The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Watched from the Window ... » Pearl Jam

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1574 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 79  Next

Rate future days
5 stars 8%  8%  [ 7 ]
4 stars 9%  9%  [ 8 ]
3 stars 20%  20%  [ 19 ]
2 stars 24%  24%  [ 22 ]
1 star 40%  40%  [ 37 ]
Total votes : 93
 Post subject: Re: New Song: Future Days (Lightning Bolt)
PostPosted: Sat July 20, 2013 4:19 pm 
10Club Complaint Department

Revelator wrote:
stupidmop wrote:
The piano physically pains me. The only other song that gives me such an adverse reaction is the studio speed of sound.Just no.

As far as i can tell its just tacked on to the start and end. It's unnecessary, which wouldn't matter that much if it didn't also sound like shit. It sounds like music that accompanies a shitty wedding montage or something, something cheesier, a youtube montage of someones dead pet dog, that's the one.

Agree about the piano, pretty much ruins the song for me too, even though I wasn't that into it to begin with. I think it's a good possibility that this one is on the Out of the Furnace soundtrack. If that movie is dropping in Dec, what better chance for him to try out those songs live in addition to new material from LB.

He says it's on the album in the video, no?

PostPosted: Sat July 20, 2013 4:21 pm 
The Master

harmless wrote:
Revelator wrote:
stupidmop wrote:
The piano physically pains me. The only other song that gives me such an adverse reaction is the studio speed of sound.Just no.

As far as i can tell its just tacked on to the start and end. It's unnecessary, which wouldn't matter that much if it didn't also sound like shit. It sounds like music that accompanies a shitty wedding montage or something, something cheesier, a youtube montage of someones dead pet dog, that's the one.

Agree about the piano, pretty much ruins the song for me too, even though I wasn't that into it to begin with. I think it's a good possibility that this one is on the Out of the Furnace soundtrack. If that movie is dropping in Dec, what better chance for him to try out those songs live in addition to new material from LB.

Technically no, but the way he introduced it made it seem as though it was recorded for the new album with BOB

PostPosted: Sat July 20, 2013 4:35 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

Strat wrote:
harmless wrote:
Revelator wrote:
stupidmop wrote:

Technically no, but the way he introduced it made it seem as though it was recorded for the new album with BOB

Don't we already have the track list for that soundtrack ? I don't remember a song called future days on it

PostPosted: Sat July 20, 2013 4:36 pm 

Dr. Van Nostrand wrote:
Strat wrote:
harmless wrote:
Revelator wrote:
stupidmop wrote:

Don't we already have the track list for that soundtrack ? I don't remember a song called future days on it

I thought we did too.

PostPosted: Sat July 20, 2013 4:36 pm 
Broken Tamborine

You could tack in the lyrics "I'm thumbing my way back to Heaven" anywhere in this song and I don't think anyone would bat a (sleepy) eye.....

PostPosted: Sat July 20, 2013 4:38 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

I think this song is really nice, i think it will sound great with a studio version, but its barely pearl jam, i love eds solo stuff and this seems like it should have been on his next solo album since it seems the rest of the band isn't involved. Though if he was just singing and stone was playing guitar then that would make it feel like a PJ song

PostPosted: Sat July 20, 2013 4:39 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

Iowaska_Experience wrote:
You could tack in the lyrics "I'm thumbing my way back to Heaven" anywhere in this song and I don't think anyone would bat a (sleepy) eye.....

Thumbing my way is what i thought it sounded like right at first

PostPosted: Sat July 20, 2013 4:40 pm 

Except that Thumbing My Way was a great song, this isn't.

PostPosted: Sat July 20, 2013 4:53 pm 
Stone's Bitch

harmless wrote:

Let's not get too carried away.

This is a nice song. That's about all I can say right now w/o hearing what they do with a proper studio cut. It could end up sounding very different, as I shouldn't have to tell you. Obvious example is Speed of Sound. Maybe this will be the reverse of that.

