The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Watched from the Window ... » Pearl Jam

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 189 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
 Post subject: Re: A safe place for discussion and appreciation of Jack Iro
PostPosted: Wed October 21, 2020 3:03 pm 
The Master

And another talented drummer dies by the sound of crushed overheads

PostPosted: Fri April 23, 2021 8:20 am 
"Supersonic sucks."

Jack Irons playing his old No Code-era kit on this new Pluralone (Josh Klinghoffer, ex-RHCP) track, along with Steven McDonald (Redd Kross, Melvins) and Nick Reinhart (Tera Melos):

Have to say, I really can't stand Klinghoffer's music, general vibe, etc.

Would've been much more interesting to have booted him out of the room and let Irons, Reinhart and McDonald jam.

PostPosted: Fri April 23, 2021 1:23 pm 
jeeeesus relax already

Irons and Mcdonald!! Wow!!

PostPosted: Fri April 23, 2021 8:08 pm 
AnalLog

Birds in Hell wrote:
Jack Irons playing his old No Code-era kit on this new Pluralone (Josh Klinghoffer, ex-RHCP) track, along with Steven McDonald (Redd Kross, Melvins) and Nick Reinhart (Tera Melos):

Have to say, I really can't stand Klinghoffer's music, general vibe, etc.

Would've been much more interesting to have booted him out of the room and let Irons, Reinhart and McDonald jam.

This is the dude who was going to be touring with them and probably sitting in? That song is atrocious.

PostPosted: Tue December 21, 2021 1:08 am 
Poster of the Year

https://www.facebook.com/jackironsmusic ... 4001503202

Quote:
In My Tree was a studio creation very sound dependent..unusual drum set up, different rooms and multi kit tracking really influenced how it came to be rather than a performance or drumming to a song.. thanks to the Beatles Get Back movie and being re-inspired by the sound of towels on drums I was able to capture a sound that could work for a home recreation…a little ad-libing of parts and spicing up of the recording..

PostPosted: Tue December 21, 2021 9:08 am 
AnalLog

Do you guys think there's a change Jack will perform on Eddie's upcoming record?

I mean..this is Eddie's LA record. There are more Chili Peppers on it....

PostPosted: Tue December 21, 2021 2:43 pm 
jeeeesus relax already

I think Chad got the spot now. And maybe Matt will make an appearance.

PostPosted: Tue December 21, 2021 2:56 pm 
Rank This Poster

It sounds like Jack has had No Code on his mind a lot lately and my heart is bursting.

PostPosted: Tue December 21, 2021 4:31 pm 
AnalLog

VinylGuy wrote:
I think Chad got the spot now. And maybe Matt will make an appearance.

Ringo Starr is also rumoured to be on this album.

PostPosted: Mon March 07, 2022 7:00 pm 
The Master

From Spin:

Did you use towels on the original session?

You’ve played on a lot of Josh Klinghoffer’s Pluralone releases of late. I understand he is now the owner of the drum kit you played throughout the ‘90s on albums like Pearl Jam’s No Code.
Yeah. That’s Josh’s kit now. Me and him made a deal [Laughs]. Josh is a collector. I don’t collect drums. Through the years, I’ve had many sets, but I end up selling them off. I don’t like to collect and store things. My family does that enough already. Moving with garages full of stuff bums me out. As time goes on, I just love my Masters of Maple drums. They sound so much better to me than any kit I play. That kit was the old No Code kit, but it never sounded as good to me recording it at home as the years rolled by. Josh was really dying to have it. He became the owner of the kit when we were doing To Be One With You up in NorCal. We recorded it at Prairie Sun Studios up in Sebastopol. That was a really cool session — one of my favorites. He was over at my house and saw the kit in the garage. When he wanted to go into a cool studio and re-do the Mother Nature songs, we said, let’s do that. We brought the kit to the studio and had fun with it for a day.

No. The original session is a funny story. When Pearl Jam played Soldier Field in the heatwave in ’95, I was still new to the band. Those guys worked really hard. They had all these shows lined up and then immediately had studio time the next day. I was always really tired from these long sets, and the next day, I was like, gosh, don’t we get a day off? They were already in there, but I was fried. I was cranky. I had a little practice drum kit with small rototoms and a teeny bass drum that was eight or 10 inches wide. We put it in a vocal booth with barely enough room for me and the kit. I was in there and I think [producer] Brendan [O’Brien] had an old mic set up. I was like, why are we here? Why are working so hard? I went into the room wanting to take out my frustrations on the drums, and I came up with “In My Tree.” I think they heard me doing it and Brendan turned up the mic and went, that sounds really cool. They were very accepting of my creative side. I was starting to do a lot of drum music, and I wanted to bring that element to Pearl Jam. I always want drums to do a little bit more. They embraced it and it helped those sessions. I do think we used towels on No Code songs like “Habit.” That’s probably the only session where I used it, because Brendan knew the tricks.

