The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Watched from the Window ... » Pearl Jam

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 202 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11  Next

Rate Ten
5 Stars: 10 of 10 (get it?!!!) 76%  76%  [ 56 ]
4 Stars: really good 18%  18%  [ 13 ]
3 Stars: average 7%  7%  [ 5 ]
2 stars: meh 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
1 star: bad 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 74
 Post subject: Re: Ten: Official album thread
PostPosted: Sun March 03, 2013 5:02 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

stip wrote:
this remains my third favorite album of all time

Vitalogy, Automatic, Ten?

What rounds out your top 5?

PostPosted: Sun March 03, 2013 5:04 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

Ranking the songs?

1. Black
2. Release
3. Even Flow
4. Jeremy
5. Porch
6. Alive
7. Oceans
8. Garden
9. Once
10. Deep
11. Why Go

Man, my Rank the Catalog thread has really come in handy!

PostPosted: Sun March 03, 2013 7:07 pm 
The worst

durdencommatyler wrote:
stip wrote:

i don't know that i'd have anything definitive after those 3. probably some combination of new adventures in Hi-Fi, Laid, Blood Money, and/or Bubblegum.

I Am No Guide - Pearl Jam Song by Song - Coming this July!
He/Him/His

PostPosted: Sun March 03, 2013 7:40 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

stip wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:
stip wrote:

i don't know that i'd have anything definitive after those 3. probably some combination of new adventures in Hi-Fi, Laid, Blood Money, and/or Bubblegum.

All fairly modern records. That's interesting. Usually you see one or two pre-90s albums sneak in there.

PostPosted: Sun March 03, 2013 8:28 pm 
The worst

durdencommatyler wrote:
stip wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:
stip wrote:

All fairly modern records. That's interesting. Usually you see one or two pre-90s albums sneak in there.

you would probably have a few 80s albums rounding out a top 10 or 20.

He/Him/His

PostPosted: Mon March 04, 2013 1:54 am 
Posting (live)

stip wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:
stip wrote:

Vitalogy, Ten and Paw's Dragline are my top 3 with a Dylan album def in the top 5. either BoB, TooM, HW61 or Desire depending on my mood. In fact there are 7 of my top 20 right there. Should we try a top 10 or 20 albums list?

PostPosted: Wed March 06, 2013 5:50 pm 
Fake NYC Setlist Relayer

LetMeSleep wrote:
stip wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:
stip wrote:

Vitalogy, Ten and Paw's Dragline are my top 3 with a Dylan album def in the top 5. either BoB, TooM, HW61 or Desire depending on my mood. In fact there are 7 of my top 20 right there. Should we try a top 10 or 20 albums list?

Once every few years when I am bored I venture through the stacks of records, CD, cassette tapes, digital files, etc. and make a list of my all time favorite albums and use as a basis to revisit my true favorites. I might do this again very soon.

PostPosted: Fri September 13, 2013 10:45 pm 
10Club Complaint Department

High-resolution versions of the original and remixed versions of Ten are now available on HD Tracks.

I'm intrigued.

PostPosted: Sat September 14, 2013 9:19 am 
10Club Complaint Department

Birds in Hell wrote:
High-resolution versions of the original and remixed versions of Ten are now available on HD Tracks.

I'm intrigued.

Nevermind.

I downloaded Even Flow (the remixed version) from What to see how it sounds and, converted down to 16/44.1, it sounds identical to the existing CD.

PostPosted: Fri December 27, 2013 6:49 pm 
what on earth am I talking about

Why aren't Tens songs in SOTM?

Anyways. Found a vocal version of Release
http://youtu.be/tiF3idfHFUk

PostPosted: Fri December 27, 2013 7:22 pm 
Guys, I am not a moderator! I swear to God! Why does everyone think I'm a moderator?

dimejinky99 wrote:
Why aren't Tens songs in SOTM?

Anyways. Found a vocal version of Release
http://youtu.be/tiF3idfHFUk

:search:

viewtopic.php?f=15&t=79

PostPosted: Fri December 27, 2013 7:54 pm 
Future Drummer

Why did Eddie re-record the vocals to Release for this movie?

What's the damn point?

It's not even that good

PostPosted: Fri December 27, 2013 7:56 pm 
Future Drummer

Dear who?

PostPosted: Fri December 27, 2013 8:24 pm 
Guys, I am not a moderator! I swear to God! Why does everyone think I'm a moderator?

Rod

PostPosted: Fri December 27, 2013 9:07 pm 
Future Drummer

Rawd?

