The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Watched from the Window ... » Pearl Jam

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 13948 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 551, 552, 553, 554, 555, 556, 557 ... 698  Next

Rank Dark Matter
5 Stars 61%  61%  [ 111 ]
4 Stars 29%  29%  [ 53 ]
3 Stars 8%  8%  [ 14 ]
2 Stars 1%  1%  [ 1 ]
2 Star 1%  1%  [ 1 ]
%#*! Andrew Watt 2%  2%  [ 3 ]
Total votes : 183
 Post subject: Re: Dark Matter: Official Album Thread
PostPosted: Fri April 19, 2024 2:35 am 
Future Drummer
 WWW  Profile

greendisease wrote:
bluestate wrote:
Juvenal wrote:
Hypnos wrote:
Juvenal wrote:
As an unrepentant GD fan, I do like Don't React...
What's GD again?

See my sig ;)

Green Disease fan club member here.

I definitely think R/R lives in that pocket of their catalog. I also feel some MFS vibes too. But React, Respond is better than any of those.

Also a fan of GD.

Yeah, that guy is just the best, isn't he?

PostPosted: Fri April 19, 2024 2:36 am 
likes rhythmic things that butt up against each other

dad wrote:
tragabigzanda wrote:
Strat wrote:
bluestate wrote:
tragabigzanda wrote:
It’s frustrating that for all the greatness this album offers, they still allow for some of their worst tendencies: the speedy punker that’ll give Ed a stroke, the syrupy song that should’ve been on a solo album, no regard for production. Just be great. Is that so hard?

Just have fun and enjoy this process.. is that so hard?

Yes. Enjoying life is a daily struggle for the guy!

I enjoy good audio, is that so hard

it certainly sounds hard.
Just listened to GtG, I am so hard.

PostPosted: Fri April 19, 2024 2:36 am 
Guys, I am not a moderator! I swear to God! Why does everyone think I'm a moderator?

Great now I’m horny

PostPosted: Fri April 19, 2024 2:39 am 
Future Drummer
 WWW  Profile

dad wrote:
tragabigzanda wrote:
Strat wrote:
bluestate wrote:
tragabigzanda wrote:
It’s frustrating that for all the greatness this album offers, they still allow for some of their worst tendencies: the speedy punker that’ll give Ed a stroke, the syrupy song that should’ve been on a solo album, no regard for production. Just be great. Is that so hard?

The fact that we are all peacefully coexisting with Trag this week is testament to the power of the Jamily!

PostPosted: Fri April 19, 2024 2:40 am 
AnalLog

Arthur Morgan wrote:
Tj wrote:
I am thinking it's not Dark Matter as we thing of in physics, but dark matter as when you say "it's a dark matter, but we need to talk about blank. I think this is rock opera.

You might not be wrong about like a quasi concept album.

https://youtu.be/yEi74Kq65iw?si=KKKOGsxgKGd6Scqb

Link to the Ed interview from today at time stamp 7:40 the interviewer states that she loves the album because it takes her on a journey. His response is long but at the 9:30 mark he specifically says the only trick to sequencing this record was “telling the story, if there is one”

So, he uses the word “story” in relation to the sequencing of the songs. That is fascinating to me! I am going to have to closely read the lyrics to see if there is a narrative.

SOF and Setting Sun both mention setting suns. So he is possibly connecting the first and last song by using the same imagery.

And of course I may just be reading way too far and am embarrassing myself.

No there is something there . Yes the connection of Sof and Setting sun. Wfs and Won't Tell connect. Upper Hand and Something Special connect. Got to Give seams to connect to almost all of these. Wreckage comes to be about life lost or relationships lost . React Respond a plea not to fight but also a fight. . I'm thinking like fractured relationship the ends in the passing before a resolution. Dark Matter martial mistakes made kids pay ? Suicide others pay. I'll be the last one standing. There is clearly anger over loss maybe just maybe someone is hurt and angry as hell because someone passed. That person in turn is going make sure those that are left feel love and worth.

PostPosted: Fri April 19, 2024 2:41 am 

Just listened top to bottom again. Setting Sun might just be my favorite closer across 12 albums.

I'll attempt a ranking of songs, why not:

Masterpiece - as good as the best songs in the entire PJ catalog. May open the third eye and/or experience ego death
Setting Sun
Waiting for Stevie
Wreckage

Excellent - in the right moment, energy, and lighting, might actually jizz in pants a little
Won't Tell
Scared of Fear
Got To Give
React, Respond

Really Freakin' Good - above average chance of breaking out into fist pumps and singalongs
Upper hand
Dark Matter
Running

Pretty Good - Enjoyable, like a warm chocolate chip cookie
Something Special

Last edited by Fattie_Vedder on Fri April 19, 2024 2:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri April 19, 2024 2:42 am 
The Master

when people start using abbreviations for songs i immediately move on to the next post.

Stop it.

PostPosted: Fri April 19, 2024 2:43 am 

Tj wrote:
Arthur Morgan wrote:
Tj wrote:
I am thinking it's not Dark Matter as we thing of in physics, but dark matter as when you say "it's a dark matter, but we need to talk about blank. I think this is rock opera.

