The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Watched from the Window ... » Pearl Jam

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 14150 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 660, 661, 662, 663, 664, 665, 666 ... 708  Next

Rank Dark Matter
5 Stars 61%  61%  [ 113 ]
4 Stars 29%  29%  [ 53 ]
3 Stars 8%  8%  [ 14 ]
2 Stars 1%  1%  [ 1 ]
2 Star 1%  1%  [ 1 ]
%#*! Andrew Watt 2%  2%  [ 3 ]
Total votes : 185
 Post subject: Re: Dark Matter: Official Album Thread
PostPosted: Wed April 24, 2024 8:50 am 
The worst

Fattie_Vedder wrote:
stip wrote:
Ten: 92% - 60 votes
Vs: 95% - 106 votes
Vitalogy: 100% - 36 votes
No Code: 92% -125 votes
Yield: 99% - 115 votes
Binaural: 86% - 163 votes
Riot Act: 77% - 140 votes
S/T: 63% - 11 votes (make your voices heard)
Backspacer: 23% - 156 votes
Lightning Bolt: 8% - 52 votes
Gigaton: 81% - 262 votes
Dark Matter: 90% - 164 votes

this threads are all linked in the index post at the top of the forum. vote - we need accurate data!

What does the % represent? Percent of songs that received at least 4 stars? If so, I’d love to know how Vitalogy gets a 100% when it has mediocre songs like Satans Bed and Whipping on it, plus thematic ‘songs’ like Bugs, Pry To, That’s Me.

percentage of folks giving the overall album 4 or 5 stars

I Am No Guide - Pearl Jam Song by Song - Coming this July!
He/Him/His

PostPosted: Wed April 24, 2024 9:26 am 
what on earth am I talking about

Neil means he wants to record with them again. As in make a record.

PostPosted: Wed April 24, 2024 9:39 am 
Broken Tamborine

dimejinky99 wrote:

Where is that mentioned? That would be great but I can't imagine Neil being a huge fan of Matt's drumming. He was HUGE fan of Jack during the Mirrorball sessions.

PostPosted: Wed April 24, 2024 10:18 am 
Future Drummer

Happy belated birthday, Davey!

We still make records to be listened to — not that everyone will listen to a record track one to twelve in a row or side A or Side B — but we still make 'em in case somebody does want to listen to it like that, that's how we make em…

PostPosted: Wed April 24, 2024 10:29 am 
She / Her

"I welcome ripping my thing open" - Jeff Ament, Broken Record podcast

PostPosted: Wed April 24, 2024 10:47 am 
A Return To Form

igotworms wrote:
dimejinky99 wrote:

Where is that mentioned? That would be great but I can't imagine Neil being a huge fan of Matt's drumming. He was HUGE fan of Jack during the Mirrorball sessions.

First off, he clearly works off energy of his collaborations. Exhibit A: his entire discography.

How do you know he wouldn’t be a fan of Matt’s style?

Mirrorball is one of my favorite records to play drums (and guitar for that matter) to because it is just so goddamn simple and fun. This wasn’t about showing off chops… Neil wanted the feeling of writing and recording spontaneously. Have Watt produce it and you’ll get that.

PostPosted: Wed April 24, 2024 10:54 am 
Future Drummer

Hopefully they do some spontaneous recording during Ohana weekend

We still make records to be listened to — not that everyone will listen to a record track one to twelve in a row or side A or Side B — but we still make 'em in case somebody does want to listen to it like that, that's how we make em…

PostPosted: Wed April 24, 2024 11:11 am 
Yeah Yeah Yeah

RockPusher wrote:
guitar_davey wrote:
It's late on my birthday night. My 13-year old stopped by the fucking record store on the way home and picked this up for me, completely unprompted...

Anyway, it's way too late for me to be awake, but I just smoked a J and I'm cranking this LP through my headphones and in love.

Cannot wait for my vinyl to arrive. Happy fuckin birthday, man!

I have the Boston variant and a black version and they definitely sound better then Apple Music, more separation and less compression, Tidal hi res sounds the best for streaming, cd is superior

PostPosted: Wed April 24, 2024 12:14 pm 
Broken Tamborine

Aunt_Claire_Foy wrote:
igotworms wrote:
dimejinky99 wrote:

First off, he clearly works off energy of his collaborations. Exhibit A: his entire discography.

Mirrorball is one of my favorite records to play drums (and guitar for that matter) to because it is just so goddamn simple and fun. This wasn’t about showing off chops… Neil wanted the feeling of writing and recording spontaneously. Have Watt produce it and you’ll get that.

If you look at all the drummers Neil's gelled with over the years - from Ralph Molina to Johnny Barbata to Anthony LoGerfo - they're all of a type. Matt's tight drumming style just doesnt fit that mould. As you say, Neil's music tends to be loose and unfussy. I just wouldn't see the 2 gel, but happy to be proven wrong. If there's one thing Neil's career has taught us is that he likes to zig when we expect him to zag.

PostPosted: Wed April 24, 2024 12:27 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

Lmdmusic wrote:
RockPusher wrote:
guitar_davey wrote:
It's late on my birthday night. My 13-year old stopped by the fucking record store on the way home and picked this up for me, completely unprompted...

Anyway, it's way too late for me to be awake, but I just smoked a J and I'm cranking this LP through my headphones and in love.

