The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Watched from the Window ... » Pearl Jam

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 120 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: Vault #11 - Atlanta 1994
PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2023 7:42 pm 
jeeeesus relax already

i would buy a lost dogs vinyl

B i dont think this is just PJ, i mean vinyl has kinda of exploded and everyone is trying to sell as many units as they can

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2023 7:49 pm 
Troglodyte
 WWW  Profile

VinylGuy wrote:

B i dont think this is just PJ, i mean vinyl has kinda of exploded and everyone is trying to sell as many units as they can

Do other artists put out more than one item a month? I know some of that is side projects, but shit! That's a lot of stuff from a band that didn't record anything.

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2023 8:10 pm 
AnalLog

tragabigzanda wrote:
I think their views have shifted such that they prioritize a more closely-knit sphere of influence, i.e. their staff, their local community orgs, and their pet philanthropic causes. They sure don't make money like they used to, so they've had to adapt to continue to support some things at the expense of other things.

I never thought I'd say it, but I fully agree with Trag.

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2023 8:27 pm 
Troglodyte
 WWW  Profile

liebzz wrote:
plus god knows what in shipping.

$15.49 domestic

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2023 8:41 pm 
I Have A Third Nipple

I think we all sniffed out a year ago that this was going to the next vinyl vault release. There’s also been plenty of speculation that the vault is much shallower than people assumed it would be. I wouldn’t be shocked if we get a 2000 show on vinyl at some point, maybe orders ship in late 2024 for the 25th anniversary or something.

I usually put $100 aside at the beginning of the year for this, so I don’t really bat an eye at the price. Happy to have this one.

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2023 9:11 pm 
jeeeesus relax already

B wrote:
VinylGuy wrote:

Do other artists put out more than one item a month? I know some of that is side projects, but shit! That's a lot of stuff from a band that didn't record anything.

yes, most of them are doing a lot of stuff these days

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2023 9:20 pm 
Fake NYC Setlist Relayer

I think I mostly get agitated over the multiple variants thing. I mean I guess I should be fine if someone wants to fork up $36 four times for the same album in different colors, but I sort of see myself as a recovering completist and feel bad that it seems like taking advantage of that impulse. I mean, back in the day I had to have every Pearl Jam release. All of them. And it hit critical mass in 2001 with the 72 bootlegs and I just sort of snapped out of it when I stopped myself from ordering the 2003 shows…but I still fall victim to it. I mean, I ordered the Give Way vinyl and thought that would be that, and then when they posted that the streaming was limited time only I ordered the CD to ensure digital access. That was a moment of weakness.

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2023 9:22 pm 
Broken Tamborine

Simple Torture wrote:
I think we all sniffed out a year ago that this was going to the next vinyl vault release. There’s also been plenty of speculation that the vault is much shallower than people assumed it would be.

The vault series or the vault itself?

There is plenty of stuff in the vault that could be used, but the band is not interested in dealing with it.

They would rather release stuff that was already mixed and prepared for consumption in the 90's which means zero work beyond sending it to a mastering lab.

And if anyone complains they can make convenient excuses about the vault shows not being 100% complete because of tape changes.

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2023 10:01 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

Shit - with shipping this thing will be $162.50

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2023 10:03 pm 
10Club Complaint Department

Man, this sucks.

Definitely feels like 'the Vault' now only exists to churn out overpriced vinyl to sit on collector shelves at this point.

What a bummer.

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2023 10:45 pm 
Troglodyte
 WWW  Profile

As much as my PJ vinyl spending has me hurting, I don't think $70 is out of line for this thing. It's 4 LPs, and these things are really nicely packaged.

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2023 12:02 am 
Fake NYC Setlist Relayer

I don’t want to decide for anyone what’s fair to pay, just that they should make it available to streaming services also, so those of us who are not inclined to throw down that much for an LP of a show we have on CD, cassette tape, etc can enjoy the show on the go (they don’t really put CD players in car anymore).

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2023 12:58 am 
likes rhythmic things that butt up against each other

B wrote:
As much as my PJ vinyl spending has me hurting, I don't think $70 is out of line for this thing. It's 4 LPs, and these things are really nicely packaged.

Plus, it softens the blow when the next 3LP vault is $70 as well.

"I mean, they paid it for the last one, why should they pay less for #12?"

