The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Watched from the Window ... » Pearl Jam

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 185 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
 Post subject: Re: Pearl Jam Trading Cards
PostPosted: Fri July 19, 2013 1:43 pm 
RM Elitist

I agree that most of the PJ Merch is way over the top, but frankly these cards are a fun little way to commemorate a show that probably carries some special meaning for the band- specifically Ed.

Im pretty critical of this band for a lot of what they do in terms of how their marketed and how they take advantage of their fans, but I really like the cards.

*with the caveat of course that they produced enough so that it doesn't become a super expensive collectible.

PostPosted: Fri July 19, 2013 3:25 pm 
Guys, I am not a moderator! I swear to God! Why does everyone think I'm a moderator?

@SkitchP wrote:

*with the caveat of course that they produced enough so that it doesn't become a super expensive collectible.

PostPosted: Fri July 19, 2013 6:20 pm 
AnalLog

it's not even the band/10C that bothers me, it's the fans and crazies who buy this shit for obscene prices. It ain't 1998 anymore

PostPosted: Fri July 19, 2013 6:27 pm 
Broken Tamborine

gardenparty wrote:
it's not even the band/10C that bothers me, it's the fans and crazies who buy this shit for obscene prices. It ain't 1998 anymore

The Tenablers, if you will.

PostPosted: Fri July 19, 2013 6:36 pm 
Rank This Poster

gardenparty wrote:

Why does that bother you? Because some people value the band as much as they did in 1998? If I connected with this band like i did in 98 id be all over this stuff.

PostPosted: Fri July 19, 2013 6:59 pm 
The worst

gardenparty wrote:

Perhaps you should send 10c a comprehensive list of acceptable merchandise and prices

Running TSIS Review

I Am No Guide - Pearl Jam Song by Song - Coming this July!
He/Him/His

PostPosted: Fri July 19, 2013 7:15 pm 
AnalLog

Thejambi wrote:
gardenparty wrote:

Why does that bother you? Because some people value the band as much as they did in 1998? If I connected with this band like i did in 98 id be all over this stuff.

with my 1998 comment i meant i miss those days. Every year we see more and more merch and people are willing to pay more and more for it. To each their own as they can do whatever they want with their money. If you want to spend $240 on a box of baseball cards go for it.

Back in 1998 the merch wasn't that big of a deal. I used to be able to pick up a poster halfway through a show. I miss when the focus was more on the music than what posters, tshirts and other assorted crap you owned. Even on the old Vitalogy forums you didn't see poster and merch threads pop up until 00's

PostPosted: Fri July 19, 2013 7:52 pm 
Rank This Poster

gardenparty wrote:
Thejambi wrote:
gardenparty wrote:

with my 1998 comment i meant i miss those days. Every year we see more and more merch and people are willing to pay more and more for it. To each their own as they can do whatever they want with their money. If you want to spend $240 on a box of baseball cards go for it.

Back in 1998 the merch wasn't that big of a deal. I used to be able to pick up a poster halfway through a show. I miss when the focus was more on the music than what posters, tshirts and other assorted crap you owned. Even on the old Vitalogy forums you didn't see poster and merch threads pop up until 00's

I'll be honest...if they weren't $40 i'd be all over that No Code collar for my dog.

PostPosted: Fri July 19, 2013 8:30 pm 
AnalLog

Thejambi wrote:
gardenparty wrote:
Thejambi wrote:
gardenparty wrote:

I'll be honest...if they weren't $40 i'd be all over that No Code collar for my dog.

it sure beats the shit out of the Mother Love Bone one

PostPosted: Sat July 20, 2013 7:10 pm 
AnalLog

Thejambi wrote:
gardenparty wrote:
Thejambi wrote:
gardenparty wrote:

Almost $50 with shipping! I'd pay $25.

PostPosted: Sat July 20, 2013 7:12 pm 
10Club Complaint Department

Rangi Guy wrote:
--- wrote:
COLLECT BOTH WIVES

:thumbsup: :haha:

I wet myself at that one.

PostPosted: Sat July 20, 2013 7:34 pm 
Troglodyte
 WWW  Profile

@SkitchP wrote:
I agree that most of the PJ Merch is way over the top, but frankly these cards are a fun little way to commemorate a show that probably carries some special meaning for the band- specifically Ed.

Im pretty critical of this band for a lot of what they do in terms of how their marketed and how they take advantage of their fans, but I really like the cards.

I don't even sweat the merch much. I mean, even the things that I mock like the dog collars or AnalLog don't make me mad. My thoughts are, if they make it, and people buy it, whatever.

That being said, why did they invite the entire city of Chicago to buy that merch without giving Ten Club members first dibs?

PostPosted: Sat July 20, 2013 7:37 pm 
10Club Complaint Department

gardenparty wrote:
Thejambi wrote:
gardenparty wrote:

Fans of this band always bought merch obsessively and to a ridiculous level. Nothing's changed. What's changed is the sheer amount the 10C is selling.

PostPosted: Sat July 20, 2013 8:07 pm 
jeeeesus relax already

harmless wrote:
gardenparty wrote:
Thejambi wrote:
gardenparty wrote:

Fans of this band always bought merch obsessively and to a ridiculous level. Nothing's changed. What's changed is the sheer amount the 10C is selling.

Agree. There seems to be more merch available in the concerts and in the web page, and its fine by me; with today industry is logic.
And the new merch is cool too.

PostPosted: Sun July 21, 2013 4:40 am 
Broken Tamborine

B wrote:

That being said, why did they invite the entire city of Chicago to buy that merch without giving Ten Club members first dibs?

I would've loved to grab a pack or two of cards and a pennant, but it was 95 degrees, the lines were long, and when I would walk up to the front of the line to check things out it appeared they were out of those things already (four hours before showtime). I know they said they were spreading out the quantities between days and I know I could have tried to get there earlier or tried to be one of the first into the venue to get in one of those lines, but I'd already felt defeated knowing that they had sold two-thirds of what they had produced before I even arrived in the city on the day of the show.

My ticket stub with the Cubs logo on it is my souvenir for the show, and I'm good with that, but I'll be watching the Goods section to see if I get a second chance at cards.

PostPosted: Sun July 21, 2013 6:03 am 
tl;dr

Are they the same trading cards that came with the Philly 09 box set?

Because if you want those I'll gladly sell them to you for $240.

PostPosted: Sun July 21, 2013 6:05 am 
tl;dr

Just went back through the thread--apparently not.

Oh well, offer still stands.

PostPosted: Sun July 21, 2013 6:07 am 
Rank This Poster
 WWW  Profile

Kevin Davis wrote:

No it doesn't, you changed it to $240. :cop:

PostPosted: Sun July 21, 2013 6:09 am 
Gone

@SkitchP wrote:
theplatypus wrote:
given2trade wrote:
verb_to_trust wrote:
You were given to trade......these cards.

I LIKE IT

He's pretty clever for a stroke victim

It's almost as if the stroke suffered him.

:cop:

PostPosted: Sun July 21, 2013 6:11 am 
tl;dr

WtOB? wrote:
Kevin Davis wrote:

No it doesn't, you changed it to $240. :cop:

I was trying to stay in line with Thejambi's comment above. I didn't want people to think I was gauging them or anything.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 185 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Board index » Watched from the Window ... » Pearl Jam