The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Watched from the Window ... » Side Tracked

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 4732 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 69, 70, 71, 72, 73, 74, 75 ... 237  Next

I would give Earthling
5 stars 11%  11%  [ 12 ]
4 stars 53%  53%  [ 57 ]
3 stars 20%  20%  [ 22 ]
2 stars 7%  7%  [ 8 ]
1 star 4%  4%  [ 4 ]
0 stars 5%  5%  [ 5 ]
Total votes : 108
 Post subject: Re: Eddie Vedder - Earthling
PostPosted: Wed January 26, 2022 4:42 pm 
Fake NYC Setlist Relayer

Monkey_Driven wrote:
Habitman wrote:
lecherouslittlestump wrote:
8.4 review from Pitchfork

interesting...Do you have the link?

:poke:

If the review is anything more than a 2.5 that is a major win for Eddie Vedder. Pitchfork hates him and Pearl Jam like the plague.

PostPosted: Wed January 26, 2022 4:57 pm 
AnalLog

liebzz wrote:
Monkey_Driven wrote:
Habitman wrote:

If the review is anything more than a 2.5 that is a major win for Eddie Vedder. Pitchfork hates him and Pearl Jam like the plague.

True. But for some reason the Pitchfork indie music snobs are really really into hit parade pop music nowadays. And since this Andrew Watt guy worked with Miley Cyrus, Bieber, Dua Lipa or Lana Del Rey... who knows what Pitchfork thinks of this..

PostPosted: Wed January 26, 2022 5:04 pm 
AnalLog

joostone wrote:
warehouse wrote:
thesound wrote:
As an album I prefer Backspacer over Lightning Bolt but perhaps it is partly because Lightning Bolt came after BS and I was not expecting or wanting Backspacer 2.0. It felt kind of lazy and paint by numbers and the production is horrible.

I’m still hoping the comment about Watt producing the next PJ album was a slip up and that Josh Evans will be back. This is where my hope lies.

warehouse wrote:
i'm counting on jeff to put this watt guy in his place if anything goes sideways in the studio.

I’m still holding some dying hope that it isn’t true that Watt is producing... and if he is, I hope you are right but I fear that these days the other band members simply accept Ed is in charge and they appear to seek creative outlet in their solo records and side projects.

i would prefer they record with josh evans again. i'm still in love with gigaton and shocked they released their most experimental album in decades. if evans gets these results out of the band, i would give him another shot. if they do end up going with andrew watt, i'm not totally against it. i think the sound of ed's new songs is great, even if the songwriting isn't. and while it was kind of a joke, wtf is andrew watt going to say to jeff ament if there's an issue? flaunt his miley cirus producing credits? gtfo, pearl jam one of the best rock bands ever.

Yeah, Jeff will put on a big fight if the production gets too poppy and shiny. I put my trust in Jeff. Andrew Watt producing with Evans mixing? That could still be an option.
With Josh I think they had a employee who turned out to be their producer for Gigaton. But as a producer I think he mostly worked as an engineer or mixer. Gigaton has a lot of work done after recording. Post-production like ambience etc... I don't think he was creating with the band, or working on the songs before they recorded them. He just did an exceptional job at engineering and mixing. Exactly what BO'B was known for in the 90s...

I have no problem with them working with Watt. It could be interesting because Andrew Watt is a huge PJ fan. And Eddie trusts him. So maybe he's the only producer in the world who thinks like us other fans and dares to say to Eddie: 'Ed, you've been writing this rocker for PJ ever since 'Worldwide Suicide'. Let's work on vocals for that Stone instrumental you discarded before'.

The thing that excites me most however is that we are already talking about a new PJ record. Those years between LB and Gigaton were horrible, especially after the uninspired LB. All of a sudden we get killer grooves from Stone in Painted Shield, more Jeff solo work and 'Deaf Charlie' coming up, Eddie's full-band solo album, Flag Day and some singles, the Gigaton outtake 'get it back', Mike talking about unreleased PJ songs,....
We are in a new era for the band. Andrew Watt is a risk for the band, but Im glad they are taking some risks again.