Link to the Ed interview from today at time stamp 7:40 the interviewer states that she loves the album because it takes her on a journey. His response is long but at the 9:30 mark he specifically says the only trick to sequencing this record was “telling the story, if there is one”

So, he uses the word “story” in relation to the sequencing of the songs. That is fascinating to me! I am going to have to closely read the lyrics to see if there is a narrative.

SOF and Setting Sun both mention setting suns. So he is possibly connecting the first and last song by using the same imagery.

No there is something there . Yes the connection of Sof and Setting sun. Wfs and Won't Tell connect. Upper Hand and Something Special connect. Got to Give seams to connect to almost all of these. Wreckage comes to be about life lost or relationships lost . React Respond a plea not to fight but also a fight. . I'm thinking like fractured relationship the ends in the passing before a resolution. Dark Matter martial mistakes made kids pay ? Suicide others pay. I'll be the last one standing. There is clearly anger over loss maybe just maybe someone is hurt and angry as hell because someone passed. That person in turn is going make sure those that are left feel love and worth.
Brother The Cloud is the only song I wish Eddie had reserved for this. Fits properly.

Last edited by Hypnos on Fri April 19, 2024 2:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri April 19, 2024 2:44 am 
The worst

Hypnos wrote:
Strat wrote:
Hypnos wrote:
tragabigzanda wrote:
Yield had the same tropes, spritzy rocker in MFC, and syrupy song aka Wishlist and is unabashedly loved by the fans. So I dont see the problem in that.

Wishlist is not syrupy like Something special. Not even close.

Wishlist is .....subtle. Insecure. Beautiful. Restrained

I love something special, but not even the same thing.

(if that is what your comparison was)
We all love Wishlist, but lets not pretend is not cheesy af.

wishlist is sentimental, but I think that means something else. Cheesy has a winking syrupyness to it, and Wishlist is deathly sincere

I Am No Guide - Pearl Jam Song by Song - Coming this July!
He/Him/His

PostPosted: Fri April 19, 2024 2:44 am 

Tj wrote:
Arthur Morgan wrote:
Tj wrote:

OoooOOOOOooooOOHHH you might be onto something here. I see the Won't Tell and Waiting for Stevie connection. Scared of Fear and Setting Sun have a connection. What's the Upper Hand and Something Special connection?

PostPosted: Fri April 19, 2024 2:46 am 
Future Drummer
 WWW  Profile

TOACIHCUSSS

(Typing on a cellphone is hard, cut us some slack Strat)

PostPosted: Fri April 19, 2024 2:49 am 
The worst

Eddie wrote many of these lyrics in pretty close proximity to each other, so while I think there's always a lot of thematic continuity in their albums (that's how Eddie writes), the imagery and phrasing recurs a lot more. It's either what's on his mind or an idea that landed well he comes back to. Plus since Eddie wrote all the lyrics there aren't dislocating moments that interrupt the flow of ideas that happen when Matt/Jeff/Stone lyrics get interspersed. There are ideas he's grappling with, but I don't know that there's a narrative

I've only been through the lyrics once, to be fair

I Am No Guide - Pearl Jam Song by Song - Coming this July!
He/Him/His

PostPosted: Fri April 19, 2024 2:49 am 
AnalLog

Fattie_Vedder wrote:
Tj wrote:
Arthur Morgan wrote:
Tj wrote:

OoooOOOOOooooOOHHH you might be onto something here. I see the Won't Tell and Waiting for Stevie connection. Scared of Fear and Setting Sun have a connection. What's the Upper Hand and Something Special connection?

Death and those that are left and ascension

PostPosted: Fri April 19, 2024 2:50 am 
Banned from the Pit

AndySlash wrote:
the back half of setting sun sounds like it could have been one of those songs by the band stillwater in almost famous

I keep waiting for a fiddle. Reminds me of Jason Isbell song I can’t put my finger on.

Future Drummer

stip wrote:
Hypnos wrote:
Strat wrote:
Hypnos wrote:
tragabigzanda wrote:
Yield had the same tropes, spritzy rocker in MFC, and syrupy song aka Wishlist and is unabashedly loved by the fans. So I dont see the problem in that.

wishlist is sentimental, but I think that means something else. Cheesy has a winking syrupyness to it, and Wishlist is deathly sincere

Something Special seems deeply sincere as well.

Future Drummer
 WWW  Profile

T-1 !!!!

stip wrote:
Hypnos wrote:
Strat wrote:
Hypnos wrote:
tragabigzanda wrote:

Wishlist + old Ed = syrupy. The thin line of sentimental and cheesy is crossed with age.

PostPosted: Fri April 19, 2024 2:51 am 
A Return To Form

I can honestly say I have never been so blown away after first listen to a new Pearl Jam album as I have with this.

PostPosted: Fri April 19, 2024 2:53 am 
The Master

dad wrote:
tragabigzanda wrote:
Strat wrote:
bluestate wrote:
tragabigzanda wrote:

It all started with trag critiquing his friends’ farts in grade school.

PostPosted: Fri April 19, 2024 2:55 am 
The Master

spike wrote:
dad wrote:
tragabigzanda wrote:
Strat wrote:
bluestate wrote:
tragabigzanda wrote:

It all started with trag critiquing his friends’ farts in grade school.

nah. Nothin to critique. Just beautiful natural room sound.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 13948 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 551, 552, 553, 554, 555, 556, 557 ... 698  Next

Board index » Watched from the Window ... » Pearl Jam