Tue December 19, 2017 4:14 pm

bodysnatcher wrote:
LuNY wrote:Matt interview

lol matt hates being in pj

can i get a tl;dr for this thing?

Re: Pearl Jam Videos

Tue December 19, 2017 7:35 pm

nothing new, really.

he talks about calling Stone to see if he'd like to put out a Wellwater album on his then-record label, and instead, Stone asks him, "hey man, what are you doing? want to go on tour in 3 weeks? jack quit." he was really worried about learning all the songs in such a short amount of time. i kind of wonder if he thought it was a temporary replacement role, or if he knew it would become a permanent gig.

the most excited he gets is when he's writing songs, which he hasn't done it as much as he likes to these days, and hopes to be able to in the near future. but it's taken a backseat to what he called "a performing gig", which led into the PJ segment.

the dynamic between Soundgarden and Pearl Jam:
"(deep breath).... ummmm. well it's different band dynamics just in general. you know how band dynamics are (laughs). they're multi-faceted; they're everything you can imagine in a family. but i think there's a lot of similarities in the sense of how we all play music together. I think maybe my role in soundgarden is a little more of a musical director role. where as in pearl jam, it's, uhhhh, more of a supportive in the rhythm section type of role. i think the collaboration i have with soundgarden is a little bigger in the creative realm."

the rest was all soundgarden and drumming talk

Tue December 19, 2017 8:25 pm

bodysnatcher wrote:nothing new, really.

he talks about calling Stone to see if he'd like to put out a Wellwater album on his then-record label, and instead, Stone asks him, "hey man, what are you doing? want to go on tour in 3 weeks? jack quit." he was really worried about learning all the songs in such a short amount of time. i kind of wonder if he thought it was a temporary replacement role, or if he knew it would become a permanent gig.

the most excited he gets is when he's writing songs, which he hasn't done it as much as he likes to these days, and hopes to be able to in the near future. but it's taken a backseat to what he called "a performing gig", which led into the PJ segment.

the dynamic between Soundgarden and Pearl Jam:
"(deep breath).... ummmm. well it's different band dynamics just in general. you know how band dynamics are (laughs). they're multi-faceted; they're everything you can imagine in a family. but i think there's a lot of similarities in the sense of how we all play music together. I think maybe my role in soundgarden is a little more of a musical director role. where as in pearl jam, it's, uhhhh, more of a supportive in the rhythm section type of role. i think the collaboration i have with soundgarden is a little bigger in the creative realm."

the rest was all soundgarden and drumming talk

AKA, I'm in Pearl Jam for the money.

Tue December 19, 2017 8:39 pm

bodysnatcher wrote:the dynamic between Soundgarden and Pearl Jam:

Geez, Matt.

Wed December 20, 2017 2:14 am

Well I can see why he would think that. Does Matt really do anything on Pearl Jam's recent albums besides play the drums and get the fuck out? They aren't even using his songs anymore. I try to listen to everything Matt does but I have zero interest in recent Pearl Jam. It's like he's not even there in my mind.

Wed December 20, 2017 2:18 am

Birds in Hell wrote:
bodysnatcher wrote:the dynamic between Soundgarden and Pearl Jam:

Geez, Matt.

depressing.

starting to think the quickest way to get them to write music would be an MLB strike.

Wed December 20, 2017 2:20 am

Wendy Carlos's Twin wrote:Well I can see why he would think that.

Oh, for sure. He just makes it sound so brutal, I feel bad for the guy.

“Yeah, Soundgarden was great, I really got to explore my creativity and work on some amazing material! And then, yeah, I have my other gig and look I guess we’ve all gotta eat.”

Fri December 22, 2017 3:53 pm

Wendy Carlos's Twin wrote:Well I can see why he would think that. Does Matt really do anything on Pearl Jam's recent albums besides play the drums and get the fuck out? They aren't even using his songs anymore. I try to listen to everything Matt does but I have zero interest in recent Pearl Jam. It's like he's not even there in my mind.

Fucking Pearl Jam.

Thu December 28, 2017 10:34 am

Hey guys. Hope you're all doing good. Just watched this for the first time and thought it was beautiful. That solo from Mike. :heartbeat:

https://youtu.be/KATgSvExnYQ

Thu December 28, 2017 2:35 pm

This is the video in the link above this post

Sat December 30, 2017 10:43 pm

What's up Release Me!

Yeah that performance made me re-interested in that song.

Mon January 08, 2018 5:20 pm

E.H. Ruddock wrote:

This is the video in the link above this post

I've enjoyed many Black solos, but that one is special.

Mon January 08, 2018 6:01 pm

Good lord. I love Mike so hard. That has got to be one of his best solos of the last 10 years, at least.
Post a reply