The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Watched from the Window ... » Pearl Jam

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 14047 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 655, 656, 657, 658, 659, 660, 661 ... 703  Next

Rank Dark Matter
5 Stars 61%  61%  [ 112 ]
4 Stars 28%  28%  [ 52 ]
3 Stars 8%  8%  [ 15 ]
2 Stars 1%  1%  [ 1 ]
2 Star 1%  1%  [ 1 ]
%#*! Andrew Watt 2%  2%  [ 3 ]
Total votes : 184
 Post subject: Re: Dark Matter: Official Album Thread
PostPosted: Tue April 23, 2024 7:32 pm 
likes rhythmic things that butt up against each other

Force Of Nature wrote:
I’m not even up to date on this stuff, I assume Amazon music and Apple Music are paid subscriptions? I’m clearly not going to pay as already have Spotify but if I can listen once or twice for free and hear the difference that’d be great.

I wonder if they have free trials? Alternatively, could you just purchase a digital copy of the album?

PostPosted: Tue April 23, 2024 7:35 pm 

RockPusher wrote:
Walker Bait wrote:
Today marks 5 years since losing my mom. I remember Avocado came out right when my dad passed, the mailman handed me my copy as the ambulance took my dad away... The band always seems to be there just at the right times... I just balled all the way through Dark Matter... My mom would have loved this album so much. Thanks for letting me vent for a moment.

:heartbeat:

PostPosted: Tue April 23, 2024 7:38 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

Can anyone post a link to the Stern performance / interview?

PostPosted: Tue April 23, 2024 7:38 pm 
A Return To Form

I like parts of Wreckage better as a political song. "I no longer give a fuck who is wrong and who's right" is an incredible political statement for someone with Eddie Vedder's intensely partisan history to make. I would receive that as a "let's learn to live alongside our neighbors instead of using national political policy as a proxy" kind of sentiment.

PostPosted: Tue April 23, 2024 7:40 pm 
jeeeesus relax already

Coach wrote:

https://we.tl/t-GCt1VAnEpM

PostPosted: Tue April 23, 2024 7:40 pm 
tl;dr

RockPusher wrote:
Tj wrote:
I always thought Gigaton just felt like a bunch of pieces that a producer Josh Evans cobbles into s album with out much involvement with the band. It has zero live feel. In many ways there are alot of songs that just feel like pieces of solo work . Alright Never Destination Buckle Up Comes and Goes RiverCross. This has zero of that. Something Special maybe you could say that about, but I really enjoy Mike and Jeff on the track I don't get that with Comes and Goes.

This points to the different approach. With Gigaton, they each brought in cherished demos and the rest of the band essentially helped them turn them into songs. While Gigaton comes across as a lot less creatively stale than its predecessor, this approach still is limited by the band members' egos, and what you get are a number of songs that sound like they came from a particular member of the band. I think it's to PJ's credit that they did a lot with that, and there are some great "full band" moments on Gigaton regardless.

Dark Matter was apparently rooted in ego destruction from the start, as no demo was safe from being taken apart and re-created live by the band on the spot through critical jam sessions. I think the results show the success of the process. It seems the best way to be more than just the sum of its parts is for Pearl Jam to be a living organism together in the creation of its songs.

I think my favorite PJ albums feature a combination of both approaches -- there is something synergistic and mysterious about the band writing and creating together that you don't get from the individual band members writing on their own, but I think it would be limiting to always have the whims, quirks, and stray impulses of five different individuals constantly steered back toward the same democratic center. My favorite era of PJ music (1996-2003) features a lot of songs that probably wouldn't exist as they do if they'd all been forced through the same full band creative filter. I'm glad we have "No Way" and "All Those Yesterdays" in all their Stoney quirkiness: "Evacuation" and "In the Moonlight" all their sideways Matt-ness; "Pilate" and "Low Light" exactly as Jeff conceived them. Those records are better for those unique voices (and the catalog richer for having those obscure colors out on the periphery), but tied together and anchored down by the things the band (or various band members) did together -- "Do the Evolution," "Brain of J," "In Hiding," "Light Years," "Save You," etc. -- and by the fact that the band always adds their voices to the finished product anyway.

