The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Watched from the Window ... » Pearl Jam

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2489 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 85, 86, 87, 88, 89, 90, 91 ... 125  Next

Rate the new songs
Pearl Jam is no longer allowed to track their albums: 56%  56%  [ 66 ]
Pearl Jam is no longer allowed to track their albums: 13%  13%  [ 15 ]
Pearl Jam is no longer allowed to track their albums: 9%  9%  [ 11 ]
Pearl Jam is no longer allowed to track their albums: 13%  13%  [ 15 ]
Pearl Jam is no longer allowed to track their albums: 9%  9%  [ 10 ]
Total votes : 117
 Post subject: Re: Cold Confession and Let It Ride - Avocado Outtakes
PostPosted: Thu August 01, 2013 5:41 pm 
10Club Complaint Department

stip wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:
southp wrote:
stip wrote:
i'd throw S/T in there as well. This is oversimplifying but Ten, Vs, S/T, and Backspacer are very external albums--the energy on them is projected outward. They are confrontational and immediate. No Code, Yield, Binaural and Riot Act are interior albums. The energy on those records is turned inward. Even then anthems have a quiet, self-directed quality to them that is much less prominent on those other records.

Vitalogy splits the difference, which is probably why everyone loves it so much. If I had to put it in one of those categories I think it is more internal than external.

Well articulated. I might suggest that Yield is also on the fence with Vitalogy, but it's your theory so I'll leave my opinions out of it.

So based on what we've heard and know, is LB going to be inward or external? And what is preferred?

I don't know if I have a preference. But I'm leaning toward inward for LB.

i would guess external since that seems to be the writing cycle they are in.

What I think they're really missing at the moment is introversion, poetry and genuine emotion. It sounds contrived when they try to create that emotion 'for an audience' as opposed to just because they felt it. That's what 'Unthought Known' was: an 'emotional' external song, focussed entirely on a stadium crowd.

PostPosted: Thu August 01, 2013 5:43 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

Heathen wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:
stip wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:
southp wrote:
stip wrote:
i'd throw S/T in there as well. This is oversimplifying but Ten, Vs, S/T, and Backspacer are very external albums--the energy on them is projected outward. They are confrontational and immediate. No Code, Yield, Binaural and Riot Act are interior albums. The energy on those records is turned inward. Even then anthems have a quiet, self-directed quality to them that is much less prominent on those other records.

Vitalogy splits the difference, which is probably why everyone loves it so much. If I had to put it in one of those categories I think it is more internal than external.

Well articulated. I might suggest that Yield is also on the fence with Vitalogy, but it's your theory so I'll leave my opinions out of it.

So based on what we've heard and know, is LB going to be inward or external? And what is preferred?

I don't know if I have a preference. But I'm leaning toward inward for LB.

i would guess external since that seems to be the writing cycle they are in.

But the three we've heard so far are pretty internal.

you think MYM is not confrontational and immediate?

Sure, but why can't confrontational and immediate also be internal?

PostPosted: Thu August 01, 2013 5:44 pm 

MYM feels internal because it seems Ed is really speaking from his heart in it. That's what we were missing in Backspacer.

PostPosted: Thu August 01, 2013 5:47 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

harmless wrote:
MYM feels internal because it seems Ed is really speaking from his heart in it. That's what we were missing in Backspacer.

Exactly. It's not Whipping or Bushleaguer. The song is very much about the speaker's emotions and perspective.

PostPosted: Thu August 01, 2013 5:49 pm 
The worst

for me (at least) internal and external really has more to do with the confidence and authority behind the message, rather than any authenticity behind it. I suspect Just Breathe and The End are very personal songs, authentically felt, but they are sung in a way that lacks the hesitation you might have found on present tense, for instance. It's the difference between working out an idea and sharing an idea. Release, for instance, is a song about being lost, but it is still dominated by a steely sense of presence. I am lost HERE, and it is the rest of the world that doesn't know where it is. Compare that to Man of the Hour, an equally personal song, but far more hesitant

Running TSIS Review

I Am No Guide - Pearl Jam Song by Song - Coming this July!
He/Him/His

PostPosted: Thu August 01, 2013 5:50 pm 
The worst

durdencommatyler wrote:
harmless wrote:

Exactly. It's not Whipping or Bushleaguer. The song is very much about the speaker's emotions and perspective.

