The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Watched from the Window ... » Pearl Jam

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 13880 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 516, 517, 518, 519, 520, 521, 522 ... 694  Next

Rank Dark Matter
5 Stars 60%  60%  [ 110 ]
4 Stars 29%  29%  [ 53 ]
3 Stars 8%  8%  [ 14 ]
2 Stars 1%  1%  [ 1 ]
2 Star 1%  1%  [ 1 ]
%#*! Andrew Watt 2%  2%  [ 3 ]
Total votes : 182
 Post subject: Re: Dark Matter: Official Album Thread
PostPosted: Thu April 18, 2024 2:58 am 
likes rhythmic things that butt up against each other

Fattie_Vedder wrote:
Hot take: Scared of Fear and Dark Matter have the best solos on the album. They ride with the melody of the song better than the shreddy ones.

I absolutely love the SoF solo and have ever since it debuted on metal door sessions.

PostPosted: Thu April 18, 2024 2:58 am 
Yeah Yeah Yeah

I think this is a really solid effort after two listens through the leak.

I’m going to catch heat for this but I feel like this record could really use Never Destination right between Upper Hand and Waiting for Stevie. There’s a ton of similarly mid tempo songs throughout the album. While Running is a good up temp album track, I just think something along those lines would’ve given the listener a less monotonous mid tempo journey.

It’s a minor gripe.

PostPosted: Thu April 18, 2024 3:07 am 

DDWJMUVW wrote:
Fattie_Vedder wrote:
Hot take: Scared of Fear and Dark Matter have the best solos on the album. They ride with the melody of the song better than the shreddy ones.

I absolutely love the SoF solo and have ever since it debuted on metal door sessions.

Hech yeah. I remember you saying you like the step-down part when Matt is in sync with the chord progression. Love that part.

PostPosted: Thu April 18, 2024 3:17 am 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

I really enjoyed getting to do this with you guys again today

PostPosted: Thu April 18, 2024 3:21 am 
The Master

Finished the first listen. This is oppressively loud but God Almighty, what a collection of songs.

What a special alchemy these guys have.

PostPosted: Thu April 18, 2024 3:22 am 
10Club Complaint Department

tragabigzanda wrote:
benton netty wrote:
Pretty sure this leak is fucky. Compare the first 10 seconds of DM or Wreckage from the leak and the first 10 from the same songs on streaming and the leak is clearly redlining a lot. Is it from a stream capture?

Yeah we raised this question earlier. Interested to see what comes out on Friday

Holding out hope it's a modest improvement.

Yeah Yeah Yeah

What a day. This album leaks and its...pretty damn good. And Fontaines DC announce a new album.

Rank This Poster

McParadigm wrote:
I really enjoyed getting to do this with you guys again today

I had the same thought. It makes me really happy to see and be a part of this long-established community buzzing with joy. And also Trag.

PostPosted: Thu April 18, 2024 3:27 am 
AnalLog

Gigaton and Dark Matter are very different, but I think it's safe to say that both are miles ahead of BS and LB.

When my gf and I traveled the couple hours to get to the theater last night, we listened to Lightning Bolt and Gigaton front to back. She's an old Pearl Jam fan but doesn't know the newer stuff much at all. The idea was to see how the progression felt. She is 100% on the DM>Gig>LB wagon. I am there at the moment and expect to be in the future as well. Many people in the theater cried during Setting Sun. There were a lot of people, and it's safe to say the album was well-loved.

I love Gigaton, and truth be told, I loved LB when it came out (had just had my first kid and it hit), but there are such radical differences in these three albums. Gigaton shows how much the band can open things up from the stale sound they had with BO'B, and Dark Matter adds to that by putting them in a room for each song's creation and as Stone described it, destroying each song idea that was brought to the table to then rebuild it as a group.

I think they've found a process that can yield fruit again. Now I just hope this Serban Ghenea fella retires and Josh Evans's fingers are on the dials next time.

PostPosted: Thu April 18, 2024 3:37 am 
She / Her

Toots McSharty wrote:
What a day. This album leaks and its...pretty damn good. And Fontaines DC announce a new album.

ooh they did? great news

PostPosted: Thu April 18, 2024 3:38 am 
Rank This Poster
 WWW  Profile

scared of fear must be the closest thing to an overture this band have ever done. "secret's safe with me" (won't tell), the opening chords building on the ending of the album and the "setting sun" lyric. maybe i'll pick up some more the more i listen but it's very cool the opening track serves as both a bit of a teaser for what's to come as well as a great 12th track if you wanna just start the record over again.

