The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Watched from the Window ... » Pearl Jam

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 186 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 10  Next
 Post subject: Re: Pearl jam Twenty (documentary)
PostPosted: Mon June 24, 2013 11:08 pm 
Jeff's Infallible Pendulum

VinylGuy wrote:
I have the Mudhoney doc to see tonight. It will be interesting to compare to.

They're chalk and cheese. The TAD one is good too and it was made by the same guys who did the Mudhoney doco if you enjoy that.

PostPosted: Tue June 25, 2013 9:18 am 
10Club Complaint Department

Non-Americans: is the PJ20 Deluxe Blu-Ray region locked?

PostPosted: Tue June 25, 2013 10:29 am 
Posting (live)

Birds in Hell wrote:

Region 0, so region free. It's worth the purchase.

PostPosted: Tue June 25, 2013 10:50 am 
10Club Complaint Department

LetMeSleep wrote:
Birds in Hell wrote:

Region 0, so region free. It's worth the purchase.

Cheers!

PostPosted: Tue June 25, 2013 4:05 pm 
jeeeesus relax already

Fuzzcharger wrote:
VinylGuy wrote:

They're chalk and cheese. The TAD one is good too and it was made by the same guys who did the Mudhoney doco if you enjoy that.

I loved the Mudhoney doc...i might watch that Tad one later; im not a big fan of them.

PostPosted: Tue June 25, 2013 11:22 pm 
Jeff's Infallible Pendulum

VinylGuy wrote:
Fuzzcharger wrote:
VinylGuy wrote:

I loved the Mudhoney doc...i might watch that Tad one later; im not a big fan of them.

I'm not that big a fan either but I never actually skip their songs when they come up on the shuffle. Interesting story though.

PostPosted: Sat October 12, 2013 1:19 am 
Guys, I am not a moderator! I swear to God! Why does everyone think I'm a moderator?

This is airing on VH1 Tomorrow at 10 p.m. eastern.

PostPosted: Tue October 15, 2013 2:23 pm 
Broken Tamborine

I'm about to watch this for the first time. I am really bad at watching music documentaries, I don't know why.

I have used Pearl Jam Twenty as an example for sometime whenever someone tells me to watch the Foo Fighters documentary or Rolling Stones' "Crossfire Hurricane". I use the example that I've had this one recorded and saved off of Sky Arts for about 18 months ago and still haven't watched it. "And if I haven't got the motivation to watch the Pearl Jam one , I certainly won't want to watch (whatever they're suggesting)."

I don't know if it's because I don' think it's going to add too much to my feeling/knowledge of PJ or what, I am interested in seeing it I've just been putting it off... until now. I'm off work today with a bit of illness and it is Lightning Bolt day after all, so here goes...

PostPosted: Tue October 15, 2013 2:39 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

apparently they came from Seattle

PostPosted: Tue October 15, 2013 2:44 pm 
what on earth am I talking about

CupidStunt wrote:
I'm about to watch this for the first time. I am really bad at watching music documentaries, I don't know why.

I have used Pearl Jam Twenty as an example for sometime whenever someone tells me to watch the Foo Fighters documentary or Rolling Stones' "Crossfire Hurricane". I use the example that I've had this one recorded and saved off of Sky Arts for about 18 months ago and still haven't watched it. "And if I haven't got the motivation to watch the Pearl Jam one , I certainly won't want to watch (whatever they're suggesting)."

I don't know if it's because I don' think it's going to add too much to my feeling/knowledge of PJ or what, I am interested in seeing it I've just been putting it off... until now. I'm off work today with a bit of illness and it is Lightning Bolt day after all, so here goes...

Let us hear your thoughts later.

PostPosted: Tue October 15, 2013 4:35 pm 
Broken Tamborine

Yeah I thought it was decent, even moving in places. I wish they'd spent more time talking about the middle and even later years. It seemed like over half of it was the formation of the band and Ten, they did a bit on Vs. but didn't really mention albums after that, I would've preferred it to be more time-lined so you got the sense of the journey.

PostPosted: Tue October 15, 2013 4:36 pm 

Birds in Hell wrote:

Mine wasn't.

PostPosted: Tue October 15, 2013 4:41 pm 

CupidStunt wrote:
Yeah I thought it was decent, even moving in places. I wish they'd spent more time talking about the middle and even later yearsys. It seemed like over half of it was the formation of the band and Ten, they did a bit on Vs. but didn't really mention albums after that, I would've preferred it to be more time-lined so you got the sense of the journey.

It's weird. A lot of the interviews appear extended and unedited in the PJ20 book. But you're right. Too much time taken up about the early rise to fake and the whole 'why doesn't kurt like us? Oh no he's dead' bit.

This film needed a totally objective outside observer to ask hard questions and get the best from them. Crowe is a fan and was dancing around precious eggshells the whole time I reckon.

But if you can get yourself the deluxe edition and see the other two discs, it actually makes the while thing so much better.

PostPosted: Tue October 15, 2013 6:46 pm 
Broken Tamborine

dimejinky99 wrote:
CupidStunt wrote:
Yeah I thought it was decent, even moving in places. I wish they'd spent more time talking about the middle and even later yearsys. It seemed like over half of it was the formation of the band and Ten, they did a bit on Vs. but didn't really mention albums after that, I would've preferred it to be more time-lined so you got the sense of the journey.

It's weird. A lot of the interviews appear extended and unedited in the PJ20 book. But you're right. Too much time taken up about the early rise to fake and the whole 'why doesn't kurt like us? Oh no he's dead' bit.

This film needed a totally objective outside observer to ask hard questions and get the best from them. Crowe is a fan and was dancing around precious eggshells the whole time I reckon.

