The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Watched from the Window ... » Pearl Jam




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 169 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Pearl jam Twenty (documentary)
PostPosted: Fri December 28, 2012 5:44 pm 
Offline
User avatar
The worst
 Profile

Joined: Thu December 13, 2012 6:31 pm
Posts: 29472
old thread archived here

_________________
*Led Zeppelin Mega Tournament: Click here*


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Pearl jam Twenty (documentary)
PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 7:20 pm 
Offline
Future Drummer
 Profile

Joined: Sat January 05, 2013 3:34 pm
Posts: 2659
anyone see the new eagles documentary? i dont even like the eagles, but its super entertaining and interesting. lots of stuff about their songwriting process and behind the scenes stuff from their tours. if i have a complaint about pj20, its they didnt have more of this kinda stuff like stories about writing songs. they even included don felder, who im pretty sure sued the rest of the band.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Pearl jam Twenty (documentary)
PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 8:44 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Future Drummer
 Profile

Joined: Wed January 02, 2013 12:20 am
Posts: 2698
warehouse wrote:
anyone see the new eagles documentary? i dont even like the eagles, but its super entertaining and interesting. lots of stuff about their songwriting process and behind the scenes stuff from their tours. if i have a complaint about pj20, its they didnt have more of this kinda stuff like stories about writing songs. they even included don felder, who im pretty sure sued the rest of the band.


Was that on Showtime? Think I will check it out.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Pearl jam Twenty (documentary)
PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 9:40 pm 
Offline
Future Drummer
 Profile

Joined: Sat January 05, 2013 3:34 pm
Posts: 2659
Coach wrote:
warehouse wrote:
anyone see the new eagles documentary? i dont even like the eagles, but its super entertaining and interesting. lots of stuff about their songwriting process and behind the scenes stuff from their tours. if i have a complaint about pj20, its they didnt have more of this kinda stuff like stories about writing songs. they even included don felder, who im pretty sure sued the rest of the band.


Was that on Showtime? Think I will check it out.

yeah, i saw it on hbo and showtime. pretty sure its on demand.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Pearl jam Twenty (documentary)
PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 1:35 pm 
Offline
User avatar
likes rhythmic things that butt up against each other
 Profile

Joined: Wed January 02, 2013 7:38 pm
Posts: 581
Saw it too. I hate the fuckin' Eagles, man, but yeah, its well done. Plus, its three goddamn hours.

_________________
I might be able to get to an E-bow.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Pearl jam Twenty (documentary)
PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 8:58 pm 
Offline
User avatar
10Club Complaint Department
 Profile

Joined: Wed February 06, 2013 2:47 am
Posts: 17410
Location: Hunter
Is this called - 5 Things I Learned...? Just trying to get see it without d/l'ing. Man I hate the f'Kn eagles.

Just saw the Foo Fighters doco and I see what you RM'ers were on about in the massive 175page PJ20 thread (that took longer than watching the film). The revelations about band politics and Dave's uncompromising vision of the band and their product. The whole piece was done really nicely and it was great to see the studio footage. I feel that if I was a massive fan it would have been disappointing to have so much already seen/available footage with all the music videos.

I also have recently watched PJ20 and some of the bonus stuff again. It's a good film but it really does leave you wanting more of the band. I guess having seen the MLB doco and PJ 95 film it seemed like whole sections were lifted and used. And it just seemed to be a massive missed opportunity to just lay out a couple of issues (mainly the Dave A sacking). It comes across as such a "Don't mention The War" subject and it feels a bit dysfunctional to me. The Tom Petty doco (Runnin Down A Dream. You all must see this. Nearly 4 hrs but fucking awesome) dealt with the Stan Lynch sacking and the FF dealt with the drummer issue so well. You could see that Grohl wasn't happy doing what he did but he wasn't going to compromise on his art.

Also, a Brendan O'Brien interview or the Parasher guys would have been nice. I'm a songwriting and studio freak so anything would have been good. And I need to get around to reading that bloody book.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Pearl jam Twenty (documentary)
PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 10:12 pm 
Offline
User avatar
I've been POOSSTTIiiEEnngeeaahh
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 7:41 am
Posts: 12402
Location: Cumberland, RI
Will wrote:
I hate the fuckin' Eagles, man.


Get the fuck out of my cab!

_________________
McParadigm wrote:
A+


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Pearl jam Twenty (documentary)
PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 10:39 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Posting (live)
 WWW  Profile

Joined: Wed January 02, 2013 12:35 am
Posts: 17927
LetMeSleep wrote:
Is this called - 5 Things I Learned...? Just trying to get see it without d/l'ing. Man I hate the f'Kn eagles.

