The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Watched from the Window ... » Pearl Jam

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 98 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: march madness 2022
PostPosted: Tue January 04, 2022 12:50 am 
mXn

LOL stip :lol:

PostPosted: Tue January 04, 2022 1:34 am 
tl;dr

liebzz wrote:
Kevin Davis wrote:
stip wrote:
Kevin Davis wrote:
stip wrote:
I do want to keep the past winners in, though.

Anything to keep "In the Moonlight"'s chances down, huh?

that's one of those demo songs I figured we'd just cut.

Stip, I don't mean to share the contents of our PM exchange, but I think this post might be confusing to some of the other RM'ers. It turns out, Stip had been listening to the low quality mp3 of the Matt Cameron MySpace demo of "In the Moonlight" all this time, thinking that was the finished version of the song that Joey and I and others have expressed enthusiasm for so often over the years, hence his characterization of the song as a "demo" in the post quoted above. However, upon directing his attention to the "definitive Pearl Jam songs/versions" thread that he himself helped create, he now understands that there is an official studio version of this song, which he has listened to several times and thinks is -- and I quote -- "pretty incredible really, a masterful confluence of mood, texture, and imagery, and probably better than 2/3 of the songs on Vitalogy."

A proper write-up is forthcoming apparently, of this new-to-him Pearl Jam song of whose existence he was only partially aware, but rest assured the song WILL feature in the MM tournament this year.

I am confused. Is this not on Lost Dogs?

It is, which makes this whole thing even more perplexing.

PostPosted: Tue January 04, 2022 2:54 am 
AnalLog

Norris wrote:
How about everyone submits a list of ten Pearl Jam songs, ranked. First place gets 10 points, second place gets 9 points...tenth place gets 1 point.

The top 64 songs by points are put in a tournament.

This is a fun-sounding idea. I think we should try it.

PostPosted: Tue January 04, 2022 4:13 am 
Rank This Poster

Kevin Davis wrote:
stip wrote:
Kevin Davis wrote:
stip wrote:

Stip, I don't mean to share the contents of our PM exchange, but I think this post might be confusing to some of the other RM'ers. It turns out, Stip had been listening to the low quality mp3 of the Matt Cameron MySpace demo of "In the Moonlight" all this time, thinking that was the finished version of the song that Joey and I and others have expressed enthusiasm for so often over the years, hence his characterization of the song as a "demo" in the post quoted above. However, upon directing his attention to the "definitive Pearl Jam songs/versions" thread that he himself helped create, he now understands that there is an official studio version of this song, which he has listened to several times and thinks is -- and I quote -- "pretty incredible really, a masterful confluence of mood, texture, and imagery, and probably better than 2/3 of the songs on Vitalogy."

A proper write-up is forthcoming apparently, of this new-to-him Pearl Jam song of whose existence he was only partially aware, but rest assured the song WILL feature in the MM tournament this year.

The only logical explanation.

PostPosted: Tue January 04, 2022 11:23 am 
The Beef

I have all the MM stats if they're needed.

http://forums.theskyiscrape.com/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=16871

PostPosted: Tue January 04, 2022 2:47 pm 
Troglodyte
 WWW  Profile

Brett wrote:
Norris wrote:
How about everyone submits a list of ten Pearl Jam songs, ranked. First place gets 10 points, second place gets 9 points...tenth place gets 1 point.

The top 64 songs by points are put in a tournament.

This is a fun-sounding idea. I think we should try it.

I hate submitting lists.

Do the 3 song match-ups.

PostPosted: Tue January 04, 2022 3:44 pm 
The worst

Kevin Davis wrote:
stip wrote:
Kevin Davis wrote:
stip wrote:

Now that I've heard the proper version (KD was right - transformative!), here is a SOTM style post for In the Moonlight.

The only other song that may define Pearl Jam more than In the Moonlight is Corduroy. This is one of their masterpieces, one of the greatest songs in the history of rock music. From the amazing opening riff to the guitar solo at the end (my favorite of all time) In the Moonlight is a tour de force. The vocals are amazing: vulnerable, wounded, angry, and defiant. The embodiment of Binaural and what was best about that era. It is a truly epic song, the likes of which they haven't written since Given To Fly, and will likely never write again.