PostPosted: Sat July 20, 2013 4:59 pm 

evenslow wrote:
harmless wrote:

Let's not get too carried away.

This is a nice song. That's about all I can say right now w/o hearing what they do with a proper studio cut. It could end up sounding very different, as I shouldn't have to tell you. Obvious example is Speed of Sound. Maybe this will be the reverse of that.

It already isn't the reverse of that, given the shitty Brendan piano we already know is on it (for no reason I can possibly fathom).

PostPosted: Sat July 20, 2013 5:02 pm 
TIER 1 Essential Critical Infrastructure Worker

If this is the new album's slow song I'm a little disappointed. I'm usually a sucker for Ed ballads and I'm sure I'll give it a few listens on the record but this doesn't do anything me now. I'd say this one he should have saved for a solo album instead of Pearl Jam. To me it sounds a lot like Better Days.
And as for now Love Boat Captain stays the only Pearl Jam song that should have a part for a keyboard.

Last edited by Biff Pocoroba on Sat July 20, 2013 5:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat July 20, 2013 5:05 pm 

This one will live or die in the studio, imo.

PostPosted: Sat July 20, 2013 5:09 pm 
NYUCK NYUCK NYUCK

It's funny to me that people are taking issue with the piano. That's the least of this song's problems.

PostPosted: Sat July 20, 2013 5:10 pm 
jeeeesus relax already

seems like a eddie solo song...i liked the piano, but what the hell..i want the whole band to be attach to this, like small town, daughter, even fucking better man.

PostPosted: Sat July 20, 2013 5:11 pm 

theplatypus wrote:
It's funny to me that people are taking issue with the piano. That's the least of this song's problems.

Not really. You're at a boring dinner party, which is not a disaster but it's boring, so you think I'm gonna get drunk to improve it, and then someone shits in the punch. That's the piano.

PostPosted: Sat July 20, 2013 5:11 pm 
Guys, I am not a moderator! I swear to God! Why does everyone think I'm a moderator?

I'm ok with the lightning song, but not this. I want a PJ album, not an EV solo album.

PostPosted: Sat July 20, 2013 5:14 pm 
NYUCK NYUCK NYUCK

harmless wrote:
theplatypus wrote:

Not really. You're at a boring dinner party, which is not a disaster but it's boring, so you think I'm gonna get drunk to improve it, and then someone shits in the punch. That's the piano.

On the other hand, the punch-shitter elevates the evening from a completely uninspiring dinner party to something memorable.

I think the piano really works, especially at the start of the song. It adds color and melodic flourishes to an otherwise forgettable little ditty. The ending does seem unnecessary.

PostPosted: Sat July 20, 2013 5:18 pm 

theplatypus wrote:
harmless wrote:
theplatypus wrote:

On the other hand, the punch-shitter elevates the evening from a completely uninspiring dinner party to something memorable.

I think the piano really works, especially at the start of the song. It adds color and melodic flourishes to an otherwise forgettable little ditty. The ending does seem unnecessary.

I don't hate the piano. And yes, the song is an unforgettable little ditty that might sound sonically beautiful due to production and instrumentation. What I don't like is the high possibility that this was an Ed guitar song that Brendan wanted to join in on, so they threw him a bone by letting him tinkle keys on the (pointless) intro and outro. The piano is clearly not a crucial part of this song. Imagine if Matt played a rock rhythm for the first few bars of a song, then *crashed*, played nothing for the next three minutes, and finished the song with a little drum solo. That would be funnier but this is the same thing, essentially.

PostPosted: Sat July 20, 2013 5:18 pm 
NYUCK NYUCK NYUCK

Nevermind. I was going by memory. I'm listening to it again. I like the keyboards throughout the verse, not the twinkly piano.

PostPosted: Sat July 20, 2013 5:19 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

theplatypus wrote:

I would say 'among(st)'

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1574 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 79  Next

Board index » Watched from the Window ... » Pearl Jam