The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Watched from the Window ... » Pearl Jam

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 186 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10  Next
 Post subject: Re: Pearl jam Twenty (documentary)
PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 2:06 am 
jeeeesus relax already

yeah, its a great movie anyway....its been a while since saw it, tough.

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 6:53 am 
likes rhythmic things that butt up against each other

Having read the book, I am disappointed that the views of people outside the band including Michele Anthony, Neil Young, the Boss and Jerry Cantrell weren't included even though they were obviously interviewed.

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 11:07 am 
what on earth am I talking about

Now that its available again, I really recommend the deluxe edition. The second disc has a ton of amazing performances. The only real blip is the part with the professor guy but even that is strewn with some incredible footage.

Also, the version of the film with just the performances might actually be better in that it tells the story simply through music. Hardly rocket science, but possibly more enjoyable.

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 4:19 pm 
jeeeesus relax already

Blenheim Augustine wrote:
Having read the book, I am disappointed that the views of people outside the band including Michele Anthony, Neil Young, the Boss and Jerry Cantrell weren't included even though they were obviously interviewed.

yeah, they should have been in the movie...no doubt about it. Also Rick Parashar and Brendan O Brien.

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 4:28 pm 
The worst

Blenheim Augustine wrote:

I know. So surprising that they weren't.

Running TSIS Review

I Am No Guide - Pearl Jam Song by Song - Coming this July!
He/Him/His

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 12:52 am 
Gone

My issues with this film are the same as everyone else's....skirting around the tough questions regarding the drummers and completely ignoring large portions of the band's history. They should have picked someone better equipped for the job, in my opinion. As a fan I am not at all interested in a 'love letter' and Cameron Crowe seems to write a lot of them......

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 1:28 am 
Commissioner

verb_to_trust wrote:
As a fan I am not at all interested in a 'love letter' and Cameron Crowe seems to write a lot of them......

While I agree that I also have very little interest in a "love letter," it wasn't even a particularly well made "love letter." It's not like the movie particularly captured what made us all fall for this band and stick with it through all of these years, did it? I didn't feel like it did for me. It was more "love stained documentary about the points when Cameron Crowe cared about this band."

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 1:41 am 
tl;dr

I haven't watched this since it came out, when my wife and I ordered an Agatucci's pizza and watched the DVD.

I should watch it again, it would be an excellent excuse to order another Agatucci's pizza.

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 10:22 am 
The worst

Lament wrote:
verb_to_trust wrote:
As a fan I am not at all interested in a 'love letter' and Cameron Crowe seems to write a lot of them......

While I agree that I also have very little interest in a "love letter," it wasn't even a particularly well made "love letter." It's not like the movie particularly captured what made us all fall for this band and stick with it through all of these years, did it? I didn't feel like it did for me. It was more "love stained documentary about the points when Cameron Crowe cared about this band."

I don't know. It captured that for me. Maybe not the totality of my experience, but enough that I really enjoyed it.

On the other hand, I saw it once in theaters and then once when I got the dvd, and not since. So maybe that says something.

Running TSIS Review

I Am No Guide - Pearl Jam Song by Song - Coming this July!
He/Him/His

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 3:17 pm 
Misplaced My Sponge

stip wrote:
Lament wrote:
verb_to_trust wrote:

I don't know. It captured that for me. Maybe not the totality of my experience, but enough that I really enjoyed it.

On the other hand, I saw it once in theaters and then once when I got the dvd, and not since. So maybe that says something.

I gotta agree with Lament on this one. The era and stuff I am most interested in, and what made me such a fan, got pretty glossed over. 3 out of 5 stars for me.

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 10:16 pm 
RM Elitist

I really disliked the movie.

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 11:04 pm 
Jeff's Infallible Pendulum

warehouse wrote:
anyone see the new eagles documentary? i dont even like the eagles, but its super entertaining and interesting. lots of stuff about their songwriting process and behind the scenes stuff from their tours. if i have a complaint about pj20, its they didnt have more of this kinda stuff like stories about writing songs. they even included don felder, who im pretty sure sued the rest of the band.

I watched this on the weekend. Good doco!

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 11:07 pm 
Posting (live)

@SkitchP wrote:
I really disliked the movie.

Was it the pitiful soundtrack? Or that the protagonist was a bit of a douchebag? Lack of romantic lead or plot twist?

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 2:40 am 
AnalLog

not only was this movie a disappointment, but i think that all of the the self back-patting that went on throughout the entire "PJ20" blitz set this band back years.

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 6:07 am 
10Club Complaint Department

dprival78 wrote:
not only was this movie a disappointment, but i think that all of the the self back-patting that went on throughout the entire "PJ20" blitz set this band back years.

I wouldn't necessarily say that it "set the band back" but that whole period was the nadir of my Pearl Jam fandom. That was definitely made more acute by the band framing their activity in that time as a "thank you to the fans" when it felt to me as though they were moving rapidly away from most of the things I liked about them.

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 6:27 am 
likes rhythmic things that butt up against each other

Birds in Hell wrote:
I wouldn't necessarily say that it "set the band back" but that whole period was the nadir of my Pearl Jam fandom.

For me too. "We released Ten and Vs and since then we've been a Touring Band."

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 8:15 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

warehouse wrote:
Coach wrote:
warehouse wrote:
anyone see the new eagles documentary? i dont even like the eagles, but its super entertaining and interesting. lots of stuff about their songwriting process and behind the scenes stuff from their tours. if i have a complaint about pj20, its they didnt have more of this kinda stuff like stories about writing songs. they even included don felder, who im pretty sure sued the rest of the band.

Was that on Showtime? Think I will check it out.

yeah, i saw it on hbo and showtime. pretty sure its on demand.

Yup, it is. Will check this out.

PostPosted: Tue June 18, 2013 1:09 am 
jeeeesus relax already

Bushleaguer from The Kids are alright is awesome. The whole disc is great.

PostPosted: Tue June 18, 2013 10:21 am 
Rank This Poster
 WWW  Profile

pj20 is less like a documentary and more like a propaganda film.

PostPosted: Tue June 18, 2013 10:23 am 
10Club Complaint Department

WtOB? wrote:
pj20 is less like a documentary and more like a propaganda film.

BULC NET EHT NIOJ

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 186 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10  Next

Board index » Watched from the Window ... » Pearl Jam