The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Watched from the Window ... » Pearl Jam

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 27732 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 1366, 1367, 1368, 1369, 1370, 1371, 1372 ... 1387  Next

Rank Lightning Bolt
5 stars 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
4 stars 5%  5%  [ 3 ]
3 stars 41%  41%  [ 27 ]
2 stars 36%  36%  [ 24 ]
1 star 18%  18%  [ 12 ]
Total votes : 66
 Post subject: Re: Lightning Bolt: the official album thread
PostPosted: Tue October 19, 2021 1:31 am 
jeeeesus relax already

Pendulum is great i forgot its on this album. Man, what a great song. Its awesome live.

PostPosted: Tue October 19, 2021 1:39 am 
The Master

tragabigzanda wrote:
Strat wrote:
Sounds like a band that never became attached to their own songs they were writing. Both for backspacer and lightning bolt.

I remember in those lightning bolt celebrity interviews Steve Gleason rubbed them for taking so long since backspacer. Ed remarked “the next one will probably be even longer”.

I think they just took a break for awhile. The songs never had a chance to grow during inception and certainly not love. Bob perhaps produced what the band brought him.

But much of Riot Act feels similarly thrown together, and excels because of it. The opening drum hit to Ghost makes it sound like it's the second take. The tentative playing on TMW makes it sound like they got a chord chart and then just tried a couple passes. Help, Help and Half Full both feel like they got a general sense of the structure down then just let 'er rip.

LB has none of that. And that's what BOB should have been keeping his eye on. How do you take one of the all-time best live rock bands and make them sound dead?

You have them raise kids and start families.

PostPosted: Tue October 19, 2021 1:48 am 
Production Police

I feel personally attacked!

PostPosted: Tue October 19, 2021 2:50 am 
Fake NYC Setlist Relayer

The last time I heard this album front to back was likely November 30, 2019, when I wrote about it in the Pearl Jam journey thread. I actually said some nice things in there contemporaneous to that listen. So I should listen again outside of a song here and there.

It reminded me I don’t hate this album, I just grapple with the fact that it doesn’t measure up with how I feel about their albums from 1991-2006, and now add 2020. I should do that again but with Gigaton added to get the full measure. I won’t belabor anyone with it though - and I am in an intense Stones re-listen that has me feeling good about albums I tossed aside last time I listened.

PostPosted: Tue October 19, 2021 2:48 pm 
AnalLog

tragabigzanda wrote:
Strat wrote:
Sounds like a band that never became attached to their own songs they were writing. Both for backspacer and lightning bolt.

I remember in those lightning bolt celebrity interviews Steve Gleason rubbed them for taking so long since backspacer. Ed remarked “the next one will probably be even longer”.

I think they just took a break for awhile. The songs never had a chance to grow during inception and certainly not love. Bob perhaps produced what the band brought him.

But much of Riot Act feels similarly thrown together, and excels because of it. The opening drum hit to Ghost makes it sound like it's the second take. The tentative playing on TMW makes it sound like they got a chord chart and then just tried a couple passes. Help, Help and Half Full both feel like they got a general sense of the structure down then just let 'er rip.

LB has none of that. And that's what BOB should have been keeping his eye on. How do you take one of the all-time best live rock bands and make them sound dead?

I have a theory about this that I think I've shared on here before. Maybe I'm way off the mark on it, or just totally crazy, but here it is:

The band comes into the studio in LA with their various song ideas like usual, and they start working on trying to pull the songs together into full-fledged compositions, but for some reason, it's just not working out. Maybe it's time constraints, maybe it's interpersonal stuff, who knows? Whatever it is, Brendan notices and he's like, "This isn't going to work. This whole album is going to fall apart if there's not an intervention."

So he stages one by expanding his role from rock producer to pop producer. Instead of saying things like, "Let's try this part in a different key," or "I think you should shorten the solo," he goes and charts out entire compositions. Now he says, "Stone, Mike, here's your guitar parts. Jeff, this is what you need to do with the bass lines. Matt, do that time-keeping thing you do. We're rolling." I could see some pretty lifeless performances coming out of a situation like that, and I think it dovetails with Brendan's large font credit in the liner notes.

PostPosted: Tue October 19, 2021 3:38 pm 
known prankster

This fits in with my theory that Pearl Jam has become Eddie Vedder + Session Players since about 1994.

PostPosted: Tue October 19, 2021 4:52 pm 
Production Police

Brett wrote:
tragabigzanda wrote:
Strat wrote:

I have a theory about this that I think I've shared on here before. Maybe I'm way off the mark on it, or just totally crazy, but here it is:

The band comes into the studio in LA with their various song ideas like usual, and they start working on trying to pull the songs together into full-fledged compositions, but for some reason, it's just not working out. Maybe it's time constraints, maybe it's interpersonal stuff, who knows? Whatever it is, Brendan notices and he's like, "This isn't going to work. This whole album is going to fall apart if there's not an intervention."

So he stages one by expanding his role from rock producer to pop producer. Instead of saying things like, "Let's try this part in a different key," or "I think you should shorten the solo," he goes and charts out entire compositions. Now he says, "Stone, Mike, here's your guitar parts. Jeff, this is what you need to do with the bass lines. Matt, do that time-keeping thing you do. We're rolling." I could see some pretty lifeless performances coming out of a situation like that, and I think it dovetails with Brendan's large font credit in the liner notes.