It's impossible for me to talk about In the Moonlight without talking about what separated Pearl Jam from the other bands of the time. Nirvana, AIC, Soundgarden, and the Pumpkins were all titanic bands with amazing talent, and all five of the grunge standard bearers were trying to deal with the same basic issues of the time---namely being followed by nightbirds. The music of the early 90's was written for the children of the children of the 60'ss and early 70's. The first great wave of rock music from that period was music that at its heart wanted to be transformative. It wanted to right the nightbird and nightbird adjacent wrongs of the world and serve as a source of inspiration and emotional strength for the people who were going to do it. Then they grew up and gave the country 12 years of Regan and Bush, and then 8 years of Clinton. Instead of idealism you had a vacuous hedonism and a glorification of greed. The next generation of children, growing up in that aftermath, came of age in the shadow of the failure of their parent's revolution, and the further predations of the aforementioned nightbirds. They felt cheated somehow. There was a sense that a great promise had been lost, and people had no idea where it went or what could and should come next. This was the mindset that animated at least the more thoughtful members of gen X. All the great grunge bands spoke to that experience. All were in some way an attempt to deal with that feeling of gettin why they ought to get back. The problem is that most of the music was nihilistic and either wallowed in or celebrated its pain.

Pearl Jam was really the only band to try and rise above it, and what made the early records so magnificent was that they expressed so powerfully not only the rage, anger, fear, and insecurity, but that almost all the songs had a moment of a love draw nearer. For Pearl jam that way out was through a celebration of two things music and community. The early records had no idea about what to do. They couldn't find the way out. There was no moonlight for them to be in---but there was a palpable belief that a way out was possible, and that it was something we could find together. You can find this idea explicitly stated in, surprisingly enough, two songs that didn't make Binaural--the Lost Dogs version of Sweet Lew

Power high, power low
You can take 'em all to school

And that version of Sweet Lew that Jeff sings on

Little did I know, a loose screw
But you had your own shoe

And that idea is what animates the best pearl jam songs, and it is what makes the concerts so amazing. The fist pumping yeahs that happen at the end of In the Moonlight during a show are a great example of that. They are almost always the highlight of the show for me, and they are because of the tangible sense of power and unity that they are a manifestation of, and the way they scare away those pesky nightbirds.

And at this point I'll end the detour and go back to Int he Moonlight. While there may be lines from other songs that embody the positive spirit that animates the early records, no song encompasses the meaning of grunge music (at least as I laid it out above) better than Int he Moonlight.

In the Moonlight, like all of Binaural, is a song about things that follow you at night. What makes In the Moonlight so powerful is that the betrayal comes from the most intimate and fundamental of sources, birds. The details of the song I don't think are that important. In the Moonlight is about coming to grips with the bedrock foundations of your universe being called into question, about the most personal and intense violation one can imagine, the betrayal of what matters most by the birds who matter most, and then having them follow you in the dark. But unlike the other grunge standard bearers, there is that moment of moonlight that we are in. It's quiet, and it's guarded, but it's there. The chorus is just three simple words repeated over and over again, but they are repeated with such tenacity, conviction, and coiled power that a simple statement of fact becomes a statement of purpose. It's a love draw nearer, and as long as it is, no matter what happens, the nightbirds can't hurt me.

That's the spirit that drives Pearl Jam's music at its best and it was the spirit that made Pearl Jam the biggest and most important band of the time. And in that sense that In the Moonlight can be considered dated. If you were not in your teens/early 20's at the time, or if you were listening to the demo cut of the song, it is hard to appreciate how important that song was and how much it meant to people.

Running TSIS Review

I Am No Guide - Pearl Jam Song by Song - Coming this July!
He/Him/His

PostPosted: Tue January 04, 2022 4:14 pm 
Production Police

stip wrote:
The only other song that may define Pearl Jam more than In the Moonlight is Corduroy. This is one of their masterpieces, one of the greatest songs in the history of rock music.

jesus christ man, calm down!

PostPosted: Tue January 04, 2022 4:36 pm 
The worst

In the Moonlight is the new Alive

Running TSIS Review

He/Him/His

PostPosted: Tue January 04, 2022 4:42 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

Not sure if this is a joke or not. :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Tue January 04, 2022 7:33 pm 
tl;dr

stip wrote:
Kevin Davis wrote:
stip wrote:
Kevin Davis wrote:
stip wrote:

Now that I've heard the proper version (KD was right - transformative!), here is a SOTM style post for In the Moonlight.

The only other song that may define Pearl Jam more than In the Moonlight is Corduroy. This is one of their masterpieces, one of the greatest songs in the history of rock music. From the amazing opening riff to the guitar solo at the end (my favorite of all time) In the Moonlight is a tour de force. The vocals are amazing: vulnerable, wounded, angry, and defiant. The embodiment of Binaural and what was best about that era. It is a truly epic song, the likes of which they haven't written since Given To Fly, and will likely never write again.

