The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Watched from the Window ... » Pearl Jam

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 27706 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 370, 371, 372, 373, 374, 375, 376 ... 1386  Next

Rank Lightning Bolt
5 stars 2%  2%  [ 1 ]
4 stars 6%  6%  [ 3 ]
3 stars 39%  39%  [ 20 ]
2 stars 35%  35%  [ 18 ]
1 star 18%  18%  [ 9 ]
Total votes : 51
 Post subject: Re: Lightning Bolt - October 15
PostPosted: Tue September 03, 2013 8:37 pm 
likes rhythmic things that butt up against each other

harmless wrote:
wilkins wrote:
BO'B can go fuck himself with SBM; seriously, why do the guys bend so much to him and for something that was already released.

No matter what the song sounds like, this is a silly argument. 1) We have no idea which PJ songs are in fact older than the albums they're on, and some songs definitely are, like Betterman, 2) We have no idea which Uke Songs were just sketches for PJ songs, and 3) We have no idea whether it was adapted from Uke to PJ, or the other way round.

But Betterman wasn't released on an album before it was on Vitalogy. Neither was Can't Keep. What other songs were on studio albums before appearing on a Pearl Jam album?

PostPosted: Tue September 03, 2013 8:38 pm 
10Club Complaint Department

Dr. Van Nostrand wrote:
harmless wrote:
Dr. Van Nostrand wrote:
harmless wrote:
Strat wrote:
Future Days could work if these "Dark, moody, trippy" things came to fruition. Given the artwork and some of the lyrical themes we've heard, the whole "world is ending..." vibe could be a thing that Future Days closes off nicely....

I keep saying it but I really hope so.

i think the fact that so many have been able to develop a dislike for it over the last month or so is gonna kill any chance for them to like it on the album, if it wasnt played at wrigley then it might accomplish what they might hae been tring to do with it ending the album, but its too late now.

Fuck Wrigley. I don't care, it's a gig I didn't go to with a couple of botched live performances of new songs. If I can play this thing on a regular basis at home, I'll be happy. The album's context is irrelevant in a live setting anyway, no matter how good or bad the song is.

oh, i agree with that completely, just saying what i think everyone else will think. i like the song from the wrigley performance, and will most likely enjoy it more on the studio version, but for most, if they wanted to be the light end to a dark album, they should have kept it from everyone until the album came out

I totally agree with this. My feeling is that PJ had a purpose for it on the album, but they also agreed to BO'B playing it at Wrigley, because he begged them to let him like a child. Compromise. So yeah, in terms of the fans, that performance has probably rendered it DOA. But if we can forget it (and I can) I hope its purpose for the album is clear. But ah, I don't know, I'm still preparing myself to be wrong about everything.

PostPosted: Tue September 03, 2013 8:38 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

Blenheim Augustine wrote:
harmless wrote:
wilkins wrote:
BO'B can go fuck himself with SBM; seriously, why do the guys bend so much to him and for something that was already released.

No matter what the song sounds like, this is a silly argument. 1) We have no idea which PJ songs are in fact older than the albums they're on, and some songs definitely are, like Betterman, 2) We have no idea which Uke Songs were just sketches for PJ songs, and 3) We have no idea whether it was adapted from Uke to PJ, or the other way round.

But Betterman wasn't released on an album before it was on Vitalogy. Neither was Can't Keep. What other songs were on studio albums before appearing on a Pearl Jam album?

Hold On (Lost Dogs) > Hold On (Vs/Vitalogy redux)...?

PostPosted: Tue September 03, 2013 8:39 pm 
AnalLog

Strat wrote:
"my shadow left me long ago"
"understand where we d(w)on't go
this may pass
this may last"

This reminded me of:

Slow, love, slow.
Time's so fast.
Now goes quickly--
See, now it's past!
Soon will come.
Soon will last.
Wait.

Don't you know,
Silly man,
Half the fun is to
Plan the plan?
All good things come to
Those who can
Wait.

PostPosted: Tue September 03, 2013 8:40 pm 

harmless wrote:
wilkins wrote:

It's a fair point. But the song wasn't on a Pearl Jam album. Personally I'm happy that Pearl Jam solo songs are passed from solo project to PJ, and then back again, as long as these guys are involved and as long as the songs are good. And this song is great, IMHO. And it sounds like I might dig the treatment.

PostPosted: Tue September 03, 2013 8:40 pm 
RM Elitist

So now this thread is no longer about Lightning Bolt, it's about 2 guys talking about songs?

PostPosted: Tue September 03, 2013 8:41 pm 
Future Drummer
 WWW  Profile

enimmi wrote:
I just listened to the London, Ontario soundcheck song and it looks like this could be it. I can even imagine that I hear Ed singing "The fear goes away..." at the end. I will know for sure tomorrow. :)

Yes, please do confirm! :thumbsup:

Also, keep an ear out for the tour announcement video song... and I guess anything that resembles Cold Confession and/or Let It Ride. If anything we can get a confirmation that none of that stuff is on here. Awesome! Thanks!

