The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Watched from the Window ... » Pearl Jam

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 277 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 14  Next
 Post subject: Re: 30th Anniversary of Ten
PostPosted: Tue January 12, 2021 6:18 am 
A Return To Form

B wrote:
Why was that even a thing? Did they fit better into bins made for records? No wait, we were buying cassettes before that, weren't we?

The major labels were actively trying to kill vinyl in the late 80s / early 90s - so it was a way to save costs for record stores (and encourage the replacement) while not making them upgrade their shelves.

It was mainly the cardboard longbox, but a few labels used plastic clamshells that had the CD booklet up top and the CD case down below. The cardboard longbox sometimes itself was just a generic cardboard box with a window cut out so you could see the front and back of the disc, especially for older catalog re-issues.

A handful of bands (read: R.E.M.) complained about the waste. There was a brief period where they made CD cases that would fold down or transform from a longbox shape to a standard CD case after you opened it. (The first Vs. pressings came in one of those, though I only ever saw copies that were sealed in their CD case shape.)

The majors (mostly) eliminated all of that by the end of 1993. The hard plastic ones that stores used later did the same thing in a reusable way, but some of them came with the bonus of having embedded security tags.

I still have my longboxes from that era. I kept thinking I might frame some of them, since the artwork is often different and interesting, but they're usually nowhere near as cool as the vinyl artwork.

Btw - the bane of the 90s was the "tamper-proof" holographic sticker on the opening side of the CD case that you couldn't really remove without leaving the holographic gunk side of the sticker behind. (The copies of Vs. I bought on release day had the eco-pack and that fucking sticker.)

PostPosted: Wed January 13, 2021 8:43 am 
F.U.B.A.R
 WWW  Profile

That's awesome, I had no idea of those. Thanks for the insight.

PostPosted: Wed January 13, 2021 9:30 am 
Future Drummer

liebzz wrote:
If I remember correctly, these cardboard box things came first as additional packaging.

Not quite. The first retail CD holders were plastic clamshell things that held the booklet at the top for display purposes and the CD case would be at the bottom. When you opened them they would tear and the edges would be dangerously sharp and you could cut somebody with it.

Then they started getting fancy (circa 1990) and making cardboard holders that would either have the album art (like Ten above) or would be a generic "record company" placeholder thing with the album cover visible through a hole in the cardboard.

Then they did away with those in the mid-90's and record stores started investing in plastic holders that had to be opened with a key so that people couldn't steal shit.

Then a short while after that, they did away with the holders altogether and just started putting annoying security thingies on them, which is how it still is today, I guess.

PostPosted: Mon January 18, 2021 6:07 pm 
likes rhythmic things that butt up against each other

B wrote:
liebzz wrote:
I hope they instead release a 25th anniversary edition of No Code.

Me too, but no chance.

This.

PostPosted: Tue January 19, 2021 4:30 pm 
Fake NYC Setlist Relayer

Buby wrote:
B wrote:
liebzz wrote:
I hope they instead release a 25th anniversary edition of No Code.

Me too, but no chance.

This.

I mean, we have a hundred different versions and a full reissue of Ten already. For No Code, we just have a repressing. At least give us a new album packaging with a photo of Jeff Ament’s reaction to learning that they had already starting recording this before he was notified to be there.

PostPosted: Tue January 19, 2021 4:43 pm 
jeeeesus relax already

cant believe they actually did that

PostPosted: Tue January 19, 2021 7:40 pm 
Fake NYC Setlist Relayer

VinylGuy wrote:

What’s weird about it is that the aesthetic of the album to me would seem to appeal to Jeff Ament. Some off kilter timings, eastern influences juxtaposed against outright hard punk rock, blues inflections and spoken word. Switching instruments and vocalists. This is the sort of stuff I would thing he’d be 100% into.

PostPosted: Sun January 24, 2021 5:35 pm 
Major Dude

liebzz wrote:
VinylGuy wrote:

What’s weird about it is that the aesthetic of the album to me would seem to appeal to Jeff Ament. Some off kilter timings, eastern influences juxtaposed against outright hard punk rock, blues inflections and spoken word. Switching instruments and vocalists. This is the sort of stuff I would thing he’d be 100% into.

Sure. As long as he’s part of it.

PostPosted: Sun January 24, 2021 6:21 pm 
jeeeesus relax already

liebzz wrote:
VinylGuy wrote:

yeah, but it seems they didnt wanted him to know. Its so bizarre.

PostPosted: Sun January 24, 2021 8:37 pm 
The Master

I dont think " they " did anything.

Didn't jeff basically admit that he checked out and just fucked off to Montana to get away from it all and didnt bother checking in?

PostPosted: Sun January 24, 2021 8:42 pm 
jeeeesus relax already

still, they could have called him.

PostPosted: Mon January 25, 2021 12:59 am 
Rank This Poster

eddie vedder didn't want to wait for anyone to start 'no code'. that's why 'yield' has the title it does, he waited for everyone on the next album.

PostPosted: Tue February 02, 2021 3:31 am 
TIER 1 Essential Critical Infrastructure Worker

January 8th was the 30th anniversary of Jeremy Delle’s suicide.

PostPosted: Tue February 02, 2021 5:22 am 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

Didn’t Jeff not know they were recording No Code for all of three days? Most the album is full of room leak. It’s not like they cut side b and then invited him in to add basslines.

PostPosted: Tue February 02, 2021 7:44 am 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

To be honest, all Jeff missed was Ed and Stone bitching at each other for a few days

PostPosted: Tue February 02, 2021 7:52 am 
"Supersonic sucks."

Yeah, it's never sounded like a big thing.

I don't get the sense they were deliberately recording without Jeff; instead he was willingly 'out of the loop' (more or less) at the time, they'd started getting a few initial ideas together in his absence, and he ended up arriving within a few days anyway.

PostPosted: Tue February 02, 2021 5:47 pm 
Rank This Poster

bodysnatcher wrote:
To be honest, all Jeff missed was Ed and Stone bitching at each other for a few days

I liked this one.

PostPosted: Wed April 07, 2021 10:13 am 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

The songs were mostly written in the summer of 1990, first recorded together with Ed in October that year. But the actual recording of Ten is from 27th of March 1991 to the 26th of April 1991.

PostPosted: Thu April 15, 2021 10:00 pm 
Fake NYC Setlist Relayer

Tomorrow is 30 years since Temple of the Dog was released. I still wish they’d release a show from the reunion tour to celebrate.

PostPosted: Fri April 16, 2021 12:35 am 
Guys, I am not a moderator! I swear to God! Why does everyone think I'm a moderator?

liebzz wrote:
Tomorrow is 30 years since Temple of the Dog was released. I still wish they’d release a show from the reunion tour to celebrate.

Same. Preferably the one i was at but I’ll take any

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 277 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 14  Next

Board index » Watched from the Window ... » Pearl Jam