Just saw the Foo Fighters doco and I see what you RM'ers were on about in the massive 175page PJ20 thread (that took longer than watching the film). The revelations about band politics and Dave's uncompromising vision of the band and their product. The whole piece was done really nicely and it was great to see the studio footage. I feel that if I was a massive fan it would have been disappointing to have so much already seen/available footage with all the music videos.

I also have recently watched PJ20 and some of the bonus stuff again. It's a good film but it really does leave you wanting more of the band. I guess having seen the MLB doco and PJ 95 film it seemed like whole sections were lifted and used. And it just seemed to be a massive missed opportunity to just lay out a couple of issues (mainly the Dave A sacking). It comes across as such a "Don't mention The War" subject and it feels a bit dysfunctional to me. The Tom Petty doco (Runnin Down A Dream. You all must see this. Nearly 4 hrs but fucking awesome) dealt with the Stan Lynch sacking and the FF dealt with the drummer issue so well. You could see that Grohl wasn't happy doing what he did but he wasn't going to compromise on his art.

Also, a Brendan O'Brien interview or the Parasher guys would have been nice. I'm a songwriting and studio freak so anything would have been good. And I need to get around to reading that bloody book.



100% agree. Just so you know though, the PJ20 book is even more of a wasted opportunity. It has chapters about each album and the level of detail included is almost laughable. There's nothing there either, at all. Take all the live /rare footage out of PJ20 and you're left with a poor version of their history that VH1 wouldn't even show.

That said I'm gonna watch it again now to see if its improved over time.
The extras disc is incredibly better.

_________________
durdencommatyler wrote:
dimejinky-the Han Solo of RM.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Pearl jam Twenty (documentary)
PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 10:51 pm 
Offline
User avatar
RM Elitist
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 8:43 pm
Posts: 13313
warehouse wrote:
Coach wrote:
warehouse wrote:
anyone see the new eagles documentary? i dont even like the eagles, but its super entertaining and interesting. lots of stuff about their songwriting process and behind the scenes stuff from their tours. if i have a complaint about pj20, its they didnt have more of this kinda stuff like stories about writing songs. they even included don felder, who im pretty sure sued the rest of the band.


Was that on Showtime? Think I will check it out.

yeah, i saw it on hbo and showtime. pretty sure its on demand.



I refuse to believe this.

_________________
dimejinky99 wrote:
Hang on I check on my Grindr


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Pearl jam Twenty (documentary)
PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 10:55 pm 
Offline
User avatar
I've been POOSSTTIiiEEnngeeaahh
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 9:38 pm
Posts: 10797
I thought the book was pretty good.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Pearl jam Twenty (documentary)
PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 11:31 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Posting (live)
 WWW  Profile

Joined: Wed January 02, 2013 12:35 am
Posts: 17927
I wanted something like U2BYU2. Now that's how you tell the whole story. Even of you aren't a fan they get into every aspect of their recording and touring for each record and even if you don't enjoy that, the stories about encounters and experiences with other musicians/personalities, is priceless.

_________________
durdencommatyler wrote:
dimejinky-the Han Solo of RM.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Pearl jam Twenty (documentary)
PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 1:39 am 
Offline
User avatar
Commissioner
 Profile

Joined: Wed March 13, 2013 12:48 am
Posts: 14366
dimejinky99 wrote:
I wanted something like U2BYU2. Now that's how you tell the whole story. Even of you aren't a fan they get into every aspect of their recording and touring for each record and even if you don't enjoy that, the stories about encounters and experiences with other musicians/personalities, is priceless.


U2BYU2 was shockingly good. It was amazing how much new material (stories, information, background, etc.) was in that book considering they're one of the most exhaustively chronicled/documented bands ever.

_________________
TEAM HARMLESS FOREVER...


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Pearl jam Twenty (documentary)
PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 10:19 am 
Offline
User avatar
The worst
 Profile

Joined: Thu December 13, 2012 6:31 pm
Posts: 29472
Lament wrote:
dimejinky99 wrote:
I wanted something like U2BYU2. Now that's how you tell the whole story. Even of you aren't a fan they get into every aspect of their recording and touring for each record and even if you don't enjoy that, the stories about encounters and experiences with other musicians/personalities, is priceless.


U2BYU2 was shockingly good. It was amazing how much new material (stories, information, background, etc.) was in that book considering they're one of the most exhaustively chronicled/documented bands ever.


i wonder if the odds are likely of something more in depth if we ever get another documentary. PJ 20 was a love letter to the band, produced by a superfan and part of a 20th anniversary celebration. The final product reflects that.

_________________
*Led Zeppelin Mega Tournament: Click here*


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Pearl jam Twenty (documentary)
PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 11:48 am 
Offline
User avatar
Posting (live)
 WWW  Profile

Joined: Wed January 02, 2013 12:35 am
Posts: 17927
stip wrote:
Lament wrote:
dimejinky99 wrote:
I wanted something like U2BYU2. Now that's how you tell the whole story. Even of you aren't a fan they get into every aspect of their recording and touring for each record and even if you don't enjoy that, the stories about encounters and experiences with other musicians/personalities, is priceless.