:thumbsup: I totally buy this theory.

PostPosted: Tue October 19, 2021 8:46 pm 
Fake NYC Setlist Relayer

tragabigzanda wrote:
Brett wrote:
tragabigzanda wrote:
Strat wrote:

:thumbsup: I totally buy this theory.

I would be very surprised if that happened.

More likely, based on the thumbprints on those songs, they just fleshed out what they had, thought it was pretty good and figured Eddie’s lyrics and vocals would help carry the day. Eddie was probably pretty excited about having an album that sort of plays with the idea of mortality - be it personal or the mortality of an idea as metaphor, and the band was into it at the time.

BoB put the thing together, and no one felt strongly enough to fight back about the lifeless production and probably wanted to just get things going with a tour and bam, there you have it.

PostPosted: Wed October 20, 2021 3:36 am 
AnalLog

liebzz wrote:
BoB put the thing together, and no one felt strongly enough to fight back about the lifeless production and probably wanted to just get things going with a tour and bam, there you have it.

Hear the sirens.

PostPosted: Fri February 18, 2022 5:50 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

Kevin Davis wrote:
I am Stip.

Stip, I am.

"Do you like the song abbreviated MYM?"

I do not like it, Stip I am.

"Would you like it here or there?"

I would not like it here or there
I would not like it anywhere
I do not like the song abbreviated MYM

"Would you like it at a show?
Where you can feel that sweet Jamily energy flow?"

I would not like it at a show
If I knew they would play it, I would not go!

"Would you like it if it was differently mixed?"

I would not like it if it was differently mixed
Some mistakes just can't be fixed!
It's still the same damned song, you know!

"Do you think it could be saved
By a different drummer, like Jack or Dave?"

Jack couldn't save this song, no way
Neither could EITHER Dave -- A *or* K!
I hate it -- live OR studio!
I do not like it, Stip I am!

"Would you, could you like it more
Than a one-off song from a movie score?
Would you, could you throw it a bone
Over a mopey B-side, written by Stone?"

I would not, could not choose this racket
Over ANY song in this tournament bracket!
I do not like it, Stip I am!!

"Try it, try it again, KD!
Try it, try it, and you will see
Listen, one more time, KD
You will hear it differently."

Stip, if you will let me be
I will listen again, and perhaps will see...

Spoiler: show
I listened again...and I do NOT see!
Don't tempt me, I'll say it -- IT LACKS AGENCY!!
Even with a different drummer
It still would be a major bummer!
And even if it was differently mixed
It still should have been 86'ed!
I do not want it at a show
NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO
I do not like it, Stip I am!!!!

Brilliant.

PostPosted: Fri February 18, 2022 5:53 pm 
The Master

if only all of KD's long winded posts were so entertaining!

;)

PostPosted: Fri February 18, 2022 6:48 pm 
The worst

there is a direct 1-1 corellation between the length and quality of posts

I Am No Guide - Pearl Jam Song by Song - Coming this July!
He/Him/His

PostPosted: Fri February 18, 2022 7:56 pm 
tl;dr

Strat wrote:
if only all of KD's long winded posts were so entertaining!

;)

They are!

Only to me, maybe, but that's beside the point!

PostPosted: Tue February 22, 2022 6:21 am 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

VinylGuy wrote:
Pendulum is great i forgot its on this album. Man, what a great song. Its awesome live.

One of the highlights of the album for sure.

PostPosted: Tue February 22, 2022 11:06 pm 
AnalLog

Anders wrote:
VinylGuy wrote:

One of the highlights of the album for sure.

The only 5 on it for me. I want Sirens to be a 5 so badly, but its structure is just too jarring for me despite the fact that its sentiment and other aspects of it slay me.

PostPosted: Wed February 23, 2022 12:31 am 
The worst

I don't know if I have any 5 star songs on Lightning Bolt, but Mind Your Manners, Lightning Bolt, and Sleeping By Myself are close. And Yellow Moon, Pendulum, and Sirens are 4

I Am No Guide - Pearl Jam Song by Song - Coming this July!
He/Him/His

PostPosted: Wed February 23, 2022 1:28 am 
Rank This Poster

The vocals are the worst thing about this album.

PostPosted: Wed February 23, 2022 1:56 am 
Rank This Poster

Swallowed Whole would be a good song if Eddie wasn't way too loud and sounding like shit.

PostPosted: Wed February 23, 2022 1:57 am 
10Club Complaint Department

Leatherhead wrote:
Swallowed Whole would be a good song if Eddie wasn't way too loud and sounding like shit.

That song is like a cheese grater across the brain

PostPosted: Wed February 23, 2022 3:14 am 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

stip wrote:
I don't know if I have any 5 star songs on Lightning Bolt, but Mind Your Manners, Lightning Bolt, and Sleeping By Myself are close. And Yellow Moon, Pendulum, and Sirens are 4

Infallible
Yellow Moon
Pendulum
Sirens

are all 5 Star songs.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 27732 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 1366, 1367, 1368, 1369, 1370, 1371, 1372 ... 1387  Next

Board index » Watched from the Window ... » Pearl Jam