The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Watched from the Window ... » Pearl Jam

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1574 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 79  Next

Rate future days
5 stars 8%  8%  [ 7 ]
4 stars 9%  9%  [ 8 ]
3 stars 20%  20%  [ 19 ]
2 stars 24%  24%  [ 22 ]
1 star 40%  40%  [ 37 ]
Total votes : 93
 Post subject: Re: New Song: Future Days (Lightning Bolt)
PostPosted: Sat July 20, 2013 2:12 pm 
The Master

I didnt see a video where he stated this was from the new album. Are we sure this isn't one of his "out of the furnace" tracks?

PostPosted: Sat July 20, 2013 2:18 pm 
10Club Complaint Department

Strat wrote:
I didnt see a video where he stated this was from the new album. Are we sure this isn't one of his "out of the furnace" tracks?

I hope so, but he didn't say that either, so neither thing is more likely.

PostPosted: Sat July 20, 2013 2:19 pm 
Banned from the Pit

I'll only say this song, while it has some pretty lines, it overall sucks because it never gets off of the ground. It's just there and that piano outro makes me want to vomit Team America Gary-style. An earlier poster stated either Mike or Stone throws in a cool lick, then it's never there again. It could have possibly worked if they went the route of Fatal. Otherwise, I am not impressed at all and fear this band is creatively dead.

PostPosted: Sat July 20, 2013 2:32 pm 
The Master

shit, i just watched the version from the head post. This definitely is on the new record :\

PostPosted: Sat July 20, 2013 2:34 pm 
The Master

Although the sound quality is much better and the lead lines are kind of nice and country-ish.

James Taylor fucked backspacer and into the wild and we got this song.

PostPosted: Sat July 20, 2013 2:34 pm 
likes rhythmic things that butt up against each other

Alright, so I was there, and on the field, and got to hear a very crystal clear version of the song. My initial thoughts:

This is a step forward and continued progress for the band. The song has lift, dynamics, slower sections with melody, and then the rocking parts that take the song to a different place. Not sure if it comes through on the YouTube audio, but there are some nice Binaural era arpeggios going on. And Mike is using an ebow and just shredding it. I'm not sure we've ever seen him use that. Maybe comes from his soundtrack work. If I were to describe it, I'd say its Binaural meets Backspacer. It still has the melodic tightness I like in Backspacer (which I'm a fan of, suck it haters) but some added song structure from the Ed binaural tracks. The hook of the song is Backspacer and the jam is Binaural live era to me. Just my opinion. I think this is what Mike was talking about as an extension of Backspacer. It takes some of the stuff they developed and stretched it out, made it jammier and more solos.

I know some people want them to go backwards like No Code era or something. But to me that's akin to when Ten era fans got mad when they got into the middle period. They've been through this before.

Oops, this was supposed to be for Lightning Bolt. Don't know how to fix, I'm on an iPad.

Last edited by Tuolumne on Sat July 20, 2013 2:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat July 20, 2013 2:35 pm 

Strat wrote:
shit, i just watched the version from the head post. This definitely is on the new record :\

The original post on the thread? Does he say it's on the new album?

PostPosted: Sat July 20, 2013 2:37 pm 
The Master

harmless wrote:
Strat wrote:

"uh, we uh, uh, yea, we are gonna try another new one on ya and we;ve got a guest who helped us make this new record...."

PostPosted: Sat July 20, 2013 2:39 pm 

Strat wrote:
harmless wrote:
Strat wrote:

"uh, we uh, uh, yea, we are gonna try another new one on ya and we;ve got a guest who helped us make this new record...."

Ah fuck. The guest is Brendan? On piano? So the piano will be on the album?

PostPosted: Sat July 20, 2013 2:40 pm 
The Master

Yup.

Also, i fucking hate Booms keyboards. Along with being a horrible player, the sound of it is just brutal. ITs 1 step above a casio keyboard.

When Benmont played - he had a meaty Grand Piano that was thunderous and beautiful.

how the hell is monkey fingers going to play this song anyway?

PostPosted: Sat July 20, 2013 2:45 pm 
Future Drummer

there is absolutely nothing redeeming about this song. really, really, really bad.

PostPosted: Sat July 20, 2013 2:46 pm 
Future Drummer

Tuolumne wrote:
This is a step forward and continued progress for the band. The song has lift, dynamics, slower sections with melody, and then the rocking parts that take the song to a different place. Not sure if it comes through on the YouTube audio, but there are some nice Binaural era arpeggios going on. And Mike is using an ebow and just shredding it. I'm not sure we've ever seen him use that. Maybe comes from his soundtrack work. If I were to describe it, I'd say its Binaural meets Backspacer. It still has the melodic tightness I like in Backspacer (which I'm a fan of, suck it haters) but some added song structure from the Ed binaural tracks. The hook of the song is Backspacer and the jam is Binaural live era to me. Just my opinion. I think this is what Mike was talking about as an extension of Backspacer. It takes some of the stuff they developed and stretched it out, made it jammier and more solos.

PostPosted: Sat July 20, 2013 2:46 pm 

But if Monkey Fingers isn't playing this song here, why do you think he'll play it at all?

PostPosted: Sat July 20, 2013 2:47 pm 

I'm hoping this song is PJ's 'Beth / Rest'. At first it inspires a WTF, but eventually it still inspires the WTF but you like it anyway.

PostPosted: Sat July 20, 2013 2:48 pm 
Future Drummer

The piano physically pains me. The only other song that gives me such an adverse reaction is the studio speed of sound.Just no.

As far as i can tell its just tacked on to the start and end. It's unnecessary, which wouldn't matter that much if it didn't also sound like shit. It sounds like music that accompanies a shitty wedding montage or something, something cheesier, a youtube montage of someones dead pet dog, that's the one.

PostPosted: Sat July 20, 2013 2:49 pm 
I've been POOSSTTIiiEEnngeeaahh

This song will sound great as back ground music for Oprah's next dinner party.

PostPosted: Sat July 20, 2013 2:49 pm 

Tuolumne wrote:
Alright, so I was there, and on the field, and got to hear a very crystal clear version of the song. My initial thoughts:

I know some people want them to go backwards like No Code era or something. But to me that's akin to when Ten era fans got mad when they got into the middle period. They've been through this before.

Oops, this was supposed to be for Lightning Bolt. Don't know how to fix, I'm on an iPad.

I find it really funny that this post contains both "Suck it, haters" and "Just my opinion."

PostPosted: Sat July 20, 2013 2:51 pm 

"THIS IS PROGRESS. IT'S NOT 2009 ANYMORE!"

PostPosted: Sat July 20, 2013 3:37 pm 
Rank This Poster

I honestly don't know about this one.

PostPosted: Sat July 20, 2013 4:18 pm 
AnalLog

stupidmop wrote:
The piano physically pains me. The only other song that gives me such an adverse reaction is the studio speed of sound.Just no.

As far as i can tell its just tacked on to the start and end. It's unnecessary, which wouldn't matter that much if it didn't also sound like shit. It sounds like music that accompanies a shitty wedding montage or something, something cheesier, a youtube montage of someones dead pet dog, that's the one.

Agree about the piano, pretty much ruins the song for me too, even though I wasn't that into it to begin with. I think it's a good possibility that this one is on the Out of the Furnace soundtrack. If that movie is dropping in Dec, he's got an opportunity now to try out a few solo songs live in addition to new material from LB.

Last edited by Revelator on Sat July 20, 2013 4:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1574 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 79  Next

Board index » Watched from the Window ... » Pearl Jam