too, particularly Mike's descending, step-down notes that mirror the descending chords, before it picks back up again.
- Lyrics are interesting. I need to see them again to fully grasp the theme of the album. It warns of a setting sun and fearing it.

React, Respond:
- what a delight! Everything everyone said about it is spot on. Love the plinky guitar build up to the chorus. Fun fact: I had a dream last night about this song where Jeff was playing a gigantic harp to make that plinky sound while a fly kept hovering at point blank range of my view such that I could see every hair and fiber on its body. Thanks brain!
- Love the way Mike's solo fades out then fades back in. I don't know if this was a dolby atmos/surround sound thing, but it felt like it was going away and coming back closer. So cool.
- Tying back to the album themes: Fear makes us react rather than respond. Don't be scared of fear. Center love for our actions

Wreckage:
- Holy fuck. Beautiful. Lovely harmonies. Would be a great next single.
- Some self flagellation in Eddie's words, once again damning his DNA and questioning if he's bound to make the same mistakes as his father. He's afraid of fucking things up, I think, in his marriage and family.

Won't Tell:
- What the fuck. I was not expecting this to hit me like this. It's beautiful. Earworm chorus. Also could be next single. Lovely riff/solo outro.
- Feels VERY personal. Who is he singing about here? I think this is the song where he says "just the two of you", but could be wrong.

Upper Hand:
- Confession: this did not grab me like it did others. It feels like... a lot. especially between Won't Tell and WFS. It also feels like PJ were under some edict to have to end every song with a major uplifting, double time, solo shred to make the song more appealing. That's not to say there aren't some really cool parts to this. I reserve the right to love this over time with more listens.

Waiting for Mother Fucking Stevie:
- I genuinely cannot recall another PJ line that moved me like "You can be loved and not feel love" like this one did in a long fucking time. Might be my favorite. Maybe.
- Interesting chorus then verse structure. Drum fills are stupid. I don't know how Matt does that. Incredible.
- One thing I didn't pick up on the main chorus (or is it a verse?) riff/chord is the neat little note bend that is done. it gives it more of a riff feel than just chord strum.
- "Dissolve the fear", "You can't take or give what you got", "You are what you're not"... this is connecting the whole album together but I'm not sure excatly how or what it's fully saying yet. Need the lyrics!!

Got to Give:
- Holy Americanna hell. Into The Wild meets Yield. OK verse. Beautiful chorus! Love how Eddie extends "believe" in the end; "beeeliee-e-e-e-e-ve". Wh knew this song would have the most screams.
- The riff/solo at the end was a lovely reprieve from the relentless Mike shredding throughout the album. It was hookier than other solos. Reminded me of the end of Lightning Bolt. While I love a good Mike shred, I wanted more of that throughout the album; solos with melodic hooks. The melodies on this album mostly come from the vocals, rarely do they come from the solos.

Setting Sun:
- Could climb up to be a fave eventually. That ending is incredible.
- Lyrics seem to be once again about the potential of losing a love, or love gone wrong, which feels very personal. But also, very much universal; this feels like a prayer for things not to end. I use the word prayer intentionally. I am not religious at all, but I noticed how the last few lyrics signal religious terminology (Kingdom Come). I am not saying Eddie is delivering a religious message at all, but I think he's playing with the idea of this being a prayer of sorts. It repeats the same line over and over, with a slight change of a word or two here and there, very much like a sermon would. There is something about wanting to live out our days forever, but the reality is that the end is much nearer than we realize. Fuck this makes me cry.

PostPosted: Wed April 17, 2024 2:04 pm 
The worst

Something Special has brought a smile to my face every time I've heard it :)

He/Him/His

PostPosted: Wed April 17, 2024 2:06 pm 

B wrote:
stip wrote:

Secret Nazi messages?

*posts the 10 club Nazi video*

PostPosted: Wed April 17, 2024 2:07 pm 
Troglodyte
 WWW  Profile

stip wrote:
Something Special has brought a smile to my face every time I've heard it :)

I rated this and Wreckage based on the 30 second clips. After hearing the album, I bumped this one down and Wreckage up.

I like the song. I don't mind a song to Ed's kids, but the lyrics feel uncreative and juvenile.

Lyrically, it makes me think of this.

PostPosted: Wed April 17, 2024 2:09 pm 
tl;dr

Great review, Fattie Vedder — thanks for taking the time to type it all out. Looking forward to Friday!

