The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Watched from the Window ... » Pearl Jam

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 202 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next

Rate Ten
5 Stars: 10 of 10 (get it?!!!) 75%  75%  [ 58 ]
4 Stars: really good 18%  18%  [ 14 ]
3 Stars: average 6%  6%  [ 5 ]
2 stars: meh 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
1 star: bad 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 77
 Post subject: Re: Ten: Official album thread
PostPosted: Wed July 01, 2020 10:17 pm 
10Club Complaint Department

VinylGuy wrote:
liebzz wrote:
VinylGuy wrote:
Oceans is a personal favorite. Top 3 for sure.

The only ones i never cared much from Ten are Garden and Deep.

In this boat. I love most of it. Sometimes I can get into Garden and/or Deep but they are the least essential songs on this album every time for me. Footsteps, Brother, Yellow Ledbetter, and/or Wash would have been preferred to include on this album and would have expanded the range of its reach.

yeah while i agree with this, im not sure i cant imagine a different Ten. But you are right.

I wouldn’t want Brother to be more than it is, and I sure as hell wouldn’t cut Deep or Garden, I love those songs. But making a 14 track album including Wash, Footsteps, and Ledbetter would be cool.

Wash
Even Flow
Alive
Once
Footsteps
Why Go
Black
Jeremy
Oceans
Porch
Garden
Deep
Release
Yellow Ledbetter

If I were to cut anything here it would probably be Why Go.

Last edited by PHATJ on Wed July 01, 2020 10:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed July 01, 2020 10:52 pm 
likes rhythmic things that butt up against each other

PHATJ wrote:
VinylGuy wrote:
liebzz wrote:
VinylGuy wrote:

In this boat. I love most of it. Sometimes I can get into Garden and/or Deep but they are the least essential songs on this album every time for me. Footsteps, Brother, Yellow Ledbetter, and/or Wash would have been preferred to include on this album and would have expanded the range of its reach.

yeah while i agree with this, im not sure i cant imagine a different Ten. But you are right.

I wouldn’t want Brother to be more than it is, and I sure as hell wouldn’t cut Deep or Garden, I love those songs. But making a 14 track album including Wash, Footsteps, and Ledbetter would be cool.

Wash
Even Flow
Alive
Once
Footsteps
Why Go
Black
Jeremy
Oceans
Porch
Garden
Deep
Release
Yellow Ledbetter

I I were to cut anything here it would probably be Why Go.

Master/Slave must remain though?

PostPosted: Wed July 01, 2020 10:55 pm 

Juvenal wrote:
PHATJ wrote:
VinylGuy wrote:
liebzz wrote:
VinylGuy wrote:

Wash
Even Flow
Alive
Once
Footsteps
Why Go
Black
Jeremy
Oceans
Porch
Garden
Deep
Release
Yellow Ledbetter

Of course. Goes without saying.

PostPosted: Wed July 01, 2020 10:57 pm 
likes rhythmic things that butt up against each other

PHATJ wrote:
Juvenal wrote:
PHATJ wrote:
VinylGuy wrote:
liebzz wrote:
VinylGuy wrote:

Wash
Even Flow
Alive
Once
Footsteps
Why Go
Black
Jeremy
Oceans
Porch
Garden
Deep
Release
Yellow Ledbetter

Of course. Goes without saying.

:nice:

PostPosted: Wed July 01, 2020 11:27 pm 
AnalLog

DissidentRival4 wrote:
I remember Alive, Release, and Garden being my favs off of Ten. I listened to and really did like it a lot, but as much as I listened to and loved Ten - it was the Singles soundtrack and the Jeremy "single" CD with Footsteps and YL that really really made me love this band. However, I will say I never could get over the initial disappointment I had in the album when I realized that Evenflow on Ten was not the same Evenflow from the video. But then I found the single for Alive with Wash, Dirty Frank, and the "re-recorded" Evenflow - and then all was right with the world for me. Wore that one out bc I loved that Evenflow so much. (Still do :) )

I still have almost all those old CD singles...amazing the added stuff they used to just tack on as a B-side or whatever. Obviously the Jeremy CD single with Footsteps/YL is legendary but i also cherished that Dissident 3 disk "CD single" with the 94 Atlanta show. Pretty sure that was the only live Pearl Jam i had access to at that time.

PostPosted: Wed July 01, 2020 11:36 pm 

Thurman Murman wrote:
DissidentRival4 wrote:
I remember Alive, Release, and Garden being my favs off of Ten. I listened to and really did like it a lot, but as much as I listened to and loved Ten - it was the Singles soundtrack and the Jeremy "single" CD with Footsteps and YL that really really made me love this band. However, I will say I never could get over the initial disappointment I had in the album when I realized that Evenflow on Ten was not the same Evenflow from the video. But then I found the single for Alive with Wash, Dirty Frank, and the "re-recorded" Evenflow - and then all was right with the world for me. Wore that one out bc I loved that Evenflow so much. (Still do :) )

I still have almost all those old CD singles...amazing the added stuff they used to just tack on as a B-side or whatever. Obviously the Jeremy CD single with Footsteps/YL is legendary but i also cherished that Dissident 3 disk "CD single" with the 94 Atlanta show. Pretty sure that was the only live Pearl Jam i had access to at that time.