PostPosted: Wed February 05, 2014 2:01 pm 
The worst

has anyone heard the first week rehearsal demos? I'm listening to some of them now. They're really good. Much more delicate and vulnerable versions of the songs that ended up on the record. Black is gorgeous.

He/Him/His

PostPosted: Wed February 05, 2014 3:23 pm 
jeeeesus relax already

yeah, they are really good....I prefer Black live than the studio version.

PostPosted: Wed February 05, 2014 3:45 pm 
The worst

i've never really given them a serious listen. they'll be my snow shoveling company later.

He/Him/His

PostPosted: Wed February 05, 2014 5:17 pm 
Misplaced My Sponge

yeah i like ten

PostPosted: Tue July 01, 2014 2:05 pm 
The worst

this is an e-mail from a friend of mine who was talking about why he thought pearl jam 'lost the pulse' after Vitalogy (he was a huge fan in the early 90s and then just started rapidly losing interest from No Code on. This is the guy i've spent years defending the No Code--Riot Act run to. I think this really captures what I find so compelling about an album like Ten
Quote:
i've always meant that ("losing the pulse") in the sense that they seemed to not be going to the same dangerous places anymore. i like the music better on ten (which is probably an indicator that the band was at its best when eddie just wrote lyrics and let stone and jeff write all the music), but lyrically, i feel like what made pearl jam so compelling early on was that eddie was so willing to walk, disarmed, into the dark places - to (as you put it) ask questions, rather than give answers. not every song did this, but the great ones seemed to - alive, release, betterman, once, indifference, maybe porch. and when they didn't get there, you could tell they were trying to (daughter, wma, leash, not for you, tremor christ, state of love & trust). i've often said that i get bored by rock bands who write songs about being rock bands, but i think i understand this better now: it's not the subject matter, it's how deeply you go into it. there's nothing about eddie's biography, as relayed in alive that is particularly of interest to me in an objective sense. it's a good story, and i can see how it could be a metaphor for many things (including the failure of the parents' generation, which is one reason i always loved it), but that story could also be mishandled badly. what makes it great is how that story is told - or more specifically, how deeply into the cave eddie is willing to go, without knowing what he's going to find when he gets there. it's not good enough to just say, "it turns out my dad was really my step-dad all along, and i didn't find out until he was dead." that's just a curiosity. what's much more interesting is to sit in that space until you're a little uncomfortable, then sit a little longer - to get the info out in such a naked way (i.e. not couched in any sort of coded language - just to say it); to watch the flippance of the mother ("have i got a little story for you... sorry, but i'm glad we talked... is something wrong?..."); to admit that you're damaged by it ("i can't remember anything to this very day..."); to ask some questions (all those "do i deserve to be...? who answers...?" things); and then to admit that final existential fact is all you know for sure ("i'm still alive") over and over, once you've already declared that you don't even know if that's meaningful - but it's all you've got. that's a depth that matters. that all this happens within that musical slow-burn that builds momentum into that huge crescendo ending is all the better (and happens all too rarely, for my taste, after ten). but really, what's happening is that (a) eddie is not just pulling open his shirt to find his heart beat, he's pulling open his rip cage and pointing to the beating heart itself, and doing it on stage. it's incredibly intimate and spectacularly dangerous (in a personal way). but also (b) i think that story resonates with where our generation was in two ways. 1 - it satisfied our desire for the real (the NOT performative - the not-dave-grohl, you know?), and 2 - he's dug deeply enough that it's not just about him anymore. it's about all of us, being raised by the "me generation" with its lack of empathy or guidance, in a world without leaders or heroes, where you had to be suspicious of belief in anything, and all you could trust were the base facts you could point to yourself, like "i'm still alive." i think you don't write that song because you are trying to write that song. you write it because you're going, helpless, into the dark space and letting it take you where you need to go. robert frost has a great line that i think of a lot in these terms: "no surprise for the writer, no surprise for the reader. no tears for the writer, no tears for the reader." that is, you don't TRY to make a poem/song/story that will epitomize something; you try to dig in so deeply that you're not sure what you'll find, and you try to stay there, uncomfortable as it is, until you know you've gotten to the marrow, to the raw nerve, to the real cause of this thing. if you do that - discover something, risk that pain of discovery, let it hurt - you'll touch people. it's a trick of luck that alive was such an apt metaphor for that moment in time, but you don't have to epitomize the era. if they'd keep breaking my heart, i wouldn't care about that. "like a rolling stone" isn't the definitive song of 1966 (in the way 'blowin in the wind' is in 1963), but it doesn't matter because it's still fucking spectacular.

He/Him/His

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 202 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11  Next

Board index » Watched from the Window ... » Pearl Jam