PostPosted: Wed April 17, 2024 2:12 pm 

Kevin Davis wrote:
Great review, Fattie Vedder — thanks for taking the time to type it all out. Looking forward to Friday!

Thanks KD!!

PostPosted: Wed April 17, 2024 2:15 pm 
Future Drummer

I could be wrong but I think the two of you line was on upper hand ? Those lyrics were really strange imo. Though you could be right on which song too. Setting sun also had lines about trying to make a cast and repair broken love but it’s not possible.

PostPosted: Wed April 17, 2024 2:18 pm 
The worst

Fattie_Vedder wrote:
I'm going to barf out some initial thoughts of the album from the theater experience as very rough notes and first time seeing the lyrics, so bear with me. Thankfully, the sound quality in the theater was excellent. Surround sound dolby atmos was interesting to say the least. Real separation between left and right channels, but for me, left was way faded compared to right, and Eddie's vocals were sitting on top of everything for some reason. The difference was noticeable on Dark Matter and Running because I had something to compare to previously.

I said previously that this might be the album that I personally need now, in 2024, while Gigaton was the album I needed in 2020. That was based on the assumption that this album would represent the bright new future that Gigaton was hoping for and reminding us to look forward to. I'm not so sure of that anymore. Gigaton and Dark Matter share many of the same themes (sticking together through rough times, and coming back to ourselves and our inner strength and resolve, holding on for a better future), they have wildly different energies with different circumstances. Gigaton's music is quieter, more somber and reflective, but it is a more hopeful and positive album. Dark Matter's music is brighter, louder, more upbeat, but it is desperate and less positive or hopeful about the future. It is a desperate plea to not let go of what we have, fearing that the end is near, whatever that end might be (life/death, the band, personal relationships? All the above? ...). Themes of things ending are prevalent on Dark Matter, and while it tries to maintain a positive and hopeful outlook at what new beginnings may come after such endings, it's focused on the imminent threat of the ending itself, whereas Gigaton was more focused on the hopeful future. This is a "heavy" album in the sense that the subject matter is dark and heavy.

We've mentioned before how Eddie's lyrics are best when he draws from the personal to describe the universal. Some of the things Eddie sings about feel extremely personal that you can't help but wonder if he's talking about his marriage or some personal relationships. If I'm not mistaken, I think on one song he says something it could be just him and "just the two of you" which seemed like a very direct message to his daughters (this was not on Something Special). But he does extrapolate from these seemingly very specific lyrics to broader themes. There is very little here that indicates political messaging (Dark Matter is probably the most 'political' of these), but that future he's both hopeful and worried about could be our collective future just as much as it could be his personal future. The hopefulness on this album comes from the moments where Eddie centers love as the north star to guide our actions and direction when fear would have us react in detrimental ways. In this way it is similar to Gigaton, but it is more foreboding.

The lyrics generally didn't feel as polished, poetic, or pretty as Gigaton. There are definitely clunky lyrical moments. Gigaton is rife with lovely metaphors; this is more on the nose.

Yield and Backspacer had a baby: I see what folks are saying, to some extent. This is the pop Pearl Jam album Eddie has always wanted to make. It has so much of Eddie's sensibilities but tapped into the 'original' PJ of way back. It has some bright, soaring moments like Yield, but while Yield is very riff centric, this is a very chord driven album. I was actually surprised at the lack of pure riffage (not talking about Mike's shredding). Yield has a LOT more space between notes, where some instruments take focus over others at different times. Dark Matter sounds like all the instruments are yelling for attention. I'm not saying it does not have layers like Yield, it does, it just not only sounds different but also is put together and composed differently. Overall, this is the best example yet of all the things that Pearl Jam was, is, and has become. It's an evolution of the band's sound without losing its foundation. When people change over time, they may take on new views of the world and ways of being, but deep down they are still very much the people they originally became in their formative years. This is that.

Relentless is another way I would describe this album. It's loud, it's message is desperate, and it does not relent at trying to get you to heed its message, and the desperation is because whoever this is directed at don't seem to be listening, or don't see the same edge of the cliff coming up fast that Eddie sees.

As of now, I absolutely love this album. It's so powerful and has some stunningly beautiful moments, but some things leave me feeling unsettled. I am jut so happy for this band to have tapped into something great this late into their careers, and maybe my love for it is biased by being surprised by what they have been able to achieve in 2024. I wonder if in time it will hold up as much as other classics like Yield (my personal favorite) because the thing I love most about Yield is what is missing here. In fairness, this needs several more proper listens with good headphones. The other thing missing is spaciousness. PJ have not incorporated spaciousness in their songs in forever. Even Gigaton, which we praised for letting songs breathe more, at times felt like its spaciousness was forced in there between songs by Josh Evans, whereas songs on Yield just feel more spacious, even the fast and hard ones.