It’s also amazing to see the continuing growth of the musical lineage that you helped start, with Klinghoffer now a touring member of Pearl Jam and Chad Smith from the Chili Peppers drumming in Eddie Vedder’s solo band.
If I look back at my life, everything really did connect. Me and Hillel Slovak started to play music, and we met Alain. We were really intent on it. We developed ourselves. Then, we started playing with Flea, and that became the Chili Peppers. There were some troubles and I moved on, but then I ended up in Joe Strummer’s band. From there, I met Eddie. Stone [Gossard] and Jeff [Ament] came to me with a demo tape, and I suggested giving it to Eddie [Laughs]. It just kept going. Josh was very influenced by Pearl Jam growing up and apparently was at a lot of shows when I was in the band. That’s already 26 years ago when we were on the No Code tour. Josh was a teenager then, which is why that drum kit was so fun for him. He’d seen me play it. I just think it’s cool, really.

PostPosted: Mon March 07, 2022 7:38 pm 
AnalLog

Thank you for that, Strat!

PostPosted: Mon March 07, 2022 7:40 pm 
"Supersonic sucks."

:thumbsup:

Link:

SPIN: Drummer Jack Irons Is Still ‘Fishing’ For New Sounds

New video:

PostPosted: Mon March 07, 2022 8:16 pm 
Future Drummer

Question for anyone, but especially for folks with some degree of drum knowledge:

Which Matt Cameron studio performances most remind you of Jack Irons? If there are any.

PostPosted: Mon March 07, 2022 8:21 pm 
tl;dr

Man, Jack is the best.

PostPosted: Mon March 07, 2022 8:23 pm 
tl;dr

Jaeti wrote:
Question for anyone, but especially for folks with some degree of drum knowledge:

Which Matt Cameron studio performances most remind you of Jack Irons? If there are any.

Not many, but "Education" is a bit Jack-y.

PostPosted: Mon March 07, 2022 8:23 pm 
jeeeesus relax already

its really cool for him to be playing with Josh, back then with Ed, Pearl Jam, Alain in Eleven and that LA band...hell, he even played with Lanegan and Alain too.

PostPosted: Mon March 07, 2022 8:50 pm 
The Master

There is virtually nothing in Matt's playing that reminds me of Jack's playing. If I had to pick one, I'd go with All or None.

PostPosted: Mon March 07, 2022 9:26 pm 
Future Drummer

I just listened to Love Boat Captain and Faithful back-to-back, hoping to compare songs of a similar tempo (again, at least to untrained ears).

A couple theoretically "similar" moments that stood out to me are some of Jack's fills in the Faithful bridge and Matt's drumroll coming out of the first chorus in LBC. They're obviously not identical, but they're also so plainly played by different individuals. This is something about drums that has always vexed me.

In my mind, I think what gives Jack's work a character I love is that he often seems to be just a shade behind the beat. Presumably that's the "groove" he seems to offer than Matt generally doesn't. I'm sure this has all been said before, but I've never chimed in on any drummer discussions except to "vote for Jack."

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2023 1:51 am 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

listened to the 3 albums of jack's on apple music

Attention Dimension: A couple interesting ideas in here, 1-2 tracks i like a lot, a decent first made-myself album

No Heads are Better than One: This one is a bit of a chore to listen to... maybe i need to give it another spin... but seems kind of abrasive and discomforting

Moonshine: Dig this. The first half of the album in particular. Feel like the first 4 are all keepers, and 'feel like jack' ... love groovin to this

next need to get into some of these EPs

All posts by this account, even those referencing real things, are entirely fictional and are for entertainment purposes only; i.e. very low-quality entertainment. These may contain coarse language and due to their content should not be viewed by anyone

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2023 2:41 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

Listened to all of the EPs

kind of a wall of sound, wish there was a bit more differentiation

but need to give them additional listens

All posts by this account, even those referencing real things, are entirely fictional and are for entertainment purposes only; i.e. very low-quality entertainment. These may contain coarse language and due to their content should not be viewed by anyone

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 189 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Board index » Watched from the Window ... » Pearl Jam