PostPosted: Tue September 03, 2013 8:42 pm 
Broken Tamborine

harmless wrote:
harmless wrote:
wilkins wrote:

It's a fair point. But the song wasn't on a Pearl Jam album. Personally I'm happy that Pearl Jam solo songs are passed from solo project to PJ, and then back again, as long as these guys are involved and as long as the songs are good. And this song is great, IMHO. And it sounds like I might dig the treatment.

Would it be the first time the whole has sung on and harmonized on a song on a studio album?

It's OOOOKay!! Sometimes you'll find yourself...having to put allll yoooour faith, in noooooo faa-a-aith!! Mine is mine and yours won't take its place, now make your getaway-HEY!

PostPosted: Tue September 03, 2013 8:43 pm 
likes rhythmic things that butt up against each other

harmless wrote:
harmless wrote:
wilkins wrote:

I don't have a problem with that principle. I do have a problem with BOB sticking his beak into the song selection (and writing) process so these guys can be more 'relevant'.

PostPosted: Tue September 03, 2013 8:43 pm 

@SkitchP wrote:
So now this thread is no longer about Lightning Bolt, it's about 2 guys talking about songs?

Well, the Lightning Bolt songs...

PostPosted: Tue September 03, 2013 8:44 pm 
AnalLog

Prediction: Infallible and Pendulum will make or break this album. These two appear to have some nice potential based on these comments.

Infallible: It's an unusual PJ song, It has strong drum (and bass) lines and not so much guitar. The music sounds a bit aggressive & has a more contemporary feel to it than the usual stuff.
I found it to be rather long as well. Multiple guitars, backwards played open the song.

Pendulum
F: I loved Pendulum. I picture Ed in a dark and moody room, like in a club, but the feeling is very lonely.
Eds voice is very soft and extremely in front of the music (you actually can understand the lyrics very well). The lyrics are very dark.
It's really dark and kind of trippy.
Echo-y Piano Intro, like in a big hall. Dark mood overall.

PostPosted: Tue September 03, 2013 8:45 pm 

harmless wrote:
harmless wrote:
wilkins wrote:

I don't have a problem with that principle. I do have a problem with BOB sticking his beak into the song selection (and writing) process so these guys can be more 'relevant'.

Yeah, I can see that. If Brendan had begged me to put a song on an album I'd have said Fuck Right Off. PJ were happy about it, I'm presuming. Maybe there were other compromises, like the some of the darkness in prior songs. Maybe Brendan wanted a couple of light moments so there was some compromise.

PostPosted: Tue September 03, 2013 8:46 pm 
Future Drummer
 WWW  Profile

The second review makes me immediately think of Binaural and Riot Act more than anything else (...with a few Backspacer comments, of course... mostly in the 2nd half of the album)

And now I can see why the first review may have used the word "boring" so often... A first listen to a dark & moody album can often times be perceived as somewhat boring. This is probably similar to my first listen of Binaural and RA.

PostPosted: Tue September 03, 2013 8:47 pm 
Future Drummer

harmless wrote:
harmless wrote:
harmless wrote:
wilkins wrote:

Yeah, I can see that. If Brendan had begged me to put a song on an album I'd have said Fuck Right Off. PJ were happy about it, I'm presuming. Maybe there were other compromises, like the some of the darkness in prior songs. Maybe Brendan wanted a couple of light moments so there was some compromise.

He works for them, right? They don't have to compromise on anything.

Fake NYC Setlist Relayer

BOB did insist on Better Man making Vitalogy...take that for what it's worth.

AnalLog

Is the 1st review in this thread somewhere? I guess I only saw the 2nd one.

jeeeesus relax already

the worst part?

Ed will play Sleeping By Myself with a fucking uke in all of the PJ shows. ALL.

PostPosted: Tue September 03, 2013 8:48 pm 
Future Drummer

Maybe it was the commercial success of Just Breathe that drove the inclusion of FD and SBM and not a vast BO'B conspiracy.

Last edited by broken iris on Tue September 03, 2013 8:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue September 03, 2013 8:49 pm 
Fake NYC Setlist Relayer

harmless wrote:

Plus, I think the band (aka: Ed) is much more open to the idea of radio-friendly songs. And, well, we know BoB's opinion on that. Its more coin in his pocket.

PostPosted: Tue September 03, 2013 8:49 pm 
Future Drummer

VinylGuy wrote:
the worst part?

Ed will play Sleeping By Myself with a fucking uke in all of the PJ shows. ALL.

Haha, so sadly fucking true.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 27706 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 370, 371, 372, 373, 374, 375, 376 ... 1386  Next

Board index » Watched from the Window ... » Pearl Jam