No issues with them shifting the focus to one side or another for an album or two -- Dark Matter works great as a piece because of the way it was made -- but I hope there are still some more weird Stone/Matt PJ songs in the future. I am sure Stip will agree.

Last edited by Kevin Davis on Tue April 23, 2024 7:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue April 23, 2024 7:42 pm 
Future Drummer

lvc wrote:
I like parts of Wreckage better as a political song. "I no longer give a fuck who is wrong and who's right" is an incredible political statement for someone with Eddie Vedder's intensely partisan history to make. I would receive that as a "let's learn to live alongside our neighbors instead of using national political policy as a proxy" kind of sentiment.

It would be an incredible political statement for Eddie because he would never say that.

PostPosted: Tue April 23, 2024 7:42 pm 
tl;dr

Walker Bait wrote:
Today marks 5 years since losing my mom. I remember Avocado came out right when my dad passed, the mailman handed me my copy as the ambulance took my dad away... The band always seems to be there just at the right times... I just balled all the way through Dark Matter... My mom would have loved this album so much. Thanks for letting me vent for a moment.

I lost my dad last month, WB, so I am feeling you on this -- not sure he would have really cared about DM, but it's hard to not hear any new music through this lens.

PostPosted: Tue April 23, 2024 7:44 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

VinylGuy wrote:
Coach wrote:

https://we.tl/t-GCt1VAnEpM

cool thx will check that out when I get home

PostPosted: Tue April 23, 2024 7:48 pm 
She / Her

mikejasond wrote:
lvc wrote:

It would be an incredible political statement for Eddie because he would never say that.

lol yep

PostPosted: Tue April 23, 2024 7:48 pm 
jeeeesus relax already

RockPusher wrote:
Walker Bait wrote:

:heartbeat: :heartbeat:

PostPosted: Tue April 23, 2024 7:49 pm 

Fattie_Vedder wrote:
Force Of Nature wrote:
I have no issues to my untrained ears, however I feel like I can’t hear Jeff at all

What version are you listening to? Jeff is particularly buried in the Spotify mix, but he's more clear on the Apple Music version (both Atmos and no Atmos).

Guys - PSA

Make sure you have playback at highest quality and select an EQ option then tweak it to your liking (you can control from top to mid to bottom at through frequency spectrum - 60 to 150k Hz)

Doesn't improve audio file quality but WILL improve your listening experience if even just a bit.

PostPosted: Tue April 23, 2024 8:07 pm 
Fake NYC Setlist Relayer

Kevin Davis wrote:
Walker Bait wrote:

I lost my dad last month, WB, so I am feeling you on this -- not sure he would have really cared about DM, but it's hard to not hear any new music through this lens.

Same as I lost my mother not two months ago. Hang in there.

PostPosted: Tue April 23, 2024 8:16 pm 
AnalLog

webbmexico wrote:

ed wore a hat

PostPosted: Tue April 23, 2024 8:43 pm 
The worst

Kevin Davis wrote:
RockPusher wrote:
Tj wrote:
I always thought Gigaton just felt like a bunch of pieces that a producer Josh Evans cobbles into s album with out much involvement with the band. It has zero live feel. In many ways there are alot of songs that just feel like pieces of solo work . Alright Never Destination Buckle Up Comes and Goes RiverCross. This has zero of that. Something Special maybe you could say that about, but I really enjoy Mike and Jeff on the track I don't get that with Comes and Goes.

This points to the different approach. With Gigaton, they each brought in cherished demos and the rest of the band essentially helped them turn them into songs. While Gigaton comes across as a lot less creatively stale than its predecessor, this approach still is limited by the band members' egos, and what you get are a number of songs that sound like they came from a particular member of the band. I think it's to PJ's credit that they did a lot with that, and there are some great "full band" moments on Gigaton regardless.

