The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Watched from the Window ... » Pearl Jam

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 13990 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 584, 585, 586, 587, 588, 589, 590 ... 700  Next

Rank Dark Matter
5 Stars 61%  61%  [ 112 ]
4 Stars 28%  28%  [ 52 ]
3 Stars 8%  8%  [ 15 ]
2 Stars 1%  1%  [ 1 ]
2 Star 1%  1%  [ 1 ]
%#*! Andrew Watt 2%  2%  [ 3 ]
Total votes : 184
 Post subject: Re: Dark Matter: Official Album Thread
PostPosted: Fri April 19, 2024 8:36 pm 
likes rhythmic things that butt up against each other

EBowie wrote:
React, Respond - Ed's vocal delivery is perfect when he's singing "don't react, respond..." chorus. It's as if there's genuine fear in him and it fits the vibe of the song perfectly.

Ed, in general, deserves a ton of praise for this album. He's gotten a lot of criticism in recent years - much of it has been justified. It's easy to forget that he's one of the greatest rock singers of all time. I think even he at times has forgotten. But on this album, it's like he's reminding all of us that he's still here. Maybe even reminding himself.

I totally agree. And I’m one of those people that criticized him. His vocal choices have been outstanding.

PostPosted: Fri April 19, 2024 8:36 pm 

EBowie wrote:
React, Respond - Ed's vocal delivery is perfect when he's singing "don't react, respond..." chorus. It's as if there's genuine fear in him and it fits the vibe of the song perfectly.

Ed, in general, deserves a ton of praise for this album. He's gotten a lot of criticism in recent years - much of it has been justified. It's easy to forget that he's one of the greatest rock singers of all time. I think even he at times has forgotten. But on this album, it's like he's reminding all of us that he's still here. Maybe even reminding himself.

I totally agree. And I’m one of those people that criticized him. His vocal choices have been outstanding.

PostPosted: Fri April 19, 2024 8:40 pm 
what on earth am I talking about

My first impression of this when I heard it was it’s predictable. Not entirely in bad ways just you could sense what was gonna happen with that turn left in this guitar bit or in that vocal. (Or lyric).
Overall it sounded kinda energised and new to an extent. but forgettable. I couldn’t remember it next day. (I had lost a friend few days before so my head wasn’t in the game tbh)

I’ve given it a fair amount of few spins now (a lossless version) and it just isn’t there for me. There’s some great stuff and great parts, in some songs, but not enough to carry the whole song. Feels like the interesting part is just turning up at the end of the song and then it’s over.

I’ll still try to see them this summer in the hope these come off better live, and in saying that I don’t see how playing any of these live will be possible never mind will help improve the view.

Another time another place along the way maybe

Anyways hope you’re all loving it. Great to see so much enthusiasm on here for once and sorry to be the bum note in the chorus.
Enjoy.

PostPosted: Fri April 19, 2024 8:50 pm 

I want an official video :(

PostPosted: Fri April 19, 2024 8:51 pm 
Future Drummer

Fattie_Vedder wrote:
EBowie wrote:

Also agree! Though I just posted in the RR thread that I think this and SOF will likely be drastically drop-tuned live to ensure Ed can actually sing them. Good to hear the band are already rehearsing because the RR chorus has the potential to be a real mess live.

Last edited by ridleybradout on Fri April 19, 2024 8:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri April 19, 2024 8:51 pm 
She / Her

dimejinky99 wrote:
My first impression of this when I heard it was it’s predictable. Not entirely in bad ways just you could sense what was gonna happen with that turn left in this guitar bit or in that vocal. (Or lyric).
Overall it sounded kinda energised and new to an extent. but forgettable. I couldn’t remember it next day. (I had lost a friend few days before so my head wasn’t in the game tbh)

I’ve given it a fair amount of few spins now (a lossless version) and it just isn’t there for me. There’s some great stuff and great parts, in some songs, but not enough to carry the whole song. Feels like the interesting part is just turning up at the end of the song and then it’s over.

I’ll still try to see them this summer in the hope these come off better live, and in saying that I don’t see how playing any of these live will be possible never mind will help improve the view.