But if you can get yourself the deluxe edition and see the other two discs, it actually makes the while thing so much better.

It's strange because I've spent a lot of time trying to explain to people that there's more to PJ than just Ten and the early nineties and then in this documentary they pretty much imply that the only bits worth speaking about happened pre-1994. I'd have loved to have heard about the recording process for Yield, what they were really going through when making Riot Act, how the ideas for WWS or Severed Hand were born etc. I'm sure I'll give the full version a try at some point.

PostPosted: Thu October 31, 2013 1:40 pm 
A Return To Form

I just re-watched the movie for the first time in about a year. I like it a little more than I did then, but I agree with most people in thinking a lot of stuff was left out of tho post Ten/Vs. era.

I've also read most of the book. It's nice to have a more complete account of things there, even more of a mention about the Abruzzese firing (which is still only really a short account by Stone about his personality not meshing well with the rest, particularly Ed, and then an account by Dave Grohl when Dave A. confronted him about the untrue rumors that Dave G. was being considered to drum for PJ).

-On a side note, after reading that section I googled Dave A. and found little news on him since 2012 but read an interview shortly after his firing where he explained that Jeff or someone bought Eddie a very nice Les Paul because Eddie was looking to get a specific Pete Townshend type sound. Eddie was overjoyed and considered it an amazing gift. Dave A. one day ends up knocking the guitar over and breaks the headstock, and flips out and leaves the studio because he's worried about Ed's reaction. When Ed finds out about the guitar he is livid. A few days after that Dave's being fired.

I have never heard/read that story before, it was quite interesting.

I had never read/heard that st

PostPosted: Thu October 31, 2013 1:47 pm 

It wasn't just that but I'd say it was the final straw.

PostPosted: Thu October 31, 2013 2:35 pm 
AnalLog

hbk wrote:
I just re-watched the movie for the first time in about a year. I like it a little more than I did then, but I agree with most people in thinking a lot of stuff was left out of tho post Ten/Vs. era.

I've also read most of the book. It's nice to have a more complete account of things there, even more of a mention about the Abruzzese firing (which is still only really a short account by Stone about his personality not meshing well with the rest, particularly Ed, and then an account by Dave Grohl when Dave A. confronted him about the untrue rumors that Dave G. was being considered to drum for PJ).

-On a side note, after reading that section I googled Dave A. and found little news on him since 2012 but read an interview shortly after his firing where he explained that Jeff or someone bought Eddie a very nice Les Paul because Eddie was looking to get a specific Pete Townshend type sound. Eddie was overjoyed and considered it an amazing gift. Dave A. one day ends up knocking the guitar over and breaks the headstock, and flips out and leaves the studio because he's worried about Ed's reaction. When Ed finds out about the guitar he is livid. A few days after that Dave's being fired.

I have never heard/read that story before, it was quite interesting.

I had never read/heard that st

that story about the guitar is in the PJ20 book

PostPosted: Thu October 31, 2013 2:45 pm 
A Return To Form

Yeah I am aware it wasn't just that, but all I could imagine was just how the look on Ed's face would have been upon seeing his new toy destroyed by Dave.

I guess I mixed it up in my head as to where that information was, I read the Dave article right after reading the Dave firing part of the book, oh well.

Poor guitar :(

PostPosted: Thu October 31, 2013 7:02 pm 
Future Drummer

My favourite ed/dave related probably bullshit tid-bit is that the reason ed hated him from the get go was cause he was so chirpy and always 'hey man hows it going?' high fiving people.

PostPosted: Thu October 31, 2013 9:47 pm 
AnalLog

http://www.fivehorizons.com/archive/art ... n801.shtml

Quote:
O'BRIEN: And Dave Abbruzzese, for whatever reason, he and Eddie didn't get along.

ABBRUZZESE: I felt like there was a time when I had a good friendship with that guy. And then all of a sudden I didn't know him. But I understand—shit, if I was freaking out about stuff and having panic attacks, I can't even begin to fathom what the hell he was going through. I give it up to him just for surviving it.

CURTIS: There was definitely a difference in philosophies. Politics, pro-choice, anti-gun, respect for women, all of that stuff. The responsibilities of being a member of PJ and what message that sends.

AMENT: Dave was a different egg for sure. There were a lot of things, personality wise, where I didn't see eye to eye with him. He was more comfortable being a rock star than the rest of us. Partying, girls, cars. I don't know if anyone was in the same space. Also, with Dave, musically, when you'd say, "I want this to sound more like the Buzzcocks," I don't think he related to that at all. He was a technical guy, and we all played by feeling, or by seeing bands.

GOSSARD: It was the nature of how the politics worked in our band: It was up to me to say, "Hey, we tried, it's not working; time to move on." On a superficial level, it was a political struggle: For whatever reason his ability to communicate with Ed and Jeff was very stifled. I certainly don't think it was all Dave Abrruzzese's fault that it was stifled.

ABRUZZESE: Stone showed up as a man, and as a good friend. I hope to one day tell him how much I appreciate [that]. I had just soured. I didn't really agree with what was going on. I didn't agree with the Ticketmaster stuff at all. But I don't blame anyone or harbor any hard feelings. I'd be lying if I said I wasn't furious and hurt for a long time. But now I just wish there was more music from the band I was a part of.

I think that there was more to it than "Ed didn't like him" and i had the sense Stone was being overly diplomatic and was trying to be the nice guy but somehow i don't buy the story that he fired him because of other people in the band alone. I don't buy the notion that Stone was Ok with Dave going against what were the band's policies because Stone had a huge role in creating them. Jeff's quote is more revealing IMO.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 186 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 10  Next

Board index » Watched from the Window ... » Pearl Jam