Dark Matter was apparently rooted in ego destruction from the start, as no demo was safe from being taken apart and re-created live by the band on the spot through critical jam sessions. I think the results show the success of the process. It seems the best way to be more than just the sum of its parts is for Pearl Jam to be a living organism together in the creation of its songs.

I think my favorite PJ albums feature a combination of both approaches -- there is something synergistic and mysterious about the band writing and creating together that you don't get from the individual band members writing on their own, but I think it would be limiting to always have the whims, quirks, and stray impulses of five different individuals constantly steered back toward the same democratic center. My favorite era of PJ music (1996-2003) features a lot of songs that probably wouldn't exist as they do if they'd all been forced through the same full band creative filter. I'm glad we have "No Way" and "All Those Yesterdays" in all their Stoney quirkiness: "Evacuation" and "In the Moonlight" all their sideways Matt-ness; "Pilate" and "Low Light" exactly as Jeff conceived them. Those records are better for those unique voices (and the catalog richer for having those obscure colors out on the periphery), but tied together and anchored down by the things the band (or various band members) did together -- "Do the Evolution," "Brain of J," "In Hiding," "Light Years," "Save You," etc. -- and by the fact that the band always adds their voices to the finished product anyway.

No issues with them shifting the focus to one side or another for an album or two -- Dark Matter works great as a piece because of the way it was made -- but I hope there are still some more weird Stone/Matt PJ songs in the future. I am sure Stip will agree.

My breakthrough realization a number of years ago, that really opened up almost all parts of the catalog for me, was really treating each moment as a piece of a larger whole, rather than a stand alone document. It lowered the stakes, and made it easier for me to appreciate each song and album on its own terms, and for the depth it added to the larger picture.

I wouldn't say no to another Dark Matter as this album is incredible and I think/hope will hold up. There are definitely some Pearl Jam lanes I enjoy traveling down more than others. But I like having options. I like having pieces that take us down directions we haven't traveled that much. And even if there are songs that don't fully land for me (evacuation, in the moonlight), the artistic space needed to create those songs and bring them to the band is also where we got Get Right and The Fixer.

Pearl Jam also has close to 200 songs at this point. So if something is a swing and a miss, that's okay. I'm decades past needing every song to be the best song ever written. I will put the ones that really sing to me in heavy rotation, and the other songs will be things I only revisit on occasion - and maybe THIS is the time it clicks. If not, almost every pearl jam song has something in it I enjoy that makes it worth the brief visit.

I Am No Guide - Pearl Jam Song by Song - Coming this July!
He/Him/His

PostPosted: Tue April 23, 2024 8:46 pm 
AnalLog

Just listened to the Broken Record interview. Jeff and Stone sound so at peace and happy with where things are and the new album. Really great to hear that.

PostPosted: Tue April 23, 2024 9:07 pm 
Banned from the Pit

RockPusher wrote:
Just listened to the Broken Record interview. Jeff and Stone sound so at peace and happy with where things are and the new album. Really great to hear that.

They both sounded authentically excited for the present and future of the band.

PostPosted: Tue April 23, 2024 9:09 pm 

dprival78 wrote:
webbmexico wrote:

ed wore a hat

and didn't even plunge w Jill.

well, I'd say papers are definitely being drawn up by attorneys as we speak. look how unhappy he seems in the pic.

PostPosted: Tue April 23, 2024 9:18 pm 

can't keep the vacation house

what marriage annulment? (W.M.A)

unfaithful

PostPosted: Tue April 23, 2024 9:49 pm 
Future Drummer
 WWW  Profile

So let me get this straight... people are in a frenzy because we didn't get an album full of Future Days happy sappy?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 14047 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 655, 656, 657, 658, 659, 660, 661 ... 703  Next

Board index » Watched from the Window ... » Pearl Jam