Cannot wait for my vinyl to arrive. Happy fuckin birthday, man!

I have the Boston variant and a black version and they definitely sound better then Apple Music, more separation and less compression, Tidal hi res sounds the best for streaming, cd is superior

I've been thinking about picking this up as the Spotify version is bothering me in terms of hearing Ed clearly.

PostPosted: Wed April 24, 2024 12:30 pm 
10Club Complaint Department

Atmos aside, it’s all the same mix.

If you make sure Spotify is on the highest quality setting, it’s not going to sound dramatically different to the CD.

PostPosted: Wed April 24, 2024 12:39 pm 
Future Drummer

95% of all vinyl releases nowadays are cut from the same digital file anyway..They might sum the bass to mono to avoid further distortion and save wasted frequency space in the mix, but, that's about it.

PostPosted: Wed April 24, 2024 12:42 pm 
likes rhythmic things that butt up against each other

Birds in Hell wrote:

If you make sure Spotify is on the highest quality setting, it’s not going to sound dramatically different to the CD.

Exactly. Then just tweak the EQ settings to your liking, but it's definitely not going to make Ed sound louder.

Atmos is the only significantly different format. You're really splitting hairs everywhere else.

PostPosted: Wed April 24, 2024 12:54 pm 
Broken Tamborine

Kevin Davis wrote:
Walker Bait wrote:
Today marks 5 years since losing my mom. I remember Avocado came out right when my dad passed, the mailman handed me my copy as the ambulance took my dad away... The band always seems to be there just at the right times... I just balled all the way through Dark Matter... My mom would have loved this album so much. Thanks for letting me vent for a moment.

I lost my dad last month, WB, so I am feeling you on this -- not sure he would have really cared about DM, but it's hard to not hear any new music through this lens.

Sorry for your loss, man.

It's OOOOKay!! Sometimes you'll find yourself...having to put allll yoooour faith, in noooooo faa-a-aith!! Mine is mine and yours won't take its place, now make your getaway-HEY!

PostPosted: Wed April 24, 2024 12:58 pm 
Broken Tamborine

liebzz wrote:
Kevin Davis wrote:
Walker Bait wrote:
Today marks 5 years since losing my mom. I remember Avocado came out right when my dad passed, the mailman handed me my copy as the ambulance took my dad away... The band always seems to be there just at the right times... I just balled all the way through Dark Matter... My mom would have loved this album so much. Thanks for letting me vent for a moment.

I lost my dad last month, WB, so I am feeling you on this -- not sure he would have really cared about DM, but it's hard to not hear any new music through this lens.

Same as I lost my mother not two months ago. Hang in there.

Sorry for your loss. :heartbeat:

It's OOOOKay!! Sometimes you'll find yourself...having to put allll yoooour faith, in noooooo faa-a-aith!! Mine is mine and yours won't take its place, now make your getaway-HEY!

PostPosted: Wed April 24, 2024 1:06 pm 

Birds in Hell wrote:
wease wrote:
Farmer John wrote:
wease wrote:
Antelope wrote:
RockPusher wrote:
Just listened to the Broken Record interview. Jeff and Stone sound so at peace and happy with where things are and the new album. Really great to hear that.

They both sounded authentically excited for the present and future of the band.

Where can we find this?

Thank you, Friend Farmer

This interview is so great, I am very fond of these two gents!

This was a real treat. I especially loved the story of Stone first meeting Ed when he gave Stone the poem (what a sweet Ed thing to do), and hearing Stone talk about Ed’s leadership of the band (around 48:00). No doubt they’ve learned to adapt and adjust through the rougher times to make things work.

PostPosted: Wed April 24, 2024 1:06 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

Birds in Hell wrote:

I didn't even know that was a thing. I'll check it out, thanks!

PostPosted: Wed April 24, 2024 1:10 pm 
jeeeesus relax already

Jeff and Stone are such cool guys. So smart, funny, chill. I love all the green river and MLB talk, all the stuff with Neil and how they recorded Mirrorball, and all the talk about the new album too. Nice to know about Wont tell being a jeff ament song!

Super crazy these dudes have been playing together for so long! the fact that they came from two different places and they are so different is always refreshing really. It was fun to hear Jeff talking about Mark Arm introducing Stone and him thinking, ¨no this guy no¨ :haha:

What an amazing career.

Ill have a Jeff - Stone day today i guess - runs and puts Dry As A Bone-

PostPosted: Wed April 24, 2024 1:47 pm 

Sorry to repeat but what an album this is. Was looking at my vinyl (non 10C, don’t worry!) and noticed how there’s not a single song I’d want to skip whilst playing it.

This album has made me so happy :)

PostPosted: Wed April 24, 2024 1:48 pm 
The Master

igotworms wrote:
Aunt_Claire_Foy wrote:
igotworms wrote:
dimejinky99 wrote:

If you look at all the drummers Neil's gelled with over the years - from Ralph Molina to Johnny Barbata to Anthony LoGerfo - they're all of a type. Matt's tight drumming style just doesnt fit that mould. As you say, Neil's music tends to be loose and unfussy. I just wouldn't see the 2 gel, but happy to be proven wrong. If there's one thing Neil's career has taught us is that he likes to zig when we expect him to zag.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 14150 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 660, 661, 662, 663, 664, 665, 666 ... 708  Next

Board index » Watched from the Window ... » Pearl Jam