1 star
11%

Total votes : 18

Song of the Moment: Whale Song

Fri December 28, 2012 5:39 pm

old thread archived here

Re: Song of the Moment: Whale Song

Tue October 24, 2017 5:42 am

I dont know what it is. I find this song fascinating. I dont get it. I just like it. I recognize it is horrible. And yet I like it.

Tue October 24, 2017 5:56 am

Top 20 song for me.

Tue October 24, 2017 6:03 am

It is not horrible. It is what I like to refer to as "a slice of greatness". Or "oddly superb".

Or the opposite of horrible,
but with backup vocal Vedder.
You know, like a good cheese;
Perhaps a sharp cheddar.

Tue October 24, 2017 1:41 pm

*starts 'Live versions of Whale Song' thread*

Tue October 24, 2017 1:47 pm

i never get tired of this song

Tue October 24, 2017 2:07 pm

Dr. Van Nostrand wrote:i never get tired of this song

Me neither. Plus, it gets me nostalgic for that No Code/Yield era where they had this great ability to write these quirky, yet very groovy songs.

Tue October 24, 2017 5:02 pm

Great song. Especially love...

If I was lost at sea. That harpoon boat in front of me. It's the whale I'd like to be.

... into that snare hit and guitar solo.

Tue October 24, 2017 10:23 pm

Some fantastic guitar work in this one. Miss the days of weird & creative songs like this. Over the years it's crept in to my top 30-ish of PJ tunes.

Tue October 24, 2017 10:27 pm

swan wrote:Some fantastic guitar work in this one. Miss the days of weird & creative songs like this. Over the years it's crept in to my top 30-ish of PJ tunes.

This song is like the peak of a certain textural aesthetic they had in the mid-90s. Those bombastic garage rock drums, the psychedelic guitars, some dry acoustic guitar to fill things out. And the kicker is they likely didn't spend any time even thinking about that stuff; they just let BOB and his engineers set up and press record. Everything sounded like Led Zeppelin, where now everything sounds like...I don't know...Blink 182 or something.

Tue October 24, 2017 11:45 pm

Fantastic track, I really love it.

Wed October 25, 2017 1:20 am

they won't fight back

Wed October 25, 2017 1:58 am

I just listened to this song for the first time since... well, I have no idea when I last listened to it. Let's just say it's been a very long time. I enjoyed it a lot more than I remembered. The last minute or so is great.

Thu October 26, 2017 4:05 am

spike wrote:possibly the best thing pearl jam has done, and i'm not kidding.

Thu October 26, 2017 5:29 am

I’m glad I’m not the only one who loves this song. The last time I listened through the catalogue I was surprised at how much I enjoyed it.

Thu October 26, 2017 7:28 pm

tragabigzanda wrote:
swan wrote:Some fantastic guitar work in this one. Miss the days of weird & creative songs like this. Over the years it's crept in to my top 30-ish of PJ tunes.

This song is like the peak of a certain textural aesthetic they had in the mid-90s. Those bombastic garage rock drums, the psychedelic guitars, some dry acoustic guitar to fill things out. And the kicker is they likely didn't spend any time even thinking about that stuff; they just let BOB and his engineers set up and press record. Everything sounded like Led Zeppelin, where now everything sounds like...I don't know...Blink 182 or something.

You hit the nail on the head, sir. Blink-182 might be a bit much for the comparison, but maybe I just really don't want it to be true..

Thu October 26, 2017 7:51 pm

Listening right now.

I love it. Ed´s vocals are so fucking good i miss those background baritone appearances...

Thu October 26, 2017 7:52 pm

I'd rank Whale Song and Happy When I'm Crying as two of my favorite non-album tracks

Thu October 26, 2017 9:18 pm

bodysnatcher wrote:I'd rank Whale Song and Happy When I'm Crying as two of my favorite non-album tracks

Whale Song top 20, HWIC top 10

Thu October 26, 2017 9:21 pm

mikejasond wrote:I dont know what it is. I find this song fascinating. I dont get it. I just like it. I recognize it is horrible. And yet I like it.

This is so weird. Why would you think it's horrible if you like it? Expand your horizons man.
Post a reply