The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Watched from the Window ... » Pearl Jam

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1017 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 51  Next

Rate S/T
5 Stars 40%  40%  [ 4 ]
4 Stars 30%  30%  [ 3 ]
3 Stars 30%  30%  [ 3 ]
2 Stars 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
1 Star 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 10
 Post subject: Pearl Jam (self titled): Official Album Thread
PostPosted: Fri December 28, 2012 12:01 pm 
The worst

the original is archived here

Running TSIS Review

I Am No Guide - Pearl Jam Song by Song - Coming this July!
He/Him/His

Post subject: Re: Pearl Jam (self titled): Official Album Thread
PostPosted: Mon January 07, 2013 2:30 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

Listening to riot act for the first time in a while and really enjoying it has got me thinking that ive got a long plane ride to vegas wednesday night so ill have lots of listening time, and this one has been put a way for a while as well, im gonna see if it gives me the plesent supprise that riot act always seems to after a break

PostPosted: Mon January 07, 2013 5:15 pm 
jeeeesus relax already

i will listen to this on vinyl today.
See how the sides work here.

PostPosted: Mon January 07, 2013 5:49 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

VinylGuy wrote:
i will listen to this on vinyl today.
See how the sides work here.

im not expecting a big revival from it, but realized it has probably been the one that i havent listened to in the longest time. i love a lot of the songs on this album, but feel like im not gonna love them all straight through

PostPosted: Thu January 10, 2013 5:19 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

Not off toa great start, i fell asleep listening to it, could be because it was late but after i changes to something else i was wide awake. I think it is a good collection of songs, but doesnt have that good album feel

PostPosted: Fri January 11, 2013 5:08 pm 
Fake NYC Setlist Relayer

I love this album. A big part of it was how it is tightly associated with my experiences at the time, and that it practically single-handedly got me through the bar exam. I used to take the Shortline bus from the Port Authority to Middletown, NY daily in my prep, and the first album when I hit the us was this album. Somehow, it was perfectly times so that hearing "Gone" coincided with the disappearing view of the NYC skyline from the Jersey side, and I've connected with this album ever since (now a shocking 7 years later!). Aside from that strong connection, I've always felt there was a clarity of purpose with this album, and frankly the rockers rock and the slow tunes sink in. It's not as powerful on repeat listens as a Vitalogy or No Code, but frankly I don't think there are many other albums in the world that are, Pearl Jam or no Pearl Jam.

I will say that a lot of the hate on this album stems from people associating it big time nwith the "inferior" Gone. I think people loved the demo when it came out and were disappointed when it got worked up by the band. I think that left many people to see it as the microcosm (spelling off there) of the whole album. I can understand that. When I hear full band live versions of songs off Nebraska, they sound wrong to me. I can understand but in the end I find that this album is the closest personally that the band ever got to the magic that was their first 5 albums.

PostPosted: Sat January 12, 2013 2:43 am 
Yeah Yeah Yeah

This album sounds terrible.

PostPosted: Sat January 12, 2013 2:51 am 
"Supersonic sucks."

Reflection wrote:

Man, does it ever.

It's a shame, I don't think it's a terrible album. It's a significant step down from their best work but it's considerably better than Backspacer with much more interesting guitar parts. It really deserves better.

PostPosted: Sat January 12, 2013 3:00 am 
Yeah Yeah Yeah

Birds in Hell wrote:
Reflection wrote:

Man, does it ever.

It's a shame, I don't think it's a terrible album. It's a significant step down from their best work but it's considerably better than Backspacer with much more interesting guitar parts. It really deserves better.

I wouldn't say it's considerably better than Backspacer (which I like for the most part), but Avocado sticks out like a sore thumb especially if you're listening on shuffle. It astounds me that professional people can put out a record that sounds as shitty as this one does.

PostPosted: Sat January 12, 2013 3:34 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

Birds in Hell wrote:
Reflection wrote:

Man, does it ever.