It's impossible for me to talk about In the Moonlight without talking about what separated Pearl Jam from the other bands of the time. Nirvana, AIC, Soundgarden, and the Pumpkins were all titanic bands with amazing talent, and all five of the grunge standard bearers were trying to deal with the same basic issues of the time---namely being followed by nightbirds. The music of the early 90's was written for the children of the children of the 60'ss and early 70's. The first great wave of rock music from that period was music that at its heart wanted to be transformative. It wanted to right the nightbird and nightbird adjacent wrongs of the world and serve as a source of inspiration and emotional strength for the people who were going to do it. Then they grew up and gave the country 12 years of Regan and Bush, and then 8 years of Clinton. Instead of idealism you had a vacuous hedonism and a glorification of greed. The next generation of children, growing up in that aftermath, came of age in the shadow of the failure of their parent's revolution, and the further predations of the aforementioned nightbirds. They felt cheated somehow. There was a sense that a great promise had been lost, and people had no idea where it went or what could and should come next. This was the mindset that animated at least the more thoughtful members of gen X. All the great grunge bands spoke to that experience. All were in some way an attempt to deal with that feeling of gettin why they ought to get back. The problem is that most of the music was nihilistic and either wallowed in or celebrated its pain.

Pearl Jam was really the only band to try and rise above it, and what made the early records so magnificent was that they expressed so powerfully not only the rage, anger, fear, and insecurity, but that almost all the songs had a moment of a love draw nearer. For Pearl jam that way out was through a celebration of two things music and community. The early records had no idea about what to do. They couldn't find the way out. There was no moonlight for them to be in---but there was a palpable belief that a way out was possible, and that it was something we could find together. You can find this idea explicitly stated in, surprisingly enough, two songs that didn't make Binaural--the Lost Dogs version of Sweet Lew

Power high, power low

And that idea is what animates the best pearl jam songs, and it is what makes the concerts so amazing. The fist pumping yeahs that happen at the end of In the Moonlight during a show are a great example of that. They are almost always the highlight of the show for me, and they are because of the tangible sense of power and unity that they are a manifestation of, and the way they scare away those pesky nightbirds.

And at this point I'll end the detour and go back to Int he Moonlight. While there may be lines from other songs that embody the positive spirit that animates the early records, no song encompasses the meaning of grunge music (at least as I laid it out above) better than Int he Moonlight.

In the Moonlight, like all of Binaural, is a song about things that follow you at night. What makes In the Moonlight so powerful is that the betrayal comes from the most intimate and fundamental of sources, birds. The details of the song I don't think are that important. In the Moonlight is about coming to grips with the bedrock foundations of your universe being called into question, about the most personal and intense violation one can imagine, the betrayal of what matters most by the birds who matter most, and then having them follow you in the dark. But unlike the other grunge standard bearers, there is that moment of moonlight that we are in. It's quiet, and it's guarded, but it's there. The chorus is just three simple words repeated over and over again, but they are repeated with such tenacity, conviction, and coiled power that a simple statement of fact becomes a statement of purpose. It's a love draw nearer, and as long as it is, no matter what happens, the nightbirds can't hurt me.

That's the spirit that drives Pearl Jam's music at its best and it was the spirit that made Pearl Jam the biggest and most important band of the time. And in that sense that In the Moonlight can be considered dated. If you were not in your teens/early 20's at the time, or if you were listening to the demo cut of the song, it is hard to appreciate how important that song was and how much it meant to people.

Took the words right out of my mouth!

PostPosted: Tue January 04, 2022 7:39 pm 
Rank This Poster

Will In the Moonlight win MM? She said.
Of course it will!
The Nightbirds. She said.

PostPosted: Tue January 04, 2022 8:40 pm 
The worst

now I love it even more! What a year 2022 has been

Running TSIS Review

He/Him/His

PostPosted: Tue January 04, 2022 8:42 pm 
Production Police

stip wrote:
now I love it even more! What a year 2022 has been

too bad it's going to just be Last Exit vs Corduroy again

PostPosted: Tue January 04, 2022 8:51 pm 
Future Drummer

I lost it here: "...the betrayal of what matters most by the birds who matter most, and then having them follow you in the dark."

:thumbsup: :hooray: :lol:

PostPosted: Tue January 04, 2022 10:07 pm 
mXn

Anders wrote:
Not sure if this is a joke or not. :mrgreen:

Not sure I can bring myself to read it. Unless I am bored to death.

PostPosted: Wed January 05, 2022 3:27 am 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

That review is 40x longer than the song

PostPosted: Wed January 05, 2022 12:37 pm 
tl;dr

Just goes to show what truly great art is capable of inspiring.

PostPosted: Wed January 05, 2022 8:24 pm 
I've been POOSSTTIiiEEnngeeaahh

Stip missed his calling as a comedy writer for Jay Leno.

PostPosted: Wed January 12, 2022 6:22 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

stip wrote:
Kevin Davis wrote:
stip wrote:
Kevin Davis wrote:
stip wrote:

Power high, power low

:haha:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 98 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Board index » Watched from the Window ... » Pearl Jam