The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Watched from the Window ... » Side Tracked

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 4732 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 68, 69, 70, 71, 72, 73, 74 ... 237  Next

I would give Earthling
5 stars 11%  11%  [ 12 ]
4 stars 53%  53%  [ 56 ]
3 stars 20%  20%  [ 21 ]
2 stars 8%  8%  [ 8 ]
1 star 4%  4%  [ 4 ]
0 stars 5%  5%  [ 5 ]
Total votes : 106
 Post subject: Re: Eddie Vedder - Earthling
PostPosted: Tue January 25, 2022 1:47 am 
The worst

i need the backspacer reclamation project to begin in earnest so I can finally start laying the groundwork for Lightning Bolt

Running TSIS Review

I Am No Guide - Pearl Jam Song by Song - Coming this July!
He/Him/His

PostPosted: Tue January 25, 2022 3:04 am 
A Return To Form

It will be nice to hear a pearl jam record where Ed's voice doesn't have that (now constant) nasal quality - and Watt can seemingly take care of that if these three singles are any indication.

PostPosted: Wed January 26, 2022 12:37 am 
Rank This Poster

thesound wrote:
As an album I prefer Backspacer over Lightning Bolt but perhaps it is partly because Lightning Bolt came after BS and I was not expecting or wanting Backspacer 2.0. It felt kind of lazy and paint by numbers and the production is horrible.

I’m still hoping the comment about Watt producing the next PJ album was a slip up and that Josh Evans will be back. This is where my hope lies.

warehouse wrote:
i'm counting on jeff to put this watt guy in his place if anything goes sideways in the studio.

I’m still holding some dying hope that it isn’t true that Watt is producing... and if he is, I hope you are right but I fear that these days the other band members simply accept Ed is in charge and they appear to seek creative outlet in their solo records and side projects.

i would prefer they record with josh evans again. i'm still in love with gigaton and shocked they released their most experimental album in decades. if evans gets these results out of the band, i would give him another shot. if they do end up going with andrew watt, i'm not totally against it. i think the sound of ed's new songs is great, even if the songwriting isn't. and while it was kind of a joke, wtf is andrew watt going to say to jeff ament if there's an issue? flaunt his miley cirus producing credits? gtfo, pearl jam one of the best rock bands ever.

what track is stevie on?

PostPosted: Wed January 26, 2022 12:48 am 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

Jeff won't say anything. It's like when the CEO hires his son right out of college to an executive level position.

PostPosted: Wed January 26, 2022 12:55 am 
She / Her

FlatSideofaDog wrote:
It will be nice to hear a pearl jam record where Ed's voice doesn't have that (now constant) nasal quality - and Watt can seemingly take care of that if these three singles are any indication.

you mean the nasal quality he had on No Code?

PostPosted: Wed January 26, 2022 12:59 am 
A Return To Form

I don't hear it on No Code at all. Maybe a little on S/T, but that's as early as I'd go.

PostPosted: Wed January 26, 2022 1:00 am 
Stone's Bitch

bodysnatcher wrote:
Jeff won't say anything. It's like when the CEO hires his son right out of college to an executive level position.

Jeff hasn't said anything cross to a producer since BoB sent the team of goons to give him a beatdown.

PostPosted: Wed January 26, 2022 1:08 am 
AnalLog

I want David Bottrill or Lindsey Buckingham to produce the next album. I think Watt could do a good job though. I read someone say Gigaton was the most experimental the band has been in along time. Backspacer is a far more experimental album. So is Riot Act and Binaural as well as No Code and Vitalogy. Gigaton maybe one of their least experimental works.

PostPosted: Wed January 26, 2022 1:37 am 
The worst

Ms Harmless wrote:
FlatSideofaDog wrote:

Yeah it is all over no code - yield to a lesser extent

Running TSIS Review

I Am No Guide - Pearl Jam Song by Song - Coming this July!
He/Him/His

PostPosted: Wed January 26, 2022 1:39 am 
Banned from the Pit

https://www.gratefulweb.com/articles/ed ... ing-review

PostPosted: Wed January 26, 2022 2:03 am 
A Return To Form

stip wrote:
Ms Harmless wrote:
FlatSideofaDog wrote:

I don't know what it is on No Code or Yield, but I'm talking about the nasal quality that results from involuntary straining, range restrictions, and thinness of voice. He could sing anything in 1996-1998, though chose to sound like Neil Young much of the time instead.