Anyways hope you’re all loving it. Great to see so much enthusiasm on here for once and sorry to be the bum note in the chorus.
Enjoy.

lots of love to you Dime, I'm sorry I called you a troll the other day; it wasn't intended as serious but that doesn't matter

PostPosted: Fri April 19, 2024 8:53 pm 
Yeah Yeah Yeah

Fucking Awesome (5 rating)

WFS
Won’t Tell
Setting Sun

So much so that I’ve stopped listening for fear of wearing them out too quickly.

Awesome! (4)

SoF
Dark Matter
Running
Got to Give

Great (3)

React Respond
Upper Hand (not clicking yet but the intro and outro are brilliant.)

Sub-par (2)

Wreckage. Too saccharine adult contemporary for me.

Meh (1)

Something Special. Nothing special, alas.

Weighted Average: ~ 3.7; will round to a solid 4. Best post s/t by long shot.

PostPosted: Fri April 19, 2024 8:56 pm 
what on earth am I talking about

Ms Harmless wrote:
dimejinky99 wrote:

Enjoy.

lots of love to you Dime, I'm sorry I called you a troll the other day; it wasn't intended as serious but that doesn't matter

Didn’t even see it dont worry about it :) as if anyone could keep up with thread anyways and I haven’t even been trying.
Enjoy the tunes!

PostPosted: Fri April 19, 2024 9:11 pm 
Banned from the Pit

Has anyone mentioned that the title screen of Blu-ray plays the instrumental version of Wreckage.

PostPosted: Fri April 19, 2024 9:17 pm 

stip wrote:
Fattie_Vedder wrote:
I listened again to both atmos and Spotify versions and tried to compare parts of songs to each other. Overall I hate that I have preferences with certain things in both versions. Within the same songs, there are parts of them I prefer in atmos but other parts I prefer in Spotify. Some songs are totally elevated by the atmos mix (Won’t Tell), some have specific parts that are better in each (Waiting for Stevie, Scared of Fear), one preferable in Spotify (Dark Matter), and few that are equal. It’s frustrating.

Atmos:
- drum and bass forward
- More spacious, more echo
- More fidelity/clarity
- More distinction between channels
- Cool effect with AirPods Pro where hear directional sound depending how you turn your head. Does not seem to matter in some songs.
- Overall I think I prefer atmos version. Generally feels less ‘loud’ than Spotify version, but there are parts of songs where everything is ‘pushed up the center’ and it becomes equally loud.
- Downside is some guitar parts are lower. Most noticeable on Scared of Fear.
- I’m hearing things Jeff is doing for the first time. There are also so many more vocal harmonies on several songs that I had not heard before!

Spotify:
- More guitar forward than atmos. The scared of fear verses and Waiting for Stevie guitar parts sound better, or at least, more pronounced, in the Spotify versions.
- Surprisingly softer than the atmos version. This I think works to the benefit of the slower and softer songs in the album. The flip side of the softness is a slightly more dampened effect on everything.
- More compressed. Interestingly, this works on some songs better than atmos. The more muffled sound accentuates the fuzziness of some guitar parts. This is evident on dark matter most; I prefer the Spotify version. But that may be due to how that song was specifically mixed.
- Overall a bit ‘brighter’ than the atmos version. I wonder if long term that will work against it.

Waiting for Stevie:
- clear distinction between the two versions with the drums and bass. I love hearing the bass line so much better. The guitars are crisper too. On the flip side, i like the loudness of the guitars in the Spotify version, and I can hear the single notes in the second guitar in the bridge much better in the Spotify version.

Upper Hand:
- something clicked for me with the atmos version. I’m really enjoying this one more now. I think quieter parts of songs do better in atmos. I mean, this is meant to be an atmospheric feeling song and the atmos version elevates that feeling. It’s really cool to hear the different instruments distinctly. Except at the end; it’s all up the center again (I don’t know if I’m using that term correctly; I’m just describing how it feels)

Dark Matter:
- I prefer the Spotify version! It’s meant to be loud, and that allows the guitars to take center stage. I thought I would prefer the atmos version because I expected the drums to sound better, but they don’t, they sound equally compressed.

Running:
- I prefer the atmos version surprisingly! I thought i would prefer the Spotify version like dark matter because of its mixing. But here I can hear the claps, backing vocals, and bass much better, and the drums are way more intense.