The first listen in the dark was preferable to the visuals. We joked that they looked like windows 2000 screensavers. Closing my eyes and just listening to it was the way to go.

--------------------------------------------------------

Scared of Fear:
- Love the verse "riff" (again more chord forward). The bridge is a delight too. Chorus did not grab me like it did others. Love the solo on this one too, particularly Mike's descending, step-down notes that mirror the descending chords, before it picks back up again.
- Lyrics are interesting. I need to see them again to fully grasp the theme of the album. It warns of a setting sun and fearing it.

React, Respond:
- what a delight! Everything everyone said about it is spot on. Love the plinky guitar build up to the chorus. Fun fact: I had a dream last night about this song where Jeff was playing a gigantic harp to make that plinky sound while a fly kept hovering at point blank range of my view such that I could see every hair and fiber on its body. Thanks brain!
- Love the way Mike's solo fades out then fades back in. I don't know if this was a dolby atmos/surround sound thing, but it felt like it was going away and coming back closer. So cool.
- Tying back to the album themes: Fear makes us react rather than respond. Don't be scared of fear. Center love for our actions

Wreckage:
- Holy fuck. Beautiful. Lovely harmonies. Would be a great next single.
- Some self flagellation in Eddie's words, once again damning his DNA and questioning if he's bound to make the same mistakes as his father. He's afraid of fucking things up, I think, in his marriage and family.

Won't Tell:
- What the fuck. I was not expecting this to hit me like this. It's beautiful. Earworm chorus. Also could be next single. Lovely riff/solo outro.
- Feels VERY personal. Who is he singing about here? I think this is the song where he says "just the two of you", but could be wrong.

Upper Hand:
- Confession: this did not grab me like it did others. It feels like... a lot. especially between Won't Tell and WFS. It also feels like PJ were under some edict to have to end every song with a major uplifting, double time, solo shred to make the song more appealing. That's not to say there aren't some really cool parts to this. I reserve the right to love this over time with more listens.

Waiting for Mother Fucking Stevie:
- I genuinely cannot recall another PJ line that moved me like "You can be loved and not feel love" like this one did in a long fucking time. Might be my favorite. Maybe.
- Interesting chorus then verse structure. Drum fills are stupid. I don't know how Matt does that. Incredible.
- One thing I didn't pick up on the main chorus (or is it a verse?) riff/chord is the neat little note bend that is done. it gives it more of a riff feel than just chord strum.
- "Dissolve the fear", "You can't take or give what you got", "You are what you're not"... this is connecting the whole album together but I'm not sure excatly how or what it's fully saying yet. Need the lyrics!!

Got to Give:
- Holy Americanna hell. Into The Wild meets Yield. OK verse. Beautiful chorus! Love how Eddie extends "believe" in the end; "beeeliee-e-e-e-e-ve". Wh knew this song would have the most screams.
- The riff/solo at the end was a lovely reprieve from the relentless Mike shredding throughout the album. It was hookier than other solos. Reminded me of the end of Lightning Bolt. While I love a good Mike shred, I wanted more of that throughout the album; solos with melodic hooks. The melodies on this album mostly come from the vocals, rarely do they come from the solos.

Setting Sun:
- Could climb up to be a fave eventually. That ending is incredible.
- Lyrics seem to be once again about the potential of losing a love, or love gone wrong, which feels very personal. But also, very much universal; this feels like a prayer for things not to end. I use the word prayer intentionally. I am not religious at all, but I noticed how the last few lyrics signal religious terminology (Kingdom Come). I am not saying Eddie is delivering a religious message at all, but I think he's playing with the idea of this being a prayer of sorts. It repeats the same line over and over, with a slight change of a word or two here and there, very much like a sermon would. There is something about wanting to live out our days forever, but the reality is that the end is much nearer than we realize. Fuck this makes me cry.

great post - thank you so much!

He/Him/His

PostPosted: Wed April 17, 2024 2:19 pm 
The Beef

bluestate wrote:
stip wrote:

Suggestion: We pretend that Something Special never existed and never again talk about it. From here on out, SS only refers to Setting Sun.

SS and Spesh

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 13803 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 471, 472, 473, 474, 475, 476, 477 ... 691  Next

Board index » Watched from the Window ... » Pearl Jam