Oh and... Andrew Watt also produced the latest Ozzy Osbourne 'Ordinary Man'. Hardly the prince of darkness anymore, hardrock with a pop edge. Probably not a great record, but I will check it out just to hear how the drums or guitars sound. Ill also check Andrew Watt solo EP 'Ghost in my Head'.

Last edited by joostone on Wed January 26, 2022 5:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed January 26, 2022 5:08 pm 
She / Her

Jeff won't do anything except silently lol if the production ends up being poppy; he has taste but like the rest of the band, is polite to a fault

PostPosted: Wed January 26, 2022 5:39 pm 
Fake NYC Setlist Relayer

Ms Harmless wrote:
Jeff won't do anything except silently lol if the production ends up being poppy; he has taste but like the rest of the band, is polite to a fault

Maybe like any other office, Jeff is just happy to deal with easy-to-work-with Ed.

PostPosted: Wed January 26, 2022 5:45 pm 
Broken Tamborine

liebzz wrote:
Monkey_Driven wrote:
Habitman wrote:

They gave 6.2 for Gigaton and 6.4 for Ukulele Songs. It's not that bad :lol:

PostPosted: Wed January 26, 2022 6:43 pm 
Rank This Poster

anytime ive read pitchfork reviewing anything related to pearl jam they come across like the guys in pearl jam personally pick on them in high school.

PostPosted: Wed January 26, 2022 6:45 pm 
Rank This Poster

Tj wrote:
I want David Bottrill or Lindsey Buckingham to produce the next album. I think Watt could do a good job though. I read someone say Gigaton was the most experimental the band has been in along time. Backspacer is a far more experimental album. So is Riot Act and Binaural as well as No Code and Vitalogy. Gigaton maybe one of their least experimental works.

that was me. i think its the most experimental since binaural. unless we are including experiments with shitty pop songs.

PostPosted: Wed January 26, 2022 6:55 pm 
AnalLog

I actually like Brother the Cloud now, so that's a positive thing.

PostPosted: Wed January 26, 2022 7:50 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

I heard someone say Gigaton is their most experimental album in a long time, but what about (names record from twenty years ago)

PostPosted: Wed January 26, 2022 8:16 pm 
Troglodyte
 WWW  Profile

Ransom98 wrote:
https://www.julienslive.com/lot-details/index/catalog/383/lot/175640

PostPosted: Wed January 26, 2022 8:50 pm 
AnalLog

McParadigm wrote:
I heard someone say Gigaton is their most experimental album in a long time, but what about (names record from twenty years ago)

I specifically mentioned Backspacer which was 13 years ago not 20. I also mentioned other albums for context. My point was simply Gigaton is not experimental. It has two songs that take things into new territory for the band. LB and S/T offer much in that regard. I will never understand the love affair with Gigaton I never need to hear anything after the first 3 again. The first 3 are fantastic.

PostPosted: Wed January 26, 2022 9:30 pm 
Broken Tamborine

Tj wrote:
McParadigm wrote:

I specifically mentioned Backspacer which was 13 years ago not 20. I also mentioned other albums for context. My point was simply Gigaton is not experimental. It has two songs that take things into new territory for the band. LB and S/T offer much in that regard. I will never understand the love affair with Gigaton I never need to hear anything after the first 3 again. The first 3 are fantastic.

Gigaton:

Who Ever Said: The bridge is longer than any other part of the song (so is it really a bridge?)
SBWM: song structure has no logical pattern, we dont know which one is verse or chorus
DotC: too experimental for PJ
Quick Escape: Ok
Alright: a jewels box sound loop with some synthetizer string quartet
Seven O'Clock: I cant see any similar song in PJ catalog
Never Destination: more denials
Take The Long Way: weird tempo Soundgarden alike
Buckle Up: trumpets
Come then Goes: Ok
Retrograde: the ending is orchestrical (?)
River Cross: nice organ based song

LB:

Getaway = a worst Rearviewmirror
Mind Your Manners = Spin the Black Circle
My Father Son: the lack of guitars chords is interesting
Sirens = Bon Jovi
Lightning Bolt = Unthought Known = any palm mute Ed song
Infallible: maybe the most experimental of the album
Pendulum: actually this is the most experimental
Swallowed Whole = Into The Wild
Sleeping By Myself = duh?
Yellow Moon = Low Light
Future Days = The End