PostPosted: Wed January 26, 2022 2:13 am 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

FlatSideofaDog wrote:
stip wrote:
Ms Harmless wrote:
FlatSideofaDog wrote:

I don't know what it is on No Code or Yield, but I'm talking about the nasal quality that results from involuntary straining, range restrictions, and thinness of voice. He could sing anything in 1996-1998, though chose to sound like Neil Young much of the time instead.

Sounds without strain, but still perfect on No Code / Yield, not so anymore.

PostPosted: Wed January 26, 2022 7:09 am 
The Master

bodysnatcher wrote:

PostPosted: Wed January 26, 2022 9:31 am 
AnalLog

warehouse wrote:
thesound wrote:
As an album I prefer Backspacer over Lightning Bolt but perhaps it is partly because Lightning Bolt came after BS and I was not expecting or wanting Backspacer 2.0. It felt kind of lazy and paint by numbers and the production is horrible.

I’m still hoping the comment about Watt producing the next PJ album was a slip up and that Josh Evans will be back. This is where my hope lies.

warehouse wrote:
i'm counting on jeff to put this watt guy in his place if anything goes sideways in the studio.

I’m still holding some dying hope that it isn’t true that Watt is producing... and if he is, I hope you are right but I fear that these days the other band members simply accept Ed is in charge and they appear to seek creative outlet in their solo records and side projects.

i would prefer they record with josh evans again. i'm still in love with gigaton and shocked they released their most experimental album in decades. if evans gets these results out of the band, i would give him another shot. if they do end up going with andrew watt, i'm not totally against it. i think the sound of ed's new songs is great, even if the songwriting isn't. and while it was kind of a joke, wtf is andrew watt going to say to jeff ament if there's an issue? flaunt his miley cirus producing credits? gtfo, pearl jam one of the best rock bands ever.

Yeah, Jeff will put on a big fight if the production gets too poppy and shiny. I put my trust in Jeff. Andrew Watt producing with Evans mixing? That could still be an option.
With Josh I think they had a employee who turned out to be their producer for Gigaton. But as a producer I think he mostly worked as an engineer or mixer. Gigaton has a lot of work done after recording. Post-production like ambience etc... I don't think he was creating with the band, or working on the songs before they recorded them. He just did an exceptional job at engineering and mixing. Exactly what BO'B was known for in the 90s...

I have no problem with them working with Watt. It could be interesting because Andrew Watt is a huge PJ fan. And Eddie trusts him. So maybe he's the only producer in the world who thinks like us other fans and dares to say to Eddie: 'Ed, you've been writing this rocker for PJ ever since 'Worldwide Suicide'. Let's work on vocals for that Stone instrumental you discarded before'.

The thing that excites me most however is that we are already talking about a new PJ record. Those years between LB and Gigaton were horrible, especially after the uninspired LB. All of a sudden we get killer grooves from Stone in Painted Shield, more Jeff solo work and 'Deaf Charlie' coming up, Eddie's full-band solo album, Flag Day and some singles, the Gigaton outtake 'get it back', Mike talking about unreleased PJ songs,....
We are in a new era for the band. Andrew Watt is a risk for the band, but Im glad they are taking some risks again.

PostPosted: Wed January 26, 2022 12:26 pm 
Broken Tamborine

joostone wrote:
more Jeff solo work and 'Deaf Charlie' coming up

Is there more Jeff solo work forthcoming or are you referring to his latest solo album?

PostPosted: Wed January 26, 2022 12:51 pm 
Banned from the Pit

https://www.julienslive.com/lot-details ... lot/175640

PostPosted: Wed January 26, 2022 1:23 pm 
AnalLog

thesound wrote:
joostone wrote:
more Jeff solo work and 'Deaf Charlie' coming up

Is there more Jeff solo work forthcoming or are you referring to his latest solo album?

I was referring to everything released since Gigaton. 'Deaf Charlie' is still coming up which also seems to have Jeff on vocals.

PostPosted: Wed January 26, 2022 1:51 pm 
known prankster

8.4 review from Pitchfork

PostPosted: Wed January 26, 2022 4:08 pm 
Broken Tamborine

lecherouslittlestump wrote:

interesting...Do you have the link?

PostPosted: Wed January 26, 2022 4:13 pm 
The Master

Habitman wrote:
lecherouslittlestump wrote:

interesting...Do you have the link?

:poke:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 4732 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 68, 69, 70, 71, 72, 73, 74 ... 237  Next

Board index » Watched from the Window ... » Side Tracked