The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Watched from the Window ... » Side Tracked

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 4732 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 65, 66, 67, 68, 69, 70, 71 ... 237  Next

I would give Earthling
5 stars 11%  11%  [ 12 ]
4 stars 53%  53%  [ 56 ]
3 stars 20%  20%  [ 21 ]
2 stars 8%  8%  [ 8 ]
1 star 4%  4%  [ 4 ]
0 stars 5%  5%  [ 5 ]
Total votes : 106
 Post subject: Re: Eddie Vedder - Earthling
PostPosted: Sun January 23, 2022 1:15 am 
jeeeesus relax already

Thurman Murman wrote:
VinylGuy wrote:
yeah, i think the main reason everyone hates it is because it was a lead single for an album that ultimately didnt happen.

I don't hate it because the album didn't happen. I hate it because it was completely uninspiring after a long 5 year wait from what i deem to be the worst Pearl Jam album.

For the first time in my life it made me feel like the band was more or less done putting out anything interesting or even remotely challenging...its associating that "feeling" with CDM more than almost anything else that makes me just hate it.

The Haves on the other hand is just low stakes to me. Not liking it doesn't really mean anything.

yeah, i was pointing out that it was a huge let down because of the all the time that had passed.

PostPosted: Sun January 23, 2022 1:39 am 
likes rhythmic things that butt up against each other

CDM-PTSD???

Cmon just give in to The Haves. Tramps like us baby, We were Born to Ruuuun.

PostPosted: Sun January 23, 2022 2:55 am 
The Master

CDM lacked self awareness. I dont doubt that the band FELT the message or Ed felt the message was important or necessary at the time. Im sure they felt it necessary to make a statement for the times. I dont question the motivation.

What i question is the self awareness about their ability as musicians and a band. Two albums in almost 10 years at that point. Lightning Bolt clearly being a step below what they are capable of/had done. No new music. It was time for them to make a statement....

And their statement after not having released music in years....

Was.....

Cant Deny Me? Musically bland limp dick bullshit. "HEY WERE BACK LISTEN TO THIS!!!"

UGH.

Thank God they gave us something with more meat on it with gigaton than that.

PostPosted: Sun January 23, 2022 3:06 am 
The Master

tragabigzanda wrote:
Vedder oeuvre

PostPosted: Sun January 23, 2022 3:50 am 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

I appreciate that The Haves has brought us all closer together.

PostPosted: Sun January 23, 2022 12:14 pm 
likes rhythmic things that butt up against each other

“The haves” is riddled with poor vedderoeuvres

PostPosted: Sun January 23, 2022 1:54 pm 
Rank This Poster

Can't Deny Me sounds like they rushed into the studio to make a protest song. i just heard it, its absolutely not any better than i remembered

The Halves kinda reminds me of 'parachutes', just not as good. the music and delivery are clear EV love song stuff, so i can see why people like it. i've been ignoring the lyrics. this one is better than i remembered, better than the first single but not as good as 'brother the cloud'

PostPosted: Sun January 23, 2022 2:43 pm 
mXn

liebzz wrote:
I have never felt so solidly worried for Pearl Jam’s future than now. It could just be misplaced due to directions Eddie Vedder is taking with his solo career but when you combine that short maybe month period where Vedder released The Haves as a single and then announced a short tour where you had to be a Have just to enter the lottery to possibly be chosen for a ticket that would cost nearly $500 for a pair of tickets, it seemed like this was the breaking point. Brother the Cloud might have very short term relaxed some of that anxiety but I feel less hopeful that the same person who is putting the kind of shine on Eddie that grocery stores put on their apples to make them look tastier than they are is going to produce a Pearl Jam record is deeply concerning.

At least Can’t Deny Me tried even if it failed.

So what you’re saying is: It does get Eddie Vedder than this

PostPosted: Sun January 23, 2022 2:58 pm 
Broken Tamborine

Uninspired is maybe a better word than disingenuous for CDM, but I do feel like there is an element of disingenuousness about CDM. I don’t doubt the band’s and Eddie’s stance on the message of the song and general political alignment. I doubt the genuineness of the flavor of anger and how they expressed it in that song. That’s what led it to feeling like such a facsimile of older songs that authentically captured that energy and sentiment; a poor attempt at trying to sound angry and rebellious because they thought they had to. Just listen to Gigaton and hear how different the message is even though it deals with much of the same issues. There is some anger and sadness in Gigaton, but there is more hope and resolve to dig deep and do the work that’s needed to lift us up together. I don’t doubt that the band felt anger at what was happening in the world when they made CDM, but I don’t think anger was the primary prism they saw or felt the world in, which is what led to such an inauthentic song, musically and lyrically.