Backspacer:

Gonna See My Friend = The Who
Got Some = Arctic Monkeys + Devo
The Fixer = Yeah yeah
Johnny Guitar: could be developed
Just Breathe = Toulummne
Amongst The Waves = Given to Fly
Unthought Known = any palm mute Ed song
Supersonic = Comatose but shitter
Speed of Sound: that one added some new elements to PJ catalog
Force of Nature = pop vibes
The End = Ends

Self titled is better regarding experimental directions: Severed Hand, Marker in the Sand, Parachutes, Inside Job... compared to the last 3...

And please don't get me wrong, I love all these songs and albums.. :luv:

PostPosted: Wed January 26, 2022 10:31 pm 
The Master

Does anyone ever consider that Jeff Ament actually also wants to work with Watt? And that maybe he loves ed as a songwriter too?

Or, jeff makes more eclectic music, eds new songs suck, ergo Jeff hates pop music and is some sort of cuck just going along with having watt produce a new pj record?

PostPosted: Wed January 26, 2022 10:38 pm 
Rank This Poster

I can't speak for anyone besides myself, but I think the fact that these new songs from Eddie contain many of the lyrical, vocal, musical and production choices that made the two pre-Gigaton PJ records a rougher listen compared to Gigaton. Given that, I'd rather not sub Evans for Watt, and makes me wonder if Eddie might be the main driver behind some of those choices, if they're showing up his newest solo work and largely absent from the band's. They've released three of 13 songs from Earthling, so while it's entirely possible the album ends up being good, it's not like we're speculating based on nothing, either.

Last edited by digster on Wed January 26, 2022 10:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Wed January 26, 2022 10:38 pm 
She / Her

I feel like Jeff probably wants to make more complex music (so he does), but he also likes Ed's songs; I have no evidence otherwise

PostPosted: Wed January 26, 2022 10:48 pm 
AnalLog

gardenparty wrote:
I actually like Brother the Cloud now, so that's a positive thing.

I'm really liking it. Sometimes I get a Lightning Bolt (the song) feel and often I have Amongst the Waves in my head when I finish listening. There is some retreading here, but I look forward to each listen. Someone earlier discussed the quality of the ending and how impressive it is for Ed to get that after 30+ years of a career and I can't agree more.

At first it felt like a bunch of disparate parts thrown together, ala SBWM, but it all clicked and I'm digging it.

PostPosted: Wed January 26, 2022 11:31 pm 
The worst

digster wrote:
I can't speak for anyone besides myself, but I think the fact that these new songs from Eddie contain many of the lyrical, vocal, musical and production choices that made the two pre-Gigaton PJ records a rougher listen compared to Gigaton. Given that, I'd rather not sub Evans for Watt, and makes me wonder if Eddie might be the main driver behind some of those choices, if they're showing up his newest solo work and largely absent from the band's. They've released three of 13 songs from Earthling, so while it's entirely possible the album ends up being good, it's not like we're speculating based on nothing, either.

Some of it is almost certainly Eddie's instincts, but I suspect the time that lapsed on Gigaton made a difference as well. Eddie's been pretty candid in recent interviews that he is prioritizing time with family and writing is something he knocks out when he has a moment. Being able to record something, and then have the time to come back with it so the song can evolve, weaker lyrics can be replaced with better ones (again, the writing on Gigaton is generally very strong), performances can layer, etc. has to make a difference.

I Am No Guide - Pearl Jam Song by Song - Coming this July!
He/Him/His

PostPosted: Thu January 27, 2022 12:11 am 
jeeeesus relax already

Damn, im loving Brother The Cloud so fucking much.

Cant wait for the album.

PostPosted: Thu January 27, 2022 12:19 am 
Future Drummer

VinylGuy wrote:
Damn, im loving Brother The Cloud so fucking much.

Cant wait for the album.

It's really good.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 4732 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 69, 70, 71, 72, 73, 74, 75 ... 237  Next

Board index » Watched from the Window ... » Side Tracked