React, Respond:
- it’s a tie. I like that i can hear each instrument more distinctly in the atmos version, but the plinky guitar part before the chorus is lower, and the Spotify version feels more intense.

Scared of Fear:
- Overall I think I prefer atmos version. I enjoy the main riff and guitar parts on the Spotify version much more, but having the bass and drums accentuated on the atmos version is worth the trade off. They are fantastic. Jeffs work on this song is incredible.

Wreckage:
- I like the softer verse parts in Spotify better, but I like the louder parts and outro in atmos. Go figure. Or I’m just going deaf from listening to this song much and can’t really tell what I’m listening to anymore.

Setting Sun:
- very little difference that I can tell between the two. But I prefer the atmos version due to the directional effect.

this is the kind of post I needed!

I tried to recruit my partner, who was never into Pearl Jam, into the atmos vs Spotify listening test. Their answer was “I love you, and I’m so glad you are enjoying this Pearl Jam album, but I have no interest in doing that”. Getting them to go to the theater with me was a big enough favor to ask.

I feel like a cult leader trying to find disciples.

PostPosted: Fri April 19, 2024 9:24 pm 

Ach I'm sorry you're not feeling it, Dime. I hope it comes in time.

PostPosted: Fri April 19, 2024 9:31 pm 
AnalLog

stip wrote:
this is the kind of post I needed!

I clearly failed you. I'll go and flog myself

Jokes aside, awesome post, fattie...really appreciate the excellent work you put into that comparison!

We still make records to be listened to — not that everyone will listen to a record track one to twelve in a row or side A or Side B — but we still make 'em in case somebody does want to listen to it like that, that's how we make em…

Last edited by oneway23 on Fri April 19, 2024 9:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri April 19, 2024 9:31 pm 
A Return To Form

In the booklet, on the Scared of Fear page, Sean Penn gets credited for "pool cue". 8-)

PostPosted: Fri April 19, 2024 9:42 pm 

stip wrote:
Juvenal wrote:
Fuck off I'm getting emotional

i have teared up at least 3 times to this song. Someone (Daft Twat?) described it like turning around and having a friend you havent seen for 25 years there smiling at you. feels right

Just wanting to quote the above yet again, for truth. :D

PostPosted: Fri April 19, 2024 9:44 pm 
Production Police

This record is just killing my ears. If I listen to it once at, say, 60 db or up, by the time it's done my ears are just begging for a break.

Anybody else having this experience?

PostPosted: Fri April 19, 2024 9:45 pm 
AnalLog

tragabigzanda wrote:
This record is just killing my ears. If I listen to it once at, say, 60 db or up, by the time it's done my ears are just begging for a break.

Nope.

PostPosted: Fri April 19, 2024 9:46 pm 
A Return To Form

tragabigzanda wrote:

I'm fine. My sources are both the physical CD and Apple lossless fwiw.

PostPosted: Fri April 19, 2024 9:46 pm 
The worst

no, but i can hear that this is a lot. i am just delightedly powering through.

i will probably be listening to this 8-9 times in a row this evening. I am sure i will be sore in the mornint

I Am No Guide - Pearl Jam Song by Song - Coming this July!
He/Him/His

PostPosted: Fri April 19, 2024 9:51 pm 
Rank This Poster
 WWW  Profile

Val wrote:
VinylGuy wrote:
Gigaton kinda started to heal RM but DM brought us together right?
RM is united at least.

It sure put a strain on the RM web server. Pages are taking forever to load today and yesterday :roll:

yeah she's bloody slow! great news tho gang we cracked the "most users ever online" about 30 mins ago. :hooray:

PostPosted: Fri April 19, 2024 10:18 pm 
A Return To Form

stip wrote:
no, but i can hear that this is a lot. i am just delightedly powering through.

i will probably be listening to this 8-9 times in a row this evening. I am sure i will be sore in the mornint

I see you survived the all nighter. Well done!

I think there's a 40+ dad joke to be made about being sore after listening to new Pearl Jam too much... (of which I'll be guilty as well!)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 13990 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 584, 585, 586, 587, 588, 589, 590 ... 700  Next

Board index » Watched from the Window ... » Pearl Jam