The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Watched from the Window ... » Pearl Jam

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2489 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 84, 85, 86, 87, 88, 89, 90 ... 125  Next

Rate the new songs
Pearl Jam is no longer allowed to track their albums: 56%  56%  [ 66 ]
Pearl Jam is no longer allowed to track their albums: 13%  13%  [ 15 ]
Pearl Jam is no longer allowed to track their albums: 9%  9%  [ 11 ]
Pearl Jam is no longer allowed to track their albums: 13%  13%  [ 15 ]
Pearl Jam is no longer allowed to track their albums: 9%  9%  [ 10 ]
Total votes : 117
 Post subject: Re: Cold Confession and Let It Ride - Avocado Outtakes
PostPosted: Wed July 31, 2013 12:26 pm 
The worst

i like all the songs gob said he didn't (even sweet lew). But I respect his taste in albums!

Running TSIS Review

I Am No Guide - Pearl Jam Song by Song - Coming this July!
He/Him/His

PostPosted: Wed July 31, 2013 12:34 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

Well sure I respect what he's saying about the middle albums. And he' probably not wrong in the sense that there is a shift in energy and focus and tone on those middle records. They don't have the same thrust that Ten, Vs and Vitalogy share. But they're still some damn great records. And I think had they made one more album with that same energy, it would have been a misstep by the band.

Backspacer has a different energy though, too.

PostPosted: Wed July 31, 2013 2:08 pm 
Poster of the Year

Birds in Hell wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:
Help Help is so fucking good.

You're goddamn right it is.

:bammer:

PostPosted: Wed July 31, 2013 6:46 pm 
Misplaced My Sponge

cutuphalfdead wrote:
Birds in Hell wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:

:thumbsup:

PostPosted: Wed July 31, 2013 9:10 pm 
AnalLog

darth_vedder wrote:
cutuphalfdead wrote:
Birds in Hell wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:

:thumbsup:

PostPosted: Wed July 31, 2013 9:30 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

durdencommatyler wrote:
Well sure I respect what he's saying about the middle albums. And he' probably not wrong in the sense that there is a shift in energy and focus and tone on those middle records. They don't have the same thrust that Ten, Vs and Vitalogy share. But they're still some damn great records. And I think had they made one more album with that same energy, it would have been a misstep by the band.

Listening to the catalog as I wrote today, I'm gonna go ahead and say that Vitalogy has a very different energy as well. So it's really only two albums that I'd say have the same certain level of energy to them, though those records sound fantastically different, too. So....

PostPosted: Thu August 01, 2013 2:25 pm 
AnalLog

durdencommatyler wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:

Listening to the catalog as I wrote today, I'm gonna go ahead and say that Vitalogy has a very different energy as well. So it's really only two albums that I'd say have the same certain level of energy to them, though those records sound fantastically different, too. So....

Even after thinking about it for a few minutes I can't even figure out which albums you're talking about that have the same energy to them. If we're talking about Binaural and RA, I don't see a comparison. That's what makes this band so great... something different every time out.

I agree with the original comment that it would've been bad to make another grunge-y album after Vitalogy... they could've cornered themselves into a niche and probably imploded. It's a major reason why Dave A had to go... or maybe just because he broke Eddie's guitar :lol:

PostPosted: Thu August 01, 2013 2:41 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

southp wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:

Even after thinking about it for a few minutes I can't even figure out which albums you're talking about that have the same energy to them. If we're talking about Binaural and RA, I don't see a comparison. That's what makes this band so great... something different every time out.

I agree with the original comment that it would've been bad to make another grunge-y album after Vitalogy... they could've cornered themselves into a niche and probably imploded. It's a major reason why Dave A had to go... or maybe just because he broke Eddie's guitar :lol:

I was initially responding to a post that said the first three albums shared an energy that has been absent ever since (though Backspacer is the closest thing). I disagree with that idea. But I do see how Ten and Vs share a certain kind of energy eventhough they sound different. We can call it "grungy." I'm fine with that.

PostPosted: Thu August 01, 2013 2:45 pm 
AnalLog

Would No Code be an experimental energy or schizophrenic?

PostPosted: Thu August 01, 2013 2:46 pm 
The worst

i'd throw S/T in there as well. This is oversimplifying but Ten, Vs, S/T, and Backspacer are very external albums--the energy on them is projected outward. They are confrontational and immediate. No Code, Yield, Binaural and Riot Act are interior albums. The energy on those records is turned inward. Even then anthems have a quiet, self-directed quality to them that is much less prominent on those other records.

Vitalogy splits the difference, which is probably why everyone loves it so much. If I had to put it in one of those categories I think it is more internal than external.

Running TSIS Review

He/Him/His

PostPosted: Thu August 01, 2013 2:55 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

If that's how we're defining energy, then I won't argue.

PostPosted: Thu August 01, 2013 2:56 pm 
The worst

well, it is A way to define it, at any rate

Running TSIS Review

He/Him/His

PostPosted: Thu August 01, 2013 3:04 pm 
Rank This Poster

stip wrote:
i'd throw S/T in there as well. This is oversimplifying but Ten, Vs, S/T, and Backspacer are very external albums--the energy on them is projected outward. They are confrontational and immediate. No Code, Yield, Binaural and Riot Act are interior albums. The energy on those records is turned inward. Even then anthems have a quiet, self-directed quality to them that is much less prominent on those other records.

Vitalogy splits the difference, which is probably why everyone loves it so much. If I had to put it in one of those categories I think it is more internal than external.

I like this post alot stip.

PostPosted: Thu August 01, 2013 3:06 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

stip wrote:
well, it is A way to define it, at any rate

Indeed and you defended that definition with aplomb.

PostPosted: Thu August 01, 2013 3:23 pm 
AnalLog

stip wrote:

Well articulated. I might suggest that Yield is also on the fence with Vitalogy, but it's your theory so I'll leave my opinions out of it.

So based on what we've heard and know, is LB going to be inward or external? And what is preferred?

PostPosted: Thu August 01, 2013 3:28 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

southp wrote:
stip wrote:

Well articulated. I might suggest that Yield is also on the fence with Vitalogy, but it's your theory so I'll leave my opinions out of it.

So based on what we've heard and know, is LB going to be inward or external? And what is preferred?

I don't know if I have a preference. But I'm leaning toward inward for LB.

PostPosted: Thu August 01, 2013 3:44 pm 
AnalLog

I seem to be incapable of growing tired of these two, CC and LIR. Playing them over and over day by day

PostPosted: Thu August 01, 2013 5:36 pm 
The worst

durdencommatyler wrote:
southp wrote:
stip wrote:

i would guess external since that seems to be the writing cycle they are in.

Running TSIS Review

He/Him/His

PostPosted: Thu August 01, 2013 5:38 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

stip wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:
southp wrote:
stip wrote:

But the three we've heard so far are pretty internal.

PostPosted: Thu August 01, 2013 5:40 pm 
Rank This Poster

durdencommatyler wrote:
stip wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:
southp wrote:
stip wrote:

But the three we've heard so far are pretty internal.

you think MYM is not confrontational and immediate?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2489 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 84, 85, 86, 87, 88, 89, 90 ... 125  Next

Board index » Watched from the Window ... » Pearl Jam