The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Watched from the Window ... » Pearl Jam

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 14115 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 671, 672, 673, 674, 675, 676, 677 ... 706  Next

Rank Dark Matter
5 Stars 61%  61%  [ 113 ]
4 Stars 28%  28%  [ 52 ]
3 Stars 8%  8%  [ 14 ]
2 Stars 1%  1%  [ 1 ]
2 Star 1%  1%  [ 1 ]
%#*! Andrew Watt 2%  2%  [ 3 ]
Total votes : 184
 Post subject: Re: Dark Matter: Official Album Thread
PostPosted: Thu April 25, 2024 8:14 pm 
Broken Tamborine

Give the guy a fuckin break!!
He's pushing 60 and it's 6am in the morning

99.9% of us couldn't hit the "Rise above" at 6am or any other part of the day.

I doubt Daughter was even rehearsed that much at that point.
To my ears Ed and the band sounded great on that version.

When you listen to the audio of it...he does in fact hit that "Rise Above" part...but just off mic
Who knows why he did that. Who cares?

As for the tour, some nights he'll hit it...other nights...he'll let the audience take it over
This isn't anything new, and he's been doing that on "Daughter" for years now.

PostPosted: Thu April 25, 2024 8:15 pm 
Production Police

Arthur Morgan wrote:

I have personally landed on that in his mind the studio recording will live longer than any live show they put out, so make it as good as he is capable of making it. And that hitting the note once or twice in the studio is not a problem, especially when the song is fresh.

Leatherhead wrote:
I have no interest in them writing songs that they can nail live. If they can do it in the studio, that's great. Live shows are great, but probably .0001% of the total music I listen to.

I don't think this is weird or anything. Different strokes.

PostPosted: Thu April 25, 2024 8:17 pm 
Broken Tamborine

tragabigzanda wrote:
Arthur Morgan wrote:

I have personally landed on that in his mind the studio recording will live longer than any live show they put out, so make it as good as he is capable of making it. And that hitting the note once or twice in the studio is not a problem, especially when the song is fresh.

Leatherhead wrote:
I have no interest in them writing songs that they can nail live. If they can do it in the studio, that's great. Live shows are great, but probably .0001% of the total music I listen to.

Sorry I don’t catch your drift

PostPosted: Thu April 25, 2024 8:20 pm 
Production Police

Arthur Morgan wrote:
tragabigzanda wrote:
Arthur Morgan wrote:

Leatherhead wrote:

? No drift, genuinely saying that preferring a great studio recording over the ability to hit the note live every night is a perfectly good view to take.

PostPosted: Thu April 25, 2024 8:24 pm 
Production Police

Aunt_Claire_Foy wrote:
tragabigzanda wrote:
Monkey_Driven wrote:
The mic thing doesn't bother me in live shows because of the crowd. It's weird in a studio setting. Just sing a different melody as others have mentioned.

I'll do you one better and say that I'm simply stymied as to why he wants to keep hitting notes in the studio that he can't hit on stage.

I totally get why he's still swinging for the fences on beloved classics, because that's how his audience knows the songs. But going forward, why wouldn't he just write things from the position of "Can I sing this multiple nights a week?"

I'll hold my judgement until I hear it in a live venue, in terms of whether or not he can hit the note. He pulled back (an attribute we can all chalk up to muscle memory) in a room wired for satellite radio broadcast, and you know that mic isn't wired to pick up everything otherwise the bleed would be tremendous. It's disingenuous of you to have a qualified, educated opinion all over this board about a record's mix or production choices and ignore the obvious deficit live musicians (and the audio professionals on hand) have to battle when it comes to live broadcast.

There are other issues here, Trag, like your inability to get even remotely excited about a band you purportedly love in their last few miles having the planet-sized cajones to play a largely untested new track for a massive audience with all the limitations live broadcast presents, while also delivering so masterfully on quality of sound and performance.

All of that is to say, my tolerance for your monopoly on the position of "guy who gets the nuances of professional audio" ends when I see your criticism breaching the tip of the horseshoe, just kissing the other end of that critical spectrum which also sadly permeates this thread: HE HAS A HAT DURRRR.

He's most likely singing on an SM58, like most live singers do. It's no more or less "wired" to pick up the ambient noise of the room than any other live dynamic vocal mic, and your logic here does not factor into the conversation.

I'm spending upwards of two hours per night remixing the audio into something tolerable precisely because I love this band

I could give a fuck what you think about me or my opinions. Have a fine day!

PostPosted: Thu April 25, 2024 8:27 pm 
10Club Complaint Department

hey guys, what's new?

PostPosted: Thu April 25, 2024 8:27 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

Oh yay - a week after release date my vinyl from 10Club has finally shipped!

PostPosted: Thu April 25, 2024 8:28 pm 
Production Police

dad wrote:
hey guys, what's new?

Eddie got a horseshoe hat or something?

PostPosted: Thu April 25, 2024 8:30 pm 
AnalLog
 WWW  Profile

This was probably already posted but Boom was in the room with the guys yesterday morning. You can see him at the 0:38 mark:

PostPosted: Thu April 25, 2024 8:31 pm 
jeeeesus relax already

guys, please dont engage with Trag, havent you all learned something? jesus christ. Think about that poor family!!

Shame on you rm, shame on you.

PostPosted: Thu April 25, 2024 8:33 pm 
AnalLog

I also heard him hit the note in the background in the flac audio recording someone posted earlier. He may not have been sure he'd hit it and that could be why he pulled away from the mic, but in the past, I have seen him pull away from the mic when he screams too. At any rate, I am in the camp that wants him to do the very best he can in studio, even if some notes would be very difficult to replicate live. Live performances aren't really the primary reason for my PJ fandom, especially at this stage.