I agree, mostly. I like Backspacer better, but otherwise, I think you're right. The sound really hurts it.

PostPosted: Sun January 13, 2013 8:10 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

I still didnt give this another go, but i am of the opinion that yes gone is my least favorite on the album, but not to a point that i dont like the album just because of it, to me i still think there are a lot of real good songs, but its just not a great album, its just a collection. and i would put Backspacer way above Avacado

PostPosted: Mon January 14, 2013 6:10 pm 
Fake NYC Setlist Relayer

3 stars.

I find myself not wanting to listen to this album after the first 6 songs.

PostPosted: Mon January 14, 2013 6:24 pm 
Poster of the Year

EJ wrote:
3 stars.

I find myself not wanting to listen to this album after the first 6 songs my ears start bleeding.

PostPosted: Mon January 14, 2013 8:01 pm 
The worst

i find listening to anything is less fun when my ears are bleeding.

Actually that's never happened but I'd imagine this would be true.

Running TSIS Review

He/Him/His

PostPosted: Mon January 14, 2013 8:15 pm 
Rank This Poster

4 stars. great songs, terrible sound.

PostPosted: Thu January 17, 2013 2:14 pm 
AnalLog

liebzz wrote:
I love this album. A big part of it was how it is tightly associated with my experiences at the time, and that it practically single-handedly got me through the bar exam. I used to take the Shortline bus from the Port Authority to Middletown, NY daily in my prep, and the first album when I hit the us was this album. Somehow, it was perfectly times so that hearing "Gone" coincided with the disappearing view of the NYC skyline from the Jersey side, and I've connected with this album ever since (now a shocking 7 years later!). Aside from that strong connection, I've always felt there was a clarity of purpose with this album, and frankly the rockers rock and the slow tunes sink in. It's not as powerful on repeat listens as a Vitalogy or No Code, but frankly I don't think there are many other albums in the world that are, Pearl Jam or no Pearl Jam.

I will say that a lot of the hate on this album stems from people associating it big time nwith the "inferior" Gone. I think people loved the demo when it came out and were disappointed when it got worked up by the band. I think that left many people to see it as the microcosm (spelling off there) of the whole album. I can understand that. When I hear full band live versions of songs off Nebraska, they sound wrong to me. I can understand but in the end I find that this album is the closest personally that the band ever got to the magic that was their first 5 albums.

:thumbsup:

Great write up. This album still feels fresh to me 7 years later. On S/T it doesn't feel like they were trying to do anything but write the best songs and record they could and in my opinion they succeeded. I only wish they had the balls not fade out Life Wasted and tell Mike that Inside Job belonged on a b-side :D .

These songs also hold up live. A big reason for me enjoying the 2006 tour so much was getting to hear LW, SH, MITS, Comatose, Unemployalbe, Comeback and Parachutes so many times.

PostPosted: Thu January 17, 2013 5:36 pm 
The worst

I heard come back driving home from work. I always forget how much I like that song.

Running TSIS Review

He/Him/His

PostPosted: Thu January 17, 2013 8:01 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

stip wrote:
I heard come back driving home from work. I always forget how much I like that song.

it is a good one, and not sure your thoughts on it, but the one that i usually forget how much i like it until it pops up on shuffle is Army Reserve

PostPosted: Thu January 17, 2013 8:10 pm 
Fake NYC Setlist Relayer

Marker
Parachutes
Army Reserve
the rest

PostPosted: Thu January 17, 2013 9:12 pm 
The worst

Dr. Van Nostrand wrote:
stip wrote:

it is a good one, and not sure your thoughts on it, but the one that i usually forget how much i like it until it pops up on shuffle is Army Reserve

I liked that one more when it first came out, but it's good. Not great, but good.

Running TSIS Review

He/Him/His

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1017 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 51  Next

Board index » Watched from the Window ... » Pearl Jam