I think that might just be an example of better songwriting than anything else

Running TSIS Review

He/Him/His

PostPosted: Thu August 01, 2013 5:52 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

stip wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:
harmless wrote:

What do you mean?

PostPosted: Thu August 01, 2013 5:54 pm 
The worst

durdencommatyler wrote:
stip wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:
harmless wrote:

What do you mean?

whipping and mind your manners are both a pretty broad generalized attack on something Eddie doesn't like about society. I don't think it is any more heartfelt or personalized than Whipping. It may just be better written. I have no doubt that Bushleaguer meant more to Eddie than either of those two songs, given the savage hatred he had for them, but the end result just wasn't compelling

Running TSIS Review

He/Him/His

PostPosted: Thu August 01, 2013 5:55 pm 

stip wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:
harmless wrote:

I don't think MYM has better songwriting than Bushleaguer or Whipping. It's just different.

In fact, the Whipping lyrics are structurally similar to The Fixer's: "I don't want X, I want Y" / "When something's X, let me put a little Y on it". Contrasts. Except that Whipping is a much better song.

LOL. When I was writing that I thought of "If something's XXX, let me put a little KY on it."

PostPosted: Thu August 01, 2013 5:57 pm 

stip wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:
stip wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:
harmless wrote:

What do you mean?

whipping and mind your manners are both a pretty broad generalized attack on something Eddie doesn't like about society. I don't think it is any more heartfelt or personalized than Whipping. It may just be better written. I have no doubt that Bushleaguer meant more to Eddie than either of those two songs, given the savage hatred he had for them, but the end result just wasn't compelling

Again, that's purely subjective. I disagree that those songs aren't compelling. I find Bushleaguer to be full of biting satire that's nasty, snarky and hilarious. The funniest MYM gets is the call-and-response ending.

PostPosted: Thu August 01, 2013 5:59 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

stip wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:
stip wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:
harmless wrote:

What do you mean?

Well, however you (or Ed feels, for that matter) feel about those three songs, all I'm saying is that Whipping and Bushleaguer are externalized "narratives" or "stories" or songs, and MYM is internalized "narrative" or "storytelling" or songwriting.

PostPosted: Thu August 01, 2013 6:00 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

I guess I'm having trouble seeing what quality has to do with perspective in regards to this discussion.

PostPosted: Thu August 01, 2013 6:01 pm 

durdencommatyler wrote:
I guess I'm having trouble seeing what quality has to do with perspective in regards to this discussion.

It doesn't, really, I'm just defending those songs.

PostPosted: Thu August 01, 2013 6:02 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

harmless wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:

Oh, I'm with you 100%. Totally picking up what you're putting down. That comment was directed toward Stip.

PostPosted: Thu August 01, 2013 6:02 pm 

Has Lightning Bolt leaked since we started this discussion? Can someone check?

PostPosted: Thu August 01, 2013 6:03 pm 
The worst

durdencommatyler wrote:

i dont' see MYM as an internalized song the way that you (and harmless?) seem to. I find it to be quite similar to a song like whipping or bushleaguer. That's why if you feel that mYM is a direction you want to see them move in that it may just be a question of better execution of a similar song.

I could be misunderstanding you, though. Does that make sense?

Running TSIS Review

He/Him/His

PostPosted: Thu August 01, 2013 6:03 pm 
Rank This Poster

harmless wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:

All three songs are of Ed critiquing someone or something that he seems to personally disagree with. I'm really not following the differentiation.

PostPosted: Thu August 01, 2013 6:04 pm 

It's one of those things where I was following the differentiation once, but I can't remember what it was now.

PostPosted: Thu August 01, 2013 6:05 pm 

Basically it would be cool if I lived in the US, and then we could continue with alcohol.

PostPosted: Thu August 01, 2013 6:08 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

Thejambi wrote:
harmless wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:

All three songs are of Ed critiquing someone or something that he seems to personally disagree with. I'm really not following the differentiation.

I guess because, to me, there is an effort, a search going on in MYM. He isn't just railing against something. Sure, that's there, that's a big part of it. But there's an exploration, a movement toward understanding in the song that isn't there in songs that I'm calling more "external" like Whipping and Bushleaguer. His mind is made up in those songs and he's acting in accordance.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2489 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 85, 86, 87, 88, 89, 90, 91 ... 125  Next

Board index » Watched from the Window ... » Pearl Jam