One positive thought I like to have is that maybe CDM was a necessary exercise for them to cleanse their systems and get clear on what they truly felt and inspired them. Maybe it took Eddie CDM to realize anger is not the primary feeling in his soul at the moment. Maybe CDM was necessary for Gigaton to happen.

PostPosted: Sun January 23, 2022 4:03 pm 
Fake NYC Setlist Relayer

Bammer wrote:
liebzz wrote:
I have never felt so solidly worried for Pearl Jam’s future than now. It could just be misplaced due to directions Eddie Vedder is taking with his solo career but when you combine that short maybe month period where Vedder released The Haves as a single and then announced a short tour where you had to be a Have just to enter the lottery to possibly be chosen for a ticket that would cost nearly $500 for a pair of tickets, it seemed like this was the breaking point. Brother the Cloud might have very short term relaxed some of that anxiety but I feel less hopeful that the same person who is putting the kind of shine on Eddie that grocery stores put on their apples to make them look tastier than they are is going to produce a Pearl Jam record is deeply concerning.

At least Can’t Deny Me tried even if it failed.

So what you’re saying is: It does get Eddie Vedder than this

Yes, Pearl Jam need to make Aments with the fact that perhaps he’s not the creative force he used to be, while leaving no Stone unturned as to where the inspiration comes from. Don’t be afraid to go to the Matt for this. Mike it happen.

PostPosted: Sun January 23, 2022 4:13 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

"Mike it happen"

You're a legend.

PostPosted: Sun January 23, 2022 4:22 pm 
Fake NYC Setlist Relayer

epilogue wrote:
"Mike it happen"

You're a legend.

*Boom*

PostPosted: Sun January 23, 2022 5:44 pm 
AnalLog

liebzz wrote:
epilogue wrote:
"Mike it happen"

You're a legend.

*Boom*

Oh my Josh that was good.

PostPosted: Sun January 23, 2022 5:45 pm 
The worst

Fattie_Vedder wrote:
Uninspired is maybe a better word than disingenuous for CDM, but I do feel like there is an element of disingenuousness about CDM. I don’t doubt the band’s and Eddie’s stance on the message of the song and general political alignment. I doubt the genuineness of the flavor of anger and how they expressed it in that song. That’s what led it to feeling like such a facsimile of older songs that authentically captured that energy and sentiment; a poor attempt at trying to sound angry and rebellious because they thought they had to. Just listen to Gigaton and hear how different the message is even though it deals with much of the same issues. There is some anger and sadness in Gigaton, but there is more hope and resolve to dig deep and do the work that’s needed to lift us up together. I don’t doubt that the band felt anger at what was happening in the world when they made CDM, but I don’t think anger was the primary prism they saw or felt the world in, which is what led to such an inauthentic song, musically and lyrically.

One positive thought I like to have is that maybe CDM was a necessary exercise for them to cleanse their systems and get clear on what they truly felt and inspired them. Maybe it took Eddie CDM to realize anger is not the primary feeling in his soul at the moment. Maybe CDM was necessary for Gigaton to happen.

facsimile is a good descriptor

Running TSIS Review

I Am No Guide - Pearl Jam Song by Song - Coming this July!
He/Him/His

PostPosted: Sun January 23, 2022 6:30 pm 
Fake NYC Setlist Relayer

guitar_davey wrote:
liebzz wrote:
epilogue wrote:
"Mike it happen"

You're a legend.

*Boom*

Oh my Josh that was good.

It was a real Klinghoffer

PostPosted: Mon January 24, 2022 12:26 am 
The Master

if nothing else, you can hear the effort poured into The Haves. CDM is legitimately insulting for its lack of substance dressed up with the sounds of anger.

PostPosted: Mon January 24, 2022 12:27 am 
NYUCK NYUCK NYUCK

tragabigzanda wrote:
if nothing else, you can hear the effort poured into The Haves.

Where?!?

PostPosted: Mon January 24, 2022 12:31 am 
Rank This Poster

I just listened to Can't Deny Me for the first time in quite a while, and while it's a dumpster fire, the way Eddie catapults himself into the song with the first line and whatever Jeff is doing during the chorus are both two interesting/cool moments, which is two more than The Haves. Those would lead me to pick CDM, though I don't really feel a need to return to either.

PostPosted: Mon January 24, 2022 12:34 am 
The Master

Jorge wrote:
tragabigzanda wrote:
if nothing else, you can hear the effort poured into The Haves.

Where?!?

he's working really hard just to keep the whole idea together!

PostPosted: Mon January 24, 2022 12:42 am 
Stone's Bitch

Spoiler: show
Condition?
Spoiler: show
CRITICAL

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 4732 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 65, 66, 67, 68, 69, 70, 71 ... 237  Next

Board index » Watched from the Window ... » Side Tracked