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2023 2:55 pm 
A Return To Form

Immediate thoughts:
* Good, this needed a proper, complete release
* This is the quintessential show most early fans have as their last memory of the band - why is it limited to 10C members? Is this going to get a proper CD/streaming release one day?
* I wonder what they've editing out?
* I've downloaded multiple iterations of this show, why do I need it on vinyl?
* I've skipped buying the last few vaults, I'll never have the complete set, why start anew with this one?
* I just bought Give Way via the 10C, now they want me to buy another show I already have?
* If 10C's just for hardcore fans, why couldn't they pick a different show?
* Cynically, a popular show being offered to only 10C members because 10C membership has flagged and they're trying to pump up those numbers

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2023 4:28 pm 
Broken Tamborine

:D

http://forums.theskyiscrape.com/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=17944

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2023 5:07 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

atlanta night 1 would've been fantastic

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2023 5:22 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

liebzz wrote:
I wish they’d put the vaults on streaming services. That notwithstanding, there are a ton of good quality shows they could spruce up and release:

Berlin 1996
A multi-disc set of all the Bridge School benefit shows
A multi-disc set of the 1997 shows opening for The Rolling Stones
Toledo 04 with Neil Young
San Francisco ‘93 where the Ten Club member made the setlist
Boston Garden in ‘94
Red Rocks ‘95
MSG 2 ‘98

That’s just a starter set.

I agree with you, but they are gonna do what they are going to do, and complaining about it (even politely) is not going to solve it. A lot of these can be found on the web or dark web.

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2023 6:03 pm 
tl;dr

Happy Trees wrote:
Simple Torture wrote:
I think we all sniffed out a year ago that this was going to the next vinyl vault release. There’s also been plenty of speculation that the vault is much shallower than people assumed it would be.

The vault series or the vault itself?

There is plenty of stuff in the vault that could be used, but the band is not interested in dealing with it.

They would rather release stuff that was already mixed and prepared for consumption in the 90's which means zero work beyond sending it to a mastering lab.

And if anyone complains they can make convenient excuses about the vault shows not being 100% complete because of tape changes.

Birds in Hell wrote:
Man, this sucks.

Definitely feels like 'the Vault' now only exists to churn out overpriced vinyl to sit on collector shelves at this point.

What a bummer.

I'm hoping against hope that the recent Give Way release might usher in a new era of PJ archival releases -- properly prepared albums with professional artwork, compiled without regard for completeness and catalogued in a way that feels a bit more canonical than the official bootlegs. Granted, Give Way was a gimmie -- as HT says, it was prepared in the '90's and probably wasn't too heavy of a lift to get ready for RSD 2023 -- but, despite having the full show for years, I thought that was a cooler release than anything that's come from the vault since...Soldier Field? Inglewood '98? In fact it may be cooler than anything that's come from the vault, period...

Between the "Dissident" CD's and the Ridleybradout/Wendy Carlos remastered broadcast, I think I've got all the 4/3/94 I need.

B wrote:
Red Yield in February.
Give Way in April.
Shame in April.

The first time I read this, I thought you were talking about the emotion, not the Brad album.

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2023 6:34 pm 
Fake NYC Setlist Relayer

Coach wrote:
liebzz wrote:
I wish they’d put the vaults on streaming services. That notwithstanding, there are a ton of good quality shows they could spruce up and release:

Berlin 1996
Boston Garden in ‘94
Red Rocks ‘95
MSG 2 ‘98

I agree with you, but they are gonna do what they are going to do, and complaining about it (even politely) is not going to solve it. A lot of these can be found on the web or dark web.

I think I took this position a few years ago - but if I were in control of this thing, I would release 2 archivals a year: one a canonical show or set, and one that reaches into the vault a little further. There are a ton of professional and non-professional recordings to pull from, and you warn fans in advance you’ve done the best you can to preserve audio quality but no promises. For example, year 1 would be something like Berlin 96 & one of the acoustic Tower Records shows from 91. Year 2 could be Red Rocks 95 and a Lollapalooza 92 show. All would be shows they haven’t released yet officially so pre-existing bootlegs out. We’d be able to keep this going probably for at least a decade or more.

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2023 6:37 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

liebzz wrote:
Coach wrote:
liebzz wrote:

Berlin 1996
Boston Garden in ‘94
Red Rocks ‘95
MSG 2 ‘98

I think I took this position a few years ago - but if I were in control of this thing, I would release 2 archivals a year: one a canonical show or set, and one that reaches into the vault a little further. There are a ton of professional and non-professional recordings to pull from, and you warn fans in advance you’ve done the best you can to preserve audio quality but no promises. For example, year 1 would be something like Berlin 96 & one of the acoustic Tower Records shows from 91. Year 2 could be Red Rocks 95 and a Lollapalooza 92 show. All would be shows they haven’t released yet officially so pre-existing bootlegs out. We’d be able to keep this going probably for at least a decade or more.

Berlin 96 is one of my favorite shows.

I just don't think they have the time, staff, interest or resources to pull off that many live releases every year. Fortunately, the guys around RM make some pretty good bootlegs. I think the combo of those boots plus the official ones is pretty good.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 120 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Board index » Watched from the Window ... » Pearl Jam