The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Watched from the Window ... » Pearl Jam

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 13977 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 586, 587, 588, 589, 590, 591, 592 ... 699  Next

Rank Dark Matter
5 Stars 61%  61%  [ 112 ]
4 Stars 28%  28%  [ 52 ]
3 Stars 8%  8%  [ 15 ]
2 Stars 1%  1%  [ 1 ]
2 Star 1%  1%  [ 1 ]
%#*! Andrew Watt 2%  2%  [ 3 ]
Total votes : 184
 Post subject: Re: Dark Matter: Official Album Thread
PostPosted: Fri April 19, 2024 11:09 pm 
AnalLog

Looking forward to the write up.
Almost everything shared so far has been a treat to read (even the negative ones).
And talking about the negatives, this batch of gems deserved a prettier album cover.

Somehow, we ended up with Sauron's cousin.

Last edited by Buby on Fri April 19, 2024 11:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri April 19, 2024 11:09 pm 
AnalLog

stip wrote:
okay, so I dont think this is a record about death and loss, although those themes loom large. Dark Matter is about connection and time and purpose.

Im getting ready to sit down and make my case. Ruddo, this may run long. Apologies in advance.

I’m still picking up lyrics here and there and haven’t started looking along as I listen. The feeling I’m getting from them is fantastic though. Like he isn’t reaching for a political/social connection, just his personal experience, but in a universal way.

I’ve been looking forward to reading your write up for a couldn’t weeks now. God speed!

PostPosted: Fri April 19, 2024 11:12 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

Strat wrote:
Joey is not loving this album and that kind of hurts my heart a little.

Oh no! Don't worry, buddy. I'm just trying to manage my own personal expectations. I had a blast at the screening! But it wasn't my ideal listening situation and my head is spinning a bit from it.

Once I listen on headphones, and can really pay attention to *hear* it, that's when I'll have a real opinion that I can be confident in.

Everything I've posted about it so far is wishy-washy and lacks any confidence. It's me thinking out loud and sorting through something that is already gone. If that makes sense.

I could be wrong about all of it!

PostPosted: Fri April 19, 2024 11:13 pm 
A Return To Form

“Don't let the sky hook beat you to submission
Maybe it's the price of price of our admission
Ain't no fucking roses to our condition
Turn this anger into nuclear fission, “

This gotta be about the band in the early days…

“The unexpected embrace, embrace the unexpected
There's no book on this life, there's no use as directed
The best part I know was when we were connected“

Again with giving…

“As the light gets brighter as it grows
The darkness, it recedes
It's better to give, give than to deceive
Questions dissolve the more you believe”

PostPosted: Fri April 19, 2024 11:14 pm 
The worst

Hatfield wrote:
stip wrote:
okay, so I dont think this is a record about death and loss, although those themes loom large. Dark Matter is about connection and time and purpose.

Im getting ready to sit down and make my case. Ruddo, this may run long. Apologies in advance.

I’m still picking up lyrics here and there and haven’t started looking along as I listen. The feeling I’m getting from them is fantastic though. Like he isn’t reaching for a political/social connection, just his personal experience, but in a universal way.

I’ve been looking forward to reading your write up for a couldn’t weeks now. God speed!

i was expecting something political after dark matter in a vacuum, but I hear that one much differently in the album context.

brb. waiting for stevie is on

I Am No Guide - Pearl Jam Song by Song - Coming this July!
He/Him/His

PostPosted: Fri April 19, 2024 11:15 pm 
The Master

Oh! So you haven't listened yet other than the theater ??

PostPosted: Fri April 19, 2024 11:25 pm 
The worst

there is virtually no chance Joey doesnt get there, Strat

He/Him/His

PostPosted: Fri April 19, 2024 11:28 pm 
jeeeesus relax already

Any of you have the Zane Lowe interview?

PostPosted: Fri April 19, 2024 11:33 pm 
The Master

stip wrote:
there is virtually no chance Joey doesnt get there, Strat

No doubt. Its too good.

Turns out forever has come and gone..... :waah: :waah:

PostPosted: Fri April 19, 2024 11:36 pm 
10Club Complaint Department

E.H. Ruddock wrote:
stip wrote:
bluestate wrote:
sward wrote:
More of a lurker here in general but definitely check in more when a new album is out.. ....I love the album but also enjoying seeing the old school hard to pleasers professing joy over this!

Well done Pearl Jam - that is a feat worth more than anything else!

Yeah, even the harshest of skeptics are feeling the mojo... love it. There are 1 or 2 more of our hard-hearted comrades I'm waiting to hear from. Not holding my breath though.

Jorge hasn't chimed in and I am eager to hear from Kevin Davis (and I think Digster and Brett haven't weighed in, but I may have missed them)

Also spenno

I like it!

This was my first review somewhere in this giant thread:

Birds in Hell wrote:
My preliminary view of the album is it's a step down from the surprisingly great Gigaton, not as good S/T either, but better than either Lightning Bolt or Backspacer.

I'll be interested to find out whether the live versions help soften my views on the record overall once the songs are freed from the production issues; that certainly happened with S/T.

I've heard it a few times since. I'm not sure how this will impact the rankings but what I'll give this album over Gigaton or S/T is that it's pretty consistent and makes for an enjoyable listen all the way through. I'm not (yet) tempted to jump forwards over particluar songs, whereas I'm seldom going to stick it out through some of my least-favourite moments on those records, even if I think they reach higher highs. I've also grown a new appreciation for the singles hearing them in context, Dark Matter in particular.