I still have all those CD singles too. Dissident was the holy grail for me. It might’ve been my first exposure to live Pearl Jam, I can’t remember. Deep from that disc still blows my mind. It’s completely unhinged in the best ways possible.

PostPosted: Thu July 02, 2020 12:02 am 
AnalLog

PHATJ wrote:
Thurman Murman wrote:
DissidentRival4 wrote:

I still have all those CD singles too. Dissident was the holy grail for me. It might’ve been my first exposure to live Pearl Jam, I can’t remember. Deep from that disc still blows my mind. It’s completely unhinged in the best ways possible.

Yeah that was killer! And RVM so early in the set...Daugher with the Another Brick in the Wall tag....Black with the "We belong together" tag. Such an amazing show.

PostPosted: Thu July 02, 2020 1:07 am 
jeeeesus relax already

why go is fucking amazing.

PostPosted: Thu July 02, 2020 1:23 am 
AnalLog

VinylGuy wrote:

PostPosted: Sun September 20, 2020 7:30 am 
for those who
are not...shall be

guitar_davey wrote:
VinylGuy wrote:

PostPosted: Sun September 20, 2020 12:56 pm 
NYUCK NYUCK NYUCK

knee tunes wrote:
guitar_davey wrote:
VinylGuy wrote:
why go is fuck

PostPosted: Fri March 29, 2024 11:29 am 
Fake NYC Setlist Relayer

I meant to resurrect (see!? Good Friday humor) the Let’s Actually Listen… thread but it’s apparently so buried that the search terms come up with way too many results.

In the guise of taking 3 weeks to work myself up for Dark Matter, I’m deep diving backwards, starting here. For Ten, it’s taking the stuff available on Spotify and giving it all a focus. 4 parts here: (1) Ten (BO’B mix); (2) the b-sides available around the streaming platform; (3) MTV Unplugged; and (4) Deep: Ten Live. Will likely take a couple of days to get through this, but the track list:

Ten (BO’B mix): Once, Even Flow, Alive, Why Go, Black, Jeremy, Oceans, Porch, Garden, Deep, Release

B-sides: Wash (Lost Dogs), Brother (Ten Redux), State of Love and Trust (Singles), Breath (Singles), Hold On (Lost Dogs), Footsteps (Jeremy single), Oceans remix (Even Flow single), Dirty Frank (Even Flow single), Just a Girl (Ten Redux), 2,000 Mile Blues (Ten Redux), Evil Little Goat (Ten Redux), Acoustic #1 (PJ20), It Ain’t Like That (PJ20), Let Me Sleep (Lost Dogs), Yellow Ledbetter (Jeremy single)

MTV Unplugged: Oceans, State of Love and Trust, Alive, Black, Jeremy, Even Flow, Porch

Deep: Ten Live: Once, Even Flow, Alive, Why Go, Black, Jeremy, Oceans, Porch, Garden, Deep, Release

If you want to follow along: https://open.spotify.com/playlist/0UWFA ... UWTDA0Toyc

PostPosted: Fri March 29, 2024 11:46 am 
The worst

there are direct links in the stickied indexthreas :)

I Am No Guide - Pearl Jam Song by Song - Coming this July!
He/Him/His

PostPosted: Fri March 29, 2024 11:48 am 
The worst

looking fotward to your journey. ill plY along when i xan

for the mkst part i think i prefee the original mix - except for the 3 remixes on RVM - thoseare the best!

I Am No Guide - Pearl Jam Song by Song - Coming this July!
He/Him/His

PostPosted: Fri March 29, 2024 1:15 pm 
Fake NYC Setlist Relayer

Sorry I missed that.

Ten (BO’B mix): this is quite possibly, to my ears, the last good deed Brendan O’Brien did for the band - remixing Ten by cutting much of the reverb and refocusing on the playing. The original mix to me sounded almost dated by the time Vs. came out. It conveys all energy and almost lacks focus. The new mix brings in the focus, and I never thought it compromised the energy. In fact, listening now, the band is playing the sh!t out of these songs. I have to listen through all the albums again (I mean that’s the point, right), but I also want to listen for these moments where the band’s energy matches Vedder. On this album, they just push each other up and up and up.

