The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Watched from the Window ... » Pearl Jam

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 13998 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 581, 582, 583, 584, 585, 586, 587 ... 700  Next

Rank Dark Matter
5 Stars 61%  61%  [ 112 ]
4 Stars 28%  28%  [ 52 ]
3 Stars 8%  8%  [ 15 ]
2 Stars 1%  1%  [ 1 ]
2 Star 1%  1%  [ 1 ]
%#*! Andrew Watt 2%  2%  [ 3 ]
Total votes : 184
 Post subject: Re: Dark Matter: Official Album Thread
PostPosted: Fri April 19, 2024 5:40 pm 
The Master

tree_ wrote:
some of you might laugh at me, but it really did sound fantastic listening on DTS setting on my Samsung soundbar. I know it's not perfectly ideal but it's the next best thing for me without listening through headphones

That's because the songs are just that fucking good!

Is this the album with best Background and Vocal harmonies?

PostPosted: Fri April 19, 2024 5:41 pm 
She / Her

Buby wrote:
Even if there's plenty of overindulgence with all the soaring outros, and the mastering being loud, we have a winner.

nobody could ever deliver and make be believe in a soaring intro like Pearl Jam

PostPosted: Fri April 19, 2024 5:42 pm 
Posting (live)
 WWW  Profile

Strat wrote:
tree_ wrote:
some of you might laugh at me, but it really did sound fantastic listening on DTS setting on my Samsung soundbar. I know it's not perfectly ideal but it's the next best thing for me without listening through headphones

That's because the songs are just that fucking good!

I dunno, I just mess around with treble, bass, and subwoofer settings and can get it sounding about perfect. i don't care what anyone says, it sounds great; very warm and crisp and deep.. but yeah i do think the melodies are impressive

Last edited by tree_ on Fri April 19, 2024 5:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri April 19, 2024 5:42 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

To return your digital copies, just screenshot your trash emptying.

PostPosted: Fri April 19, 2024 5:49 pm 
Future Drummer
 WWW  Profile

Numbers up, come back... we're handing out free hugs today. You need one you filthy varmint.

PostPosted: Fri April 19, 2024 5:50 pm 
Future Drummer
 WWW  Profile

BTW, stay away from our album poll

PostPosted: Fri April 19, 2024 5:50 pm 
Misplaced My Sponge

I listened to the album this morning and over liked it. I went in thinking I'll like some songs and probably not like some. It's exactly this. For me, it's kind of like parts of Backspacer, Lightning Bolt, and Gigaton mixed together. I hear Unthought Known, Got Some, Infallible, SBWM, Sleeping By Myself, Gonna See My Friend, Comes & Goes, and more all here. In a way, Dark Matter reminds me some of my favorite parts of those three albums rolled into DM, but with more soar.

Overall I like this album, but I don't see it ever replacing anything from 1991 - 2006 for me. There are some things I just don't get with modern Ed and his singing style decisions. Like things all y'all discussed before about warbling and such, while cramming in lots of words. He's at his best on DM during the soaring parts. Using his voice as an instrument, rather than being a lead singer singing lots of verses. Also, as noted by many others, the mixing/mastering/production is too loud, too digitized, etc...Seems like that's just par for the course now. It's like the 80's key-tars and electric drums and digital voices got mixed with power 70's rock. That's a different thread though...

So yeah, I'm overall liking what the guys are doing here and happy a bunch of old farts can still make some rockin' tunes. Not sure about new era Ed's singing styles (I'm thinking BS to DM) and the mastering/production choices (with music in general).

6.5/10

PostPosted: Fri April 19, 2024 5:58 pm 
The worst

Homeboyd wrote:
stip wrote:
Okay here is a ranking an hour prior of my first proper album (I did not track down the better leak today)

1. Waiting for Stevie
2. Setting Sun
3. Scared of Fear
4. Dark Matter
5. React/Respond
6. Wreckage
7. Running
8. Got To Give
9. Something Special
10. Upper Hand
11. Wont Tell

I have not spent enough time with 8/10/11 yet (any of them really but especially those 3) so that placement is tenuous

This was my favorite ranking from last night...I need an update! If Upper Hand and Won't Tell are the two worst songs on this album the boys may well indeed be onto something :D

EVERYTHING improved, and I am going to refrain from re-ranking until I know the songs back and forth.

I Am No Guide - Pearl Jam Song by Song - Coming this July!
He/Him/His

PostPosted: Fri April 19, 2024 6:00 pm 
Future Drummer
 WWW  Profile

Strat wrote:

That's gotta be Klinghoffer right?

PostPosted: Fri April 19, 2024 6:03 pm 
The Master

bluestate wrote:
Strat wrote:

That's gotta be Klinghoffer right?

Eh, i think its all Ed for the most part. The gang vocals probably include all of them and smitty.