U2BYU2 was shockingly good. It was amazing how much new material (stories, information, background, etc.) was in that book considering they're one of the most exhaustively chronicled/documented bands ever.


i wonder if the odds are likely of something more in depth if we ever get another documentary. PJ 20 was a love letter to the band, produced by a superfan and part of a 20th anniversary celebration. The final product reflects that.



Well presuming they continue, they're whole story hasn't really been told. I'm sure someone will tackle it down the line. Be funny if it was Crowe again.

_________________
durdencommatyler wrote:
dimejinky-the Han Solo of RM.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Pearl jam Twenty (documentary)
PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 8:28 pm 
Offline
User avatar
10Club Complaint Department
 Profile

Joined: Wed February 06, 2013 2:47 am
Posts: 17410
Location: Hunter
I forgot to mention that the whole glossing over the drummer issue was also disrespectful to the others (DaveK, Matt Chamberlain, Jack Irons). It seems that the group as a whole including Crowe decided that so as not to mention one guy, they left out them all.

And as this is nearly 20 years ago you have to assume that either the band has not addressed that issue themselves, or the feelings are still so strong be it hatred/resentment or guilt. As I get older the more convinced I am that it's guilt. I mean the whole avoidance/silence kind goes against many of the bands lyrics.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Pearl jam Twenty (documentary)
PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 8:41 pm 
Offline
User avatar
RM Elitist
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 8:43 pm
Posts: 13313
LetMeSleep wrote:
I forgot to mention that the whole glossing over the drummer issue was also disrespectful to the others (DaveK, Matt Chamberlain, Jack Irons). It seems that the group as a whole including Crowe decided that so as not to mention one guy, they left out them all.

And as this is nearly 20 years ago you have to assume that either the band has not addressed that issue themselves, or the feelings are still so strong be it hatred/resentment or guilt. As I get older the more convinced I am that it's guilt. I mean the whole avoidance/silence kind goes against many of the bands lyrics.



The thing that got me most was the 100% total neglect of *Binaural, Riot Act and Self Titled. Like they werent even mentioned. Not even in "during the 2000 tour for Binaural" or something along those lines. Just disregarded half the bands output like it didnt happen.



*i think those were the ones not mentioned, but the point remains the same even if I forgot exactly which weren't mentioned.

_________________
dimejinky99 wrote:
Hang on I check on my Grindr


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Pearl jam Twenty (documentary)
PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 12:24 am 
Offline
User avatar
Posting (live)
 WWW  Profile

Joined: Wed January 02, 2013 12:35 am
Posts: 17927
Two overriding factors ruin the whole.

The need for Cobains approval and then Roskilde. I can understand the later having known people who were there. The former is ridiculous.

_________________
durdencommatyler wrote:
dimejinky-the Han Solo of RM.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Pearl jam Twenty (documentary)
PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 1:38 am 
Offline
User avatar
10Club Complaint Department
 Profile

Joined: Wed February 06, 2013 2:47 am
Posts: 17410
Location: Hunter
dimejinky99 wrote:
Two overriding factors ruin the whole.

The need for Cobains approval and then Roskilde. I can understand the later having known people who were there. The former is ridiculous.

The need for approval in general and also the sense that they hadn't paid their dues (perhaps with the exception of stone and jeff). Add to that Dave A's happiness and acceptance of the fame must have really rankled Vedder. But alot was in his head I think.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Pearl jam Twenty (documentary)
PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 1:54 am 
Offline
User avatar
I've been POOSSTTIiiEEnngeeaahh
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 5:10 pm
Posts: 12081
the cobain thing in the movie really bothered me...i dont think PJ fans really care or think about him anymore...i prefer Jeff´s thoughts in the book.

About the drummer issue..the way they handle it in the movie was total bullshit. It should have been a great story.

_________________
BONE FUCKIN´ TOMAHAWK.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Pearl jam Twenty (documentary)
PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 1:58 am 
Offline
User avatar
"You kids quit having fun with the word filter!"
 WWW  Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 3:35 pm
Posts: 27422
Location: don't PM me I don't have anything
For sure.

How I feel about this movie, from a critical standpoint, is almost at odds with how much enjoyment I get from it.
There's a lot that is wrong with it, a lot they could've handled better/differently, and a lot of substance missing.

But I still really enjoy watching it.

_________________
tragabigzanda wrote:
Stop it, this is pissing me off.


Top
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 169 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next

Board index » Watched from the Window ... » Pearl Jam


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Yahoo [Bot] and 5 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
It is currently Thu December 14, 2017 10:52 pm