Wreckage and React Respond are just great, big fan of both. Really enjoying Scared of Fear and Won't Tell as well.

I still wish the album sounded better, which I know is going to harm how often I decide to go back to it. There's no comparison to the 24/96 FLAC files for Gigaton, which sound about as good as I can imagine this band sounding. I also wish the album was longer, perhaps they should've fit time in their busy schedules for a third session with Wotman and come up with a few extra tunes.

PostPosted: Fri April 19, 2024 11:38 pm 
Major Dude

Three songs into it. React, Respond is my favorite so far. That outro kicks. Sounds like a Soundgarden riff.

Wreckage owes Learning to Fly by Petty some royalties.

PostPosted: Fri April 19, 2024 11:40 pm 
The worst

Birds in Hell wrote:
E.H. Ruddock wrote:
stip wrote:
bluestate wrote:
sward wrote:
More of a lurker here in general but definitely check in more when a new album is out.. ....I love the album but also enjoying seeing the old school hard to pleasers professing joy over this!

Yeah, even the harshest of skeptics are feeling the mojo... love it. There are 1 or 2 more of our hard-hearted comrades I'm waiting to hear from. Not holding my breath though.

Jorge hasn't chimed in and I am eager to hear from Kevin Davis (and I think Digster and Brett haven't weighed in, but I may have missed them)

Also spenno

I like it!

Birds in Hell wrote:
My preliminary view of the album is it's a step down from the surprisingly great Gigaton, not as good S/T either, but better than either Lightning Bolt or Backspacer.

I'll be interested to find out whether the live versions help soften my views on the record overall once the songs are freed from the production issues; that certainly happened with S/T.

I've heard it a few times since. I'm not sure how this will impact the rankings but what I'll give this album over Gigaton or S/T is that it's pretty consistent and makes for an enjoyable listen all the way through. I'm not (yet) tempted to jump forwards over particluar songs, whereas I'm seldom going to stick it out through some of my least-favourite moments on those records, even if I think they reach higher highs. I've also grown a new appreciation for the singles hearing them in context, Dark Matter in particular.

Wreckage and React Respond are just great, big fan of both. Really enjoying Scared of Fear and Won't Tell as well.

I still wish the album sounded better, which I know is going to harm how often I decide to go back to it. There's no comparison to the 24/96 FLAC files for Gigaton, which sound about as good as I can imagine this band sounding. I also wish the album was longer, perhaps they should've fit time in their busy schedules for a third session with Wotman and come up with a few extra tunes.

:hooray:

He/Him/His

PostPosted: Fri April 19, 2024 11:40 pm 
The Master

Birds in Hell wrote:
E.H. Ruddock wrote:
stip wrote:
bluestate wrote:
sward wrote:

Also spenno

I like it!

Birds in Hell wrote:

:luv:

PostPosted: Fri April 19, 2024 11:41 pm 
Broken Tamborine

VinylGuy wrote:

Could be wrong but I don’t think the full version is out yet. Only a 15 minutes preview segment on Apple Music. Not a big fan of Zane so not sure how he releases is content.

I just checked and the email from 10c said to look out for it later this month.

Last edited by Arthur Morgan on Fri April 19, 2024 11:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri April 19, 2024 11:44 pm 
The Master

I believe most of his interviews are released as video on youtube

PostPosted: Fri April 19, 2024 11:46 pm 
jeeeesus relax already

Arthur Morgan wrote:
VinylGuy wrote:

Could be wrong but I don’t think the full version is out yet. Only a 15 minutes preview segment on Apple Music. Not a big fan of Zane so not sure how he releases is content.

Oh good. I see his interviews on YouTube mostly. He has a great one with Kiedis and Neil Young too. There is an older one with Rubin too, thats very cool.
Oh and i loved the one he has with Corgan.

PostPosted: Fri April 19, 2024 11:53 pm 
likes rhythmic things that butt up against each other

Looking forward to this review, Stip!

PostPosted: Fri April 19, 2024 11:56 pm 
jeeeesus relax already

yeah Stip! go to work godamn!!

People wanna read.

I havent really checked out lyrics yet. Im really diving into the music so far.

PostPosted: Fri April 19, 2024 11:57 pm 
Broken Tamborine

VinylGuy wrote:
Arthur Morgan wrote:
VinylGuy wrote:

Oh good. I see his interviews on YouTube mostly. He has a great one with Kiedis and Neil Young too. There is an older one with Rubin too, thats very cool.

I did enjoy the Kiedis interview quite a bit.

Based on the preview segment he is a huge fan of the band….at least the early stuff. Definitely looking forward to that and Stern on Monday

PostPosted: Sat April 20, 2024 12:03 am 
jeeeesus relax already

Arthur Morgan wrote:
VinylGuy wrote:
Arthur Morgan wrote:
VinylGuy wrote:

I did enjoy the Kiedis interview quite a bit.

Based on the preview segment he is a huge fan of the band….at least the early stuff. Definitely looking forward to that and Stern on Monday

Stern is going to be really cool! Hope they play Waiting For Stevie

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 13977 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 586, 587, 588, 589, 590, 591, 592 ... 699  Next

Board index » Watched from the Window ... » Pearl Jam