I am sure Ed can still hit some really difficult notes in studio when he has multiple takes.

By the way, Dissident has a high note at the end when he sings "escape is never the sa-fest place" that Ed hardly ever hit live. The one time I definitely recall him even attempting it was a show from 2003. Otherwise, he usually just speak-sings that line and has been doing so since 1993.

Does it mean he shouldn't have recorded Dissident with the high note (it's a clean, awesome D5)? The answer is no, for me.

PostPosted: Thu April 25, 2024 8:33 pm 
Broken Tamborine

tragabigzanda wrote:
Arthur Morgan wrote:
tragabigzanda wrote:
Arthur Morgan wrote:

Leatherhead wrote:

? No drift, genuinely saying that preferring a great studio recording over the ability to hit the note live every night is a perfectly good view to take.

:-). I don’t have a problem if someone has that take. But thats not what I’m saying at all. 99% of the PJ I listen to is bootlegs. I would prefer that Ed could hit every not he recorded, and would make conscious decisions to only record notes that he can hit consistently. It would make for a more enjoyable bootleg listening experience. (I’m talking about newly recorded songs. I don’t expect Ed to sing Leash at 60 like he did when he was in his late 20’s)

But I am trying to understand Ed’s pov. Maybe he wants the songs to soar/rock whatever. I love Riot Act and Binuaral but I believe on most of those songs he did exactly what you are asking him to do. Yet one of my main criticisms of those albums, if I have any, is that he does sound like he is holding back.

So I see both sides.

Last edited by Arthur Morgan on Thu April 25, 2024 8:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu April 25, 2024 8:37 pm 
Broken Tamborine

Release_Me wrote:
I also heard him hit the note in the background in the flac audio recording someone posted earlier. He may not have been sure he'd hit it and that could be why he pulled away from the mic, but in the past, I have seen him pull away from the mic when he screams too. At any rate, I am in the camp that wants him to do the very best he can in studio, even if some notes would be very difficult to replicate live. Live performances aren't really the primary reason for my PJ fandom, especially at this stage.

I am sure Ed can still hit some really difficult notes in studio when he has multiple takes.

By the way, Dissident has a high note at the end when he sings "escape is never the sa-fest place" that Ed hardly ever hit live. The one time I definitely recall him even attempting it was a show from 2003. Otherwise, he usually just speak-sings that line and has been doing so since 1993.

Does it mean he shouldn't have recorded Dissident with the high note (it's a clean, awesome D5)? The answer is no, for me.

Good post

PostPosted: Thu April 25, 2024 8:42 pm 
AnalLog

Just listened to the Jeff/Stone pod. Stone sounds almost giddy about where the band is right now.

PostPosted: Thu April 25, 2024 8:46 pm 
Guys, I am not a moderator! I swear to God! Why does everyone think I'm a moderator?

Ensign9 wrote:
This was probably already posted but Boom was in the room with the guys yesterday morning. You can see him at the 0:38 mark:

He played on YL

PostPosted: Thu April 25, 2024 8:46 pm 
jeeeesus relax already

scrub12 wrote:
Just listened to the Jeff/Stone pod. Stone sounds almost giddy about where the band is right now.

yeah, he is really happy

PostPosted: Thu April 25, 2024 8:47 pm 
Broken Tamborine

VinylGuy wrote:
scrub12 wrote:

yeah, he is really happy

They both really did. It would be awesome if we got a new record in 2 years. Is it possible?

PostPosted: Thu April 25, 2024 8:49 pm 
Future Drummer

Leatherhead wrote:
tragabigzanda wrote:
Monkey_Driven wrote:
The mic thing doesn't bother me in live shows because of the crowd. It's weird in a studio setting. Just sing a different melody as others have mentioned.

I'll do you one better and say that I'm simply stymied as to why he wants to keep hitting notes in the studio that he can't hit on stage.

I totally get why he's still swinging for the fences on beloved classics, because that's how his audience knows the songs. But going forward, why wouldn't he just write things from the position of "Can I sing this multiple nights a week?"

it chips away at ed's authenticity a bit. if he - at best - needs a perfect studio setting, or - at worst - needs a bunch of digital enhancements to sound a certain way, i'd much prefer that he keep it real and sing what he can naturally in the present day. the guy can still sing.. not arguing that.

i just wish he'd lose the need, where ever it comes from, to sound younger than he is. or just different than he is.

but i've given up hope for that a few records ago, since he's been doing this since backspacer at least.

still love ya ed.. best of luck singing the new ones this tour

PostPosted: Thu April 25, 2024 8:54 pm 
She / Her

Leatherhead wrote:
tragabigzanda wrote:
Monkey_Driven wrote:

same

PostPosted: Thu April 25, 2024 9:00 pm 
Production Police

dprival78 wrote:
Leatherhead wrote:
tragabigzanda wrote:
Monkey_Driven wrote:

it chips away at ed's authenticity a bit. if he - at best - needs a perfect studio setting, or - at worst - needs a bunch of digital enhancements to sound a certain way, i'd much prefer that he keep it real and sing what he can naturally in the present day. the guy can still sing.. not arguing that.

i just wish he'd lose the need, where ever it comes from, to sound younger than he is. or just different than he is.

but i've given up hope for that a few records ago, since he's been doing this since backspacer at least.

still love ya ed.. best of luck singing the new ones this tour

Yeah this is my preference too. I'd be more intrigued by them working the music to fit their aging bodies. Though Ed's instrument is admittedly aging faster than any of the others', so it probably presents some creative challenges.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 14115 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 671, 672, 673, 674, 675, 676, 677 ... 706  Next

Board index » Watched from the Window ... » Pearl Jam