PostPosted: Fri April 19, 2024 6:04 pm 
She / Her

I saw someone on Facebook refer to the instrumental interlude as Be Humble and I like that

PostPosted: Fri April 19, 2024 6:05 pm 
Future Drummer
 WWW  Profile

darth_vedder wrote:
I listened to the album this morning and over liked it. I went in thinking I'll like some songs and probably not like some. It's exactly this. For me, it's kind of like parts of Backspacer, Lightning Bolt, and Gigaton mixed together. I hear Unthought Known, Got Some, Infallible, SBWM, Sleeping By Myself, Gonna See My Friend, Comes & Goes, and more all here. In a way, Dark Matter reminds me some of my favorite parts of those three albums rolled into DM, but with more soar.

Overall I like this album, but I don't see it ever replacing anything from 1991 - 2006 for me. There are some things I just don't get with modern Ed and his singing style decisions. Like things all y'all discussed before about warbling and such, while cramming in lots of words. He's at his best on DM during the soaring parts. Using his voice as an instrument, rather than being a lead singer singing lots of verses. Also, as noted by many others, the mixing/mastering/production is too loud, too digitized, etc...Seems like that's just par for the course now. It's like the 80's key-tars and electric drums and digital voices got mixed with power 70's rock. That's a different thread though...

So yeah, I'm overall liking what the guys are doing here and happy a bunch of old farts can still make some rockin' tunes. Not sure about new era Ed's singing styles (I'm thinking BS to DM) and the mastering/production choices (with music in general).

6.5/10

This is pretty close to my original feelings after the record store listen. I believe my handwritten notes are generally reflective of my initial lukewarm reception.

It has grown exponentially since then. From a 3 to a 5 star album.

PostPosted: Fri April 19, 2024 6:07 pm 
Future Drummer
 WWW  Profile

Ms Harmless wrote:
I saw someone on Facebook refer to the instrumental interlude as Be Humble and I like that

Be mighty
Be humble
Be mighty humble

PostPosted: Fri April 19, 2024 6:07 pm 
She / Her

bluestate wrote:
Ms Harmless wrote:

Be mighty
Be humble
Be mighty humble

that's my next tattoo sorted

PostPosted: Fri April 19, 2024 6:11 pm 
AnalLog

These songs are all growers. Yesterday was Scared of Fear and Setting Sun, today its Upper Hand and Got To Give that really clicked for me.

5 stars:
Scared of Fear
Wreckage
Won't Tell
Upper Hand
Waiting for Stevie
Setting Sun

4.5 stars:
React, Respond
Got To Give

4 stars:
Dark Matter

3.5 stars:
Running
Something Special

PostPosted: Fri April 19, 2024 6:12 pm 
A Return To Form

Ledbetterdays wrote:
For what it's worth my best listening experience so far has been Apple Music Dolby Atmos with AirPods Pro with the spatial audio turned on. I don't have a true Dolby Atmos setup but I did notice a lot of details in this and even felt the solo moving side to side and around the back in a couple songs and a very good balance on Ed's placement..

It's so interesting hearing how different everyone's listening experience has been. For me, the Apple Music Dolby Atmos (on AirPods Pros) has been the worst one. It sounds like all the instrument volume levels are all off with Eddies vocals being so far back in the mix. Last night I signed up for a "free" trial of Qobuz and that has been the best quality for me so far, everything sounds really balanced. I have not downloaded the Ten Club WAV/FLAC lossless yet.

PostPosted: Fri April 19, 2024 6:14 pm 
Broken Tamborine

I can honestly say that when you're drunk at 1:30am on a work night that Something Special is a top tier song. It drops down some in the light of day...

PostPosted: Fri April 19, 2024 6:16 pm 
The worst

McParadigm wrote:
I keep hitting reply to this thread, staring at the empty space for a while, and then leaving without typing a thing.

Truly at a loss for words.

I get home from work around 5:30. I plan to go for a long walk, listen to the album twice, and then start writing and hope I can figure out what to say. It still feels overwhelming

I Am No Guide - Pearl Jam Song by Song - Coming this July!
He/Him/His

PostPosted: Fri April 19, 2024 6:18 pm 
She / Her

I've done nothing but listen to this album since it came out; it feels like being back in college

PostPosted: Fri April 19, 2024 6:20 pm 
The Master

darth_vedder wrote:

6.5/10

I had similar critiques of Ed's current vocal abilities and choices initially. I have since started to focus on the melody and emotion in his delivery for subsequent listens and it has helped tremendously. His tone and ear for finding the space within the music is still top notch.

He's graded on such a ridiculous curve because we know what he was capable of at his apex.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 13998 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 581, 582, 583, 584, 585, 586, 587 ... 700  Next

Board index » Watched from the Window ... » Pearl Jam