PostPosted: Thu April 18, 2024 3:41 am 

Birds in Hell wrote:
tragabigzanda wrote:
benton netty wrote:
Pretty sure this leak is fucky. Compare the first 10 seconds of DM or Wreckage from the leak and the first 10 from the same songs on streaming and the leak is clearly redlining a lot. Is it from a stream capture?

Yeah we raised this question earlier. Interested to see what comes out on Friday

yeah I’m starting to think it’s ripped from a stream upon further inspection… lol if it’s not

PostPosted: Thu April 18, 2024 3:46 am 
Yeah Yeah Yeah

RockPusher wrote:
Gigaton and Dark Matter are very different, but I think it's safe to say that both are miles ahead of BS and LB.

When my gf and I traveled the couple hours to get to the theater last night, we listened to Lightning Bolt and Gigaton front to back. She's an old Pearl Jam fan but doesn't know the newer stuff much at all. The idea was to see how the progression felt. She is 100% on the DM>Gig>LB wagon. I am there at the moment and expect to be in the future as well. Many people in the theater cried during Setting Sun. There were a lot of people, and it's safe to say the album was well-loved.

I love Gigaton, and truth be told, I loved LB when it came out (had just had my first kid and it hit), but there are such radical differences in these three albums. Gigaton shows how much the band can open things up from the stale sound they had with BO'B, and Dark Matter adds to that by putting them in a room for each song's creation and as Stone described it, destroying each song idea that was brought to the table to then rebuild it as a group.

I think they've found a process that can yield fruit again. Now I just hope this Serban Ghenea fella retires and Josh Evans's fingers are on the dials next time.

I think this is a good take, but it’s your last sentence that will probably keep Gigaton ahead of this one for me. I’m holding out hope that the vinyl mastering will be an improvement over a great batch of songs that unfortunately are creating ear fatigue. I don’t think Josh Evans gets enough credit for the incredible job he did on Gigaton. It’s a sonic pleasure. Dynamic, spacious, atmospheric.

PostPosted: Thu April 18, 2024 3:52 am 
The Master

coptheriotact wrote:
Birds in Hell wrote:
tragabigzanda wrote:
benton netty wrote:

yeah I’m starting to think it’s ripped from a stream upon further inspection… lol if it’s not

I wouldn't hold your breath

PostPosted: Thu April 18, 2024 4:07 am 
Future Drummer

How do I go to sleep?

PostPosted: Thu April 18, 2024 4:10 am 
AnalLog

Jaeti wrote:
How do I go to sleep?

Last night, after the theater experience, it was very hard.

PostPosted: Thu April 18, 2024 4:33 am 
Rank This Poster

I can't wait for Stip's giant essay on this album.

PostPosted: Thu April 18, 2024 4:37 am 

Jaeti wrote:
How do I go to sleep?
Having heard the record, I think I can finally sleep very well.

PostPosted: Thu April 18, 2024 4:47 am 
AnalLog

mattyv1908 wrote:
I’m holding out hope that the vinyl mastering will be an improvement over a great batch of songs that unfortunately are creating ear fatigue. I don’t think Josh Evans gets enough credit for the incredible job he did on Gigaton. It’s a sonic pleasure. Dynamic, spacious, atmospheric.

I'm holding out the same hope.

PostPosted: Thu April 18, 2024 5:01 am 
AnalLog

RockPusher wrote:
Many people in the theater cried during Setting Sun. There were a lot of people, and it's safe to say the album was well-loved.

I ended up watching/listening it at a movie theater with my son.
He enjoyed it more than I had expected, (and this might be a cultural thing, but) the audience was clapping a bunch after each track.
We both agreed on not all the mid-tempo tracks needed the extended soaring outro, but only after I brought it up.
It was a surprise (to me at least) to see at least a couple of teenagers that had obviously dragged their parents to the theater instead of the other way around.
I’m still pretty shocked on how well this album turned out to be.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 13880 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 516, 517, 518, 519, 520, 521, 522 ... 694  Next

Board index » Watched from the Window ... » Pearl Jam