In the years, I’ve gone through so many phases with this album. In the 90s, I largely focused my energy on the first half of the album: Once, Even Flow (the first Pearl Jam song I can remember really knowing), Alive, Black, and Jeremy were the heart of this album to me, and still are in some ways. As the years went on, I saw more in Release, Oceans, and Why Go. Porch was always essential, especially coming out of the jam and into the most urgent delivery on the album. These days I get pulled into Garden and Deep in ways they weren’t as accessible to me in years past. It’s an album with no weak spots, and really well sequenced - Oceans comes in just at the right moment to palette cleanse, Release’s build and sentiment serves as a culmination of all these characters’ (and Eddie’s) multitudes begging for the chains of these personal barriers to be broken and be set free, and the hopefulness that by riding these waves we’ll be released on the other side, whatever that other side is. The Master/Slave tie ins are really quite special. That the song actually begins at the end of the record, fades out, it can fade back in once again only to be cut off by that opening riff to Once. A great way loop it all back around.

The b-sides: like any extended edition, there’s leftover sthat don’t make the album, but here the quality and quantity is pretty off the charts. Sure, some things here find the band tooling around or working through ideas that never got finished, but for us fans, a lot of the stuff we had access to early provided further insight into a band too quickly pegged as too serious and overly earnest. Dirty Frank is a key example of them having a lighter side, and newer rarities like Evil Little Goat, and It Ain’t Like That are just the band tooling around and having some fun. Acoustic #1 has ideas and vibes in it they took to Vs., as in not being so plugged in, and the sketch here really is something I wish they finished off. And then there’s the finished products of SOLAT, Breath, Yellow Ledbetter, Wash, and Hold On - all album worthy tracks. Breath in particular fades out at the end, and today I imagined them just playing that out on me head for countless time - maybe the song was an hour long and they just nabbed the first 6 minutes…that jam is so good at the end that it almost wouldn’t surprise me. Footsteps, specifically from the Jeremy single, is the version. The Lost Dogs harmonica add is nearly criminal in that it takes away the gloomy and mysterious vibe surrounding this character on death row.

…Unplugged and Ten Live to come soon.

PostPosted: Fri March 29, 2024 1:32 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

Here’s the Let’s Listen To Ten thread:

http://forums.theskyiscrape.com/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=44&start=100

PostPosted: Fri March 29, 2024 1:42 pm 
tl;dr

liebzz wrote:
I meant to resurrect (see!? Good Friday humor) the Let’s Actually Listen… thread but it’s apparently so buried that the search terms come up with way too many results.

In the guise of taking 3 weeks to work myself up for Dark Matter, I’m deep diving backwards, starting here. For Ten, it’s taking the stuff available on Spotify and giving it all a focus. 4 parts here: (1) Ten (BO’B mix); (2) the b-sides available around the streaming platform; (3) MTV Unplugged; and (4) Deep: Ten Live. Will likely take a couple of days to get through this, but the track list:

Ten (BO’B mix): Once, Even Flow, Alive, Why Go, Black, Jeremy, Oceans, Porch, Garden, Deep, Release

B-sides: Wash (Lost Dogs), Brother (Ten Redux), State of Love and Trust (Singles), Breath (Singles), Hold On (Lost Dogs), Footsteps (Jeremy single), Oceans remix (Even Flow single), Dirty Frank (Even Flow single), Just a Girl (Ten Redux), 2,000 Mile Blues (Ten Redux), Evil Little Goat (Ten Redux), Acoustic #1 (PJ20), It Ain’t Like That (PJ20), Let Me Sleep (Lost Dogs), Yellow Ledbetter (Jeremy single)

MTV Unplugged: Oceans, State of Love and Trust, Alive, Black, Jeremy, Even Flow, Porch

Deep: Ten Live: Once, Even Flow, Alive, Why Go, Black, Jeremy, Oceans, Porch, Garden, Deep, Release

If you want to follow along: https://open.spotify.com/playlist/0UWFA ... UWTDA0Toyc

I had a similar idea, liebzz, after yesterday's talk of doing a Let's Actually Listen session for PJ's discography, which I don't think I've done since the first one back in 2011 (?) on the old board. This morning I grabbed the excellent "Ten Super Deluxe Edition" as prepared by Wendy Carlos's Twin and Ridleybradout, for the day's listening -- doubt I'll get through it all today, but it's on the agenda...

PostPosted: Sat March 30, 2024 2:35 pm 
She / Her

Release is the one song that seemingly remains great every time they perform it

PostPosted: Sun March 31, 2024 10:20 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

Ms Harmless wrote:
Release is the one song that seemingly remains great every time they perform it

It really is.

PostPosted: Sun March 31, 2024 10:21 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

stip wrote:
looking fotward to your journey. ill plY along when i xan

for the mkst part i think i prefee the original mix - except for the 3 remixes on RVM - thoseare the best!

A lot of nostalgia listening to the original mix.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 202 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next

Board index » Watched from the Window ... » Pearl Jam